NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-27-2009, 06:02 PM
Matt Wieder

Default Next Phase of eBay Changes.

Some notables:

1) To ensure PowerSeller status rewards consistently good service, a minimum of 100 transactions in the last 12 months will be required for all PowerSellers.

2) Optional buyer charges for shipping insurance removed: The insurance option creates the perception that buyers need to purchase shipping insurance as a protection on eBay, an experience they're not accustomed to on other ecommerce sites. In fact, sellers have always been responsible for their items until they arrive safely in their customers' hands. That's why shipping insurance will no longer be included in the purchase flow as either an option or requirement for buyers.

3) The current 4.3 minimum average DSR requirements will be replaced with new requirements based on a seller's incidence of low DSRs (1s and 2s) on transactions with U.S. buyers: In April 2010, the standards will be stricter. All eBay sellers will need to have low DSRs (1s or 2s) on no more than 1.00% of transactions for item as described, and no more than 2.00% for communication, 2.00% for shipping time, and 2.00% for shipping and handling charges.
Old 07-27-2009, 06:07 PM
qualitycards

Quote:
All eBay sellers will need to have low DSRs (1s or 2s) on no more than 1.00% of transactions for item as described, and no more than 2.00% for communication, 2.00% for shipping time, and 2.00% for shipping and handling charges
Say a seller does his auctions the right way and a couple of guys as a goof gives the seller 1's & 2's across the board
even though they got what he paid for and rec'd it secured & in a timely fashion.
With that said, the seller has now been booted off

Last edited by Jay Wolt; 07-27-2009 at 06:07 PM.
Old 07-27-2009, 06:16 PM
Matt Wieder

Jay - the list of changes was pretty extensive - they actually included the following clause to address that:
"To ensure lower volume sellers are not penalized as a result of one or two transactions, it will take at least four instances of 1s or 2s before consequences based on low DSRs are enforced."

The 100 transaction requirement is a killer for me, and I imagine most others who just dabble on eBay but don't make a full time job out of it.

Full text of the changes here:
http://pages.ebay.com/sell/July2009U...ils/index.html

Last edited by Matt; 07-27-2009 at 06:21 PM.
Old 07-27-2009, 06:44 PM
Steve Murray

The 100 transactions is for "PowerSeller" status.

I could care less.
Old 07-27-2009, 07:09 PM
Matt Wieder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacklitsch View Post
The 100 transactions is for "PowerSeller" status.

I could care less.
If powerseller status didn't afford you all the benefits it does, I'd agree, but already powersellers get increased visibility in search results and I believe some of the changes make the class difference even greater.
Old 07-27-2009, 07:48 PM
Mark Kirk

Default OT: A coin dealers perspective

X

Last edited by Minerscoin; 07-28-2009 at 12:03 PM.
Old 07-27-2009, 07:56 PM
Steven Finley

At least the the little time ticker rolls down without refreshing now. That was all I ever asked for.
Old 07-27-2009, 08:18 PM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Some notables:

2) Optional buyer charges for shipping insurance removed: The insurance option creates the perception that buyers need to purchase shipping insurance as a protection on eBay, an experience they're not accustomed to on other ecommerce sites. In fact, sellers have always been responsible for their items until they arrive safely in their customers' hands. That's why shipping insurance will no longer be included in the purchase flow as either an option or requirement for buyers.

Interesting! I guess we'll have to let all the auction houses know that we will no longer be paying for insurance to have our packages shipped safely to us anymore...............you know, since buyers aren't accustomed to paying for it.

Just another cost we have to eat I guess.
Old 07-27-2009, 11:33 PM

If they allow for insurance to be part of the overall shipping charge, it's okay. This may only be about marketing rhetoric, creating the correct appearances for customers. In other words, they may be saying it's fine to include an insurance charge, just don't make a song and dance or multiple choice text out of it.

Last edited by drc; 07-28-2009 at 12:52 AM.
Old 07-28-2009, 07:58 AM
Chris / prewarprints.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbfinley View Post
At least the the little time ticker rolls down without refreshing now. That was all I ever asked for.
Best enhancement they've made in recent memory.
Old 07-28-2009, 09:00 AM
marty

YES, the countdown was a much needed addition...
love it!
Old 07-28-2009, 09:44 AM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by drc View Post
If they allow for insurance to be part of the overall shipping charge, it's okay. This may only be about marketing rhetoric, creating the correct appearances for customers. In other words, they may be saying it's fine to include an insurance charge, just don't make a song and dance or multiple choice text out of it.

