NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 11-21-2015, 09:09 AM
M@rk Comer

Default Orioles

Quote:
Originally Posted by icollectDCsports View Post
Pretty simple design, but I really do like these. Some great players represented.
Can you take another picture of the Brooks pin when you have an opportunity since I see a bunch of other O's pins surrounding "the greatest third baseman of all time"? Love to see those other O's pins!
Old 11-29-2015, 11:09 AM
Mikeknapp

I would think it is safe to say this one could be a bit over priced?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/INCREDIBLE-S...QAAOSwHQ9WUUwb

If you have any 1971 Pirate regular season game stubs (home or away games) please let me know what have!

1971 Pirates Game used bats Collection 18/18 (100%)
Old 11-29-2015, 11:36 AM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71buc View Post

At that price, I want free shipping!
Old 11-29-2015, 12:55 PM

Quote:

Hoochie, Mama! At that price can I buy multiples?
Old 11-30-2015, 11:12 AM
Howard Chasser

Default Sorry for taking so long guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by springpin View Post
Rob,

Your comment about me tracing down the story behind these pins raises another dimension in being a pinback detective. I will say for the record that Howard and his connection is the only way this story will ever be known.

All the sleuthing on pins that I have ever done involved trying to tie together scattered clues from the past. I recall one person even asking me, "Why would anyone care about such stuff?" My only answer was, "I don't know, but I do."

The new dimension in this case pertains to legal issues---the selling of licensed images. This is a pinback story that not only is not known, but perhaps some people may wish to have it remain unknown. By now I believe the statute of limitations may have expired, or perhaps more simply, no one in MLB today cares what happened 40 years ago. Then again, maybe MLB might want to make this photographer a poster child for those who defy them. I think winning the trust of this person is critical, along with perhaps the assurance of anonymity in telling the story.
HI guys

1) I've been going through a separation and divorce for 2 years now and have not had the time I usually devote here.
2) I am the ebay seller offering the Clemente pin. Multiples can not be bought at any price as these pins in my experience are that scarce. I own the only 2 Clemente's I have ever seen. The only reason I am offering it for sale at all is to help fund #1 I hope I sell other items to raise the needed funds.
3) As far as the back story on the pins. Due to some of the potential issues mentioned in the quote above and the persons desire for privacy, I will not be using names. Parts of the story I am piecing together from 1 and 2 parties away from the source who led me there. Here goes:

The images were taken by a professional sports team photographer. Unclear if the images were done in studio or elsewhere, but the images were all originals. The photographer knew many of the ballplayers through association with the team he was photographer for. There was intention/discussion/plans, etc of getting a license. A second hand part of the story was that the person trusted to get the license gambled and lost the money that was to be used for the license. In any case, no license was ever secured. Distribution or lack thereof is a bit puzzling - I know an earlier post said he remembers them being sold outside a stadium - it is the only time I have heard that. A small batch of pins were made in advance of securing the license. I have been told (third hand)that the photographer gave them out to friends and family. The original photographer communicated to at least one person I spoke to that he was not allowed to sell the pins without a license. I have a small print of the Clemente. A large Clemente print 18x24 (This is almost certainly the same image from behind Vera's head - shown in an earlier post) sold in a Lelands auction back in 2007 (see image - clearly from the same shoot, but slightly different image - check the bat). I spoke directly with the family member of the original photographer who apparently still owns the negatives. He was very suspect of my jubilation and questions. He really didn't shed much light except confirm he has the negatives, confirm the "licensing issue", and asked not to be contacted. It seems there will remain more questions than answers about this issue.

It would be great if someone would take charge of compiling a checklist. Anyone have time, want to work on that?

I own: Clemente, Mays, McClain, Gaylord Perry. I owned a Pete Rose photo/"pin proof".

These pins are easily discernible by the high quality of the Player image set against a color background that fades to white in its center.

Hope that helps.

Howard
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 18x24 photo sold at Leland's for 1600. 01-07.jpg (52.1 KB, 645 views)

Last edited by hcv123; 11-30-2015 at 11:20 AM.
Old 11-30-2015, 02:31 PM
Rob

First of all, Howard, sorry if we were having fun with your price on the Clemente pin. I'm not sure you'll get it, but good luck. I had actually scribbled down a list, earlier, from this thread. Here's what I came up with:

Cubs - Pepitone, Santo, Williams, Hands, Popovich, Ortiz, Beckert, Jenkins

Red Sox - Scott, Conigliaro, Kennedy, Petrocelli, Josephson, Griffin, Culp, Yaz, Aparicio

Orioles - Powell, B. Robinson, F. Robinson, Palmer

Brewers - May, Bristol, Walton, Saunders, Harper, Hogan, Koslo, Loockwood, Pattin, Joss

Senators - McClain and Howard (rumored)

Reds - Rose and Bench photo proofs seen, but not actual pins.

