NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 06-06-2009, 12:49 PM

Default Anyone know about the 1877 Delawares baseball team of Port Jervis N.Y.?

Hi all, Can anyone tell me any history of the 1877 Delawares baseball team from Port Jervis N.Y. ? I'm researching the 15 ¼ tall by 9 ¾ wide broadside below. You've probably seen this before as I had it on another post about broadsides. Barry Sloate, you've been summoned!
Thanks -Carlton

Last edited by CarltonHendricks; 06-06-2009 at 03:29 PM.
Old 06-06-2009, 01:13 PM
T!M R10rd@n

There is a reference to the Delawares beating Cornell in June 1877 here:

http://books.google.com/books?id=bqa...esult&resnum=3

Last edited by timzcardz; 06-06-2009 at 01:16 PM.
Old 06-06-2009, 01:52 PM
Barry Sloate

Carlton- I'll do a little research for you over the weekend, and see what I can come up with...if you promise to spell my name corrctly. It's Sloate.
Old 06-06-2009, 03:36 PM

Default sorry Barry

Gottcha Barry, sorry bout that. got it fixed, thanks for looking into it.

Old 06-06-2009, 11:50 PM

Default Mike King Kelly connection

timzcardz, Thanks a bunch for that link..from what that book says Mike "King" Kelly played for the Delawares in 1877 and it talks about when they played Cornell...Unless the Delawares played Cornell more than once in 1877 it's likely Kelly played catcher in the game my poster advertises....that's incredible to me. Especially since I've had that poster about 17 years and never knew it till now..thanks to you! And now that I'm looking into Kelly, he's pretty colorful....died at 36 years old.. timzcardz, you the man! -Carlton

Old 06-07-2009, 12:18 PM
T!M R10rd@n

You're certainly welcome.

I agree with you that from the write-up in the book that it appears to be the same game, as the book has it being the second game that he played with them on a rail trip immediatley after June 10th.

That is some great information to put beside the very interesting piece that you have.
Old 06-07-2009, 01:59 PM
Barry Sloate

Hi Carlton- went through a number of my books but haven't been successful finding anything.
Old 06-08-2009, 06:34 AM
Shawn England

Hi Carlton,

You have probably already seen this and I am not sure if it will even help, but thought I would post it. 1876
Attached Images
File Type: jpg delaware.jpg (62.5 KB, 73 views)
Old 06-08-2009, 06:51 AM
Shawn England

Here is an article...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg del1.jpg (82.5 KB, 74 views)
Old 06-09-2009, 11:55 AM

Default thanks all

timzcardz, Barrry, and Shawn, thanks for all your help. I used this poster for this week's Sports Antique of the Week on my site. Naturally I linked this thread in the short article.

Old 06-09-2009, 12:16 PM
Shawn England

Carlton,

I found this mention of playing for the Jervis Team in Mike Kellys book.

PLay Ball: Stories of the Diamond Field
By
Mike Kelly of the Boston Base-Ball Club

I have copied the paragraph below from the baseball chronology site. The mention is in the second paragraph, but I included the first because it gives the year 1877...

"The great games of that season were played with the Mutuals, of Brooklyn. The Mutuals were, perhaps, the strongest base ball organization in New York. Well, we met them, and played a series of games for the championship. First one club would win a game then the other. In the club were Bobby Matthews, who is at it yet, Hicks, Nelson, and old Joe Start. There was a ball player for you. I regarded Joe Start as the most reliable man I ever saw cover the first bag, next to Anson. He saw his palmy days with the Mutuals, and later with the Providence club, when it was in the league. Not only could Joe Start bat well, but he could save the players more errors when covering the first bag than any man in the business. The games we had with the Mutuals finished the season in grand shape. It began to get cold, and finally the winter came. Like Othello, the ball player was without an occupation. I resolved to learn a trade. In the winter of 1877 I went into a factory to learn the silk weaver's trade. I stuck at it until the opening of the ball season. I was a crank on the game, and couldn't leave it alone if I wanted to. So I went at it again.

At the opening of the ball season that year I played several games with the Port Jervis team. I didn't care very much for the place, and jumped at an offer to go to the Buckeye club, with Jim McCormick for my pitcher. We had a great nine that year, and it was the first time that I really thought that I could play ball. Dorgan and I led off the batters. In the first game I made a base hit, and was so tickled that I started to steal second. I was thrown out, and the gang gave me the laugh. I didn't think that I was such a great ball player after that. I might have made the bag, too, but I had more confidence than I should have had. I thought that I could make it easy, but I couldn't."

http://www.baseballchronology.com/Ba...By-King-Kelly/

hope this helps!
Old 06-10-2009, 10:57 AM

Default Thanks Shawn

Shawn, Very good digging...quite insightful Kelly only played a few games with the Delawares and apparently didn't like the geographical area or social environment...as he didn't say exactly what he didn't care for:
"At the opening of the ball season that year I played several games with the Port Jervis team. I didn't care very much for the place, and jumped at an offer to go to the Buckeye club, with Jim McCormick for my pitcher."

I got an interesting email from Bob Mayer of N.Y. state, who is quiet a baseball researcher. I learned the Delawares team existed by at least 1866. Quote from Bob's email below:
"The Delawares of Port Jervis were an opponent of a team I did some research on a few years ago. The team was already organized by 1866 and was the first team the Wallkills of Middletown played that year. PJ won the first game and the Wallkills won the second. In the early 1880's Fred Nyce who later played some in the Minors pitched for the Delawares"