NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-09-2010, 07:39 AM
Ted Zanidakis

Default ALERT....huge, huge BB card collection theft....UPDATED

A long-time friend of mine (and perhaps some of you) arrived home this week to find his house broken into. The better part
of his BB card collection was stolen. It includes vintage BB & post-war cards that he has collected over the past 40 years.

I'm posting this here to alert everyone, in hopes that this collection might be recovered. Here are the highlights of it........

100+ Old Judge's

521-card T206 set....includes Plank (70 cards are Graded)....in Ex (or better) condition

T201, T202, T205 and T207 sets

1920's Strip (W-type) cards......these, and all above T-cards are in the small size top-loader plastics.

1933-36 Goudey sets in Near Mint condition

1951-1970's Topps sets, including a Near Mint, near complete 1952 Topps set Master set (the Mantle has a minute pinhole).

Most HOFer's and Rookie cards from 1951 - 1970's (in Near Mint condition)

All Mantle cards from 1951 - 1969.

I will try to include more specifics of this collection as they are relayed to me. Please be on the look-out for such a large (or
parts of this) collection.

Any help in recovering this collection will be greatly appreciated.

TED Z

Last edited by tedzan; 04-13-2010 at 07:11 AM.
Old 04-09-2010, 07:44 AM
pete ullman

Oh how terrible...what part of the country, Ted?
Old 04-09-2010, 07:44 AM

Oh man! What part of the country? I hope he has a written list of cert numbers to make tracking the possible sales of these stolen cards easier! This is a big bummer.
Old 04-09-2010, 07:47 AM
MikeHealer

Hi Ted
What city or state did the theft occur?
Old 04-09-2010, 07:58 AM
T0NY @

This just makes me sick to my stomach to hear!!!!
Old 04-09-2010, 08:00 AM
Barry Sloate

Any theft is a terrible violation, but the size and scope of this is monumental. What a horror.
Old 04-09-2010, 08:00 AM
Matt Wieder

Unfortunate news.

Posting scans of some of the key cards will provide us the best opportunity to help with recovery. Otherwise, we wouldn't have much way to know if a card we're looking at was stolen from him or not.
Old 04-09-2010, 08:02 AM
Ron Rice

Default Theft

Ouch! Terrible news.

I'd recommend he put together some identifying characteristics of certain cards or sets. As a group, this board can be on the lookout for them when they eventually are resold.

Ron R
Old 04-09-2010, 08:10 AM
Ted Zanidakis

Default ALERT....huge, huge BB card collection theft

" What city or state did the theft occur? "

Upstate New York....and, the house was "protected" with a well-known Alarm system (which was disabled by the thieves).
Old 04-09-2010, 08:20 AM
Dave

That's just awful news. Hopefully whoever took the collection tries to flip it quick. A collection like this doesn't just show up somewhere un-noticed.
Old 04-09-2010, 08:31 AM
Chris

Default Yikes

Hopefully, this bum tries to sell them and gets busted! I hope (and have to assume) his collection was insured?

If graded, any serial #'s would be good to keep an eye out for.
Old 04-09-2010, 08:33 AM
Ted Zanidakis

That's exactly my thinking and that's why I posted it today. Also, I will be contacting the major Auction houses to alert
them of this collection.

TED Z
Old 04-09-2010, 08:36 AM
Jason

Default has to be heart-breaking...

and a terrible violation of personal space...hopefully he has details on the slabs and cards that can be shared, and hopefully the thieves try to dump the whole thing quickly and raise eyebrows in the process

That is quite a significant collection...I really hope that this collector was not also relying on this for any retirement/financial security.

Hoping for a quick return...
Old 04-09-2010, 08:37 AM
Bill

Unreal this crap make me sick. As for the "well known' alarm company if it was the one that advertises all then time and changed names, I know those 24 hour monitoring is a HUGE JOKE. When I was in law enforcement most of the time the neighbors called about the alarm an hour or so before the company ....Best advice there is just buy one of those signs at that is about what you are paying for anyway.

I hope these cards are recovered and I'll buy the rope for the scum that stole them.

Life Member of Disabled American Veterans Chapter 7 Little Rock, Arkansas.
Old 04-09-2010, 08:37 AM
Ted Zanidakis

Other than the 70 cards (T206's) that I have noted, the 1000's of other cards are ungraded.

There are certain identifying marks on some of the major cards that may help in identifying this collection.

