NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-22-2010, 11:01 AM
Ted Zanidakis

Default Talkin' BaseBall Pinball machines

As a kid growing up in the 1940's & '50s, I was a BB pinball "nut". Every Summer we would go to the Jersey shore,
where the biggest & best BB pinball machines were. I'd spend my entire Coin collection playing BB pinball machines.

In 1988, an SCD adv. was auctioning off a BB pinball machine. I instantly realized that it was no ordinary machine,
but the "Babe Ruth" of BB machines. I bid on it and won it. And, since it had some electro-mechanical problems, I
got it for a very reasonable price. Applying my EE expertise, I solved its problems, and I've had it in operation for
the past 22 years.

Shown here is my 1950 United Super Slugger. It has 3 decks that you aim to hit HR's....and, 4th level (a small slot
designated "SUPER HOMER") that tallies up 50 Runs if you are lucky to hit it. This slot is seldom hit. Plastic players
run the bases, and it has many other clever features.

The machine allows you 3 Outs to run up the score; and, some pretty high scores have been been been attained
on it. My Grandson Ron, Mark Macrae, friends Pat Roche, and Kim Vida, have run up scores approaching 500 Runs.
I have the highest score (526 Runs) on it....home-court advantage, I guess.

Anyhow, that's my story, so now let's hear about your BB pinball stories ?

[linked image]

TED Z
Old 09-22-2010, 11:47 AM
Barry Arnold

Default pinball

gorgeous machine, Ted, and what a great find!!!
i spent my boyhood punching that button on the side at just the right moment to swing the bat for coveted homeruns into the upper deck(s)--
depending on the machine.
even slipped in a number of those silver dollar bars just to play baseball on the pinball.
Closest i ever got to owning one was a 007 pinball machine which i kept for 25 years until i got tired of the periodic shock i received---i'm no bell engineer!!!
great thread.

all the best, ole buddy
barry
Old 09-22-2010, 02:18 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Default Talkin' BaseBall pinball machines

Barry

Shocking ! ....very shocking !

Yep, those vintage machines had only 2-wire plugs; and, you had to be very careful. I converted mine with a 3-wire power
cord to make sure it was electrically grounded.
Thanks for your interest in this subject ole buddy.

What are your current challenges regarding your T206 adventure ?

T-Rex TED
Old 09-22-2010, 05:49 PM
Chris
Chr.is Ta.bar

More info on this game at the incredibly awesome Internet Pinball Database:

http://www.ipdb.org/search.pl?any=su...archtype=quick

Love me some pinball, though I haven't played this particular one. Someday, I will own a Funhouse machine. Someday. Grew up playing "Mystic Marvel" at my grandmother's house (my mom & uncle had a machine growing up in the 50s!) and "Strat-o-Flite" at our house. I was a lucky kid

Tabe
Old 09-22-2010, 06:40 PM
Barry Arnold

Default trex

Ted,
i've been having a great time seeking T206 era cigarette packs and recently picked up 2 unopened ones: a Polar Bear and an Obak.
I think i now have 18 different framed packs on one wall of my office.

how are your packs coming?
all the best,
barry
Old 09-22-2010, 09:34 PM
Max Weder

Pinball pitch and bat games are great. Here is my Williams

Max
Old 09-23-2010, 02:29 AM

Default Pinball Machine

Ted, any chance you might know of a "Final Score" pinball out there ? It featured the Reds and Tigers who played in the 1940 W/S .
Thanks,Len
Old 09-23-2010, 07:41 AM
Ted Zanidakis

Default Len and Max

Len

I'm not familiar with the "Final Score" machine.

Max

I have very fond memories of your Williams BB machine. If I had all the nickels I put into this pinball, I'd be a really "rich guy"
nowadays

In the 1950's, this Williams BB pinball was the most popular game along the Jersey shore arcades....Asbury Park, Atlantic City,
Long Branch, Ocean City, Wildwood, and Cape May.

If I recall correctly, my Super Slugger was only in the larger arcades found in Asbury Park and Atlantic City.

I really appreciate you posting pictures of it.....I'm having flashbacks of some great memories.

I'll follow up later today with a "bad news/good news" story about my machine.

Thanks,

TED Z
Old 09-23-2010, 08:18 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseballart View Post
Pinball pitch and bat games are great. Here is my Williams

Max
One of my favorite machines, Max. Yours looks great.
Old 09-23-2010, 09:12 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Here's mine...

