NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you give an opinion of a person or company your full name needs to be in your post. Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
Old Cardboard

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main PreWWII Forums > Net54baseball Vintage (Pre-WWII) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-13-2013, 08:24 AM
Rick Probstein

Default Accusations

Gentlemen....
I find it puzzling that people with a strong sense of morality have no problem trashing people publicly with nothing more than accusations...

re shilling....
currently, we sell over 100,000 auctions a year, I'm the only person on my staff
that knows jesse haines is a HOF er...meaning, I'm crazed busy dealing with the operation of making sure my consignors items are presented correctly...plus I have 5 kids !! repeat: 100,000+ auctions annually...

on shilling, it takes place all over the industry...its a problem everywhere and except people dealing directly on net54 or buying cards at shows....
within ebay, sellers do not have access to bidders high bids...this differs with many auction houses where they have access to see who is bidding....
shill bidding is much worse in the auction house world in my opinion...

I always hear people want proof, well here is an example...
we just sold this item for $12,000 on ebay
" 1942 St Louis Cardinals Team Signed Baseball w/ Musial Slaughter + JSA LOA AUTO " ...the winning bidder triple bid against himself 3 times...meaning he was willing to pay more...did I get on my bat phone and find a bidder to jack up the price ...no ? Mike Q , posted on the thread, mike, have I have prompted you to bid on my auctions ?
we block bidders that we think are problematic...

we get strong prices primarily because we have created a culture where buyers know they can find great items either with realistic BIN's or auction of high end items that start at 99 cent...

as ebays largest seller , we will always be a target...anyone can say anything in a thread ...if you do see problematic activity, please call me at 973 747 6304 and I will address it ..thanks, rick
Old 02-13-2013, 08:32 AM
Nath.aniel Gr.ow

Just to be clear, my post was simply a response on the eBay v. AH issue generally, and not at all related to Probstein's auctions specifically. I've won one of Rick's auctions before, thought that I paid a very fair price for the item (below my max bid, in fact), and have nothing but good things to say about the experience.

Last edited by ngrow9; 02-13-2013 at 08:34 AM.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:35 AM
pete ullman

I suppose bottom line is don't bid more than you want to pay for an item...seeing as shilling has become the norm?!
Old 02-13-2013, 08:41 AM
Jeff

Rick,
In your opinion how many bid retractions does someone need
to become a problematic bidder? I would disagree purely from
a non-scientific and opinion based standpoint that there is
more shilling @ AHs than on eBay. The stakes and downside
seem to be much greater there than eBay. Could be wrong.

Jeff

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 40 years."
Old 02-13-2013, 08:42 AM
Matt Hall

Quote:
Originally Posted by probstein123 View Post
I always hear people want proof, well here is an example...
we just sold this item for $12,000 on ebay
" 1942 St Louis Cardinals Team Signed Baseball w/ Musial Slaughter + JSA LOA AUTO " ...the winning bidder triple bid against himself 3 times...meaning he was willing to pay more...did I get on my bat phone and find a bidder to jack up the price ...no ? Mike Q , posted on the thread, mike, have I have prompted you to bid on my auctions ?
we block bidders that we think are problematic...
That's a fascinating example... only 2 bidders above the 300$ mark, the underbidder only seems to bid on your stuff...

I guess the moral here is: we can be as paranoid as we want but we'll never get any definitive answers from eBay or AHs.

I think Peter hit the nail on the head with his last post.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:44 AM
Steven

I dont follow anything else except Cracker Jacks and Rick has soldquite a few 1914s recently well below market value fwiw.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:53 AM
Rick Probstein

Default In your opinion how many bid retractions does someone need to become a problematic b

I'm not convinced that this is what shillers do....
I get real-time emails when bidders retract and I click and look and I've never seen a consignor retracting....I would think that the placement of ceiling bids is more problematic....and by the way , I have LOADS of buyers that greatly dislike the fact that the MAJORITY of ebay items for auction have super high reserves,
they have limited time and the MOSTLY buy from me or PWCC cause they know they can win items without reserves....gee, where was all that shilling on the 1914 CJS ? meanwhile there is another thread somewhere with accusations that shilling happened on 1914 CJS meanwhile several of them went of low...can't be both ways

Last edited by probstein123; 02-13-2013 at 08:54 AM.
Old 02-13-2013, 09:14 AM

Default Fwiw

I join the earlier poster who said that you should bid what you are willing to pay. If its shilled beyond your top bid, then it will come back around again and perhaps your same bid on a re-listing might get it that time. Shilling is a very bad thing for sellers and buyers alike, as shown by the hesitancy to buy from Probstein despite 80,000+ feedbacks and 100% rating (IIRC). I've bought from him, and gotten the items I wanted at my price, or lost the auction. Never an issue. I don't consign to eBay sellers, as I can sell on my own. If I did, I wouldn't shill because of the risk that I'd win my item back, and that's not the purpose of selling. If I want to ensure a minimum price acceptable to me, I'll ask for a reserve, and sell it at that, or not at all..
Old 02-13-2013, 09:19 AM
Brock L.

Did that person actually pay the $12,000 for the ball. No way someone would be that stupid and pay that much.
Old 02-13-2013, 09:21 AM
Rick Probstein

Default Did that person actually pay the $12,000 for the ball. No way someone would be that s

Did that person actually pay the $12,000 for the ball. No way someone would be that stupid and pay that much.
==> they paid....musial items are super hot and this ball is very rare...