NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-22-2010, 09:02 PM
Michael

Default What is the long-term value of Game-Used cards?

Hi everyone. I know a number of collectors focusing on Game Used bat/patch/jersey cards for current and HOF players.

Topps/UD/Razor have been pumping out these and cut autos for several years now, and I am wondering what you think about the long-term value of these cards. For example, a bat card of Ty Cobb varies significantly in price depending on how it is numbered, even though the bat shaving might be identical in shape/size.

For example...a few years ago it was hard to get a Ty Cobb game-used bat card. Now, just a quick survey of recent eBay auctions reveals that they are plentiful and that their prices are as low as $30 and maybe even less. And yet the same slice of bat card can also sell for 10x more.

Here are just a few very recently SOLD items on eBay...

TY COBB 2010 TOPPS TRIBUTE BLUE GAME BAT #60/75
Sold for $30.66

2010 Topps Tribute Ty Cobb BLACK REF BAT #/50
Sold for $34.01

2009 TOPPS T-206 TY COBB POLAR BEAR GAME USED BAT
Sold for $100

2010 TOPPS STERLING TY COBB 6X BAT CARD #1/1
Sold for $255

TY COBB 2004 DONRUSS CLASSICS AUTHENTIC GAME BAT 08/10
Sold for $325

Ty Cobb Autos also reflect this range...(same thing here: these are recent items sold on eBay):

2007 SP LEGENDARY CUTS TY COBB CUT AUTO AUTOGRAPH #1/2
Sold for $2370

+1/1+Ty Cobb+Signed+Top​ps T206 AUTO+PSA/DNA+20​09+
Sold for $1200

TY COBB auto check PSA/DNA 9 Tigers HOF
Sold for $1146

What do you think about the value of the Game Used cards in the long run? As more and more come into the supply are the older ones worth less? With Sterling, since there are 6x pieces, does that mean that 1x pieces are less desirable? I'd love your thoughts.

Thanks,
Michael

Old 12-22-2010, 09:59 PM

To me, the long term value of these type of things is the same as the short term value -ZERO!! That is because I will NEVER spend my money on them.

First, I can not stand the thought that a REAL bat, jersey or whatever was destroyed to make thise type of crap. There were only so many REAL bats or jerseys in existance to begin with and time has taken care of losing or destroying some of those pieces. So, a limited pool of authentic pieces was already reduced and then these clowns come along and DESTROY another piece on purpose.

I have an idea, why don't we try this with an original work by Da Vinci or Shakespeare?

How about we jsut cut up the Magna Carta, the Constitution or the Declaration of Independence?

Those old things shouldn't just be stored in some rich guys vault or in a museum only for a certian select few to be able to own or view. No, they should be available for MORE people.

Well, that is NOT happening to those type of historic items and it shouldn't be happening to baseball pieces either. The people who thought of this should be arrested and jailed for destroying property and the companies should be sued and put out of business.

Also, how can ANYONE know if these are actual pieces of the item they are purported to be? Who is to say a person at the company didn't just go out and find a 100 year old piece of Ash lumber and then take it to a lumber yard and have them plain it down and then shave pieces off of it?

No, I think these are wrong on a number of levels and that the value is ZERO!!

David
Old 12-22-2010, 11:15 PM
Frank Kealoha Ward

Many advanced collectors hate these, including me.

Most collectors who collect new stuff advance into vintage later on, and rarely does a collector of vintage go the other way and collect new stuff again. New stuff is dominated by younger collectors. I read all those boards to learn and dont ever have the urge to buy a new cards.

I dont like mixing vintage cuts with modern bright gaudy cardboard. and they ruined so many nice letters and personal checks full of baseball history cutting them to fit into a new card.

I really hate the vintage game used garbage too... ruining many museum quality bats and uniforms to make a $.

On a related note... Pseudo rare 1/1 which are intentionally made rare wont hold value. They are a limited edition like a beanie baby, collector plate, or Franklin Mint item. Not a true rare item which became rare over time.

A truly rare item has to become rare unintentionally, usually by low production numbers, with most being used and abused and then trashed. ie cards, stamps, comic books, steiff bears, vintage Halloween stuff, beer cans, movie posters, vintage Pez, even hotwheels or tootsietoys.