Mays - Giants

Blue - A's

Clemente - Pirates

Seaver - Mets

Perry - Giants? (rumored)

Could be as many as 36 or 37, with definitely more when you count the variations in size, pose, finish and/or whether they have the facsimile autograph.

Last edited by ooo-ribay; 11-30-2015 at 09:33 PM.
Old 11-30-2015, 09:10 PM
Howard Chasser

Default checklist and Clemente

No worries on the fun with the Clemente pin. I understand based on what other similar pins have sold for that the price seems astronomical. I know the story behind them and the likelihood that no more than a handful of any player exist. I have seen only 2 Clemente's in over 25 years of collecting (and own both currently). I have sold too many items in the past for way less than their known scarcity dictated(imo). I have found that eventually someone who really knows how scarce certain items and want to add them to their collections is willing to pay for them. I'll either have an incredibly scarce pin remain in my collection or get what I believe to be a fair price for it.

As a point of information on the checklist - I never saw a finished pin of the Rose - only a proof/photo. Did someone else report owning or seeing a Rose pin?
Old 11-30-2015, 09:37 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcv123 View Post

As a point of information on the checklist - I never saw a finished pin of the Rose - only a proof/photo. Did someone else report owning or seeing a Rose pin?
No, I think you're right. I revised the list to reflect the Bench and Rose photo "proofs."

Is Gaylord Perry pictured as a GIANT? Would you mind posting a picture? If you have any thoughts of selling, please PM me.
Old 12-01-2015, 07:14 PM
Howard Chasser

Default Guess I'm getting the last laugh

So the Clemente is sold. I have attached pictures of the Clemente with and without autograph - the plot thickens.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg clemente no auto.jpg (74.5 KB, 593 views)
File Type: jpg clemente auto.jpg (9.5 KB, 603 views)
Old 12-01-2015, 09:09 PM

Quote:
So the Clemente is sold. I have attached pictures of the Clemente with and without autograph - the plot thickens.
WOW!! Congrats on getting your price.

Last edited by Scott Garner; 12-02-2015 at 04:26 AM.
Old 12-01-2015, 09:15 PM
Rob

Good for you, Howard!

How about a picture of the Perry?
Old 12-02-2015, 07:50 AM
Howard Chasser

Default coming....not so soon.

I am not sure where I put the Perry. I definitely have it. I will post when I find it.
Old 12-02-2015, 08:24 AM
Rob

Quote:
I am not sure where I put the Perry. I definitely have it. I will post when I find it.
When you find it, you might want to sell it to me.
Old 12-02-2015, 11:55 AM
Howard Chasser

Default I might

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooo-ribay View Post
When you find it, you might want to sell it to me.
Old 12-02-2015, 11:36 PM
Mikeknapp

Quote:
First of all, Howard, sorry if we were having fun with your price on the Clemente pin. I'm not sure you'll get it, but good luck. I had actually scribbled down a list, earlier, from this thread. Here's what I came up with:

Red Sox - Scott, Conigliaro, Kennedy, Petrocelli, Josephson, Griffin, Culp, Yaz, Aparicio

Brewers - May, Bristol, Walton, Saunders, Harper, Hogan, Koslo, Loockwood, Pattin, Joss

Mays - Giants

Blue - A's

Clemente - Pirates

Seaver - Mets

Could be as many as 36 or 37, with definitely more when you count the variations in size, pose, finish and/or whether they have the facsimile autograph.
I just came across this photo of Pirate coach Frank Oceak in a SABR article. http://sabr.org/bioproj/person/0d29600d I can't imagine Frank was destined to be on a pinback. So perhaps the "photo proofs" were really just photos never destined to be pinbacks? The Oceak photo was provided for the article "courtesy of the Pittsburgh Pirates". Perhaps this photographer was a Pirate team photographer?

If you have any 1971 Pirate regular season game stubs (home or away games) please let me know what have!

