NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-27-2013, 05:01 PM
Robert Williams

Default The downfall of the PSA boards.

Just an observation. I believe the influx of new members to the Net54 boards is caused in a major way by the downfall of the PSA boards. Everyone gets so tired of the soapboxing and name calling. That board has really gone downhill since I first joined many years ago. I am so thankful none of that goes on over here.....
Old 01-27-2013, 05:05 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
Just an observation. I believe the influx of new members to the Net54 boards is caused in a major way by the downfall of the PSA boards. Everyone gets so tired of the soapboxing and name calling. That board has really gone downhill since I first joined many years ago. I am so thankful none of that goes on over here.....
Bobby- are you being serious or sarcastic? I hope the later....
Old 01-27-2013, 05:30 PM
And.rew Whi.te

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMIZ5290 View Post
Bobby- are you being serious or sarcastic? I hope the later....
I agree with this statement.

I just hope that those fleeing the CU boards who have been the cause of their own issues understand it is a whole new world here. And I am not just talking about one poster in particular......
Old 01-27-2013, 06:55 PM
Robert Williams

I'm being serious.....all the things I am accused of over there. I am guilty of NONE of them...if Leon will allow me to, I can post something once and for all to get rid of all this bashing.
Old 01-27-2013, 07:05 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Bobby- I wasn't referring to you personally, I'm sorry. I have no clue what goes on with the PSA board or anything pertaining you. I was referring to things that are said on our board, where at times, bashing does go on whether we like it or not...
Old 01-27-2013, 07:15 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
I'm being serious.....all the things I am accused of over there. I am guilty of NONE of them...if Leon will allow me to, I can post something once and for all to get rid of all this bashing.
I would prefer not to bring other venue's issues over here....but it's an open board.
Old 01-27-2013, 07:19 PM
Robert

Default Ive known Bobby for years

I must agree with Bobby and must also say ive known Bobby since 2005 and have had several successful transactions, talks, trades and baseball collecting help with him. He is one of the last "class act" guys over on those boards. Welcome Bobby! And hope to hear more from ya brother.
Successful Transactions with: cammb, jim, sean1125,bobbyw8469, vintagetoppsguy, mintacular, rube26105, irishdenny, brick, Robextend,dboneesq, northviewcats, wdwfan, Dhogan, quitcrab, eliminator, Harliduck, tonyo, fetamore, hcv123, Bocabirdman, Casey2296,Aplyon86 Futbowl, pwang100, GoCubsGo32, Sidepocket, jcarroll84, DanP, YazFenway08, 4reals, sflayank, frazier and many others
Old 01-27-2013, 07:21 PM
Geordie Calvert

sigh

Wow. Just... wow.

Sorry, Leon. I'll do my best to be a good boy. There's a good vibe here, and I'm grateful to be a part of it.

Last edited by TNP777; 01-27-2013 at 07:22 PM.
Old 01-27-2013, 07:25 PM
Fred

Let me see... it's a PSA board... Something with those three letters indicates that it can't be a quality board like this one...

PSA = Posts Supervised Always
PSA = Petty Superficial Authority

There have been times in the past where things got a bit crazy and the ensuing train wrecks have been somewhat spectacular on this board... but overall, it's a great board.
Old 01-27-2013, 07:29 PM
Robert Williams

Geordie....you just don't know....I take alot over there. And am not the most eloquent at speaking when I get riled up. I can squash all this crap once and for all. All you got to do is ask.
Old 01-27-2013, 07:34 PM
Jim M.arinari

Leon,
Is there a way to bookmark a thread?
Old 01-27-2013, 07:35 PM
Jeff

Board Drama Quotient on the rise.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 01-27-2013, 07:36 PM
Robert Williams

The ironic things is....I am one of the most honest and trustyworthy members of the board. I laugh out loud alot when I read all the stuff about me. But I have heard it for YEARS now.....it gets old alot....especially when it isn't true.
Old 01-27-2013, 07:36 PM
Anthøny N. ex

Bobby, from my impartial observation, you've deserved all you've gotten and a lot more. My advice is to start fresh here and don't bring that negativity and questionable ethics over here- you were a large part of the problem.
Everyone deserves a fresh start in a new venue.
Old 01-27-2013, 07:37 PM
Geordie Calvert

I'm sure I don't know all, Bobby. I've seen a good part of it, though, and my opinion is that a large part could have been diffused if you were willing to step back and be objective and admit that maybe, just maybe, you might be wrong.