Everything now days is a limited edition and hoarded in unopened unused condition, no way they hold value IMO

PS Bit OT but I have tootsietoys too
Old 12-23-2010, 01:07 AM
Terry
Ter.ence Le.wis

I can understand the feelings of "ruining" a Cobb bat for a card, but to be fair.....

Topps can make thousands upon thousands or more cards with a Cobb bat embedded. So yes, a Cobb gamer was destroyed...but instead of being in one person's collection, it is in thousands of baseball fan's cards. It only takes a sliver of the bat for many thousands of collectors to have a piece.

Just mho
Old 12-23-2010, 02:14 AM
Clayton

I think we will all be long gone before any of todays modern cards start holding "real value"........100 years from now maybe?

I agree with David and Frank about cutting up bats and letters and all that- just WRONG. All the way around.

But I am not against modern cards using "older card type designs",,,,sort of paying homage to the true classics. Just don't destroy precious artifacts so everyone can get "a crumb".

Clayton
Old 12-23-2010, 03:23 AM
Michael

These are all excellent points guys. Thanks for weighing in.

I'd love to hear someone who collects these cards comment to so that the rest of us can better understand why they are putting their money into these cards. After all, if no one was buying these cards, then they wouldn't be increasing as a percentage of cards sold these days. People ARE buying them and collecting them.
Old 12-23-2010, 05:15 AM
Bilko Glasier

Someone correct me if im wrong but i believe all these 2010 Topps bat cards of these legends are NOT actual game used bats from for instance Ty Cobb. They are dated to his era and are only "game model" bats. I was looking on ebay to read what the COA says from one of these 2010 Topps cards, but guess what? Not one auction posts a picture of the back of the card stating what the actual relic is. That is why these are selling so "cheap". There are older REAL game used cards that sell for much more, but these 2010 Topps cards are not actual Cobb game used pieces i believe.
Old 12-23-2010, 05:35 AM
Bilko Glasier

Oh and to answer your other question, i don't collect these as in constantly adding them to my collection or actively looking to add more, but i do own several game used jersey cards of Mickey Mantle, Babe Ruth, Roger Maris, Lou Gehrig and other vintage legends. I bought these cards many years ago back in about 2004 or so. I bought these cards and wanted them for my collection because it is the closest i will ever get to owning a game used item of theirs. I am not filthy rich where i can drop $50K buying an entire game worn jersey, but these cards allow to me to own a piece of a game used item for a fraction of the price. Even if it is a small 1 inch swatch on a card i can still look at the item and know it was worn by Babe Ruth or Mickey Mantle in an era before i was born and it gets me as "close" as i can get to that time in history and to those particular players.

I do agree that i wouldn't want to see, say the last of a particular item get cut up or something that is on display in the HOF. But i will say that i am thankful to the card companies for giving the "average Joe' like me a chance to own a piece of history like this that i might never get to see in person, hold and own. I personally think that it is a lot better for say several hundred collectors to be able to own a piece of a Mantle uniform instead of one really rich guy, whose wife makes him "display" his Mantle jersey in his basement and it never sees the light of day again.
Old 12-23-2010, 05:36 AM
T0dd M@rcum

They have certainly moderated.

But I buy a few. I think they are kind of cool.

As for an investment, I am not counting on any ballcard I own...even the Ruths and Cobbs to act as an investment vehicle.

I honestly don't think the world is poorer for having one less pair of Ruth pants that becomes cards. I honestly wouldn't want a pair of Babe Ruth pants...but I am quite happy having a babe ruth uniform card.
Old 12-23-2010, 05:54 AM

In ten years they will be worth nothing and the autos will be found as fakes. Its so sad they cut up historic items just to sell packs of cards and what i always wondered what happens to the D on cobbs uniform? and the yankee's emblem from babe ruth jersey? they dont put them on the cards and if they do i have never seen one.I hate the idea of cutting up uniforms of deceased players its not like today where they get 1 or 2 jerseys per game.
Old 12-23-2010, 06:34 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Forgetting for the moment the issue of whether GU cards should be made:

The GU items will always have some casual appeal, especially those made from items from contemporary players who are likely to make autograph appearances later on. The certified autographed will always have appeal to autograph collectors. Yes, there are bad ones--surprise, surprise, bad autographs. But the vast majority of the signed stuff is good. Players' autographs will always have appeal and a market, and signatures certified by a major MFG as real will always have buyers.