That's fine with a flat rate "Buy It Now".

What about auctions? The Insurance rates are different based on the final values.

Giving options to customers seems more customer friendly to me then NOT giving options.

Now customers will be unable to see the reasons for an elevated shipping cost which will lead to more conflict between buyers and sellers and more reason to ding DSR ratings.

If you are up front about shipping costs and can show the reason for them customers will be happy and will bid accordingly. Now they want us to roll it all into one cost and not be able to break down the reason for the shipping charge.

This does not make any sense to me.

Is Ebay pissed because they aren't getting a portion of the Insurance charges? Something else they want us to wrap in the cost and sell at flat rate prices instead of auction prices?
Old 07-28-2009, 09:54 AM
Chris / prewarprints.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Bergin View Post
What about auctions? The Insurance rates are different based on the final values.

Giving options to customers seems more customer friendly to me then NOT giving options.
I absolutely agree. It doesn't make any sense.

One more way they're trying to move from the auction style setup to fixed price sales, I guess.
Old 07-28-2009, 10:17 AM
Doug C.

100 transactions is quite a bit. I think that's why they took my powerseller status away. I used to only sell a few higher dollar cards a year, but it kept my average sales high enough to qualify. Now there's no chance I'll qualify for it if that's the case. Not that it matters since I'm out of cards to sell.
Old 07-28-2009, 11:20 AM
I. "Iggy" G0nz@lez
"rich"

A few nuggets that stood out for me regarding eBay's latest annoucement....

Paying for shipping insurance raises my costs. What can I do?
If appropriate, you can move the cost of shipping insurance into your
handling charges or item price.

Does offering free shipping help my position in search?Yes. Fixed Price listings with free shipping will receive added exposure. As always, keeping costs reasonable continues to be a best practice. Both Auction-style and Fixed Price listings with excessive shipping will be demoted in search.

What is the new eBay Resolution process?
We are introducing a new dispute resolution process for when buyers claim their item was not received or the item they received was not as described in the listing. This new on-eBay Resolution process will be the primary avenue for settling eBay transactions and is designed to:
Help buyers and sellers resolve disputes in fewer steps, and provide buyers with a more familiar ecommerce resolution experience.
Offer an option to call eBay in the event buyers and sellers can't reach resolution themselves. We'll be taking a more active role in ensuring transaction problems are resolved and, in certain cases when we determine the seller was not at fault, we may refund the buyer at our own expense.
Keep most of the same definitions and policies that PayPal uses to resolve item not received and item not as described disputes
Under the new system, you can contest buyer claims in the same way as the current PayPal process—for example, by providing delivery confirmation in the event of an item not received claim.

Listings cannot include comments that undermine confidence in the marketplace, such as comments expressing negativity toward buyers or the selling process. Can you provide some examples of unprofessional language and tone? Here are a few examples unprofessional language and tone:

"Due to bad buyers on eBay, you must contact me prior to bidding or your bid will be cancelled and you will be reported to eBay!!"

"I have had so many bad transactions with zero Feedback buyers. So, if you are new, don't bid!"

"I will leave negative Feedback for all non-paying bidders."

"I am forced to use PayPal."

What happens if the buyer does not pay for an item? If four days pass without payment after the case is opened, an unpaid item will be recorded on the buyer's account, the case will be closed and your Final Value Fee will be automatically refunded. At that time, the buyer won't be permitted to leave Feedback for that item.

Beginning in April 2010, there will be a new structure for PowerSeller Final Value Fee discounts: 20% for eBay Top-rated sellers and 5% for all other PowerSellers.

Lovely Day...
Old 07-28-2009, 11:28 AM
D.B. Cooper

You gotta respect Ebay's determination to grab the brass ring whenever it lands upon a fresh, new way to further alienate its clientele.

Last edited by Anthony S.; 07-28-2009 at 11:29 AM.
Old 07-28-2009, 12:18 PM
Barry Sloate

Obviously the powers that be at ebay have decided to change their business model. One can still auction items if he chooses, but there are so many strikes against the seller that it probably isn't even worth it anymore. I haven't sold in a while, but when I get back to it in September I may decide to abandon auctions and switch to retail. I guess nothing stays the same forever.