NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 06-15-2009, 01:21 AM

Default Anyone know about the Monarch Sporting Goods Company?

Does anyone know anything about the Monarch Sporting Goods Company of New York? Would like to learn a who what when where profile. Below a Monarch box for a dozen balls Bob McCann had for sale at the 2004 National.

Old 06-15-2009, 06:12 AM
Shawn England

Carlton,

Below is a link to what appears to be the same box that sold at the Hunt auction...

https://www.huntauctions.com/online/...=1067&lot_qual

Also, there are some ads in the Sporting Life for the "Monarch Sporting Goods MFG. Co." I am not sure if it is the same company though? Here is a pic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg monarch1.jpg (60.3 KB, 121 views)
Old 06-15-2009, 11:22 AM

Hey Shawn, Thanks. Do you know the issue date of the Sporting Life that ad is from?

That Hunt auction was from 1999.
https://www.huntauctions.com/online/...st_number=1100
It sounds like it's a pretty rare/scarce box from the Hunt catalog copy. "This is the first intact example that we've encountered and due to obvious fragility and age will most likely be the only copy we'll handle. Stunning: EX-MT "

When I stop and think about it, I don't recall any other baseball boxes that early. The condition is incredible for something that fragile. McCann's $2,500.00 price tag seems pretty reasonable based on the $1,675.00....I wonder who's collection it's sitting in today...a name comes to mind....

Old 06-15-2009, 12:29 PM

Carlton

I once found a small group of Monarch Hockey pucks in their original boxes in Maine about 15 years ago. You would see the pucks surface from time to time but they seem to have dried up. Other than the Pucks I have never seen anything else from the company.

Rhys
Old 06-15-2009, 10:10 PM
Jim

Carlton, I have a Monarch Sporting Goods Joe Medwick glove from the 1940's. It appears to be way later than the box though. This Monarch glove was clearly made by Denkert who operated out of Johnstown and Gloversville, NY.

Jim
www.baseballglovecollector.com
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Joe Medwick Monarch G54 Front.jpg (60.1 KB, 66 views)
Old 06-17-2009, 02:11 PM

Default Thanks

Thanks Rhys and Jim, I summarized all the info on this box and the Monarch Sporting Goods Comapny and used it as this week's Sports Antique of the Week on my site. -Carlton