That said, the long term value prospects are crappy IMO. Very few of the cards have had great price gains year over year. They seem to peak the year of issue then plateau or even start to decline as the issue loses its cachet. Take the 1997 Topps Jeter autographed card as an example. Great looking card, nice signature, sure-fire HOFer and Yankee. I pulled one from a pack in 1997. The card price hasn't budged since then--I saw two for sale this a.m. on Ebay for BINS of $125 and $195. As I recall, they were selling for about $150 during the late 1990s. And the manufacturers keep adding more to the supply of GU and auto'd cards. All you need do is look at the bins and bins of them at the National offered on the cheap to know they are not a good investment.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 12-23-2010, 06:40 AM
T0dd M@rcum

Quote:
Originally Posted by esd10 View Post
In ten years they will be worth nothing and the autos will be found as fakes. Its so sad they cut up historic items just to sell packs of cards and what i always wondered what happens to the D on cobbs uniform? and the yankee's emblem from babe ruth jersey? they dont put them on the cards and if they do i have never seen one.I hate the idea of cutting up uniforms of deceased players its not like today where they get 1 or 2 jerseys per game.
I am pretty sure many of the numbers and patches have been removed from vintage jerseys...every now and then I have gotten one where you could tell something had been removed.
Old 12-23-2010, 06:43 AM
T0dd M@rcum

Follow up question....do you think that today's players will make card show and autograph appearances with the frequency of old time players? They have made millions upon millions of dollars and Albert Pujols and Derek Jeter will NEVER have to make an auto appearance if they don't want to. Will he allure of say a Austin Kerns in ten years be the same of that as a George Altman was ten years ago?
Old 12-23-2010, 07:00 AM
Bill

Yeah, bad idea slicing that stuff up! Nice Tootsie Toy Frank!
Old 12-23-2010, 08:53 AM

Default G/U Cards

I tend to agree with the thinking...However, look at it this way:

Our hobby is on the edge of extinction as it sits now. I just opened a card shop, and I see very few children coming in the front door. If the thought of pulling a g/u Mantle or Pujols card gets them into the hobby, I am all for it.

The bigger problem I see is the fact that, like everything, the manufacturers over-do it. Instead of putting one or so per box, or making it a big pull, there are thousands of g/u cards and they are losing their appeal.

Our hobby will never return to the days of yesteryear...as much as we would like it to. It is our job to bring in the younger collectors...at what cost, I don't know.

My long .02.
Old 12-23-2010, 09:09 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default don't know about extinction but.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeuhartCards View Post
I tend to agree with the thinking...However, look at it this way:

Our hobby is on the edge of extinction as it sits now. I just opened a card shop, and I see very few children coming in the front door. If the thought of pulling a g/u Mantle or Pujols card gets them into the hobby, I am all for it.

The bigger problem I see is the fact that, like everything, the manufacturers over-do it. Instead of putting one or so per box, or making it a big pull, there are thousands of g/u cards and they are losing their appeal.

Our hobby will never return to the days of yesteryear...as much as we would like it to. It is our job to bring in the younger collectors...at what cost, I don't know.

My long .02.
I agree in some sense to this summation. If the mfg's would not overdo it they would do better long term. That seems to be the main problem. The card company(s) find something that has a market, produce a billion of it, then there is a huge diluted market and less demand. If they would strictly limit the GU cards, and only put in articles that aren't so rare they are actually harming history (imo), then everyone would win, and long term too. As far as extinction, if you look at the "meet and greet" thread you will see a lot of 30 and 40 somethings. As addicted as we are I think there are a few generations of time left in us (at least I hope so). But this is the vintage market and it seems to have a bit more staying power than the newer market. That is why I mentioned somewhere that anything that brings in the under-30-somethings, is all good by me. I definitely agree with NeuhartCards on that...but please don't tear up National treasures doing it.

BTW, NeuHartCards, I am fascinated with the idea of opening a card shop in today's economy and hobby climate. I don't see me doing it but it's definitely interesting. If you would care to elaborate on your thoughts on it and how you are doing, I am sure many of us would be appreciative. It's a subject that all of us vintage guys should have some interest in. Best regards and thanks for your post.
Old 12-23-2010, 09:52 AM
Barry Sloate

While I always hated these concoctions put out by the card manufacturers, you could make an argument that the cut signatures are more valid than the cut up uniforms or bats. At least with an autograph, even though it was cut down from something, you are still getting the full signature (for the sake of this argument let's assume it is real).