A slightly earlier model than those posted by Ted and Max. Mine has fewer "bells and whistles", but lots of aesthetic appeal. It's a "one player" game that works great, with the exception of two burnt out lights. Anybody know who to contact for routine maintenance of these? (Max - we're close geographically, so perhaps you have a contact?)

The one thing I really miss on my Machine are the Home Run "ramps". As a kid, I used to love launching those homers into the "grandstands". IMO, nothing in the hobby has more charm than these wood-rail games with the runners circling the bases behind the glass...

Great thread!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Stan3.jpg (36.8 KB, 672 views)
Old 09-23-2010, 09:32 AM
Ted Zanidakis

Default perezfan

Thanks for posting your machine. What vintage is it ?

Also, I have gotten parts from an outfit in upstate New York. It's been quite a while since I have, and I don't recall the source.
There are suppliers on the West coast, try a search on google.

Fortunately, I have done all the repair & maintenance work on my machine. Because (here on the East coast) the pinball gurus
don't make "house calls".

TED Z
Old 09-23-2010, 10:22 AM
Banned

Mine also is a one-player model, Mark. From 1963.

http://www.ipdb.org/search.pl?any=sl...ype=quick#2210
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pb1.jpg (48.0 KB, 528 views)
File Type: jpg pb2.jpg (65.4 KB, 528 views)
File Type: jpg pb3.jpg (49.6 KB, 521 views)
Old 09-23-2010, 12:01 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Default An interesting pinball machine story......and, let's hear yours ?

Here's a story you "pinballer's" will appreciate.

Everytime any of our 3 grandchildren are visiting us, they go straight to the Super Slugger. Six years ago, Kurtis and Madison (then
11 and 8 years old, respectively) were competing with each other....running up their scores on the machine.

Suddenly, I hear them calling...."Grampie, Grampie "

I run down to our lower garage to see (and smell) smoke emanating from the machine. Apparently, they had held down the Batting
button too long; and, this caused the Bat actuator solenoid inside the machine to burn up. I had instructed them to always moment-
arily press the Bat button. But the're just kids, these things do happen. My daughter Debbie was really upset, she knows how much
I enjoy this pinball machine.

I lifted the top of the machine and unsoldered the electromagnet coil that energized the bat mechanism. I acquired an exact replace-
ment coil from a supplier in upstate New York. Soldered it into the machine and turned on the power.

"SLAM-BAM".....now I really had a "Super Slugger", as the Bat was significantly more powerful than before. My grandchildren did me a
great favor (although they sure didn't think so that day). Obviously, the original solenoid had lost some of its juice over the past 50+
years.

What was more satisfying than realizing that I had revitalized my machine....was the glee on Kurtis' and Madison's faces, when I told
them that they had inadvertently did us all a great favor.

TED Z
Old 09-23-2010, 12:48 PM
Mark Macrae

Ted.... With the update made to the machine, you'll have to start tabulating a new summary of high scores. All new home run totals made after this "juicing", shall we say, will have to include an asterisk to reflect this artificial supplement, which was not available to previous record holders (you, Pat Roche , Ronnie & myself). By some longshot of a chance, was this part manufactured by Balco Enterprises.........? Hmm.......
Old 09-23-2010, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
Here's mine...

A slightly earlier model than those posted by Ted and Max. Mine has fewer "bells and whistles", but lots of aesthetic appeal. It's a "one player" game that works great, with the exception of two burnt out lights. Anybody know who to contact for routine maintenance of these? (Max - we're close geographically, so perhaps you have a contact?)

The one thing I really miss on my Machine are the Home Run "ramps". As a kid, I used to love launching those homers into the "grandstands". IMO, nothing in the hobby has more charm than these wood-rail games with the runners circling the bases behind the glass...

Great thread!
I used to work for a video game outfit in Northern Indiana. The owner had all kinds of parts/old games/etc....

I am sure if you contact a local vending/amusement company in your area, you might have a good chance of finding replacement parts.
Old 09-23-2010, 01:43 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by David W View Post
I used to work for a video game outfit in Northern Indiana. The owner had all kinds of parts/old games/etc....

I am sure if you contact a local vending/amusement company in your area, you might have a good chance of finding replacement parts.
Thanks! Will try that, and Google as well. The Yellow Pages were pretty much worthless... about as "old school" as these great machines!

