NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-21-2009, 12:23 PM
TT40391

Default 1909-1913 Spalding Official Baseball Record scans needed

Hello, after searching the baseball hall of fame website and the library of congress website to see if they had copies of the Spalding Official Baseball record from 1909-1913 I am at a loss. They do not have the them from that year and I really need some scans or photocopies of the records for the blue grass league that were published in those for a paper/book project I am working on. If anyone has those guides or Knows a library that has them please let me know. As always thanks for all your help here on the board.

Tony
Old 09-21-2009, 04:05 PM
Frank Wakefield

Tony,

I thought I'd already emailed you a bunch of that.

And I think I have a spare 1909 Record without cover...

So please check to see if I didn't send you some of what you just asked for.
fwakefield1@comcast.net
Old 09-21-2009, 04:46 PM
Rhett Yeakley

Seeing as though you seem to be doing some research on the Blue Grass League, I figure I'd show a cabinet I recently aquired. I'm not sure if you can provide any info on the people on here but it appears to be a 1910-11 Maysville Team Cabinet. One of the players has an "S" on his hat, which would also coincide with the fact that in 1910 the team was in both Shelbyville & Maysville. I haven't had too much time to research the piece but if you can provide some more info on it I would totally appreciate it. Also, should you want to use the photo in your book?/research you are totally free to do so. Since it is Maysville--anybody see a young Casey Stengel in here anywhere (perhaps the guy w/ black under his eyes)--it may be a stretch but I gotta ask?

Thanks in advance for any help you may be able to provide...

Scans (there are some obvious condition issues but stillvery clear player images):

Whole photo:

Player w/ "S" on hat (bottom rh corner):

ebay store: kryvintage-->https://www.ebay.com/sch/kryvintage/...p2047675.l2562

Last edited by rhettyeakley; 09-21-2009 at 04:48 PM.
Old 09-21-2009, 04:49 PM
Rhett Yeakley

Here is a close-up of the whole team (sorry if the photo is too big)

ebay store: kryvintage-->https://www.ebay.com/sch/kryvintage/...p2047675.l2562
Old 09-21-2009, 06:13 PM
TT40391

Default Thanks for the info

Frank, You sent me the info for the Spalding Official Baseball Guide, but Spalding also published the Official Baseball Record, that had nothing but statistics for each league listed in it. I have seen one once, and it has alot more stats than in the Official Baseball Guide that had the photos and the little league write up etc. I will check the scans you sent me again however, I may have missed something.
Old 09-21-2009, 06:16 PM
TT40391

Default The photo

As for the photo, I beleive that may just be misten Stengel hanging out in the far upper left corner standing in that photo. Now that I look at it closer it may just be him. I also sent you to emails on the subject of the photo and I will send more info in the coming weeks on it.

Tony
Old 09-21-2009, 08:13 PM
Frank Wakefield

My recollection is that I sent you some stuff...

You posted here instead of emailing me, I know that, too...

Here's a scan of the only page of records for the Blue Grass League in the 1909 Spalding Record, this is from my extra, coverless copy that I need to sell.

Old 09-21-2009, 08:23 PM
Frank Wakefield

The 3 pages from the 1910 Spalding Record...

Old 09-21-2009, 08:27 PM
Frank Wakefield

Hey there, Rhett, 3 things...

1- I think that is a fantastic photo or cabinet, I'd love to have it.

2- I do not think Casey Stengel is depicted among those players. I am not certain of that, and I plan to study that when time allows.

3- I also don't think that's the 1910 team. I see the "S" on that hat. And I don't see a circle around the M on the sleeve. I'm not certain it isn't 1910, and I do think it is close to 1910... I'll cogitate on that, and opine later.
Old 09-21-2009, 08:35 PM
Frank Wakefield

1911 Spalding Record Blue Grass League pages....

Old 09-21-2009, 08:43 PM
Frank Wakefield

And 1912...

Old 09-21-2009, 08:47 PM
Frank Wakefield

And a reminder...

The 1909 Record had stats for the 1908 season,

The 1910 Record had stats for the 1909 season,

The 1911 Record had stats for the 1910 season,

And that 1912 Record had stats for the 1911 season.

For non-believers, look at the first page of the BL stats in the 1912 Record, and it shows the Champions for previous years. Winchester won in 1909. The 1910 Record shows Winchester finishing in first. The 1909 Record shows Frankfort in first (they won in 1908).
Old 09-21-2009, 08:52 PM
Frank Wakefield

Casey Stengel's stats are in the middle of the second page shown on the 1911 Record, page 256. Casey hit .223, his line is about in the middle of the page.

In looking at microfilm of old papers from 1909 and 1910, tickets for the Lexington Colts were 50 cents. That seems like quite a bit of money just to see a ball game back in 1910. I gotta figure a fellow could get into the bleachers in a major league game for 25 cents, but I don't know...
Old 09-23-2009, 09:20 PM
Frank Wakefield

About Rhett's cabinet...

Below are the cards depicting Shelbyville or Maysville players from series 6. The eleven are: Delbert Chase, Dailey, Everden, Al Gisler, George Kircher, William Oyler, Lesle Ross, John Schultz, Casey Stengel, Charles Vallandingham and Louis Womble.

This team commenced the 1910 season in Shelbyville. The 1911 Spalding Guide says that " Shelbyville, predestined to the basement, did her duty nobly. The Shelbyville team became so disorganized late in August that the franchise and players were turned over to the league; Maysville, a prosperous manufacturing city, bought the franchise and completed the season with four or five regular players and numerous experiments."

George Kricher, Charles Vallandingham, and Louis Womble, the three players near the right below, are depicted in their Shelbyville uniforms. They are the only three players in the Old Mill red border set shown with a Shelbyville caption.

The other 8 are shown with a Maysville uniform. Each of these 8 Maysville players show the letter "M" within a circle. The players in that cabinet that show an "M" show one without any circle. The circle M uniforms must have been from the first year this team was in Maysville, the only year Casey Stengel was there... for the rest of August and then in September of 1910. I'll eventually check box scores for that time frame one day. I don't think that is a cabinet that depicts the 1910 Maysville team.

More in a few days.
Old 09-24-2009, 06:00 AM
TT40391

Default Thanks for the info

Thank you so much for the information Frank, those are some great card images, and your spaliding images are vital to paper research I am doing. Can't wait to see your additional posts.

Tony