Exhibit 1: the Milton Bradley thread.

There's no doubt you've taken a beating on CU, and probably more than you deserve. Some of that abuse has been self inflicted, though. For you to insinuate that everyone else is to blame is just not believable.

That's my opinion, and I'm sticking to it.
Old 01-27-2013, 07:40 PM
Robert Williams

All...Milton Bradley....let's talk......If I show you a group of twenty cards (in rows of 10 - one Milton Bradley and one Topps). I let you pick 20 of your most 'knowledgable' collectors. How many people do you think would get 100% on the quiz? How many do you think would get 80% on the quiz? You might be surprised that more people would fail than pass.
Old 01-27-2013, 07:44 PM
banned
Bi.ll Hol.ler

Quote:
The ironic things is....I am one of the most honest and trustyworthy members of the board. I laugh out loud alot when I read all the stuff about me. But I have heard it for YEARS now.....it gets old alot....especially when it isn't true.
The ironic thing is.......that you have been called out numerous times for various perceived wrong doings not to mention flat out being wrong and refusing to accept it. Then there's the constant name calling and belittling others. Plus the Milton Bradley thread. Plus the '55 Mays that you not only knew was trimmed but had mentioned it in another thread. Then you completely deny having knowledge of it being trimmed when you get called out months later. I could go on for hours but I will digress.

I will give you credit for one thing, once you make a stance you never change that stance or bury your head in the sands like some others do. You will continue to argue with knowledgeable collectors even after they have proven you wrong.
Old 01-27-2013, 07:50 PM

Guys.

Stop.
Old 01-27-2013, 07:51 PM
Robert Williams

Plus the '55 Mays that you not only knew was trimmed but had mentioned it in another thread. Then you completely deny having knowledge of it being trimmed when you get called out months later. I could go on for hours but I will digress.

Ah....Bill....you've been banned from PSA.....so let's talk about WIllie Mays here....

Bobbyw8469....I hate you!! You TRIMMED CARDS!!

A) False. I have never trimmed a card. I don't know how. Too honest for that. I have also never KNOWINGLY sold trimmed cards.

Well.....what about the 1955 Bowman Willie Mays??

A). Ahh...the Mays. I bought that one raw from TriplePlayVintage off of Ebay. I sent it in to PSA for grading. They rejected it as trimmed. I threw away the rejection flip (as I used to do in the past), and put it in my raw 'trouble' pile. Then cards in my trouble pile got scattered with my normal cards. I honestly forgot all about it until I come across it. I sold it on Ebay raw. The winning bidder sent it into PSA and it got rejected as 'trimmed'. I refunded the buyer. I then sold it on Ebay WITH the rejection Card Saver and it sold. The winning bidder sent it in to BVG where it achieved a high number grade. So is the card trimmed or not? I know it now resides with a numeric grade. And the argument of one grading company saying a card is trimmed and another grading card company saying a card is good has been going on long before I got into the hobby, and will continue to go on if and when I leave this hobby. That is also another argument altogether. Next?

Added: I learned alot after dealing with that Mays. I learned not to throw away the rejection card saver. I keep the cards into those savers until I dispose of them. Check out the recent 1960 Aaron, 1962 Aaron and 1962 Mays I sold as trimmed. I do hope the winning bidder is able to get them into holders. It won't be me. Ok.....next?

Last edited by bobbyw8469; 01-27-2013 at 08:55 PM. Reason: added info
Old 01-27-2013, 07:54 PM
Geordie Calvert

Quote:
All...Milton Bradley....let's talk......If I show you a group of twenty cards (in rows of 10 - one Milton Bradley and one Topps). I let you pick 20 of your most 'knowledgable' collectors. How many people do you think would get 100% on the quiz? How many do you think would get 80% on the quiz? You might be surprised that more people would fail than pass.
See, this response shows me and anyone else that witnessed or participated in that thread that you still don't get it.

