NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-26-2012, 12:14 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Default Have You Ever................

met a Net54 member because you were wearing a Net54 T-shirt at a place other than a card show, a card shop or any other hobby related venue?

I'm on the road for six weeks and wore my shirt yesterday and wondered what the odds of running into someone would be. So far the answer is nil.
I will update this thread if that changes.

The corollary question would be "If you saw someone wearing a Net54 T-shirt, would you speak to him(her)?

Feel free to chime in with experience you have had related to wearing the shirt, even if it is only a response such as ..... What the hell is Net54?

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 11-26-2012, 12:51 PM
T0dd M@rcum

I have not but would CERTAINLY talk to them. Along a similar lines, I often talk to people who I see wearing Marshall University stuff and a conversation is often stuck up with me for the same reason.
Old 11-26-2012, 01:29 PM
Andrew Hunt00n

Agreed, I would definitley say hello to someone in a N54 shirt. Without a doubt. I need to get me one of those shirts to wear at shows to see if I run into any members.

AndyH

The Great T206 Back Stamp Project: Click Here
My Online Trading Site: Click Here
Member of OBC (Old Baseball Cards), the longest running on-line collecting club www.oldbaseball.com
My Humble Blog: Click Here
Old 11-26-2012, 01:32 PM
Mike

I do not have a Net54 shirt as yet. I would certainly chat up anyone wearing one. I would expect that would be expected.

On a different note, I was once wearing a tee shirt for WAAF, a radio station in Massachusetts. The station Prize Patrol van whipped up to me on the street, noted the shirt and gave me 4 tickets to see the "Cockroaches" at a local venue, Sir Morgan's Cove. I thought, "Who the '$)%#?' are the Cockroaches?". I grabbed three friends and headed off to the show. (There were free drink vouchers involved). We arrived to find it was the Rolling Stones doing a warm-up show for the Tattoo You Tour.

Last edited by Bocabirdman; 11-26-2012 at 02:03 PM.
Old 11-26-2012, 01:42 PM

I don't have the shirt but would probably talk to a person wearing it.

I do have a story like others. About three hours away from my NJ town I grew up in, at a Maryland restaurant, I saw a car with a NJ license plate that had the Panther Paw Print on the back. They happened to park next to my brother's car. A lot of people from the town have that in support of the school, nicknamed the Panthers. There is no writing on it, so I was assuming that no other town in the entire state does the same thing. The people came out to their car while we were still outside our car, so I asked them if they were from Pt Pleasant and they looked shocked and one said, yeah how did you know. So I pointed to the paw print on the back and then we blah blah'd for about five minutes. Strange coincidence they parked next to us, three hours away from our small town
Check out my two newest books. One covers the life and baseball career of Dots Miller, who was mentored by Honus Wagner as a rookie for the 1909 Pirates, then became a mentor for a young Rogers Hornsby. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CV633PNT The other has 13 short stories of players who were with the Pittsburgh Pirates during the regular season, but never played in a game for the team https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CY574YNS
Old 11-26-2012, 01:43 PM
Pete
Pet.er ian.nic.elli

I would probably walk the opposite way, we are all a bunch of weirdos

W600 Cobb and Wagner
Sporting News/Collins McCarthy Jackson
Seamless Cobb rookie
Low Grade Ruth rookie

Cards:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/189414509@N08/albums
Old 11-26-2012, 01:50 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

btw, still have some of the T-shirts left....I will sell the remaining ones at $15 delivered if anyone wants one. I think I still have all sizes left...just PM me if you want to purchase one...They really are pretty nice and heavy duty, 100% pre-shrunk cotton....with small 2 logos and a nice, large logo on back
Old 11-26-2012, 02:04 PM

I'd be proud to wear a Net54 t-shirt, but I want to earn mine the hard way... by winning a monthly $50 contest!!

And, yes, if I ever saw somebody in public wearing a Net54 t-shirt, I'd just have to approach them and give them a thumbs up.
Old 11-26-2012, 02:06 PM

While in New York City, my dad literally bumped into someone he worked with. They worked together in Wisconsin.

So the story is believable, my dad says that's the one time in his 77 years that happened.

Last edited by drc; 11-26-2012 at 02:13 PM.
Old 11-26-2012, 02:13 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by drc View Post
While in a crowd in New York City, my dad literally bumped into someone he worked with. For perspective, they worked together in Wisconsin.

So the story is believable, my dad is 77 and that was a once-in-a-life instance.
Yes, weird but true.

