NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 11-27-2012, 05:26 PM

Default pencil

Here is my favorite item in my collection and it happens to be a pencil signature. Program signed by Rabbit Maranville, George Specs Torporcer, George Selkirk and Rip Collins.

I also remember reading somewhere that Pencil is a permanent medium and that ink by composition will break down. Do not know how true that is but this looks as good I imagine as the day it was signed 75 years ago.

Old 11-27-2012, 06:22 PM

Quite true, Chris. Ink fades, pencil does not.
Old 11-28-2012, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post

Seriously though... would a good art eraser likely eliminate the name completely (with no visible remnants). Or would it devalue the piece more by either smearing it, lightening the paper underneath, or only removing a portion of the lead? I guess I'm trying to ask if it would do more harm than good.
I run an antique mall and routinely use a gum based art eraser on old paper, most typically antique books. We'll remove an old pencilled-in price. Successfully erasing all signs of the graphite, without affecting the paper, has as much to do with the paper as anything else.

The Gehrig is on old high-pulp high-acid type paper, which is why it has toned some. Any attempts to erase the pencil would be very obvious.

As an aside, I'm totally with David on never altering items.
Old 11-30-2012, 10:49 AM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Atkatz View Post
Here's my pencil beauty:

F ME, that's a beaut David!!!!!!!!!!!

I'd erase the "Nick" and write in "David". Better yet, just save the erasing and cut out the "Nick" part...then you'd really have something special there
Old 11-30-2012, 11:27 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuddjcal View Post

I'd erase the "Nick" and write in "David". Better yet, just save the erasing and cut out the "Nick" part...then you'd really have something special there
+1
Old 11-30-2012, 11:42 AM
qu@n nguy3n

missed out on this good thread the 1st go round. agreed would never erase any personalized inscription. i'm one of those who don't mind personal inscriptions, even if i'm the farthest-looking from an "otto".

great gehrig sig from david, but does the "nick" look out of place to anybody else? i don't know gehrig's handwriting but the nick just look odd when you compare to the "best wishes, lou gehrig" part. if you'd told me nick wrote in "nick" there himself i would believe it.
Old 11-30-2012, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuddjcal View Post

Nick's my son's name. One day, it will be his.
(Not that it's not a good idea...)
Old 11-30-2012, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaddurbin View Post
missed out on this good thread the 1st go round. agreed would never erase any personalized inscription. i'm one of those who don't mind personal inscriptions, even if i'm the farthest-looking from an "otto".

great gehrig sig from david, but does the "nick" look out of place to anybody else? i don't know gehrig's handwriting but the nick just look odd when you compare to the "best wishes, lou gehrig" part. if you'd told me nick wrote in "nick" there himself i would believe it.
The "Nick" doesn't look odd at all, Chad--it's most definitely in Gehrig's handwriting. Here's how he addressed the other side:

Last edited by David Atkatz; 11-30-2012 at 04:12 PM.
Old 11-30-2012, 04:33 PM
MîçhćŁ ßöwŁßĄ

David,

I can see why Chad may have thought it was in a different hand. I looks like Gehrig wrote the salutation and then stopped to double check the name and when he started again he left a large space between 'wishes' and 'Nick'. It also looks like he may have turned the pencil a bit and gotten a new edge. That is why pencil signatures are so great. They can have a lot of character, much like a fountain pen. From my perspective it is easy to see that it is all in Gehrig's hand. The flair in 'Nick' fits with the rest of the writing and the 'i' is very consistent.

Cheers,

Michael
Old 11-30-2012, 07:01 PM
qu@n nguy3n

michael--you summed up my observation perfectly and your theory makes alot of sense. that's a beautiful piece and you'd have to be crazy to erase the "nick".
Old 03-21-2013, 03:13 PM
Sam Lemoine

I've got quite a few signatures in pencil in my Olympic collection. This is especially true when dealing with signatures in scrapbooks or small pieces of paper on athletes prior to 1960. I think they look just fine. What's funny is that these might be frowned upon, yet people will get baseballs and index cards signed with sharpies and have no problem with it, and in ten years those autographs will look wretched.
Old 03-21-2013, 08:49 PM

Here's one:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (53.0 KB, 154 views)

Old 03-22-2013, 09:32 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowderedH2O View Post
I've got quite a few signatures in pencil in my Olympic collection. This is especially true when dealing with signatures in scrapbooks or small pieces of paper on athletes prior to 1960. I think they look just fine. What's funny is that these might be frowned upon, yet people will get baseballs and index cards signed with sharpies and have no problem with it, and in ten years those autographs will look wretched.
If you believe that, then you should always carry a pencil with you when you are paying for your favorite players' autograph.

But for really old autographs you are usually getting what you see. That pencilled Lou Gehrig looks fantastic - especially compared to some of the crappy faded pen ones we see - but if I had my choice between pencil and ink, conditions being the same, I'm taking ink (except green ink on a non-Cobb).

That's just me, but I understand how some prefer pencil.
Old 03-22-2013, 11:35 AM
Craig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
If you believe that, then you should always carry a pencil with you when you are paying for your favorite players' autograph.

But for really old autographs you are usually getting what you see. That pencilled Lou Gehrig looks fantastic - especially compared to some of the crappy faded pen ones we see - but if I had my choice between pencil and ink, conditions being the same, I'm taking ink (except green ink on a non-Cobb).

I actually like both but was wondering if PSA or Spence will authenticate a pencil signature?
Old 03-22-2013, 12:14 PM
James Graham
James Gra.ham

I just picked this up in the BST section...a beautiful Mickey Cochrane signed in pencil. It's not only a beautiful piece, but it will never fade.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cochrane.jpg (70.0 KB, 115 views)
"What I have done after my baseball career -- being able to help people with their lives and getting their lives back on track so they become productive human beings again -- that means more to me than all the things I did in baseball" - Don Newcombe

https://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/jgmp123

Last edited by jgmp123; 03-22-2013 at 12:15 PM.
Old 03-22-2013, 12:29 PM
Sam Lemoine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post

I actually love ball point signatures. But, if I had a choice between a sharpie or a pencil on a paper item (not glossy, or a photo) I would prefer the pencil. And oddly enough, I usually do have a pencil handy.
Old 03-22-2013, 02:00 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowderedH2O View Post
I actually love ball point signatures. But, if I had a choice between a sharpie or a pencil on a paper item (not glossy, or a photo) I would prefer the pencil. And oddly enough, I usually do have a pencil handy.
I don't collect anything from the 'Sharpie' error....I mean 'era'.

Also, I would imagine pencils don't work so well on today's glossy items.
Old 03-23-2013, 04:21 PM
Kevin O'Gara

This is my jackie robinson from a 47 leather auto book which people carried around the ballpark. Beautiful bold pencil auto.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010035.jpg (45.5 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg P1010036.JPG (62.8 KB, 72 views)