We were never talking about 20 cards in two rows of 10. We were talking about one card. One card that even to a layman was obvious that it wasn't a MB. I don't know why you continue to deflect the conversation elsewhere. I'm not a MB expert and have never claimed to be one. However, there's no question in anyone's mind that your card was just a plain ol' Topps.

Whatever. Back to the sidelines for me.
Old 01-27-2013, 07:55 PM

I tried.

Last edited by Sean1125; 01-27-2013 at 07:55 PM.
Old 01-27-2013, 07:58 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Ok, so there won't be too many of this type of thread so no one has to PM me about it. Moderation.
Now that being said, everyone who gives any opinion, at all, needs to have their name in their post. First and last name. If that is not good then edit your commentary out. This pertains to everyone in this thread (and is a rule anyway). I think this might be the biggest difference in this forum and the one being discussed. No anonymity when arguing or belittling someone. If you want to just talk about cards then your name can be private, only known to moderators. Also, anymore arguments from other venues, will need to be in the correct forum here. In other words, I would prefer not to have those issues brought here whatsoever, but if they are, and our rules are followed, then those threads should be in the correct forum (post war if that is how they originated over there) on this site. And lastly it bears reiterating what a few other board members have said. We are a different group. It would be wise to hang out a while and get the general orientation..... Same rules for everyone (no one reads them but still...) and they are posted. Carry on.....
Old 01-27-2013, 08:02 PM
Geordie Calvert

Sorry, Leon.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:03 PM
Robert Williams

I'm sorry too. I have just been attacked for so long. If anyone wants to hear what REALLY happened, all they have to do is ask me. I am farrrrr from the monster everyone makes me out to be
Old 01-27-2013, 08:06 PM
C.hris Bl.and

What does this thread have to do with vintage cards?

Type 1 photos of baseball HOFers
N172 Old Judge Portraits

Will buy or trade for the above. Check out my cards at:

www.imageevent.com/crb972
Old 01-27-2013, 08:07 PM
Robert Williams

The illni fan, I don't think the title of the thread has ANYTHING to do with vintage cards. The title of this thead was "the downfall of the PSA message board"? If it was about vintage cards, the title would have read (check out my 1951 Bowman Mantle). Not trying to be a smartass here, but come on......

Last edited by bobbyw8469; 01-27-2013 at 08:08 PM.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:07 PM
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by the-illini View Post
What does this thread have to do with vintage cards?
Maybe we need a separate forum for carryover PSA Board feuds.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 01-27-2013, 08:10 PM
Arthur R!ch

If you run into an a-hole in the morning, then, unfortunately, you ran into an a-hole. If you run into a-holes all day long, then you're the a-hole.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:11 PM
Geordie Calvert

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRBAKER View Post
That. Would. Be. Awesome.

Here's one of the favorite cards in my collection. NOW it's a vintage conversation.

Old 01-27-2013, 08:14 PM
Keith
ke.ith tem.ple

Wow. Learned a LOT about Prewar cards. Thanx a LOT, guys.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:15 PM
Robert Williams

Quote:
If you run into an a-hole in the morning, then, unfortunately, you ran into an a-hole. If you run into a-holes all day long, then you're the a-hole.
Now I joined this forum for healthy arguments and rebuttals. If you want to resort to name calling, why dont you just mozie on over to the PSA message board. I never resorted to name calling - that fact that you are shows your mentality.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:17 PM
Robert Williams

OK....Im gone.....if anyone wants want to ask me anything, I will be more than happy to answer them. Sorry won't respond to name calling. Keep that stuff in grade school, ok? Take care.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:38 PM
C.hris Bl.and

Quote:
The illni fan, I don't think the title of the thread has ANYTHING to do with vintage cards. The title of this thead was "the downfall of the PSA message board"? If it was about vintage cards, the title would have read (check out my 1951 Bowman Mantle). Not trying to be a smartass here, but come on......
This isn't my board, but actually there is a separate area for cards issued post 1941; so even your vintage topic would be off-topic.