But what are you getting when a uniform or bat is cut into a thousand pieces? A square inch of material? A splinter of wood? I was never able to understand what the attraction was. I would love to own a Picasso, certainly never will, but I would have no interest whatsoever in owning a one inch square piece of canvas covered with oil paint that was made available by cutting one of his paintings into a thousand small pieces. I'd rather just go to a museum and spend an afternoon looking at a few real ones. To each his own, but a scrap of something is worthless to me. And I also would have no confidence that the thing was even what it was supposed to be. How would one even authenticate it?

Last edited by barrysloate; 12-23-2010 at 09:53 AM.
Old 12-23-2010, 10:03 AM

I love it when pre-war guys imagine themselves as the "real" hobby and the "shiny" guys are some how less than. The vast majority of this hobby are modern collectors. Interestingly, I know of several who became pre-war collectors because of "retro" themed sets and of swatches of older uniforms. Most "shiny" collectors I know actually love baseball and appreciate its history. The "shiny" equivalent to Net54 is Freedom Cardboard. It is a huge and very friendly environment where BOTH modern and vintage are celebrated. I find it a refreshing place.
Old 12-23-2010, 10:23 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default dunno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orioles1954 View Post
I love it when pre-war guys imagine themselves as the "real" hobby and the "shiny" guys are some how less than. The vast majority of this hobby are modern collectors. Interestingly, I know of several who became pre-war collectors because of "retro" themed sets and of swatches of older uniforms. Most "shiny" collectors I know actually love baseball and appreciate its history. The "shiny" equivalent to Net54 is Freedom Cardboard. It is a huge and very friendly environment where BOTH modern and vintage are celebrated. I find it a refreshing place.
I get kind of tired of people saying we (vintage collectors) think the modern collectors are somehow inferior. Please point that out to me in this thread. I love the new card collectors and FreedomCardboard is the only other board I post on (besides the SGC one sometimes). I distinctly remember several instances when I personally went up to new card collectors at the National and shared some of their excitement. Again, please show me where our members are saying we are the "real" hobby and new card collectors aren't. Maybe I missed it?
Old 12-23-2010, 10:23 AM
Joe M.

I think the cards are collectible, just not for me. The best part is the gamble that you might find one in a box or pack. These cards are fun for the card shops and the their customers. I don't see any long term investment possibility. You make your money on the cards right away if you decide to sell.

Joe

Collecting Detroit 19th Century N172, N173, N175.
N172 Detroit. Getzein, McGlone, Rooks, Wheelock, Gillligan, Kid Baldwin Error, Lady Baldwin, Conway, Deacon White

Positive transactions with Joe G, Jay Miller, CTANK80, BIGFISH, MGHPRO, k. DIXON, LEON, INSIDETHEWRAPPER, GOCUBSGO32, Steve Suckow, RAINIER2004, Ben Yourg, GNAZ01, yanksrnice09, cmiz5290, Kris Sweckard (Kris19),Angyal, Chuck Tapia,Belfast1933,bcbgcbrcb,fusorcruiser, tsp06, cobbcobb13

Last edited by jcmtiger; 12-23-2010 at 10:24 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-23-2010, 10:45 AM
Jeff Sherman

Default Not a Good Thing

Like many, I disagree with the destruction of scarce items in order to make mass-produced items with a sliver or a chip from that genuinely (and genuine) scarce item. The idea that a relic has been chopped up so that it is not a true relic but an indistinguishable fraction of a relic is disturbing on many levels. But, clearly there is a market for this type of thing. And where there is a market, whether it the new shop owner who needs the foot traffic that relic cards might generate in order to keep his doors open, or the manufacturer who keeps (for better or worse) the new card makret stocked with product, there are people willing to exploit (non-pejorative version of the word here) that market.

If you look on eBay, you will often see auction sales of "three words in Geroge Washington's handwriting," which refers to an historical document written by George Washington that has been chopped into a thousand pieces of three or four words and sold in such tiny fractions. And they sell. And its criminal, in my mind, to destory that handwritten Washington document (although the do sometimes come from badly damaged documents that are otherwise unsaleable).

