NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 04-19-2012, 04:10 PM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

Default Legitimate Mathewson Auto?

What do you guys think about this Mathewson auto? Is it legit?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mathewsonauto.jpg (71.0 KB, 279 views)
Old 04-19-2012, 05:09 PM

Absolutely not.
Old 04-19-2012, 06:12 PM
Joe H
Joe He.rne

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Atkatz View Post
Absolutely not.
+1
Old 04-19-2012, 07:09 PM

+2

Please keep one thing in mind as a buyer. There are no "bargain" Matty's floating around out there.

Expect to pay over $12,000 minimum, FYI.
Old 04-19-2012, 07:11 PM
Scott

looks awful
Old 04-19-2012, 07:44 PM
Steve Zarelli

Even if it was authentic, it should be ruled a fake and destroyed based on the wretched display alone.

Old 04-19-2012, 09:48 PM
Wayne Walker

Just to enforce what the others are saying: no way.

http://s236.photobucket.com/albums/f...NFT/?start=all
Old 04-20-2012, 02:28 PM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

Default EAC Gallery Auction

This auto was actually sold by EAC Gallery auction that ended last night for around ~7500. Link When I posted the question yesterday, it was only around 3K. The auction stated that the auto was actually passed by JSA, but when I asked them for the LOA, it looked very stranged to me (attached). Usually, I thought that JSA LOA's had photos of the auto, but this one didn't. I checked JSA cert check, and it did not come up. When I sent an email to JSA asking if this was a valid cert/auto, they never replied to me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lOT 515_JSA.jpg (7.0 KB, 199 views)
Old 04-20-2012, 06:20 PM
Wayne Walker

That appears to be an "auction LOA." It means that JSA has ostensibly approved the auto, but they want you to pay a fee to slab it or upgrade to a full LOA. PSA/DNA did this same thing until they saw people flipping the autos on eBay with the auction letter (which they never intended and thought wouldn't happen due to a lack of photo connection between item and letter), so now they just say that it's preapproved.

Old 04-20-2012, 06:39 PM
Bilko Glasier

Quote:
Originally Posted by glchen View Post
This auto was actually sold by EAC Gallery auction that ended last night for around ~7500. Link When I posted the question yesterday, it was only around 3K. The auction stated that the auto was actually passed by JSA, but when I asked them for the LOA, it looked very stranged to me (attached). Usually, I thought that JSA LOA's had photos of the auto, but this one didn't. I checked JSA cert check, and it did not come up. When I sent an email to JSA asking if this was a valid cert/auto, they never replied to me.

Is their anyways you can post a bigger picture of that letter, without making it an "attachement"? Its too small to read this way. Thank you.
Old 04-20-2012, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glchen View Post
What a joke!
Old 04-21-2012, 05:37 PM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

Here it is. Strange how it says they "believe" as if there is some kind of wiggle room.

Old 04-22-2012, 07:24 AM
Banned

This is what it has come to. what's next?

Last edited by travrosty; 04-22-2012 at 07:24 AM.
Old 04-22-2012, 07:48 AM
Richard Simon

I want my Steele Perez card .
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow

Last edited by RichardSimon; 04-22-2012 at 08:00 AM.
Old 04-22-2012, 09:02 AM
Wayne Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by travrosty View Post
This is what it has come to. what's next?
Hopefully what's next is that more people recognize what glchen has recognized above, that a letter from JSA merely tells what they believe. Most here, including myself, believe that the cut shown above wasn't signed by Mathewson. That, too, is just a belief. The buyer may have formed their own opinion, or they may have blindly taken Spence's. It doesn't really matter to me, because while I need and want a Mathewson in my collection, I don't want that one.

Old 04-22-2012, 09:29 AM
Joe H
Joe He.rne

Quote:
Originally Posted by mighty bombjack View Post
Hopefully what's next is that more people recognize what glchen has recognized above, that a letter from JSA merely tells what they believe. Most here, including myself, believe that the cut shown above wasn't signed by Mathewson. That, too, is just a belief. The buyer may have formed their own opinion, or they may have blindly taken Spence's. It doesn't really matter to me, because while I need and want a Mathewson in my collection, I don't want that one.
Going to agree with that. Some people have enough money not to care, some people don't do their own research, and some people base their opinions on years of being in the hobby. The bottom line is, never pay more for something than it is worth to you. So if you believe this is fake, it's probably worth zero. If you think it's fake and also believe it has value due to JSA saying it's real, then buy accordingly, and if you think it's resoundingly real, then the value is higher...

The only caution is if you're buying as an investment, or to turn a profit, this would not be the matty for you, because even with the JSA, a lot of knowledgeable buyers won't touch it.

Last edited by phikappapsi; 04-22-2012 at 09:30 AM.
Old 04-22-2012, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phikappapsi View Post
Going to agree with that. Some people have enough money not to care, some people don't do their own research, and some people base their opinions on years of being in the hobby. The bottom line is, never pay more for something than it is worth to you. So if you believe this is fake, it's probably worth zero. If you think it's fake and also believe it has value due to JSA saying it's real, then buy accordingly, and if you think it's resoundingly real, then the value is higher...

The only caution is if you're buying as an investment, or to turn a profit, this would not be the matty for you, because even with the JSA, a lot of knowledgeable buyers won't touch it.
with a ten foot pole!
Old 04-22-2012, 10:27 AM
Richard Simon

The auction cert illustrated here is extraordinarily different from the regular cert issued by JSA.
The wording on the regular cert is different (it is our opinion that the item is genuine is the wording on the regular cert), the regular cert has a picture of the item and the regular cert is notarized.
You would think that for a Christy Mathewson signature they would do what was required for the regular cert to be issued for the auction and to not try to gouge the buyer for another chunk of change, after he has already spent $7K+.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow

Last edited by RichardSimon; 04-22-2012 at 10:31 AM.
Old 04-22-2012, 05:10 PM
Banned

I call them weasel words. we kinda, coulda woulda shoulda think this is real, but pay us.