NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-06-2011, 07:28 PM

Default Buying a new safe, any advice?

I have been needing a floor safe for a while now and have been researching and searching for the right one for about a year now. Does anyone have any soound avice they can offer. It seems to me I need a 90 minute or longer fire proof safe but what no one can seem to tell me is what happens to my cards stored in plastic sleeves? i know paper is up in smofe at 451 degrees what about penny sleeves or my 9 pocket plastic pages? If any one has any practical experience they can share it would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 01-06-2011, 07:39 PM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribefan1313 View Post
I have been needing a floor safe for a while now and have been researching and searching for the right one for about a year now. Does anyone have any soound avice they can offer. It seems to me I need a 90 minute or longer fire proof safe but what no one can seem to tell me is what happens to my cards stored in plastic sleeves? i know paper is up in smofe at 451 degrees what about penny sleeves or my 9 pocket plastic pages? If any one has any practical experience they can share it would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
When I colleceted baseball cards back in the 80's & 90's, (1993) I had all my old sets in Books with Vinyl Pages and acrylics stored in a small walk in closet that was deadbolted & locked.

After leaving the dryer on, I went to my daughters Open House. When we came home, the house was destroyed and the fire dept was mopping up. The lint inside the back of the dryer caught fire, set the kitchen cabinets ablaze and the house was gutted. The big Screen was melted to the floor, Pictures on the wall were gone. The dog was dead.

The cards in the closet were a bit smokey, but not one card was ruined or plastic melted. Every window in the house was blown out from the heat. I wiped down all the pages, sprayed some lysol and everthing was fine. All the clothes were ruined and every piece of drywall was replaced, but pictures that were in cabinets were fine. The cards were eventually sold and no one could ever smell the smoke.

I can only imagine in a safe...that everything would be safe. That's about as practical experience as you can get.
Old 01-06-2011, 10:11 PM
Gr.eg Per.ry

If you are looking for a top quality safe, go with a Ft. Knox.

http://www.ftknox.com/redesign/safes/guardian.htm
Old 01-07-2011, 07:47 AM
Joshua
J0shua Le.vine

I have owned two now...my first advice is get one size bigger than you think you need...it is remarkable in this hobby how fast one safe can fill up. My second thought is my floor safe hold my truly valuable cards (high dollar/hard to replace)...I then bought a fireproof file box...I keep several cheaper but one of a kind items in that. It is fire rated and I feel secure with it even though it is not bolted to the floor like my safe.

Joshua
Old 01-07-2011, 07:55 AM
M!ke S@il£r

I agree with the advice about buying it big. But buy the tallest one also with nice shelving. I am so glad I didn't go cheap on my safe. It is so much nicer not having to bend down when I'm fiddling with cards and valuables.
Old 01-07-2011, 07:56 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default local gun or security shop

When I was looking for a safe I went to a local security system business, retail store. They had a ton (well, more than a ton, but you know what I mean) of used but almost new looking safes. I got a 1200lb jewelers safe for around 1k. It is awesome. They had to bring it in with a tow truck . It is rated TL 15 and is fire proof for a few hours. I would recommend doing the same thing. Since these are so heavy it wouldn't usually make sense to buy from out of state, or non-local, unless you live in a place with none of these type establishments. regards