NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present)

Old 06-21-2012, 08:59 PM
Chr!$ "Bubba" L@mb

Default Inaugural Ask a Stupid Question Thread

I have asked many a stupid queston on the Vintage board and the members there have been gracious enough to answer them. So here's my offer to return the favor. Post a question about modern cards and no matter how smart or how stupid we will try to answer it.

Ex: What is a Superfractor? Who is Bryce Harper? Why does Topps have the only MLB license?

Last edited by peterose4hof; 06-21-2012 at 09:01 PM.
Old 06-21-2012, 09:14 PM
Jim M.arinari

Default This may be a stupid question

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterose4hof View Post
I have asked many a stupid queston on the Vintage board and the members there have been gracious enough to answer them. So here's my offer to return the favor. Post a question about modern cards and no matter how smart or how stupid we will try to answer it.

Ex: What is a Superfractor? Who is Bryce Harper? Why does Topps have the only MLB license?
Is the subject of this statement cards or we (members)?

Ex: Post a question about modern cards and a member, no matter how smart or how stupid, will try to answer it.
Old 06-21-2012, 09:20 PM
Chr!$ "Bubba" L@mb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deertick View Post
Is the subject of this statement cards or we (members)?

Ex: Post a question about modern cards and a member, no matter how smart or how stupid, will try to answer it.
Alas, when it comes to modern cards I am comfortable admitting I am somewhere between a novice and an expert, but when it comes to mastering the english language, I am merely a buffoon.
Old 06-22-2012, 01:32 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:

There's chrome cards which are shiny.
And refractors that are sort of rainbow shiny.
And superfractors that are often shiny, rainbow and plaid. (And far less common)

The latest hot prospect. Who will more than likely put up very average numbers for 10-12 years.(Ok, I hope not but I bet even Nostradamus went for the easy ones once in a while)

Because even MLB thought there were too many cards out there, and too many companies failing. Since MLB gets up front money plus a cut of profits it wasn't a bad idea to put the brakes on a bit. Plus Upper deck got caught doing bad things again Counterfeiting their own product! Brilliant!

Steve B
Old 06-22-2012, 04:42 PM
Al Richter

Default SCD Standard Catalog

Will there be any more ? If so, only on line and no more print ? Who likes the format of the 2012 Standard "Vintage " Catalog ?

Who will join me in giving kudos to Bob Lemke for his great work on that Catalog...and who , like me, is happy for Bob in his retirement, but will miss him at SCD ?
Old 06-23-2012, 07:40 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:

Is Bryce Harper a Superfractor?
Is my JUNK SLAB thread on this forum stupid? (Shameless stupid plug)
Am I stupid, doctor? Is there any treatment you can recommend?

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 06-23-2012, 10:21 PM
"Thumbs Down Guy"

Quote:

(Photo taken September 20, 2008. © Gary Dunaier. Link to upload on Flickr.com: here.)

Old 07-02-2012, 07:43 AM
Jay Shelton

I ending up buying several (over 150) of the Topps 2011 Update cards last August/September, and really enjoyed buying "new" baseball cards again, especially for the gold insert code cards, which I used online to trade for 1975, 1984 Topps Padres cards. Does Topps offer a similar program this year with code cards redeemable for virtual cards that can be traded online for vintage cards?

If so, I plan on getting some more update cards for this season.

Thanks!
Old 07-02-2012, 07:46 AM
Jay Shelton

What exactly are the 2012 Topps Archive Baseball Cards? I've seen them in the stores, and they seem to be current players on older year card designs. How far back, and what is the general year scope of the older designs, and are there older HOF players or just current players? Also, are there any "special" cards, such as autograph, parallel, etc.?