I do not like either practice, I wish they would stop, but as long as there is potentially profitable demand, there will be supply.
Old 12-23-2010, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
I get kind of tired of people saying we (vintage collectors) think the modern collectors are somehow inferior. Please point that out to me in this thread. I love the new card collectors and FreedomCardboard is the only other board I post on (besides the SGC one sometimes). I distinctly remember several instances when I personally went up to new card collectors at the National and shared some of their excitement. Again, please show me where our members are saying we are the "real" hobby and new card collectors aren't. Maybe I missed it?
When what somebody collects is deemed "crap" or "garbage" and of no "real value", it does not take much reading between the lines or countless works cited pages. I'm glad you enjoy Freedom Cardboard as well, we can agree it is very much a breath of fresh air to this hobby. They very much respect the pre-war hobby over there.

Last edited by Orioles1954; 12-23-2010 at 11:12 AM.
Old 12-23-2010, 11:17 AM

By the way, it's kind of a moot point now. The majority of the modern collectors out there are much more interested in baseball prospects, autographs, parallels and the like than Hall of Fame game-used swatches. Unless it's a multi-colored patch or an early Hall of Famer (not much being produced at all now) there just isn't the demand.
Old 12-23-2010, 11:18 AM

Default G/U Cards

How many of us really, truly buy cardboard as investments? If we would have put all of our $$ into cardboard in 1991, or even as recently as a couple of years ago, we would have lost our shirt on many things...not all, but many.

We buy/sell/trade as a hobby...an expensive one, but a hobby. Let's not forget that aspect. You like T206 cards, someone else may like hot wheels. Some people actually buy cards because they like the way they look...not just because of the investment quality and the value they hold.
Old 12-23-2010, 11:26 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default specifically

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orioles1954 View Post
When what somebody collects is deemed "crap" or "garbage" and of no "real value", it does not take much reading between the lines or countless works cited pages. I'm glad you enjoy Freedom Cardboard as well, we can agree it is very much a breath of fresh air to this hobby. They very much respect the pre-war hobby over there.
edited to be nicer...I hope all new card collectors get all the cards they hope to get and continue the tradition of collecting baseball cards ..Happy holidays!!

Last edited by Leon; 12-23-2010 at 12:48 PM.
Old 12-23-2010, 11:34 AM
Todd

I purchase a few boxes of modern baseball and hockey cards per year. Now that I'm into the "vintage" more, the money for the modern cards isn't there as much as it used to be. I still enjoy busting open some packs though!

Sometimes pulling that "big" card is a thrill! I remember when I pulled a dual GU/Auto jersey card of Mario Lemieux and Wayne Gretzky! It was a lot of fun!

Then there was my "hot box" of 2009 Topps Heritage where I pulled the SP variations of Pedro Martinez, Alex Rios, Justin Pedroia, Neftali Feliz and Albert Pujols! (I know, I know, manufactured scarcity...) But it's all in fun!

I enjoy the thrill of that pre-war or vintage card arriving in the mail and I enjoy busting open some packs too! I occasionally turn to Ebay to add to my player collections of Pierre Turgeon (hockey) and Kevin McReynolds (I know, I know...who?) lol

I even have a "want list" of card sets from when I was younger. Some might consider them "junk," but they are the "key" sets/cards from my childhood years. I plan to purchase them all within the following year: 1978 Topps (the year I was born!), 1982 Topps and Topps Traded, 1982 Fleer, 1982 Donruss, 1983 Donruss, 1983 Fleer, 1983 Topps and Topps Traded, 1984 Fleer and Fleer Update, 1984 Donruss, 1985 Topps, 1985 Fleer, 1985 Donruss, 1986 Donruss, 1986 Fleer, 1986 Topps Traded, 1987 Fleer, 1987 Donruss, 1988 Score Update, 1989 Upper Deck, 1990 Leaf, 1991 Stadium Club, 1992 Bowman, and 1993 SP. lol Not as exciting, but I really would like to have these just for "fun."

That's what it is all about: fun! (for me, anyways)

Todd
Old 12-23-2010, 11:43 AM

Awwww Skip it.

Last edited by Orioles1954; 12-23-2010 at 11:51 AM.
Old 12-23-2010, 12:20 PM
Clayton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilko G View Post
Someone correct me if im wrong but i believe all these 2010 Topps bat cards of these legends are NOT actual game used bats from for instance Ty Cobb. They are dated to his era and are only "game model" bats. I was looking on ebay to read what the COA says from one of these 2010 Topps cards, but guess what? Not one auction posts a picture of the back of the card stating what the actual relic is. That is why these are selling so "cheap". There are older REAL game used cards that sell for much more, but these 2010 Topps cards are not actual Cobb game used pieces i believe.
I think this is the case. Another thing Topps is doing now (maybe they have been for awhile, I don't know) are these "commemorative patches". On the back of the card it clearly states "The embroidered patch featured on the front of this card was created exclusively for 2010 Topps Baseball Series 2".