Ted... apparently yours is actually from 1955 and mine is from 1953, according to the database.

Last edited by perezfan; 09-23-2010 at 01:52 PM.
Old 09-23-2010, 01:47 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Default Mark Macrae

Are you alluding to the possibility that my machine is now on "steroids" ?

Hey ole buddy, I guess your old score (and mine) will have to be "asterisked"....

Well, next time you are in Pennsylvania, you'll have to better your old score. Then I can remove the asterisk.

Incidently, the steel balls are hit so much harder now, that it is much tougher to get the 50-Run bonus shot.

Take care old friend.

TED Z
Old 09-23-2010, 07:41 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Default perezfan

Thanks for this info......

"Ted... apparently yours is actually from 1955 and mine is from 1953, according to the database"

TED Z
Old 09-24-2010, 07:05 AM
Ted Zanidakis

Default Barry Arnold

Just getting back to you regarding your "?" in post #5.

You are way ahead of me in the Tobacco pack game.

My collection comprises of AMERICAN BEAUTY factory 25 (VA), MECCA, OLD JUDGE, PIEDMONT factory 25 (VA),
PIEDMONT factory 42 (NC), PIRATE, and RECRUIT.

Best regards ole buddy,

TED Z
Old 09-24-2010, 07:53 AM

great thread.

great machines.

I don't remember your machine Ted (before my time I guess) - but it is very cool looking.

I remember playing 'Slugger'

For sure my favorite was "Pinch Hitter" -
I loved that game!
Max - that machine is absolutely beautiful!

Last edited by bijoem; 09-24-2010 at 07:53 AM.
Old 09-24-2010, 10:54 AM
Ted Zanidakis

Default Joe

The United's Super Slugger Pitch & Bat machines were not as numerous as Max's Williams machines.

Where did you play the BB pinball games ?

Also, if you do a search on my machine, you'll find some great pictures of it.

Best regards and will we see you at the Philly Show this weekend ?

TED Z
Old 09-24-2010, 04:50 PM

Ted -

I will see you tomorrow. I am looking forward to it.

I played BB pinball in arcades in malls, hotels, amusement parks, and boardwalks. I think I grew up in the arcade era. They were everywhere.

Last edited by bijoem; 09-24-2010 at 04:51 PM.
Old 09-27-2010, 02:52 PM
Ted Zanidakis

For those of you interested in more info on my Super Slugger BB pinball machine....check-out this link:

http://www.marvin3m.com/baseball/supslug.htm

TED Z
Old 09-28-2010, 12:35 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Great stuff, Ted! Such pride of workmanship and attention to detail... that is one spectacular machine. I can't think of anything that better defines the golden era of baseball (and Americana) better than that.

Thanks for posting...
Old 09-28-2010, 11:52 AM

Interesting post, Ted, thanks for sharing. It's hard to believe that the pinball-baseball machines pictured in this thread survived in such nice shape over the years.
Old 09-28-2010, 04:15 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Default Thanks tbob

Bob

The following is the history of my machine:

Circa 1955 to 1976 at a boardwalk arcade at the Jersey shore.

Then the previous owner had it operating in his parent's garage from 1976 to 1988.

I acquired it from him in 1988; and, it has been operational since then. From 1988 to 2002 in our
house at the Jersey shore. And in 2002, we moved it to our home in Pennsylvania.

Perhaps, it is still in pretty nice shape because it was privately owned for the past 35 years. And,
I keep it operational by doing periodic maintenance on it.

TED Z

Last edited by tedzan; 09-28-2010 at 05:27 PM.
Old 09-28-2010, 04:37 PM
Matt Hall

I saw one on icollect. Looks newer though...

http://www.icollector.com/10-25-Cent...ll-Ba_i9734792
Old 09-28-2010, 04:41 PM
Chris
Chr.is Ta.bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedzan View Post
For those of you interested in more info on my Super Slugger BB pinball machine....check-out this link:

http://www.marvin3m.com/baseball/supslug.htm

TED Z
Marvin's Marvelous Museum! Love that place. Try to make it a point to stop there whenever I visit my parents (grew up 20 minutes away, in Pontiac). They have this huge pinball machine with flippers that are about 8" long and a ball the size of a cue ball. Sounds great - until you play it. Then you realize just how slow a ball like that will roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by redmansam View Post
Ted, any chance you might know of a "Final Score" pinball out there ? It featured the Reds and Tigers who played in the 1940 W/S .
Thanks,Len
It's actually the 1935 World Series - Cubs vs Tigers - not the 1940. The game came out in 1937:

Final Score:

http://www.ipdb.org/search.pl?any=fi...archtype=quick

Tabe

Last edited by Tabe; 09-28-2010 at 04:43 PM.
Old 09-28-2010, 04:41 PM
Dave.Horn.ish

Nice game you have there Ted. I am just old enough to remember the old Atlantic City arcades with these and some other "pre-modern" machines. Pinball and similar games are really not out there much anymore-too bad, a couple of hours wasted in the pub with a pinball machine is not wasted time.
Old 09-28-2010, 06:37 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Default Tabe

Thanks for the info.

I'll make a point of it, next time I'm near Pontiac, to check out the museum.

TED Z
Old 09-28-2010, 06:56 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Default toppcat

Dave

Pinball machines of all kinds were everywhere when we were kids. When we were not playing Baseball, we were at the nearby Diner.
It had a cool pinball machine. We would run up the score hoping to hear that most satisfying sound to our ears....a sharp THUD.....
THUD.....THUD.....THUD.....THUD.....THUD.....THUD. ....THUD.....THUD.....THUD......we had just racked up 10 free games.

Boy, what these kids nowadays are missing.

Thanks,

TED Z
Old 09-28-2010, 09:47 PM
Barry Arnold

Default TRex

That 'thud' sound does bring back the memories.
i still remember the folks gathering 'round just to see the number of games we'd won.

great stuff.

best,
barry
Old 09-29-2010, 06:54 AM
T0dd M@rcum

We still have at the Williams machines when we make it to Myrtle Beach...one of the arcades has a whole wall of them. Make to to 27 runs and you get a prize...I have won once or twice, but last summer I made it to 26 runs with one out and promptly hit two outs...good times.
Old 09-29-2010, 01:02 PM
Ted Zanidakis

My cousin lives in Myrtle Beach. I will certainly check out that arcade when we are visiting them. Thanks for your info.

TED Z
Old 09-30-2010, 09:18 AM

I'm late to the party, but thought I would add my Williams pinball machine, or at least the part that's not covered by piles of other baseball stuff.

Greg
http://www.baseballbasement.com
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PInball.jpg (58.8 KB, 357 views)
File Type: jpg Pinball close.jpg (59.1 KB, 358 views)
Old 09-30-2010, 01:13 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Default Hey guys....

A nice variety of BB pinball machines on display here.

Thanks for showing them....and, let's see, or hear, some more about these electro-mechanical creations that have given us so much pleasure.

TED Z
Old 09-30-2010, 04:32 PM
FredYoung

Default Ted---

---that machine you have is a BEAUTY! Thanks for showing it! The others bring back memories too!

Having been born & raised in a couple of small country towns in WNY, pinball machines were not something I had seen much of growing up.

In the early '50's I went on vacation thru the midwest w/ my parents & we spent a few days in St Louis, staying at a real nice downtown hotel.

While looking around the lobby area I spotted a big ole' Williams Baseball machine! I was hooked!

Every nickel I could conjure from my parents I spent on that machine--every free moment I had I was there in the lobby trying to knock those little silver balls up the ramps & into the stands--it was the highlight of my visit to St Louis!
Old 10-01-2010, 07:52 AM
I. "Iggy" G0nz@lez
"rich"

Not mine but what the heck, it sort of belongs in this thread. That is Harry Coveleski in the pic.

Lovely Day...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ACOV.jpg (32.9 KB, 314 views)
Old 10-03-2010, 12:04 PM
Ted Zanidakis

iggyman

Great photo....my guess is circa 1940's.

Now, what's your guess.......

What record did brothers Harry and Stan Coveleski make BB history with ?

TED Z
Old 10-03-2010, 04:25 PM

Thanks for the stories and photos, we all grew up playing more modern BB pins, 1960s machines I imagine, loved 'em! Mark, didn't realize you were such a wizard!
Old 10-04-2010, 08:07 AM
I. "Iggy" G0nz@lez
"rich"

Quote:
iggyman

Great photo....my guess is circa 1940's.

Now, what's your guess.......

What record did brothers Harry and Stan Coveleski make BB history with ?

