NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-25-2018, 09:30 AM
Anson

Default Why don't different T206 backs have their own designation?

I apologize if this has been covered over the years. I did search, but it's been 10+ years since taking my hiatus from the board. There are countless pages that came up in the search results.

Caramels/novelty/magazine cards with like fronts and different backs all warrant individual designations (e.g. E90, E101, E102, etc...). Why haven't T206s been re cataloged in a similar fashion? If I had to guess, it may steal some of the allure from the T206 Monster designation. It would also be tougher to keep track of the dozens of possibilities, when factory, color, series, etc..are added to the mix. It just seems odd that the logic is different with T206s than with candy cards.
Old 07-25-2018, 09:44 AM

Not sure why, but Burdick did the same thing with the E92 set (if it was Burdick and not Egan later). I've just learned to adjust and maintain my inner peace.

Brian
Old 07-25-2018, 10:01 AM

I think that it is because not all cards come with all backs. Also, the set was issued in series and some brands were only available in one series. It certainly adds value to the rarer backs. If Drum or Uzit was its own set, would most people care about them? As a t206 collector, not only do I want one of each front, but I want as many different examples of different backs as I can get.
Old 07-25-2018, 11:44 AM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Very good point to this thread. However, this ad may answer your answer. They were issued/intended as a series, but distributed via different brands.

Old 07-25-2018, 11:51 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by rats60 View Post
I think that it is because not all cards come with all backs. Also, the set was issued in series and some brands were only available in one series. It certainly adds value to the rarer backs. If Drum or Uzit was its own set, would most people care about them? As a t206 collector, not only do I want one of each front, but I want as many different examples of different backs as I can get.
Would they care about Drum and Uzit? Of course. They care about Victory and Red Cross and Pirate and ....
Old 07-25-2018, 11:54 AM
Anson

Very interesting, and the names at the top of the border are a nice touch.
Old 07-25-2018, 11:54 AM
Steve Birmingham

I think it makes sense in some ways.

T206 is a group of related sets with identical fronts issued by various brands of the same company.

The others are related sets, having identical or nearly identical fronts, but were issued by different companies. They're also smaller more well defined sets.
Think of the others like MSA where they printed discs, that they then put different backs on for different clients.
Old 07-25-2018, 12:30 PM

The fact that T206 cards are all from various brands of ATC is probably the best argument to keep all backs designated as T206.

As far as I know the E92 Dockman and Nadja brands are different companies from the E92 Croft's Candy and Croft's Cocoa, so this would be a case where there should be at least three different ACC designations.

Brian

Last edited by brianp-beme; 07-25-2018 at 12:32 PM.
Old 07-25-2018, 01:52 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Duly note that many of the categorizations and all of the catalog letter-numbers were made by collectors after the fact (The tobacco companies didn't make the T206 name), and they could have been cataloged in different ways. The Allen & Ginter 'baseball card sets' are just collector made-up, because A & G issued the cards as issues that contained boxing, wrestling and other sports. I think the T206 as it is is proper, but it is not 'wrong' to suggest that they should have been sets cataloged by back brands, especially when compared to how other 'back brand' sets have been cataloged. The original question was a very good one, and, most interesting to me, I don't think I ever pondered that before.

Last edited by drcy; 07-25-2018 at 01:54 PM.
Old 07-25-2018, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
Would they care about Drum and Uzit? Of course. They care about Victory and Red Cross and Pirate and ....
Some would, but some wouldn't. I don't have any of those backs and most likely never will. I do want different t206 backs.
Old 07-25-2018, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Some would, but some wouldn't. I don't have any of those backs and most likely never will. I do want different t206 backs.
You are missing out! With your taste, maybe consider an HOF Pirate or Victory (or Red Cross). I never look at mine and think "damn, I am so pissed I own this". Instead, I think "I wish I could show these more often to people who know how rare they are!"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg T214 Victory -- Tris Speaker - Front.jpg (7.9 KB, 163 views)
File Type: jpg T214 Victory -- Tris Speaker - Back.jpg (8.2 KB, 158 views)
File Type: jpg T215 Pirate Frank Chance.jpg (10.0 KB, 157 views)
File Type: jpg T215 Pirate Frank Chance BACK.jpg (7.8 KB, 156 views)
Old 07-25-2018, 08:31 PM
Sean Costello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss View Post
You are missing out! With your taste, maybe consider an HOF Pirate or Victory (or Red Cross). I never look at mine and think "damn, I am so pissed I own this". Instead, I think "I wish I could show these more often to people who know how rare they are!"
I know that feeling.
Old 07-26-2018, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss View Post
If I were rich like you, I might. I have to be picky about what I buy. I would rather have your Honus Wagners.
Old 07-26-2018, 09:30 AM
Sean Costello

Quote:
If I were rich like you, I might. I have to be picky about what I buy. I would rather have your Honus Wagners.
Hey, I know this feeling as well!
Old 07-26-2018, 11:34 AM

I don’t know if it’s being rich, as much as being totally addicted (see other thread) and believing strongly in the long term, investment value of rare HOF cards.
Old 07-28-2018, 06:12 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

T206s have similar characteristics such as white borders, brown lettering, size and paper consistency (mostly) and were inserted in tobacco packs in the same time frame. The series which aren't classified as T206 have different characteristics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianp-beme View Post
The fact that T206 cards are all from various brands of ATC is probably the best argument to keep all backs designated as T206.

As far as I know the E92 Dockman and Nadja brands are different companies from the E92 Croft's Candy and Croft's Cocoa, so this would be a case where there should be at least three different ACC designations.

Brian

Last edited by Leon; 07-28-2018 at 06:13 PM.