NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Football Cards Forum

Old 09-03-2008, 10:10 AM
Administrator

Default Info Needed: 1974 Pro Draft (Topps)

Posted By: Rhett Yeakley

This question isn't all that vintage, but is definately outside my realm of primary experience.

I picked up an example of the 1974 Pro Draft game the other day and it still had the 50 Topps cards in there but the cards weren't like the cards I had in other sets I seem to remember having owned. The cards all only had the one asterisk (like regular Topps cards) and all had the 1973 stats on back (at least those that have stats on back).

Did they produce the set both ways?

Any help appreciated.
-Rhett

Old 09-13-2008, 02:55 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike T

The 50 card set is known as 1974 Parker Brothers Pro Draft.

If I'm reading your post correctly, it sounds as if someone may have replaced the Parker Brothers cards with other Topps cards (which is not uncommon for these games).

The Parker Brothers cards look just like the regular 1974 Topps issue cards on the front (with the exception of 6 cards that have different player poses), but the backs are where you can tell the difference. MOST of the cards have 1972 stats on them, and they also have two asterisks on the copyright line.

It can get confusing if someone shuffled in some regular '74 Topps cards with the Parker Brother cards ... because there are a few regular '74 Topps cards with the two asterisks also, plus some of the Parker Brother cards have 1973 stats on the backs. There's a complete breakdown list in most larger football Becketts that explains each individual card so you can identify them.

I've found all kinds of years mixed together in those games before as kids would add in their favorite teams / players, etc.

Good luck with the cards and feel free to e-mail me if you need any futher info/help on it.

Mike

Old 09-13-2008, 06:14 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rhett Yeakley

Mike, thanks for the information. Since initially posting I have found out that there were 2 different printings for the 50 Topps cards in this set. All 50 cards are the same in both sets. My set is the second (or later) printing of the set.

Apparently the later version of the set produced essentially used regular Topps cards (as they have one * and those with stats have 1973 listed, as opposed to 1972). However the 6 cards that were different from their regular Topps counterparts are produced in the "Pro-Draft" version but have only one asterisk on back.

What I have heard is that the later version is several times tougher than the regular Pro Draft set, which really doesn't mean anything on the 44 cards that are the same as regular Topps, but the 6 "different front" cards in this version are tougher than their regular Pro-Draft versions.

-Rhett

Old 09-13-2008, 07:57 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Richard

I was lucky enough to find a Pro-Draft game at a local flea market, with the 50-card "Pro-Draft" set of cards complete (and in nice condition, lucky enough).

I've also got a question concerning the game and cards inside. On the box front it clearly shows 2 kids playing the game with 1973 Topps cards, not the 1974 cards inside. Was there ever a 1973 version of these cards? Or was the picture on the game box taken using regular 1973 Topps cards as "props", because, maybe, Topps hadn't come out with the 1974 set yet?

BTW, I Love this forum! Much more informative and interesting than all of the other forums that simply focus on graded cards and graded card values.

Old 09-22-2008, 08:18 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Fred Goodwin

I don't know anything about the board game, so I can't answer Rhett's OP, but I wanted to respond to Richard, who writes:

"BTW, I Love this forum! Much more informative and interesting than all of the other forums that simply focus on graded cards and graded card values."

I second Richard's comment. I don't collect graded cards, but I do collect vintage as well as modern FB cards, and I really enjoy the conversation here.
--
Dallas Cowboy Books Blog
http://tinyurl.com/CowboyBooksBlog

Old 10-01-2008, 10:57 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Marty Ogelvie

Fred,

Just so you know, there are 2 Cowboys in the Parker Brothers set (Bob Hayes and Rayfield Wright). I always look at the backs of any 1974 Topps cards of Hayes and Wright just to make sure they are not the Parker Brothers cards... I have had a few in my stock over the years, none at the moment.