TED Z
Old 04-09-2010, 08:39 AM
Dave
Da.ve Kra.bal

Wow, that's such bad news to hear. I would think that some of the cards stolen would be hard to resell. Your friend might want to contact card dealers and stores in his vacinity also. there are also probably small auctioneers in the area...I would not leave any stone unturned, so to speak. You've got to think the thief will either sell them himself or sell them to someone else who in turn will sell them.
Old 04-09-2010, 08:51 AM
Jon Canfield

Hopefully a group on the ungraded will show up with some of the more identifiable cards (for example, the Plank).
Old 04-09-2010, 08:54 AM

The alarm/monitoring thing is a bit of a joke. As mentioned above you
are primarily paying for the sign which scares off most.
For awhile I decided to stop paying for the service but left the sign up
and I'd get hassled all the time about having the sign without the
service. A dog and the sound of an alarm is more effective. That and
neighbors that look out for each other.
Old 04-09-2010, 09:05 AM

Ted,

Please contact us at Huggins & Scott with the details and what to look out for. Our thoughts and best wishes to your friend.

James
Old 04-09-2010, 09:06 AM
Paul

If the house was actually protected by an alarm that was disabled by thieves, then it is virtually certain that the victim knew the thieves to some capacity and may very well be an inside job.

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206
Old 04-09-2010, 09:08 AM

"That and
neighbors that look out for each other. "

This is HUGE! I have a cop on my immediate left, and another cop 3 houses down on my right. In fact, my neighborhood is so heavily populated with city workers that I would wager there are at least another couple Chicago cops on my block that im not even aware of! Needless to say, there arent many break-ins in my neighborhood. Just not worth it to any would be thieves!
Old 04-09-2010, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T206Collector View Post
If the house was actually protected by an alarm that was disabled by thieves, then it is virtually certain that the victim knew the thieves to some capacity and may very well be an inside job.

I hope you understand the definition of "inside job" before you go speculating. That implies that the owner had the theft staged to profit from an insurance claim. Thats a mighty big accusation to be spewing online! While I dont doubt that the thief somehow knew the owner, its simply not fair to suggest the owner was in on it!
Old 04-09-2010, 09:26 AM
Dan McCarthy

I don't think there was any implication that the theft was staged....

At any rate, I hope we find the cards soon and I'll keep my eyes open!
Old 04-09-2010, 09:36 AM
Johnny S

It had to be someone that knew the cards were there especially if nothing else was stolen. They will definitely be trying to sell,the question is where and when. A 40 year collection is a lifetimes work I hope the thieves get caught and card's returned. They also must have known he was gone for a few days and made the heist.
Old 04-09-2010, 09:46 AM
JB

Default .............

Most common thieves would have no idea about baseball cards........the magnitude of what was taken is also alarming to me. It is an awful situation, i hope their is a better resolution.

Successful transactions with: HRBAKER, CHADDURBIN,DRDDUET,DOUBLEP,T213, RM444, MJSILVEY80, CHARLIETHEEXTERMINATOR,QUINNSRYCHE,PROFHOLT82,EJST EL,OHIOCARDCOLLECTOR
Old 04-09-2010, 09:55 AM
Ted Zanidakis

Originally Posted by T206Collector......
" If the house was actually protected by an alarm that was disabled by thieves, then it is virtually certain that the victim knew the
thieves to some capacity and may very well be an inside job. "

T206Collector you better clarify what you are alluding to...."inside job" ?

Paul....I will give you the benefit of the doubt, that you didn't mean what these words of your's imply; but, I expect a explanation ! ?

And, spare us your lawyer diatribe.

Incidently, there was NO insurance coverage on this collection.

TED Z
Old 04-09-2010, 10:04 AM
John Startleman

That is WAY too much time and money to not have some kind of insurance. As some have said, common thieves normally don't know much about cards and would probably walk right by them. I'm speculating that this has to be someone he knows or associates with or a friend of a friend type situation. I would check in with all pawn shops, card shops and auction houses in the area. Get more details about the cards out there and post them here and on all the other big trading card forums. I would post this on FCB, PSA, Beckett, SCF, SGC and other forums. The more eyes you have looking for clues the better your chances of finding the culprit/culprits. I wish your friend luck in finding and prosecuting this/these scum.