Type 1 photos of baseball HOFers
N172 Old Judge Portraits

Will buy or trade for the above. Check out my cards at:

www.imageevent.com/crb972
Old 01-27-2013, 08:42 PM
Anthøny N. ex

The unfortunate thing is that everytime a board closes down, the baggage from that board gets carried over. Beckett closed down and it dragged down the PSA board, PSA has brought in a moderator again (like they did in '04) that killed it, but hopefully it won't drag down this board.
New board, new start. Don't bitch about what happened elsewhere.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:52 PM
Mike Navarro

Quote:
I'm sorry too. I have just been attacked for so long. If anyone wants to hear what REALLY happened, all they have to do is ask me. I am farrrrr from the monster everyone makes me out to be
I like Bobby (except when we are playing fantasy football), therefore I'll ask the question so you can tell whatever it is that you want to tell.

What REALLY happened? (and I don't even know what topic I'm asking about but have at it)

Mike
Old 01-27-2013, 08:53 PM
Fred

Can someone please summarize what just happened in this thread?
Old 01-27-2013, 08:56 PM
@ndrew woo.dfin

Quote:
I concur.

Member since 2009
Old 01-27-2013, 08:57 PM
Robert Williams

LOL! Mike, if you don't know by now, I can't fill you in...lol.....hope you are doing well. I am sorry that you quit your signed rookie card thread. I was glad I was able to help out in what little way I could.....
Old 01-27-2013, 09:07 PM
Mike Navarro

Quote:
LOL! Mike, if you don't know by now, I can't fill you in...lol.....hope you are doing well. I am sorry that you quit your signed rookie card thread. I was glad I was able to help out in what little way I could.....
The collect-a-holic in me is getting to me though. I'm supposed to be saving the proceeds but yet I find myself venturing back into Presidential autographs again. Been eyeing an Abraham Lincoln signed check that I'm very close to sealing the deal on, should have a JFK graph in my mailbox in a couple days, and toying with a deal on a JFK signed Profiles in Courage. I haven't been posting a lot on CU lately cause I'm sick of seeing that Bama avatar from my avatar bet, LOL. Only 10 more days to go
Old 01-27-2013, 09:12 PM
Geordie Calvert

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenavarro View Post
The collect-a-holic in me is getting to me though. I'm supposed to be saving the proceeds but yet I find myself venturing back into Presidential autographs again. Been eyeing an Abraham Lincoln signed check that I'm very close to sealing the deal on, should have a JFK graph in my mailbox in a couple days, and toying with a deal on a JFK signed Profiles in Courage. I haven't been posting a lot on CU lately cause I'm sick of seeing that Bama avatar from my avatar bet, LOL. Only 10 more days to go
That bet should have had a condition in it that required the loser to log at least 10 posts a day!
Old 01-27-2013, 09:32 PM
Barry Jock

Im happy this thread didnt turn into auction shilling
Old 01-27-2013, 09:41 PM

i dont go onto psa boards or really any other forums for sports cards but i hope that what ever was going on over there doesnt start on this board. i really like the collectors on this board for the most part they are very helpful and great to get info from. i hope that this board will stay the same with like minded collectors helping each other and none of the bull crap i hear on other about on other forums and i know that leon and other moderators wont put up with the crap.
Old 01-27-2013, 10:02 PM
qu@n nguy3n

the "psa board" is like some inside joke that only 5 people get. most here could care less about CU or what goes on there (or anything happening after 1942). on the other side i don't think most CU members can differentiate a '14 CJ from a '15...so i'm not sure what the mass exodus over here would accomplish?

maybe you guys can go post on the postware side and beef it up.
Old 01-27-2013, 10:06 PM
Dave K.leppel

Quote:
Originally Posted by esd10 View Post
i dont go onto psa boards or really any other forums for sports cards but i hope that what ever was going on over there doesnt start on this board. i really like the collectors on this board for the most part they are very helpful and great to get info from. i hope that this board will stay the same with like minded collectors helping each other and none of the bull crap i hear on other about on other forums and i know that leon and other moderators wont put up with the crap.
There are many like-minded, great people here and over on the CU boards. Sadly, there are always a few people in every bunch that allow the anonymity of the internet to go to their head and we start to see personal attacks and all sorts of unnecessary ugliness. It will never be completely eliminated, but my faith is in the vast majority of decent people who know how to behave in a civilized manner.