I don't think there was an issue here of dissing modern collectors, I think it was an issue of how people felt about cutting up pieces of baseball history and manufactured scarcity........
Attached Images
File Type: jpg various 008.jpg (46.5 KB, 262 views)
File Type: jpg various 009.jpg (56.0 KB, 262 views)
Old 12-23-2010, 12:44 PM
Richard A.

Without getting into the debate of right or wrong with GU cards, I think the long-term value of these cards is pretty low.

As at least one poster noted above, if you're going to make money in these cards it's by pulling them from packs and flipping them while they're still hot. This is based on very little experience in that arena [I own exactly 1 GU card that I bought this year after waiting 5-6 years for it to be available for under $10], and as always, I'm sure there are exceptions.

Regards,

Richard.
Old 12-23-2010, 02:13 PM
Rich Klein

Default I'll say more later

But I've been on both sides of the aisle on this --- and each side has tons of merit

I've posted on this before and will do either later tonight or over the weekend

Rich
Old 12-23-2010, 02:31 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

close your eyes what do you see....

They are kinda neat, other than a novelty not quite sure

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 12-23-2010, 03:53 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Some points on a lazy Thursday afternoon:

--Whether or not modern GU/Auto cards are appealing depends in part on whether you like and follow the current game and want to collect something from it. If so, you obviously cannot collect vintage cards of modern players. For me, I try to pick up autographed modern cards of players I enjoy watching, like Jeter or Ichiro, and if I see a GU card that I find appealing I might pick it up too if it is cheap. When I had a chance to go behind the scenes at Dodgers Stadium some years ago I picked up a bunch of modern GU cards for my nephew and I to get autographed by some of the players we liked.

--Orioles1954, you are right and wrong. Some posters are not especially tactful in their responses and some posts do 'diss' modern cards for reasons that have little relationship to the question the original poster raised. However, you may also consider that there is a difference between criticizing a collector for collecting and criticizing the item being collected. Many people here loathe the practice of cutting up jerseys and bats to make cards with little chips of jerseys and bats on them. Their expressions of their disgust for the practice is not personal; don't take it that way. Also, the thread was opinions on the long-term value of GU cards, and there I think the posters discounting the potential future appreciation of those cards based on performance over the last decade or so have good points.

As is often remarked on this site, collect what you want. Just don't take others' negative opinions of what you collect to heart. Life it too short to worry about what other people think. Besides, we all spend countless hours playing with baseball cards. We're all dipsh**s.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 12-23-2010 at 03:54 PM.
Old 12-23-2010, 06:19 PM
Larry

I agree completely with David--what the card companies have done with truly historic items (assuming they could ever be truly established as having that status now) falls into the tragic category. As to value, they are best categorized as a fad, with no lasting monetary value at all. If you take the time to actually study items that have become quite valuable in our collecting field, as well as others (with coin collecting especially having followed many of the same trends and patterns, but having had the benefit of having been around in an organized fashion for 120 years longer), you will find that they all have as common attributes rarity and signifance. Any gold coin bearing a date of pre-1834, for example, is rare and significant, because the vast majority of them were melted down for bullion value, since at the time, the bullion value exceeded the coin's face value. Most U.S. coins from the 1790's are enormously significant, as they are the first coins issued by the United States as an entity, and are not only rare in many cases, but enormously significant (they might be seen as this country's "rookie" coins). Any authentic Babe Ruth card from the 19-teens, twenties or thirties is significant and in many cases legitimately rare (with the obvious exception of the 'thirties Goudey issues). The game-used materials cards will never have these attributes.
Old 12-23-2010, 06:26 PM
Rich Klein

Default More points as I get into a 3 day weekend

Like I said; I'm literally on both sides of the aisle here ---- more than most of you realize and frankly I'm more aware of the modern card market than I am of the vintage card market many times

A few longer bullet-points: I've posted most of these thoughts one way or the other in the past.