Last edited by sportscardtheory; 04-09-2010 at 10:05 AM.
Old 04-09-2010, 10:11 AM
Eric Bea.chley

Can some scans of the key cards be provided? There are enough details on each card to permanently identify them. Print marks, staining, rounded corners, chips, etc.
Old 04-09-2010, 10:18 AM
D@vid Mor1@rty

Not sure where in upstate the collection was taken from, but there is a card show coming up in Syracuse in the 18th. Perhaps you or your friend might want to contact the promoters of the show to get the word out. Here is their website.

http://www.cnypromotions.com
Old 04-09-2010, 10:23 AM
Tom
T0m Rus.so

Burglars usually want to get in and out in a few minutes and will be after cash, jewelry, electronics. The authorities probably can tell whether the crooks targeted this collection or just stumbled upon it. If the collection was targeted, anyone who knew of it could be involved, friends, relatives, neighbors, dealers, collectors, repair men, meter readers, etc. Most crooks are not very smart. The cards may start showing up on ebay, craigslist, at shows, or antique shops. Thinking of where there are a number of small dealers in relative proximity, I would alert the Cooperstown Chamber of Commerce as well.
Old 04-09-2010, 10:34 AM
Paul

Default Inside Job

Definition of "Inside Job" from the on-line dictionary:

n. Slang
A crime perpetrated by, or with the help of, a person working for or trusted by the victim.

I was insinuating nothing more than the definition implies. Someone with knowledge of the collection, property and security system was likely involved if a genuine alarm system was disabled to advance the theft. While an inside job may include insurance fraud, I was of course not challenging the veracity of the victim.

Chicago are you down to now 1 pre-war card that you still own?

@SignedT206
Old 04-09-2010, 10:35 AM
Paul

"And, spare us your lawyer diatribe?"

What the hell does that mean?

@SignedT206
Old 04-09-2010, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Definition of "Inside Job" from the on-line dictionary:

n. Slang
A crime perpetrated by, or with the help of, a person working for or trusted by the victim.

I was insinuating nothing more than the definition implies. Someone with knowledge of the collection, property and security system was likely involved if a genuine alarm system was disabled to advance the theft. While an inside job may include insurance fraud, I was of course not challenging the veracity of the victim.

Chicago are you down to now 1 pre-war card that you still own?

Thanks for the clarification....as far as cards I own, is there a requirement that states you must own a pre war card to participate in this forum? I guess I missed that caveat.
Old 04-09-2010, 10:44 AM
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago206 View Post
Thanks for the clarification....as far as cards I own, is there a requirement that states you must own a pre war card to participate in this forum? I guess I missed that caveat.
Just following up on your B/S/T thread where you stated "I have decided to part ways with both forums as well as with my collection," and note that only the Drum is left.

Just trying to figure out why you're still here. I mean, basically you said we're such a bunch of a$$holes that you decided to liquidate your collection and leave the forum. It would be TOTALLY INSANE for your to liquidate your collection for this reason and also stay on the forum.

@SignedT206
Old 04-09-2010, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Just following up on your B/S/T thread where you stated "I have decided to part ways with both forums as well as with my collection," and note that only the Drum is left.

Just trying to figure out why you're still here. I mean, basically you said we're such a bunch of a$$holes that you decided to liquidate your collection and leave the forum. It would be TOTALLY INSANE for your to liquidate your collection for this reason and also stay on the forum.

What makes you certain that the cards I listed on the BST were the only ones I own(ed)? I may have another group of 8-10 that I may list after the Drum sells (or I decide to keep just that 1 card). Although my departure from this forum is inevitable, I do not have a specific timeline set. So why dont we try to keep our exchanges a bit more civil for the time being?
Old 04-09-2010, 10:48 AM

Ted,

If you have scans, that would help people identify the cards when they see them.
Old 04-09-2010, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by t206wagner View Post
Not sure where in upstate the collection was taken from, but there is a card show coming up in Syracuse in the 18th. Perhaps you or your friend might want to contact the promoters of the show to get the word out. Here is their website.

http://www.cnypromotions.com
There is also a small show here in Buffalo on Sunday. I would be happy to hand out flyers to the dealers there if I could get some details/who to contact, etc. also. Unfortunately the term "upstate" seems to apply to any part of NY that is not NYC, so that is a wide area!
Bob
Old 04-09-2010, 10:53 AM
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago206 View Post
What makes you certain that the cards I listed on the BST were the only ones I own(ed)? I may have another group of 8-10 that I may list after the Drum sells (or I decide to keep just that 1 card). Although my departure from this forum is inevitable, I do not have a specific timeline set. So why dont we try to keep our exchanges a bit more civil for the time being?
I'm happy to keep it civil and did not start with accusations on this thread. In any event, it is very difficult to have reasonable conversations with people on Net54 when they say things like "my departure from this forum is inevitable." You are going to have a hard time being taken seriously.