Thanks again for the help!
Old 07-03-2012, 01:06 PM
Al Richter

Default 2012 Topps Archives Cards

I don't collect these but did get the insert 3D cards that apparently came with them. I have a set of the 1968 3D cards and have always wondered why Topps never did anything like them again. The 15 card 3D insert set is pretty neat and mixes player from the 60s with current players

Old 07-09-2012, 11:41 AM
Chr!$ "Bubba" L@mb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayworld View Post
I ending up buying several (over 150) of the Topps 2011 Update cards last August/September, and really enjoyed buying "new" baseball cards again, especially for the gold insert code cards, which I used online to trade for 1975, 1984 Topps Padres cards. Does Topps offer a similar program this year with code cards redeemable for virtual cards that can be traded online for vintage cards?

If so, I plan on getting some more update cards for this season.

Thanks!
Topps changed their format this year. Last year's code cards were for the Diamond Giveaway and this year's version is called the Golden Giveaway. The only cards available this year are a new set manufactured exclusively for this giveaway program. They are no longer giving away various cards from Topps sets of the past. Here is an example of one of the Golden Giveaway cards...

The set includes current and past baseball players. Also, you do not get a card with each code entered. In fact only about 1 in 15 codes will yield a card. The rest will get you a virtual coin that is virtually worthless.
Old 07-09-2012, 12:06 PM
Chr!$ "Bubba" L@mb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayworld View Post
What exactly are the 2012 Topps Archive Baseball Cards? I've seen them in the stores, and they seem to be current players on older year card designs. How far back, and what is the general year scope of the older designs, and are there older HOF players or just current players? Also, are there any "special" cards, such as autograph, parallel, etc.?

Thanks again for the help!
My favorite part of this product is the inserts. In addition to the 1968 3D cards they also have 1967 Topps Stickers, 1969 Topps Deckle Edge, and 1977 Topps Cloth Reprints.

The base set uses designs from the following years: 1954, 1971, 1980 and 1984

The product has gold parallel cards that are inserted 1:12 packs (hobby)

The autograph cards are 2 per hobby box and there are relic cards (tough pull) as well. My only caution would be, the autograph checklist leaves a lot to be desired.
Old 07-10-2012, 11:11 AM

Default Bryce Harper Topps #661 Variations

If I understood this post correct, you all are here to answer stupid questions, so here goes: I was at the All-Star FanFest Saturday and picked up the 2012Topps All-Star version of the complete set. It includes Harper #661. Can someone show me a scan of what card is in the set? I have seen three different #661s on eBay. I am attempting to not open it since the Topps officials said that there are only 600 of these sets.

Thank you.
Old 07-11-2012, 12:03 AM

I've seen Canadian wax boxes of '89 Donruss for sale. They are priced about the same as the American boxes. The first difference I see is that the Canadian box contains 360 cards (10 card packs), instead of 540 cards (15 card packs) that are in the American box. The card fronts are identical to the American version. Anyone know if the printing on the card backs is different in any way (i.e. Printed in Canada, card numbering)? I'm guessing these two things might be the only differences between the American and Canadian version. The Beckett Almanac doesn't have any information on a Canadian version. I collect '89 Griffeys and I'm always looking for one I don't have. Thanks.

Last edited by jhyde77; 07-11-2012 at 09:33 AM.
Old 07-12-2012, 07:58 AM
Chr!$ "Bubba" L@mb

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhyde77 View Post
I've seen Canadian wax boxes of '89 Donruss for sale. They are priced about the same as the American boxes. The first difference I see is that the Canadian box contains 360 cards (10 card packs), instead of 540 cards (15 card packs) that are in the American box. The card fronts are identical to the American version. Anyone know if the printing on the card backs is different in any way (i.e. Printed in Canada, card numbering)? I'm guessing these two things might be the only differences between the American and Canadian version. The Beckett Almanac doesn't have any information on a Canadian version. I collect '89 Griffeys and I'm always looking for one I don't have. Thanks.
I had the same question myself. Dave and Adam's Card World had boxes of these for sale a while back. I asked them if there was any difference between the two and they said the cards are exactly the same. The only difference is the quantity of cards per pack.

