NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Hockey, Olympic, Auto Racing And All Other Cards

Old 04-25-2011, 09:25 PM
Dave Johnson

Default What do you all think about the early REA prices?

I guess I am a little suprised so many lots have early bids and many have mutiple bids so far.

Just a few thoughts:

- Maybe there is more money to chase after Vintage Golf then I ever imagined.

- Maybe these cards are finally going to be recrognized as something with some value - and maybe it took all of Jack Z's offerings to make that happen

- What do you think will be the lot that goes for the most money? What lot will be the biggest suprise?

At first I thought having all of these lots out in one shot was harmful, now I am re-thinking that stance based on the very early returns. I will be interested to see how the bidding transpires.

Thoughts? Comments?
Old 04-26-2011, 10:55 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

Solid......Solid as a rock

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 04-27-2011, 07:37 AM

Dave -

Its too early to tell with regard to REA (strength).

In general - I have noticed more interest (price wise) in vintage golf lately. But, it is still such a thin market and pricing can be all over the map (from steals to high prices and everywhere in between).

I am disappointed with Jack Zs offering to be honest.
Hearing about the cards you once had and the cards you still have - I think the Dave Johnson collection is/was much cooler.

Possibly Jack Z is holding onto a bunch more that he did not want to part with.
Old 04-27-2011, 08:19 AM

Joe,
I don't think Jack is holding anything back. All the key cards that I knew about are listed, which includes some of the key type cards that I knew he had that aren't Jones, Hagen or Morris. I don't really like the way REA grouped his collection, but that is just the way they do things. I wonder how much input Jack had in the listings? Just curious, what do you think Jack's collection was missing? I know he didn't have many 1900 Copes.
Jason
Old 04-27-2011, 09:03 AM

Jason -

I am not really familiar with Jack's collection. So, I am not truly suggesting he is holding anything back (I wouldn't know). I just thought possibly he was.

When I heard REA was auctioning off his collection - I thought wow! this is going to be something else! Maybe I overhyped it in my head and set myself up for a let down.

Cards that would have been great to see....
- - no FJ Smiths? Your Vardon would be one of the coolest cards offered, if it was part of the collection.

- - 1898 Ogdens.... would have been cool to see one like in Lew's recent auction.

- - Willards Chocolate?

- - Faulkner - only a partial set?

- - 1900 Copes as you mentioned.

- - Other cools stuff I do not know about

I agree about the grouping..... I don't particularly like the way it was done either.

I am being overly picky I am sure.

This is one heck of a collection.
Old 04-27-2011, 09:18 AM

Joe,
I know what you are saying. I am not a big fan of the Copes or the Faulkner cards, so those don't bother me. I do like the 1898 Ogden's and the 1902 Smith cards though, so it would be nice if some of those were being auctioned off. Now I am upset! It is always good to know what everyone is looking forward to.
Jason
Old 04-27-2011, 09:18 PM
Dave Johnson

Jack's main set of collecting was the 1928 Millhoff set. I sold him a number of PSA 9's from a set I put together, in return I received a very nice 8 grade of the same card as well as a significant cash offering.

Once upon a time he had the highest graded Copes Golf Strokes set from 1923, I had the number 2 set by just a shade, he agreed to sell me the #1 set which combined with my set made an even better overall set.

I know he has never been much into the ogdens or the Copes. Jack simply collected mainly VERY HIGH grade offerings of what he could find. I think that is why he has the Ogdens he does have in the auction. They are all super high grade.

I know the guy who hoarded all the High Grade Copes 1900 cards. He still has them to the best of my knowledge, I think he has either 3 or 4 complete sets all graded to this day, the WORST of which would grade out at something ridiculous like 6.23 gpa on the PSA scale.

Back to Jack's collection....The Churchman issues same deal. Finding those large 27 and 28 famous golfers in those types of grades is EXCEEDINGLY difficult. Those are some seriously high dollar cards. But with so much out there at one time, I am curious to see if people will have to pick and choose what they go after.

There is also a few other things that are not as interesting to as many folks, like the John Player sets, but there is no arguement that they are still dynomite from a condition perspective.

A regret I have is I have never met Jack in person. I had countless deals and emails with him over the years, he even was nice enough to mention me in his PSA article a couple of years back. I agree with Jason. I think he has nothing left in the cupboard here. I think this is pretty much the entire enchilada.

Hope some of you are still thinking about the National. I am headed to Vegas this weekend. Maybe I can score big and then buy one of these sets in the REA auction!

On another note I just sent in a submission with 120 cards to PSA, A TON of Ogdens although most not high grade, including a bunch of boxing cards. I also sent in a complete set of 1911 Wills Boxers. I plan on listing a lot of stuff around June sometime.
Old 04-28-2011, 01:16 PM

I know the guy with the 4 Copes sets as well.

Actually, he helped me put together my set (EX condition) - and is a really good guy IMO.

I just went through the listing of the big lot card-by-card and out of 133 cards.... I see maybe 5 or 6 that I am interested in. Tough to buy a 133 card lot when you only want a handful of the cards.
Old 04-28-2011, 06:58 PM

I met Jack on a few occasions at some large shows. He is as nice or nicer than any collector that I've ever met. I was really surprised that he was selling his collection. Does anyone know why ? Is he getting out of the hobby totally ? It just seems like he was just getting started. He wasn't into vintage golf that long.