NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-31-2013, 12:54 PM
Mark Fox

Default Ever had a "Collecting Moment of Zen"?

I've been back into the hobby for about 9 months now but recently over the past couple weeks I've discovered what I'm calling my Collecting Moment of Zen!

I think it’s so easy to get wrapped up in prices and values with this hobby, because for most of us we have a finite and unbreakable budget with which to pursue our hobby interests and enjoyments with. And when I was involved in the hobby back in the early-mid 90s as a young boy and teenager, the hobby as my friends and I all saw it, revolved around the classic Becket Monthly and I think that is where my supposed need to buy at or below “book value” came from. I made the decision when I started back up last Spring that this was going to be a hobby for me, not a business and not an investment but I wasn’t treating it like a hobby.

I've spent a lot of time over the past 9 months researching sold/hammer prices and the values of so many cards, autographs and other miscellaneous items that it really bogged me down from simply sitting back and enjoy the hobby. I became too concerned with trying to find cards at cheap prices, and items at a bargain, as opposed to simply finding things I enjoy at a “fair” price.

So I’ve found my Collecting Moment of Zen and it’s made the past couple weeks in this hobby even more enjoyable for me.
Old 01-31-2013, 01:24 PM
Tony Ooten

Good post.

I'm hovering around the center of Zen, still trying to achieve perfect cardboard peace. I released several chains not many months ago when I started evaluating asking prices for cards based largely upon "feel".

Sure I still refer to SCD and ebay history as a lose guide occasionally, maybe even fairly regularly, and I still battle my OCD tendencies, but my decisions to purchase or not, or sell at a certain price or not, are based mostly upon the question: " do I like that card enough at $xx ? "

Another step toward Zen happened only a few weeks ago when I cracked about 40 cards from their tpg holders. I've always preferred raw cards, but if I bought a card in a holder, I hesitated freeing him... mostly because I think being encased makes it easier to sell if I change my mind about keeping it.

I finally made the commitment to a lot of imprisoned cards, got out the tile nippers, and commenced cracking. I'm now at peace with those cards taking a more permanent spot in my flat file and I've placed myself in a Zen like state regarding the decision to "crack and keep" amongst my pre-war type set.

Now if only I can find a balance with my monster set..... I'm in the process of upgrading. I think I see the Zen light at the end of the tunnel, representing a balance satisfaction, but I still have a ways to go. I still have a few dozen t206's in hard plastic, waiting to learn their fate.........
Old 01-31-2013, 02:00 PM
Bill K@sel

Great topic. I am just recently back to a zen-like place with collecting. I found myself frustrated and more and more disinterested in type collecting candy cards....I was continually looking for cards that didn't interest me on a personal level, but that I felt I needed to check off a box on a list. We can't all be like Leon!

I recently went back to a niche that I had made a lot of progress on in the past but had to sell off when funds got tight. I am tackling the HOF Portrait sub-set for T206 and couldn't be more at peace and happy with the decision. I'm not sure what it is about these cards, but I just enjoy them more than others. While I am off to a good start, I won't be pushing it. Part of the joy is the journey and the hunt.

Bill
Old 03-01-2013, 03:26 PM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

I have found that since I got back into heavy collecting the last couple of years that I have been doing it with absolutely no regard to boundaries. If I like it and I have the funds to out pay someone else, yet still pay what I think I wouldn't want to sell it for if I already owned it, then I buy it.

I don't find myself restricted by price guides or self imposed goals. I always wanted a 33 Goudey set when I started collecting as a teen, but have never stuck to a goal for doing it. If I find a Goudey or group of Goudeys and I am in the mindset to want to add more to that collection I will, but I pass over doing that quite often just because something else in the same price range has caught my attention.
Old 03-01-2013, 03:52 PM
Greg Mitchell

I found zen simply be deciding to only obtain cards that are (in my opinion) truly beautiful or at least very striking. Must have great centering (and usually great color) to boost that. So: swell to look at or even display, in rotation, with no relation to value. If obtained at "fair" price then it's all good. But aesthetics are the key.

Example below just obtained. Not a great or famous card, maybe not even a true beauty, but very cool. Or check out my new site displaying a few: http://bit.ly/VVImP9

http://www.net54baseball.com/attachm...1&d=1362178284
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 09heitmuller469603.jpg (63.8 KB, 130 views)
Old 03-01-2013, 05:37 PM
Belltown Vintage

The great thing about collecting non-pro cabinet cards and RPPCs, is that it's almost always about the aesthetic value. I love blowing up the images and trying to imagine what was really happening when the photo was taken.