1971 Pirates Game used bats Collection 18/18 (100%)
Old 12-03-2015, 07:09 AM
Howard Chasser

Default Very interesting

Quote:
I just came across this photo of Pirate coach Frank Oceak in a SABR article. http://sabr.org/bioproj/person/0d29600d I can't imagine Frank was destined to be on a pinback. So perhaps the "photo proofs" were really just photos never destined to be pinbacks? The Oceak photo was provided for the article "courtesy of the Pittsburgh Pirates". Perhaps this photographer was a Pirate team photographer?
I heard something about a dinner back in the early 70's at which there were some blowups of Clemente (and perhaps other Pirates?). Supposedly those images still exist somewhere. The photographer was not the Pirates team photographer - Les Banos was the team photographer.

The Rose "proof" that I had was small and square - approximately "pin size". The Clemente print I have is larger - I think 3x5. Whoever has the Bench - what are the measurements?

Last edited by hcv123; 12-03-2015 at 07:11 AM.
Old 12-03-2015, 06:20 PM
Rob

I'm now wondering about the background colors, too. Did the photographer have pinkish, blue, green, etc. backdrops or were colors somehow added after the photos were taken in front of a, say, white background?
Old 12-03-2015, 06:26 PM
Rob

Quote:

The Rose "proof" that I had was small and square - approximately "pin size". The Clemente print I have is larger - I think 3x5. Whoever has the Bench - what are the measurements?
Bench is not mine, but judging from the fingerprint in the lower right, I'm gonna guess 4x6 or 5x7.
Old 12-05-2015, 05:54 AM
Tom Hansen

I bought my Joe Pepitone pin at Wrigley Field in 1971--I can't recall whether it was inside the ballpark or at a stand outside the park, but i DO recall purchasing it from a concessions stand after a game. That's what got me started on this damn thing in the first place.
About the backgrounds--it's highly unlikely that the backgrounds were retouched to alter the colors. The "technology" was too limited back then, and given the odd nature of this product i doubt the creator would have invested the time and effort to alter the backgrounds via composite or retouching. I do think they were shot against a colored background (a "sweep" in photo terms).
i've always wondered if the photographer got players as they came through his town, shot in a studio setting with multiple backdrop sweeps available (that's standard for commercial photo studios--they typically have dozens on hand), but everyone seems to be shot in their "home" jerseys, and it's unlikely that teams would have brought home uniforms with them on the road.
The Pepitone pin shows him wearing road pants and home jersey. Maybe these were shot during spring training (very likely) in either FLA or AZ . . . or both
Old 01-14-2016, 12:19 PM
Fr3d mcKi3

Default Billy C. Pin

Hi Guys:

I just picked up the Billy Conigliaro pin from this super tough set. I will be posting it on the B/S/T forum.

Sorry for the bad photo!

PM me if interested.

Fred
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1230.jpg (83.5 KB, 574 views)
Old 02-01-2016, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thansen30 View Post
For what it's worth, the seven 1971 Cubs stadium pinbacks I have--most are 3" and matte; two are 3.5" and glossy
Here is a 3" Don Kessinger. I have seen the Ernie Banks pin from this set but I don't have any photos of it. I also have the 3.5" versions of Glenn Beckert and Joe Pepitone.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg attachment 5.jpg (70.1 KB, 682 views)
File Type: jpg Kessinger pin.jpg (30.1 KB, 680 views)
File Type: jpg Cubs pins 2.jpg (62.8 KB, 684 views)
Old 08-27-2016, 03:40 PM
Tom Hansen

at long last, here is the Ernie Banks pin. 3" this is the only copy i've seen after years of wondering!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1971 Ernie Banks.jpg (16.0 KB, 621 views)
File Type: jpg Banks Reverse.jpg (54.1 KB, 624 views)
Old 08-27-2016, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thansen30 View Post
at long last, here is the Ernie Banks pin. 3" this is the only copy i've seen after years of wondering!
Congrats Tom!
Old 01-27-2017, 02:33 PM
Rob

Quote:

I own: Clemente, Mays, McClain, Gaylord Perry.
Bump. I still want to see the Gaylord Perry. I have an ebay search for it but still don't know if it really exists.
Old 01-27-2017, 10:02 PM
Danny Gabel

Default beautiful pins

I would love to see a scan on Seaver. Only one mets pin? I would imagine they would make few especially after winning the pennant in 1969.

Nice stuff and thread!
Always buying Deaf Sports related, William Hoy, Luther Taylor, George Kihm, Grover Alexander, Dick Sipek, Curtis Pride, Carlton Molesworth, Lou Burdette, Gil McDougald, Ralph Lin Weber, Gallaudet University

Set
1909 E-91A (23/33)
1993 Topps Finest Refractor (109/199)
Old 03-02-2017, 04:50 PM
Rob

Here's the super rare Friars Cub pin using the Willie Mays image from this series.

