NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-23-2009, 03:23 PM

Default How long has this been going on on eBay?

I admit I spend 99% of my eBay time in the prewar card section but recently I bought a nice 1955 Bowman baseball set and have been busy upgrading it to make it high grade. In searching the listings I noticed a lot of "generic" pictures of the cards and then in small letters the actual grade of the card being sold (with no scan). The pictures shown are very deceptive to the casual buyer, we on the 54 Board of course know better so we look at the fine print. The scans come from Beckett and many, many sellers use them, especially in the "store" section. So, what you get is an Ernie Banks card for sale with nothing in the title as to condition, a scan of an EXMT Banks, and then a tiny, "oh by the way," the offered card is G/VG.
When did this start? I sure hope it doesn't make its way in to the pre-war section
Old 05-23-2009, 05:43 PM
Rick McQuillan

Default Tbob

The Beckett website is the same way. They have hundreds of 55 Bowmans, but all of the photos are stock photos of a great looking card. I don't even check Beckett any more because I never know what I will get. One mans EX is another man's VG.

BTW, I am about 35 cards away from a VG/EX 55 Bowman set. I love the cards and the hunt for the remaining cards.

Good luck in your quest.

Rick

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.
Old 05-23-2009, 06:34 PM
Brad Green

There is a dealer on eBay (and Beckett) that lists Goudeys for sale. The only photo that is shown is the Beckett stock photo. He specifies the condition of the particular card that is for sale. I asked him for a scan of one of the cards several months ago. He replied and said that he has millions of cards and does not have time to scan all of them for which he gets scan requests. As long as his attitude does not change, I will not be buying any cards from him. Maybe one day he'll realize that he's better off showing scans of the actual cards rather than the Beckett stock photos.