NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you give an opinion of a person or company your full name needs to be in your post. Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
Old Cardboard

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main PreWWII Forums > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 12-01-2009, 09:30 AM
Dan Bretta

Joann, I sent you an email.
Old 12-01-2009, 02:43 PM

Default 1860 Lady Baseballer Ambrotype

Hi Deb,

To my knowledge, this is the earliest woman baseball image known. It is an ambrotype of an anonymous woman in a fancy dress holding a bat and ball from circa 1860.

I no longer own this image but I could get in touch with the new owner for you if desired.

Regards

Jason
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1860c Lady Baseball Ambrotype CloseupSM.jpg (51.9 KB, 173 views)
File Type: jpg 1860c Lady Baseball AmbrotypeSM.jpg (71.8 KB, 173 views)
Old 02-19-2011, 09:04 AM
Deb Shattuck

Default The Methodist/Episcopal church team

I sure wish I understood how this forum works! Would you believe I just now found this response you made to my thread back in Nov 09? Is there some sort of setting I need to make so that I get e-mail advisories when people post to a thread I've started? I do get notices when people respond to responses I've made to other threads or to private messages but I didn't know anyone had responded to my thread. Also, I don't understand how to "subscribe" to threads. Can you explain that?

The photos you sent of the Methodist/Episcopal church team are wonderful! I expect I will use one of them because it represents another type of team I hadn't even considered previously--church teams. Can you tell me anything about the photos? Where did you get them? Are there any names associated with them?

Deb Shattuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidekellyslide View Post
Hi Deb, I have a few that you are welcome to use if you want them.

A Methodist/Episcopal church team from Niobrara, Nebraska in 1909.

Old 02-19-2011, 09:09 AM
Deb Shattuck

Default Police Gazette illustration

Sorry for my late delay in responding to this post, Doug. I still haven't gotten the hang of how to find responses to my posts. Great image of the female baseball players in the N.P.G. I hadn't seen it before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug.goodman View Post
Here's the cover of the July 1, 1899 issue...
Old 02-19-2011, 09:36 AM

Rare pre-bloomer 1870s tintype of a female player for the "LABBC". When you zoom in, you can see she is holding what appears to be an acorn or ball-knob bat and an early "belt-style" ball...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg woman.jpg (68.4 KB, 118 views)
Old 02-19-2011, 12:10 PM
Kevin O'Gara

Default original broadside

original young ladies baseball club broadside . trying to find photo for this piece. there is one on ebay for 4500.00 dollars. this is from a pennsylvania collection and that is where they traveled through alot. you can use this piece if you would like.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010001_1.jpg (78.9 KB, 112 views)
File Type: jpg P1010002_1.jpg (73.2 KB, 112 views)
File Type: jpg P1010003_1.jpg (74.0 KB, 112 views)
Old 02-19-2011, 12:45 PM
Dan Bretta

Deb, I picked up the Methodist team postcards at a local auction years ago...I've since sold them, but I'm pretty sure I remember who I sold them to...they did have names written on the back of one of the cards. If you'd like I can contact the new owner to see if he still has them.
Old 02-19-2011, 10:22 PM
Deb Shattuck

That would be great if it's not too much trouble. Getting the names might allow me to find out something about the players from census information or city directories. Sometimes I'm even able to track down living relatives of the players. I found the grandniece of Myrtle Rowe, the grandnephew of Alta Wiess and the grandnieces and grandnepher of Ruth Egan. Player names are a big help in my research.
Old 02-19-2011, 10:23 PM
Deb Shattuck

Awesome image! Does it happen to say anything on the back or have a date on it?
Old 02-20-2011, 05:49 AM
Kevin O'Gara

http://images.ha.com/lf?source=url[file:images/inetpub/newnames/300/3/1/7/317136.jpg],continueonerror[true]&source=url[file:images/inetpub/webuse/no_image_available.gif],if[('global.source.error')]&sink=preservemd[true] this is the poster broadside also from 1890 that sold at auction from Doylestown, Pa.

Last edited by khkco4bls; 02-20-2011 at 07:23 AM. Reason: delete thread