Hammered? Oh, yeah. Happy to have it? Oh, yeah.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2017-03-02 07.03.06.jpg (72.1 KB, 487 views)
Old 08-15-2018, 04:12 PM

FAScINATING STUFF... is there a more modern 80s Giants or other Pinback thread?
Old 08-15-2018, 08:23 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimm View Post
FAScINATING STUFF... is there a more modern 80s Giants or other Pinback thread?
Not per se, but 50+ pages of pin info here and links to some other pin threads, within.

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=166056
Old 08-16-2018, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Not per se, but 50+ pages of pin info here and links to some other pin threads, within.

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=166056
Thanks I will post my meager stuff... maybe one you dont have (but I doubt it)
Old 11-11-2019, 09:42 AM
Tom Hansen

Default Clemente pic

stumbled upon this just now in a 2006 Mastro auction catalog. maybe the same item in Howard's earlier post. Different take than the one used in the pin but maybe the same shoot? Who knows
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2006MastroCatalog.jpg (68.3 KB, 319 views)
Old 11-11-2019, 11:08 AM
Clint

Here’s another Pirate player we can add as far as photos go.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3D6D2AC0-9B2D-44AA-83EF-D8CC0005904F.jpg (6.4 KB, 398 views)
Old 11-11-2019, 09:09 PM
Jim H

Quote:
Here's the super rare Friars Cub pin using the Willie Mays image from this series.

Hammered? Oh, yeah. Happy to have it? Oh, yeah.
Always enjoy seeing what you have. Thanks for sharing your collection.
Old 11-13-2019, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksfarmboy View Post
Here’s another Pirate player we can add as far as photos go.
Jackie Hernandez?
Old 11-13-2019, 10:21 AM
Clint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Bowman View Post
Jackie Hernandez?
Yes it’s Hernandez.
Old 11-13-2019, 05:04 PM
Rob

I'm glad this thread got revived. Still waiting to see the rumored Gaylord Perry...
Old 11-13-2019, 05:13 PM
Clint

I did find a picture of a Lee Richard pin of the White Sox. The photo is too small to post but it was one previously unknown at least on this thread.
Old 11-19-2019, 04:31 PM
Tom Hansen

have never seen a white sox player in this series--would love to see that pin regardless of the lo-res!
Old 11-19-2019, 04:55 PM
Clint

Here you go Tom. If you search Tom Seaver button or pin on goggle you can find that one too. I found this one searching Ernie Banks pin. You can see it better that way.
https://www.google.com/search?q=erni...WwpATWEQ0V-qCM
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2F27B95B-056C-4606-B2A3-CCAFFB75ADF4.jpg (12.1 KB, 292 views)

Last edited by ksfarmboy; 11-19-2019 at 04:56 PM.
Old 11-19-2019, 04:58 PM
Clint

Here’s the Seaver
https://www.google.com/search?q=tom+...gTVhcFYm7-lYiM
Old 11-19-2019, 08:16 PM
Rob

Quote:

White Sox - Richard

Mays - Giants

Blue - A's

Clemente - Pirates

Seaver - Mets

Could be as many as 37 or 38, with definitely more when you count the variations in size, pose, finish and/or whether they have the facsimile autograph.
Updated with Lee Richard
Old 11-20-2019, 06:03 AM

Add another one to the Cubs checklist, that's a 3" inch Randy Hundley pin in that scan. I believe there is a Ken Holtzman 3" pin, there was a negative that was on eBay a few years ago that was described by the seller as being used for a pin. There is also a mystery pin on this guys hat in Wrigley Field from a 1973 photo, it's the one to the left of the Popovich pin. Anyone have an idea who the player is? Possibly Milt Pappas? The others known are Ernie Banks, Glenn Beckert, Bill Hands, Fergie Jenkins, Don Kessinger, Jose Ortiz (need), Paul Popovich, Ron Santo, Billy Williams. The 3 1/2" versions that I know of are Ernie Banks (need), Glenn Beckert, Joe Pepitone, Ron Santo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BBUwVHg.jpg (23.8 KB, 270 views)
File Type: jpg s-l1600cubs ][22.jpg (38.8 KB, 270 views)
File Type: jpg s-l1600cubs ][2222.jpg (55.6 KB, 273 views)
File Type: jpg s-l1600UGK8WDLN.jpg (75.1 KB, 284 views)
File Type: jpg s-l1600UGK8WDLNkh.jpg (25.4 KB, 273 views)
Old 11-20-2019, 08:07 AM
Rob

Quote:

Cubs - Pepitone, Santo, Williams, Hands, Popovich, Ortiz, Beckert, Jenkins, Hundley