** In 2002, I gave a presentation at the first "Deadball" conference in Hot Springs, Ark. Mike D was not yet part of the group otherwise he would have been part of the "spirited" discussion. We were all expected to bring research topics to the table -- and with my lack of time to prepare -- I went a slightly different way and began a conversation about deadball era BB Cards and why did 1910 seem to be the key year.
During that discussion, I brought up the concept of game-used cards and you have to remember that was the concept of vintage players and game-used was still a reasonably new concept. It was also a good target audience in that none of the other six people there were really active collectors -- except for me having to chase down a Dave Egan card. (You had to be there to understand why).
We basically agreed, that if a player had used hundreds of bats during his career; that cutting up 1-2 of them for cards was not neccessarily a bad idea BUT if you had a situation such as In the Game cutting up the only known pair of Georges Vezina pads then you had a terrrible disservice to history. The middle is broad; but at the time, most of the card companies actually tried to keep track and if they knew it was the only one, they usually passed on cutting.

***** In today's world, collectors expect to get at least one "hit" (which in these terms mean autographs or memorabilia) out of every box. In some products the cards are of vintage players and thus the memorabilia is the same. ****

**** So far, and I would suspect in the future -- autograph cards have and will continue to hold their value better than game-used cards. As always there are exceptions, one of which is the 2001 SP Legendary Cuts Joe Jackson bat card. There will be no more Joe Jackson "game-used' bat cards issued by a licensed manufacturer unless he gets reinstated. Other non-licensced companies can used Shoeless Joe.

***** Sometimes, as has been pointed out, these cards *DO* generate interest in vintage cards and cards and more of these players can be the gateway to vintage cards. The same has been true of the Topps "Million Card Giveaway" which has spurred several people *I* have "spoken to on FB* to start collecting older cards. I know of one collector who now buys 5-10 small lots of pre-1970 cards on EBay each week and I'll bet he goes back into our cards soon

***** And if we want future collectors to have the same love for these old cards that we do, let's not diss them at this point. Just because *I* was able to buy my 1st T-Cards in the mid-1970's for $1-2 each including HOFers -- does not mean the same runs true today -- we have to nurture and realize that today's box dealer may be tomorrow's vintage specialist

**** And I love to point out this story, in my last year at Beckett we had a minor issue with the Almanac in which the 1993 Topps set checklist was missing about 200 cards due to a production error. You know, I swear we had several hundred complaints about that during the year --- and the Almanac was just as much for advanced collectors as basic collectors but if I forgot to put in a Pinkerton checklist, I'd bet I'd get 1-2 complaints during the year.

***** We have to remember, that we are an influential group, but a very small part of the hobby in many many ways

Happy holidays to all

Rich Klein

Regards and happy holidays

Rich
Old 12-23-2010, 06:31 PM
T0dd M@rcum

Also when there is a crappy local mall show, it gives you something to look at.
Old 12-23-2010, 07:17 PM

I agree with those who opine that game-used items are not likely to increase in value over time, with the possible exception of scarce vintage items (Cobb signature, Jackson bat). It seems to me that the more GU cards of Jeter and LeBron are produced, the less the value of each one. To cite a 'recent' example, I would be stunned if the high-value LeBron 1/1 rookie that received such public attention would bring anywhere near its original value 10 years down the road.
Old 12-23-2010, 07:57 PM
Chris

I wonder what is next? They are gonna run out of these vintage items some day. I think (and this makes me sick) that they are actually going to take a authentic t206 Wagner or some other rare card and cut it up into little squares and them place them into new product. Just wait and see.
Old 12-23-2010, 08:31 PM
Richard A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterdutchess View Post
I think (and this makes me sick) that they are actually going to take a authentic t206 Wagner or some other rare card and cut it up into little squares and them place them into new product. Just wait and see.
Imagine that, eh? A series of modern cards that contain T206s. You could own a 'complete' T206 set without even owning a 'complete' T206. Of course, distinguishing between a 'Magie' and a 'Magee' could be tough

I guess when it's all said and done, it's really just a numbers game, though, right? How much does artifact X cost and how much market buzz and product sales can artifact X generate.

Regards,

Richard.
Old 12-23-2010, 09:56 PM
Al

This is a prewar board, so it doesn't surprise me to feel a little anti-shiny bias here (and it definitely is here). I detested the relic and bat cards too, until something happened. My son (8 at the time) opened a pack of cards that had a Bobby Thompson bat card in it.