TED Z
Ted,

I browse my copy of "Glory Of Their Times" but couldn't find the answer. After further research (google search), I've solve the puzzle................first siblings to win 20 games in a season. I have no idea on the date of the pinball machine, but Harry died in 1950. The photo was taken inside a bar and as any G-man will tell you, prohibition ended in 1933, so your circa 1940's date is probably accurate.

On a side note, in 1908 Harry went 4 and 1 with three of those wins coming against the Giants (all of them starts and all in September, during the exciting 1908 pennant race). So what is the big deal you ask, well I'll quote Glory Of Their Times; "Most people think it was Merkle lost the 1908 pennant for the Giants, Well, they're wrong. It was Harry Covelski. He was just a rookie, but he beat the Giants three times in the last week of the season. Pitched every other day for a week, and beat them three in a row. That was after the Merkle business and that's what lost the pennant for McGraw that year. The Giants would have won the championship if they'd beat Harry even one of those three games."

Lovely Day...
Old 10-04-2010, 09:10 AM
Ted Zanidakis

Default Harry Coveleski....the "Giants Killer"

iggyman

You've got it.....Harry and Stan Coveleski were the first brother's act to each win 20 games in a season. Harry had three 20+ win
seasons. Stan had four 20+ win seasons. And, pitching for Washington in 1925, Stan won 20 games (he had a slightly better year
than Walter Johnson).

Yes, I read that in the "Glory Of Their Times" about Harry single-handedly beating McGraw's gang. His 3rd victory over the Giants
that Sept of '08, was against Mathewson.

Thanks guy....great answer, great post.

TED Z

Incidently, who are the other brother combos that have won 20 games ?

Last edited by tedzan; 10-04-2010 at 12:04 PM.
Old 10-04-2010, 12:36 PM
T0dd M@rcum

Not to out an auction, but this one has a lot of variables...

IF you live in SoCal and IF you have the ability to restore pinball machines, this looks like a whale of a buy. IF you have to get it trucked somewhere and pay to have it restored, probably not so much.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=250703802059
Old 10-05-2010, 07:20 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Russ Snyder has helped to acquire parts for my pinball machine. Although he is a local guy in my area, he is familiar with parts
places throughout the country.

I recommend him to any of you guys needing parts or assistance in keeping your machine operational.

[linked image]

TED Z
Old 10-05-2010, 07:49 PM
I. "Iggy" G0nz@lez
"rich"

Whoops, sorry Ted, thanks for the post, but it sure looks like you started this thread as a pretense to advertise for Russ Snyder. My apologies, but advertising, no matter how ambiguous is a big no-no. Looks like you've been outed, I suggest you start doing some military sit-ups and perhaps a permanent demerit on your record will serve as a reminder. By the way, thanks again for the thread!

Lovely Day

Last edited by iggyman; 10-05-2010 at 07:51 PM.
Old 10-06-2010, 09:41 AM
Ted Zanidakis

Default Hey iggyman

I got down and did 50 push-ups.....thus, I was spared an Air Force Article 15 ......

Look, it's not always easy to find parts for the vintage machines; and, this fellow has been quite resourceful for me.
So, just simply trying to help the pinball owners on this thread.

Regards,

TED Z
Old 10-06-2010, 09:56 AM
I. "Iggy" G0nz@lez
"rich"

Ted,

I was just having some fun with the peasant/forum owner. No explanation or justification was needed from your end. Glad to hear you got your exercise in! Next time you're in Vegas, the entrance to the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum is on me.

Lovely Day...

Last edited by iggyman; 10-06-2010 at 10:01 AM.
Old 10-07-2010, 04:11 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Hey guy, I haven't been to Vegas. But, your offer certainly sounds enticing. I'll have to check it out someday.

Regards,

TED Z
Old 10-07-2010, 11:38 PM
Chris
Chr.is Ta.bar

Quote:
Incidently, who are the other brother combos that have won 20 games ?
Joe & Phil Niekro
Jim & Gaylord Perry
Pedro & Ramon Martinez

Not sure if there's any others.

Tabe
Old 10-11-2010, 08:03 AM
Ted Zanidakis

Default Tabe

Pardon me for not responding sooner.

Thanks for your correct answers.

Now, try this bit of trivia......

What brother combo in Major Lge. BB has the the most single season WINS between them (in separate seasons) ?

TED Z