I suppose the only new Griffey RC collectible you could derive from these would be a sealed Canadian (10 card pack) with a Griffey on top. I have several rack packs with Griffey RCs on top, but I have never bothered to collect wax packs with his RC on top.
Old 07-12-2012, 08:14 AM
Chr!$ "Bubba" L@mb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uppboys View Post
If I understood this post correct, you all are here to answer stupid questions, so here goes: I was at the All-Star FanFest Saturday and picked up the 2012Topps All-Star version of the complete set. It includes Harper #661. Can someone show me a scan of what card is in the set? I have seen three different #661s on eBay. I am attempting to not open it since the Topps officials said that there are only 600 of these sets.

Thank you.
The Harper that comes in the Fan Fest All Star set is the same one that comes in other factory sets. (Pictured below) The difference between the Fan Fest All Star set and other factory sets is the 5 card pack of All Star cards which are exclusive to the Fan Fest set.

Old 07-12-2012, 01:11 PM

Quote:
I had the same question myself. Dave and Adam's Card World had boxes of these for sale a while back. I asked them if there was any difference between the two and they said the cards are exactly the same. The only difference is the quantity of cards per pack.

I suppose the only new Griffey RC collectible you could derive from these would be a sealed Canadian (10 card pack) with a Griffey on top. I have several rack packs with Griffey RCs on top, but I have never bothered to collect wax packs with his RC on top.
Thanks for the information. I guess the only reason to buy the Canadian version would be to save the unopened box. Maybe there could be a pack that shows Griffey on bottom. There is a puzzle piece blocking the top of the pack. Thanks again.

Last edited by jhyde77; 07-12-2012 at 10:33 PM.
Old 07-15-2012, 07:33 PM
Jake Dahl

80s and 90s are a great investment correct???????

Pre War/Post War Yankees/Highlanders Cards and Memorabilia

1960 Topps Baseball set

Any other cool sports cards and memorabilia
Old 07-15-2012, 08:07 PM
Chr!$ "Bubba" L@mb

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOF Yankees View Post
80s and 90s are a great investment correct???????
Whoa, whoa, whoa, slow down there! Don't go throwing your hard-earned money away. To truly maximize profits, focus your attention on the ultra-rare 1988-1991 era and stockpile as many Score and Classic brand cards as possible. Let me also recommend a few rookies you might want to load up on:
Gregg Jeffries, Ricky Jordan, Hensley "Bam Bam" Meulens, Brien Taylor and Todd Van Poppel.
Old 07-15-2012, 08:17 PM
Archive

The 2011 Topps Diamond Giveaway cards were a joke for two reasons.

I redeemed 22 cards and got cards going all the way back to the 60s. Instead of trading them I decided to have the cards sent to me, as Topps offered to do. After filling out the online form I found out that it was going to cost me $15 in S&H for the 22 cards.

The second reason was the fact that some of the cards sent to collectors were in terrible condition. I know a collector that received cards that were missing corners and creased so bad they would have been lucky to grade out a 1.

One nice thing about the 2012 Archives cards is that the autos are on the card and not those stickers.

Jantz
Old 07-15-2012, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Whoa, whoa, whoa, slow down there! Don't go throwing your hard-earned money away. To truly maximize profits, focus your attention on the ultra-rare 1988-1991 era and stockpile as many Score and Classic brand cards as possible. Let me also recommend a few rookies you might want to load up on:
Gregg Jeffries, Ricky Jordan, Hensley "Bam Bam" Meulens, Brien Taylor and Todd Van Poppel.
Especially cases of '91 Fleer. Since the boxes aren't really worth anything, warehouses will trash them to make room for better products. Also, anyone that has a box has opened it, because it isn't worth saving. So many years from now, few will have saved unopened '91 Fleer boxes and there will be a shortage for unopened box collectors.
Old 07-16-2012, 05:08 PM
Jake Dahl

Quote:

too funny, a great laugh

Pre War/Post War Yankees/Highlanders Cards and Memorabilia

1960 Topps Baseball set

Any other cool sports cards and memorabilia
Old 07-17-2012, 10:56 AM
Chris Wassmuth

Here's my stupid question. Last year Roy Campanella had cards in almost every Topps product. This year he has nothing in any set (except for 4-5 cards in Panini products). Did Topps lose the right to produce his cards? As a Campy collector I enjoyed having him in products like Triple Threads and Sterling. It will be very disappointing if he is not in those products.
Old 07-23-2012, 05:02 PM
Chad J.

