NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 08-19-2007, 10:06 AM
Administrator

Default Does Steve Dalkowski Have A Card?

Posted By: Dan Bretta

Anyone know if a minor league card was made for this phenom? For those who don't know who he was, he was a pitcher in the Orioles system in the late 1950s-early 1960s who may have been the hardest thrower in the history of the game.

Old 08-19-2007, 04:34 PM
Administrator

I just realized he was in the 1963 Topps set on one of the 4 player cards...but I'm still wondering if he has a minor league card.

Old 08-19-2007, 06:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: bobw

Found this article on the ToppsVault web site:

CLICK BELOW FOR THE ARTICLE

http://www.thetoppsvault.com/pages_greatfinds/greatfinds7_dalkowski.htm

Old 08-20-2007, 07:52 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rich Klein

Was the 63 Topps card. You never know, something might pop up in an unknown set.

Rich

Old 08-23-2007, 04:19 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Walter

Here is his 1963 Topps issue. The thing I find most remarkable is his stat line on the back. Just amazing. He must have had some great stuff for the orioles to keep him around as long as they did. Too bad he couldn't get it under control. Just for comparison, it took David Cone 17 years and 2900 innings to issue 1137 walks.

Always looking for T59 Flag cards and T113 Types of Nations.
http://www.t59flags.com

Old 08-23-2007, 06:03 PM
Administrator

Posted By: peter chao

That is pretty amazing. To have both more strikeouts and walks than innings pitch, that's pretty amazing.

Peter C.

Old 08-24-2007, 08:15 AM
Administrator

He had lightning in his arm, but he could not contain it. Ted Williams said he was the fastest pitcher he ever faced. Some people estimate he threw the ball 110 mph, but I think that's exaggeration. My guess is he probably threw as hard as Joel Zumaya which is a legitimate 100mph pitcher. Zumaya hit 107 mph on the radar gun in spring training this year. In game one of the ALCS last year Zumaya hit 104.8 using enhanced pitch reading software which is said to be more accurate than the radar guns.

Old 09-28-2007, 09:13 PM
Administrator

Posted By: sagard

1.5 walks and 1.5 k's per inning in the minors.

Wiki says Nuke Laloosh was loosely based on Dalkowski.

Old 09-29-2007, 10:29 AM
Administrator

Posted By: William

I read an article in a late 1980's, earlyish 1990's issue of Baseball Digest about Dalkowski.

If my memory serves me correctly, I think it stated something to the effect that Dalkowski developed another pitch and/or slowed his fastball down a notch to get it across the plate, etc. Anyway he had finally gotten his pitches under control and there was real hope he could become a quality starter that season. But in spring training, he blew out his arm and never pitched again.

Old 09-29-2007, 04:34 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Glen Turner

I visited Harry Brecheen in Ada, Oklahoma a few years ago and talked baseball for several hours. Mr. Brecheen was a great pitcher and saw many pitchers over his career as a player and as a pitching coach. He was pitching coach for the Orioles in the 1950s and 1960s. I asked him about Dalkowski and he said without a doubt he threw harder than anyone he had ever seen. He said he must have been able to throw a 110 MPH. He said he couldn't imagine what he might have done in the Major Leagues if he had had control of his pitches.

Old 09-29-2007, 05:02 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rich Klein

Was when Earl Weaver was his manager. Weaver figured out that Dalkowski was the prototypical million dollar arm and 10 cent head and never made him do anything more than throw the baseball. If Weaver had been managing the Orioles in the early 60's, we just might have seen Dalkowski with a brief but exciting major league career.

And on a sadder note, IIRC -- Dalkowski ended up a migrant farmer and drank away most of his memory. His sister helps to take care of him but he is in a nursing home now and has been for some time

Rich

Old 09-29-2007, 09:39 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Marty

My references say that the 1963 Topps is his only card.

Old 09-29-2007, 09:52 PM
Administrator

I'm just wondering if there was a minor league issue of Dalkowski, but I'm guessing that's probably a "No" if someone hasn't stepped forward with one yet.