I explained to him who Bobby Thompson was, and his eyes got wide, and he said "and this is his BAT?" He actually gasped.

I thought that was awesome. He has a couple of other game-used cards now, and he collects - both shiny cards and older ones. I gave him his first T206 a few months ago. He loves the hobby. And he loves those game-used cards.

I love this hobby and I love that there are a bunch of grown men and women that I call my friends and share the hobby with - but at the end of the day, this is a kids' hobby, and if carving up some bats will help kids discover the history of the sport - then I'm all for it.

-Al
Old 12-23-2010, 10:19 PM
Frank Kealoha Ward

Some are coming down on posts in this thread for knocking modern collectors. I wasnt doing that at all.
Some of them are very knowledgeable in their chosen field! I actually spend more time on FCB than here, they have more threads and really know their current players and future prospects... and Im clueless on some of the modern card topics so like to read some stuff I dont know already for a change

IMO its much tougher being an "Expert" on modern stuff, than an "Expert" on vintage stuff, for the simple fact that there is 100X++ more modern stuff out there to remember.

FWIW, I was just giving my opinion on the topic title.... "What is the long term future value of Game-Used cards?"
No one knows for sure, but many of us have followed trends in this hobby for many years and would make a good guess at the answer.
Old 12-25-2010, 07:20 AM
J@son Du.nc@n

I think they will become worthless almost as in the days of the shiny new inserts of the early 1990s. I do however, see autographs on true vintage cards increasing significantly. Just do an ebay search and try to find some of those from the 50s and 60s. Those are on the flip side very undervalued. You can easily find 30-50 game used cards for one vintage card autographed in most cases.
Old 12-25-2010, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al C.risafulli View Post
This is a prewar board, so it doesn't surprise me to feel a little anti-shiny bias here (and it definitely is here). I detested the relic and bat cards too, until something happened. My son (8 at the time) opened a pack of cards that had a Bobby Thompson bat card in it.

I explained to him who Bobby Thompson was, and his eyes got wide, and he said "and this is his BAT?" He actually gasped.

I thought that was awesome. He has a couple of other game-used cards now, and he collects - both shiny cards and older ones. I gave him his first T206 a few months ago. He loves the hobby. And he loves those game-used cards.

I love this hobby and I love that there are a bunch of grown men and women that I call my friends and share the hobby with - but at the end of the day, this is a kids' hobby, and if carving up some bats will help kids discover the history of the sport - then I'm all for it.

-Al
I completely agree with Al. Also, a lot of people that collect the game-used cards, eventually start to gravitate towards true vintage memorabilia. How can that be bad?

And one more thing, Cooperstown has more memorabilia than they will ever display, so as bad as cutting up these pieces may sound, it's not going to have an negative impact on any of our collections, present or future.
Old 12-27-2010, 07:47 PM
"Thumbs Down Guy"

Wonder what you guys think of these - sawdust "coins" made up from game-used bats. These were produced by the Highland Mint.

(Photo taken July 14, 2008. © Gary Dunaier. Link to upload on Flickr.com: here.)

(Photo taken July 14, 2008. © Gary Dunaier. Link to upload on Flickr.com: here.)
Old 12-27-2010, 07:51 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Dunaier View Post
Wonder what you guys think of these - sawdust "coins" made up from game-used bats. These were produced by the Highland Mint.

What's next? Are they gonna put the fresh cut grass from there graves into new cards?
Old 12-27-2010, 08:53 PM
_Er!ck*L.ew1n_

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterdutchess View Post
What's next? Are they gonna put the fresh cut grass from there graves into new cards?
Hey don't give them ideas......
Old 12-28-2010, 06:28 PM
Mike

I'm a vintage collector but can't afford a Cobb or Ruth game used uniform. I have to admitt I have bought both a Babe Ruth and Ty Cobb card containing a piece of game-worn uniform. It's fun to have them in with the old stuff and touch a piece of "The Babe's" uniform or Cobbs pants and think he was wearing it as he slid into a base.
Old 12-28-2010, 06:44 PM
Steve F
St.eve F@llet.ti

Dont matter much what we think... Question is., What will the collectors 100 yrs from today, think of these habits.

One can only hope the greedy card companies and fast-buck freddies fall on their fat asses. Then perhaps, the destruction will stop.

Tags
cut auto, game-used, ty cobb