And as a followup, is there any way to know ahead of time if retired players are going to be appearing in future sets?
Old 07-26-2012, 02:52 PM
And.rew Mil.ler

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOF Yankees View Post
too funny, a great laugh
Don't forget Kevin Maas....dude is gonna be a shoo in for the hall of Fame circa 2009 or so....
Old 10-03-2012, 07:42 AM

I'll go for one of the questions you mentioned. Why does Topps have its monopoly again? Does MLB really think this is healthier for the industry? What does MLBPA think about all this? Weren't the multiple baseball card producers supposed to be the source of their strike war fund back in '94 (as insinuated, I believe, in Card Sharks)?

If you look closely, you'll also notice that baseball video game producers have a similar monopolistic deal. Last I checked was a year ago or so, and, as I recall, every major system has a single game that has both the MLB and MLBPA licenses. Why did MLB change its practice from the late 80s and early 90s, when you'd see multiple licensed baseball video games, multiple card sets, team and league names on APBA envelopes, etc.?

I asked this once on a random Baseball Think Factory thread, but nobody could give me a satisfactory answer. Not only are these developments troubling to me, but it seems that we may see a constant, gradual reduction in the numbers and varieties of baseball cards produced in the coming years. If only they would get rid of the annoying refractor-type one-off cards in the process...
Old 10-03-2012, 08:10 AM
Al Richter

Default Topps

Topps never had a true monopoly on baseball cards. What they had eventually after Bowman sold itself to Topps at the height of it's ( Bowman's) market value were contracts with players that gave them the exclusive right to sell their likeness with confections ( candy/gum). Other companies could have sold baseball cards by themselves or with other products...like cookies ( Fleer) and marbles ( Leaf). But the market apparently was set around gum back then.

It was Marvin Miller who convinced the players that they should be getting a bigger share of the take and faced Topps down. Eventually MLB itself realized that baseball cards were a product that needed to be part of it's merchandizing machine.

MLB and the player union now control who has the market through thier license agreements, and they surely go with what they think makes them the most money. For now, they believe less product concentrated with fewer producers give them the best situation. Topps, with it's history, and with Eisner's muscle, is the current choice.

I have been collecting since 1957 and was glad when other products hit the market in 1981. But if you look in the SCD Standard Catalog at the growing proliferation of baseball product starting in 1995, I was also glad with the cut back. I realize others may feel differently since everyone approaches the hobby from different perspectives
Old 10-03-2012, 03:22 PM
Steve Birmingham

Yep, I was happy about a bunch of new stuff in 81 too. What great fun!

And for a few years I'd look at nearly any box or package with a blank side or bit of excess room in the design and think "they could put a card there"

Then by the late 90's I pretty much got that. And realized how much less special it made everything.

I think cutting down was overall a good thing for both baseball and the hobby. At the time they started most companies weren't doing well and as companies failed and were bought or not bought it made things confusing.
Will my favorite set be made this year? and by who? fleerboxdeck? donruss/pinnacle/panini? Panini?! aren't those the Italian soccer stickers that look identical from one year to the next?

And with future values not only tied to production but popularity the products with stronger brands that survived would do better. (I think I'm the only one who prefers some of the extinct companies like signature rookies and collectors edge and wild card although most of those only did football. ) So they had to cut back to one or two licensees to rebuild the market for cards in general.

Steve B
Old 10-03-2012, 04:46 PM
Scott Silvers

Default Donruss Elite Proof Cards???

Does anyone know if any proof cards from the donruss elite sets (1991-1993) are in existance? I see many proof and test issues come from the topps vault, so it got me wondering if there are any such cards from the early elite series sets.
Old 10-04-2012, 07:39 AM

Quote:
First rule of Fight Club--don't talk about Bam Bam.