We're not a total bunch of dikkheds here. I'd be happy to chat cards with you even if you only had a Drum -- that's 1 more Drum than me and most T206 collectors. It is the inconsistency of your positions that makes it hard to have a continued dialogue with you and that is what makes Net54 most fulfilling.

@SignedT206
Old 04-09-2010, 10:56 AM

Ted,

I wish your friend the best. It's because of these type of events, I keep my cards in the bank.
Old 04-09-2010, 11:12 AM
Tom
T0m Rus.so

I've never used a safe deposit box but must admit it makes sense. A check from the insurance company is some consolation but would not make up for the time and work it takes to put together such a collection. Sorry to hear that your friend was not insured,
Old 04-09-2010, 11:19 AM
David McDonald

Default Hang the Thieves

Sorry to hear about your loss.

Hope you the cards back soon.

Have the police fingerprinted the area where the cards
were? With a little bit of luck they can identify the
thieves.

It would not be bad if they were caught, and they got
in the wrong line of fire, or if you decided to use
their heads as a batting practice.

Here is hoping.....
Old 04-09-2010, 11:25 AM
Barry Arnold

Default theft

Ted,
i am so sorry to hear of this horrific situation.
as you can well see, your many friends are now ready to help in whatever ways we can.

all the best,
barry
Old 04-09-2010, 11:28 AM
Kyle B@rni@k

Default Sorry

Sorry to hear of this incident-I will alert the local Northern New Jersey estate auction houses as well as be on the lookout at our auction service in NW NJ......
Old 04-09-2010, 11:41 AM
Jim Parker

Ted, sorry to hear about this too. I will be at the Syracuse show next week and will keep an eye out for anything this significant.
Peace,
Jim
Old 04-09-2010, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawika View Post
Sorry to hear about your loss.

Hope you the cards back soon.

Have the police fingerprinted the area where the cards
were? With a little bit of luck they can identify the
thieves.

It would not be bad if they were caught, and they got
in the wrong line of fire, or if you decided to use
their heads as a batting practice.

Here is hoping.....
David- it is shocking to most people how little investigation and forensic techniques are actually employed by police in cases like these. Maybe we watch too much CSI but I have seen too many criminal cases in which the police weren't exactly enthused about tracking down perps by doing more than filing a report and talking to a few neighbors. Unless the cards show up in a pawn shop (unlikely) or an on-line auction or one of their accomplices or friends rolls on them because of their own legal troubles, the cards will probably not be found.
Old 04-09-2010, 11:55 AM
Gr.eg Per.ry

If you post some scans of these cards we will all definitely be on the lookout.

This is why my cards are kept in a Ft. Knox safe. Theft, fire, etc., every valuable collection should be kept in a serious safe.

Old 04-09-2010, 01:07 PM
Daryl

The loss of 40 years worth of collecting is horrible; I can't begin to imagine. I pray for swift justice and the cards to be returned quickly.
Old 04-09-2010, 01:21 PM
Clayton

I am sorry to hear of this TedZ,the whole situation sucks.I really hope by some stroke of luck that your friend gets his lifelong collection back.I'm all the way across the country,but will talk to a couple of the guys that run local card shops here,and let them know about the situation,and to keep a look out-you never know,stranger things have happened..........

Sincerely,Clayton
Old 04-09-2010, 01:28 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

With all due respect to the people here who feel that alarm services are a joke, blanket advice to drop it or not bother is very, very bad advice. Alarm services actually have one very, very important use: they are mandatory for coverages in many insurance policies. If you insure your collection it is very likely that you are contractually required to have an active, centrally-monitored alarm at the location were the cards are stored (except if they are in a safe deposit box). If you do not comply with a policy condition your claim can be denied or greatly reduced. The same is true of certain homeowners policies. Before dropping service, I strongly recommend that you check your insurance to see if you are required to have a centrally monitored alarm system as a condition of coverage.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 04-09-2010 at 01:28 PM.
Old 04-09-2010, 01:49 PM
Mark

Here's an idea (always a risky intro) - at the top of the net54 window we have a series of icons for BST - Memorabilia Forum - Postwar Cards - etc.

Why not have an icon for reports on stolen collections. Scans (if available) could be posted there. Some of these items might not surface for a long time, and scans posted on this current thread will be buried after a while.

If we have a separate "forum" for this - since this fortunately doesn't happen too often, it would be easier to keep the stolen items fresh in mind over time.