NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 06-06-2012, 02:01 PM
Eri..c Hu.nt

Default Reasonable request?

I have an autographed baseball for sale right now on Ebay. It is an unauthenticated ball. A potential buyer e-mailed me asking if it did not pass 3rd party authentication, would I refund the cost of the ball, to and from postage and the authentication fees along with authentication postage.

I have no problem refunding the price of the ball, but I think my liability should end there. I have absolutely no doubts that the signature is authentic or else I would not have bought it. I would have it authenticated myself, but it is not an extremely valuable ball and the cost of the ball, fees and postage would pretty much make it not worth it to resell.

I took on risk buying it with no COA. Should that risk now be passed on to the next buyer as far as authentication fees are concerned? I bought a collection of autographed baseballs to resell and I am concerned that this might come up again in the future.

I thought I'd ask some experienced people how they would handle this. Thanks!!
Old 06-06-2012, 02:16 PM
Wayne Walker

Hell no you won't (shouldn't) do that. It is the buyer's choice to use (or not) these TPAs. You are doing ebough by offering a refund if they think it's not real. For that kind of money, you could send it in yourself and potentially add to the sale price. You put your word behind the items that you sell, and in so doing you only back the price that it sells for.

http://s236.photobucket.com/albums/f...NFT/?start=all
Old 06-06-2012, 02:35 PM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by mighty bombjack View Post
Hell no you won't (shouldn't) do that. It is the buyer's choice to use (or not) these TPAs. You are doing ebough by offering a refund if they think it's not real. For that kind of money, you could send it in yourself and potentially add to the sale price. You put your word behind the items that you sell, and in so doing you only back the price that it sells for.
+1
Old 06-06-2012, 02:41 PM
James Graham
James Gra.ham

Completely agree...I would offer refund on ball and that's it. End of story.
"What I have done after my baseball career -- being able to help people with their lives and getting their lives back on track so they become productive human beings again -- that means more to me than all the things I did in baseball" - Don Newcombe

https://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/jgmp123
Old 06-06-2012, 02:45 PM
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgmp123 View Post
Completely agree...I would offer refund on ball and that's it. End of story.
yes
Old 06-06-2012, 02:47 PM
_Er!ck*L.ew1n_

I agree, that's asking too much. It's not like the authentication companies are 100% accurate anyway. You could end up paying more for their error.

Last edited by yanksfan09; 06-06-2012 at 02:47 PM.
Old 06-06-2012, 03:06 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

I agree that your liability should only be for the cost of the ball (and if sold on eBay, that will extend to the cost of shipping as well if they file a claim).

One thing to be aware of though: Some potential buyers will use a statement like that as a sort of backwards way of suggesting you take another look at the signature and be sure yourself that it's authentic.

Personally, I would rather they just come right out and say, "are you sure it's authentic, because I don't think it is, and here's why" than to give a laundry list of fees they could stack up to prove its not authentic and expect you to reimburse them for, presumably to scare you into taking another look at it. Some feel that the indirect approach gets better results though.

Whatever the case, talk it through with the buyer. Actually engaging in conversation with them will ease their minds more than a terse response, and you may find that they are simply reacting to some other situation where they got burned.
Old 06-06-2012, 03:07 PM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

I would refund the cost of the ball + the shipping cost to the buyer, but nothing more than that (and none of the shipping costs to the TPG). I would probably advise potential buyers if they are unsure of the auto, they can go to PSA for a quick opinion that is just a fraction of the cost of the cert, so that they can obtain some initial assurance that the auto is genuine.

BTW, when I was selling photos on ebay that I was pretty sure were Type I (because they had the newspaper clippings and date stamps on back), here is what I put in my listing. You might want to do something similar:

"Although I am nothing close to a photo expert, I guarantee that the photo would be a Type I, and if you send it to PSA/DNA for verification within 45 days, I will offer a full return policy if it does not come back as Type I. (However, I will not refund grading fees.)"

Last edited by glchen; 06-06-2012 at 03:10 PM.
Old 06-06-2012, 03:13 PM
qu@n nguy3n

case by case basis but i think it's reasonable in isolated situations. i see some sellers doing good business selling $2-$5 items with a money back guarantee, knowing most people wouldn't spend the $15+ psa/dna or jsa fees to get a 2nd look.
Old 06-06-2012, 03:52 PM
Banned

just back up what you sell and refund the price if found to be not authentic.

but don't play the game of refunding authentication fees, and letting psa or jsa decide for you what is authentic.

once you go down that road you let other people run your business.

if someone ever asks me that i guarantee it will pass psa or jsa, i say no, i know its authentic and do your homework BEFORE you buy.

too many instances of psa or jsa not knowing what they are doing and passing a bad autograph or rejecting a good one. why let them run your business? it's such a mess to go down that road.

ask them to get all the opinions they want from whoever they want before they buy. that's it.
Old 06-06-2012, 05:04 PM

The simple answer is it's no. You give a refund for what you're selling, not for what someone else is selling.

Last edited by drc; 06-06-2012 at 05:11 PM.
Old 06-06-2012, 05:10 PM
qu@n nguy3n

Quote:
Originally Posted by drc View Post
The simple answer is no. You give a refund for what you're selling, not for what someone else is selling.
to the point and makes sense!
Old 06-06-2012, 10:28 PM
Eri..c Hu.nt

Awesome responses. I thought that was a rather bold request. I think I will update my description with some of these suggestions. If I could get that kind of guarantee from sellers, I'd just buy everything because there would be nothing to lose.

Thanks for responding!!!!
Old 06-07-2012, 03:32 AM
Bilko Glasier

kind of curious what ball it is?
Old 06-07-2012, 05:46 PM
Eri..c Hu.nt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilko G View Post
kind of curious what ball it is?
It is a Mark Fidrych ball. Not an expensive ball. That is a pretty common autograph to see here in Michigan. I've seen enough of them to be confident in its authenticity.
Old 06-09-2012, 06:46 AM

I would also just refund the price of the ball. The rest of the risk should reside with the buyer.