Mays - Giants

Blue - A's

Clemente - Pirates

Seaver - Mets

Could be as many as 38 or 39, with definitely more when you count the variations in size, pose, finish and/or whether they have the facsimile autograph.
Updated.
Old 11-20-2019, 09:08 AM
Chris Counts

I somehow missed this thread during its first eight years, but I discovered it about two weeks ago. After reading it, I decided I needed one of these beauties for my completely unfocused collection, so I dove into eBay to see what I could find. I really have no idea what they are worth. My search (I tried many keywords) turned up only two of them, an Ernie Banks for $250 and a Vida Blue for $30. Since Vida was one of my boyhood favorites, the choice was easy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20191120_075910.jpg (72.3 KB, 267 views)

Last edited by Chris Counts; 11-20-2019 at 10:31 AM.
Old 11-20-2019, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Updated.
Ernie Banks and Don Kessinger are confirmed as Cubs.
Old 11-20-2019, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Counts View Post
I somehow missed this thread during its first eight years, but I discovered it about two weeks ago. After reading it, I decided I needed one of these beauties for my completely unfocused collection, so I dove into eBay to see what I could find. I really have no idea what they are worth. My search (I tried many keywords) turned up only two of them, an Ernie Banks for $250 and a Vida Blue for $30. Since Vida was one of my boyhood favorites, the choice was easy.
Hi Chris,
Here is your boy, Vida Blue in 2019. I liked him as well, BTW
A friend of mine just did a private signing with him a couple of months ago.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Vida Blue 2019.jpg (49.1 KB, 268 views)
Old 11-20-2019, 11:51 AM
Mike Kendall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Bowman View Post
Add another one to the Cubs checklist, that's a 3" inch Randy Hundley pin in that scan. I believe there is a Ken Holtzman 3" pin, there was a negative that was on eBay a few years ago that was described by the seller as being used for a pin. There is also a mystery pin on this guys hat in Wrigley Field from a 1973 photo, it's the one to the left of the Popovich pin. Anyone have an idea who the player is? Possibly Milt Pappas? The others known are Ernie Banks, Glenn Beckert, Bill Hands, Fergie Jenkins, Don Kessinger, Jose Ortiz (need), Paul Popovich, Ron Santo, Billy Williams. The 3 1/2" versions that I know of are Ernie Banks (need), Glenn Beckert, Joe Pepitone, Ron Santo.
There is a Milt Pappas.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 44D3538D-DA94-45D5-A590-5491A4A9F8D1.jpg (21.1 KB, 260 views)
Baseball's appeal isn't complicated or confusing. It's about the beauty of the game; it's about heroes and family and friends; it's about being part of something larger than yourself, about tradition---receiving it and passing it; and it's about holding on to a bit of your childhood.

Tom Stanton from The Road to Cooperstown
Old 11-20-2019, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK View Post
There is a Milt Pappas.
Fantastic! There should be a Jim Hickman and a Johnny Callison, unless they didn’t want to participate that day.
Old 11-20-2019, 12:02 PM
Tom Hansen

mind blown. I have scoured Chicago-area card shows for several decades looking for these pins and have never seen a White Sox player. This mystery just keeps getting better!
Old 11-20-2019, 12:03 PM
Tom Hansen

i'd say that IS Milt Pappas on the side of that guy's hat . . .
Old 11-20-2019, 12:04 PM
Rob

OK....so I'm a little OCD.

Here's the updated updated, properly alphabetized and sub-alphabetized.

A's - Blue

Brewers - Bristol, Harper, Hogan, Joss, Koslo, Lockwood, May, Pattin, Saunders, Walton.

Cubs - Banks, Beckert, Hands, Hundley, Jenkins, Kessinger, Ortiz, Pappas, Pepitone, Popovich, Santo, Williams.

Giants - Mays (incl. Friars Club variations), Perry(?).

Mets - Seaver.

Orioles - Palmer, Powell, B. Robinson, F. Robinson.

Pirates - Clemente (Hernandez and Oceak photo proofs seen, but not actual pins).

Reds - (Bench and Rose photo proofs seen, but not actual pins)

Red Sox - Aparicio, B. Conigliaro, Culp, Griffin, Josephson, Kennedy, Petrocelli, Scott, Yaz.

Senators - McClain, Howard(?).

White Sox - Richard

Looks like 41 known, with Howard and Perry rumored. Size, pose, finish and/or whether they have the facsimile autograph can vary.

Last edited by ooo-ribay; 11-20-2019 at 12:13 PM.