Back in 1978 I was filling up my car at a gas station in Denver when I noticed the guy next to me had a bumper sticker from the same school in Texas that I was attending. We talked for a little while, then I drove off. A few days later I got a knock at my dorm room on campus, and guess who my new roommate was?
Old 11-26-2012, 02:16 PM
Tony Ooten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
guess who my new roommate was?
Janis Joplin?
Old 11-26-2012, 02:35 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyo View Post
Janis Joplin?
Tony, you just reminded me of a truly horrible joke. Have you heard the two riddles: 1st is about a man who loses a brick while trying to build a house. 2nd is about a cigar-smoker and an old lady with a poodle.
Old 11-26-2012, 02:40 PM
Tony Ooten

Quote:
Tony, you just reminded me of a truly horrible joke. Have you heard the two riddles: 1st is about a man who loses a brick while trying to build a house. 2nd is about a cigar-smoker and an old lady with a poodle.
Ha!
No neither riddle rings a bell.
Old 11-26-2012, 02:43 PM
Jimi

Default Pic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
btw, still have some of the T-shirts left....I will sell the remaining ones at $15 delivered if anyone wants one. I think I still have all sizes left...just PM me if you want to purchase one...They really are pretty nice and heavy duty, 100% pre-shrunk cotton....with small 2 logos and a nice, large logo on back
Leon,

Could you possible post a pic of the T-shirt? Thanks!
jimivintage@yahoo.com
Jimi
Old 11-26-2012, 02:52 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimivintage View Post
Leon,

Could you possible post a pic of the T-shirt? Thanks!
here ya go...and there is a sleeve logo too which can barely be seen but it's there..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg shirt2.jpg (52.6 KB, 170 views)
File Type: jpg shirt3.jpg (52.7 KB, 169 views)
Old 11-26-2012, 03:01 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportscardpete View Post
I would probably walk the opposite way, we are all a bunch of weirdos
So that's why people were turning around and walking fast.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 11-26-2012, 03:11 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Shouldn't this post be on B/S/T?

274/1000 Monster Number

Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 11-26-2012, 03:29 PM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Does it come slabbed or with a jsa psa/dna sticker?

On the note of strange coincidences. I was in Sydney, Australia, either the time I was there for the Olympics or in 2006 when I travelled there for my destination wedding (6 years ago this past Saturday), and a person walked by me wearing a sweatshirt with the name of the town in Massachusetts where I had owned a house for 9 years. They were from that town, Walpole, and were on vacation. Odd to meet someone 12,000 miles away with a connection.
Old 11-26-2012, 03:51 PM
J0N PEDEℜSѺN

I saw a Net54 shirt in the Cleveland airport a few months ago. Passed by on the escalator. Didn't track him down <>
Old 11-26-2012, 04:03 PM
Grant Rainsley

Well, it is against all odds for me to see another Net54 shirt anywhere near Powell River, BC..........better chance of winning the lottery I think......we have shirts and ball caps in OBC and it does help us find each other at card shows......but I'd like one anyways, so Leon, I'll drop you a PM.

Grant
Old 11-26-2012, 04:04 PM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

I was on a mission trip to Trinidad with a local Christian radio station and at the compound we were staying at there was a girl with another organization there I saw her wearing a shirt with my Elementary School Name on there which is in a small town in NE (Current population 15k).

I approached her and asked her about it. She looked at me strange and said she had never heard of the place, she had picked it up at goodwill and that she and her group were from Texas.

So now I don't approach people based on the shirt they are wearing, I assume they just bought it at goodwill and move on.

Last edited by bn2cardz; 11-27-2012 at 12:25 PM.
Old 11-26-2012, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grainsley View Post
Well, it is against all odds for me to see another Net54 shirt anywhere near Powell River, BC..........better chance of winning the lottery I think......we have shirts and ball caps in OBC and it does help us find each other at card shows......but I'd like one anyways, so Leon, I'll drop you a PM.

Grant
Hi Grant,

You might be surprised...there are at least 5 active N54 members living in B.C. (None that close to Powell River though, I think...)

Cheers,
Blair
Old 11-26-2012, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bn2cardz View Post
I was on a mission trip to Trinidad with a local Christian radio station and at the compound we were staying at there was a girl with another organization there I saw her wearing a shirt with my Elementary School Name on there which is in a small town in NE (Current population 15k).

I approached her and asked her about it. She looked at me strange and said she had never heard of the place, she had picked it up at goodwill and that she and her group were from Texas.

So now I don't approach people wearing shirts, I assume they just bought it at goodwill and move on.
Unless you live on a beach or in a nudist colony, you must not talk to many people with that approach! I have an opposite approach, I don't talk to people out in public who aren't wearing pants/shorts...but from a distance I will tell them to go to a goodwill if they need to. Seems safer that way to me. To each his own I guess
Check out my two newest books. One covers the life and baseball career of Dots Miller, who was mentored by Honus Wagner as a rookie for the 1909 Pirates, then became a mentor for a young Rogers Hornsby. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CV633PNT The other has 13 short stories of players who were with the Pittsburgh Pirates during the regular season, but never played in a game for the team https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CY574YNS
Old 11-26-2012, 05:09 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Default Free Booze to Shanghai

Last January we visited Thailand. I live in a small town in northern Wisconsin. On the leg of our flight from Chicago to Shanghai, I was wearing a golf club shirt from my club in Wisconsin. The flight took the polar route. I had a question for the flight attendant as we were nearing the North Pole. She saw my shirt and went crazy because her brother-in-law has a summer home there. We talked for quite awhile and my glass was never empty all the way to Shanghai, and no, we were not in first class. Finding someone at North Pole, who had been to our dinky little town, is a long shot in my book.