Cheers

Dave
Old 01-27-2013, 10:12 PM
Steve K@mmɘyɘr

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaddurbin View Post
the "psa board" is like some inside joke that only 5 people get. most here could care less about CU or what goes on there (or anything happening after 1942). on the other side i don't think most CU members can differentiate a '14 CJ from a '15...so i'm not sure what the mass exodus over here would accomplish?

maybe you guys can go post on the postware side and beef it up.
+1
Old 01-27-2013, 10:22 PM
bubblebathgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70ToppsFanatic View Post
There are many like-minded, great people here and over on the CU boards. Sadly, there are always a few people in every bunch that allow the anonymity of the internet to go to their head and we start to see personal attacks and all sorts of unnecessary ugliness. It will never be completely eliminated, but my faith is in the vast majority of decent people who know how to behave in a civilized manner.

Cheers

Dave

Very well said.

IMO, the PSA boards are actually stronger than ever now that they've laid down the law on proper behavior. Basically act like an adult and you'll be treated as such - same as on here, or any board for that matter.

I'm still very much contributing there and I simply want to augment my own fun with this hobby by posting here also. I think there will be some, particularly those who got in trouble with CU or kicked off, that will be badmouthing PSA here ... that's to be expected. But in general, most people there and here seem to have a degree of decency to them that I think will keep this hobby fun.
Old 01-27-2013, 10:27 PM
Geordie Calvert

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaddurbin View Post
if they don't know, perhaps some/most will stick around long enough to learn. Unless you fell out of bed one day and suddenly knew all there was to know about CJs, you had a learning curve, too.

Drama ebbs and flows in any online community. This isn't the first time acrimony from CU has spilled over here and it won't be the last. It has already been pointed out that there is a new mod on CU, and he/she is being very aggressive in enforcing the recently posted Forum Rules. There was a wave of bannings on Tuesday (that I myself was temporarily caught up in), and I'm sure there will be more. That is going to lead to mode new members seeking a place where there is a little more latitude. Some will quickly find this isn't the place for them, while others will stick around and learn new things.

As anyone can see, I joined back in '09, mostly to finish my T206 Superbas set. Once I finished I stopped coming around. When I got hit with the banhammer on Tuesday, I came back on to check things out. I quickly joined a few discussions and started learning. I'm glad I did. I plan/hope to stick around and become more knowledgable about prewar. Be patient with me and other CU refugees - we're not all bad seeds.

Geordie
Old 01-27-2013, 10:30 PM
Joe M.

Quote:
I agree, this is for vintage cards, not carry over arguments from another board.

Maybe these discussions should be moved to the chat room???

Anyone want to talk about Old Judge or T206?

Joe

Collecting Detroit 19th Century N172, N173, N175.
N172 Detroit. Getzein, McGlone, Rooks, Wheelock, Gillligan, Kid Baldwin Error, Lady Baldwin, Conway, Deacon White

Positive transactions with Joe G, Jay Miller, CTANK80, BIGFISH, MGHPRO, k. DIXON, LEON, INSIDETHEWRAPPER, GOCUBSGO32, Steve Suckow, RAINIER2004, Ben Yourg, GNAZ01, yanksrnice09, cmiz5290, Kris Sweckard (Kris19),Angyal, Chuck Tapia,Belfast1933,bcbgcbrcb,fusorcruiser, tsp06, cobbcobb13
Old 01-27-2013, 10:37 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmtiger View Post
I agree, this is for vintage cards, not carry over arguments from another board.

Maybe these discussions should be moved to the chat room???

Anyone want to talk about Old Judge or T206?

Joe

This is one thread Joe. It won't spill over into others.
Old 01-27-2013, 10:41 PM
pariah1107

Not to overstep my bounds Leon... I am sick of this! There is more to talk about than baseball cards, though not here. If you are looking for intellectual freedom leave your basements. This was an open forum for discussion of baseball history and/or cards, period. Not the 2nd amendment, mental health, criminal/justice system. Please don't make it more....

Please blackball me from this site. I officially resign.

Last edited by pariah1107; 01-27-2013 at 11:10 PM.