274/1000 Monster Number

Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.

Last edited by frankbmd; 11-26-2012 at 05:13 PM.
Old 11-26-2012, 07:17 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by drc View Post
While in New York City, my dad literally bumped into someone he worked with. They worked together in Wisconsin.

So the story is believable, my dad says that's the one time in his 77 years that happened.
When I graduated from High School a buddy and I went out to California for a vacation...we were hanging out on the beach in Long Beach and my pal told me to look over my shoulder at a hawt chick...I turned around and looked and thought she looked really familiar....then within seconds her brother walked right past me and we both about flipped. It was one of my high school classmates. 4 or 5 days later we ran into them again at Universal Studios.

And this is the reason I don't play the lottery, my one in a million chance was wasted on a chance encounter 1,500 miles from home.
Old 11-26-2012, 07:36 PM
Belltown Vintage

I was once sitting in a Denny's in Atlanta, talking to a friend about a girl I used to know in Texas. No lie - a girl in the next booth popped her head over and looked at me. It was her. I had no idea she had ever left Texas. We re-established our friendship and hung out together for several years. She moved again and I have no idea where.

If she responds to this post, I am going to crap.
Old 11-26-2012, 08:22 PM
Chris Browne
Administrator

I was backpacking around south east Asia with the wife and deep in the Cameron Highlands (Malaysia) one night playing a really drunk game of Risk I mentioned to another backpacker (he was a commercial pilot in Saudi Arabia) that a friend in my home town (nowhere east coast Canada) was in a plane crash and lived. He then quietly said my friends name, Mannish...no chance it was a lucky guess. He had met him at university10 years prior. All of our brains hurt contemplating the awesomeness of that random conversation.
Old 11-26-2012, 08:48 PM

Last June I was wearing my Net 54 T-shirt on the line for the Jungle Cruise at Disney World when someone nodded at me and acknowledged my shirt. When the line snaked around again I introduced myself and he told me he is a pre-war collector from Maryland(I couldn,t make out his name in the crowd) and that he frequents these boards. I remember telling my wife that the odds of someone recognizing my shirt were almost a million to one and that I should buy some lotto
Old 11-26-2012, 08:56 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Originally this thread had the Net54 shirt tie-in to keep it on topic. It seems to be evolving into the "most unlikely coincidental happening the farthest from home" thread, which most certainly would justify the OT designation, but I'm not going to change it. Love the stories. I have a few more I may add later.

274/1000 Monster Number

Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 11-26-2012, 08:59 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

When I was in the Marine Corps in 1979 I was stationed in Okinawa. I was on a 2-3 day leave in Tokyo, walking across the street, and saw a guy I went to high school with in Deer Park TX.....that was a long shot. We do have around 3500 registered members so there is a chance someone could see a Net54baseball shirt and know about it. If you are at a larger card show I would almost expect it.
Old 11-26-2012, 09:11 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by atx840 View Post
I was backpacking around south east Asia with the wife and deep in the Cameron Highlands (Malaysia) one night playing a really drunk game of Risk I mentioned to another backpacker (he was a commercial pilot in Saudi Arabia) that a friend in my home town (nowhere east coast Canada) was in a plane crash and lived. He then quietly said my friends name, Mannish...no chance it was a lucky guess. He had met him at university10 years prior. All of our brains hurt contemplating the awesomeness of that random conversation.
Perhaps he was just trying to say that he wanted to attack Madagascar
Old 11-26-2012, 10:16 PM
Chris Browne
Administrator

His game did improve significantly there after.....sneaky.
Old 11-27-2012, 06:34 AM
Scott S

Quote:
Perhaps he was just trying to say that he wanted to attack Madagascar
Since we have been weak on Seinfeld references of late....

Maybe he was planning to attack Ukraine, since Ukraine is weak!
Old 11-27-2012, 12:26 PM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

Quote:
Originally Posted by bn2cardz View Post
So now I don't approach people wearing shirts, I assume they just bought it at goodwill and move on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by z28jd View Post
Unless you live on a beach or in a nudist colony, you must not talk to many people with that approach! I have an opposite approach, I don't talk to people out in public who aren't wearing pants/shorts...but from a distance I will tell them to go to a goodwill if they need to. Seems safer that way to me. To each his own I guess
No I just stick with people wearing sweaters. No one buys a sweater from Goodwill.

I have fixed the error in my original post.

Last edited by bn2cardz; 11-27-2012 at 12:27 PM.