NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-02-2018, 02:32 PM
Peter Spaeth

Is it worth 2x in a 9.5?

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 02-02-2018, 05:06 PM
T0NY @

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Is it worth 2x in a 9.5?
If it were accompanied by one of these it would be!

Old 02-08-2018, 06:55 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default JR Burdick Letters

Well, not cards per se', but I think Jefferson Burdick handwritten letters will be the next big thing. That and postcards and RPPC's will still climb a little. No real reason why.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pcunc1914royaltailorschance.jpg (76.7 KB, 527 views)

Last edited by Leon; 02-08-2018 at 06:58 PM.
Old 02-10-2018, 06:54 AM
Mark Ness

Quote:
Originally Posted by darwinbulldog View Post
Quick, somebody start a thread on the Ty Cobb bubble.
Lmfao, you just gave me a good laugh to start my day.
Old 02-10-2018, 03:27 PM
D/e/@/n H/@/c/k/e/t/t

M116 Wagner pastel might have some legs. The 4 in Huggins went for a decent price.
Old 02-11-2018, 09:03 AM
Matt

Just noticed that pretty SGC 1.5 Shoeless CJ that was on eBay outsold the last PSA 2. Pretty card. Congrats to the winner. In some work procrastination surfing this morning, I saw that I somehow I missed a stunning "2" in Heritage last year that went for 45k. What a looker that one was as well.
Old 02-11-2018, 09:05 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
Just noticed that pretty SGC 1.5 Shoeless CJ that was on eBay outsold the last PSA 2. Pretty card. Congrats to the winner. In some work procrastination surfing this morning, I saw that I somehow I missed a stunning "2" in Heritage last year that went for 45k. What a looker that one was as well.
That Shoeless Joe CJ is a real hot shit card. Not to drop unnecessarily esoteric jargon.
Old 02-11-2018, 09:13 AM
Dave Wilson

Buck Ewing Old Judges ... http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=250157
Old 02-11-2018, 09:20 AM
Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
That Shoeless Joe CJ is a real hot shit card. Not to drop unnecessarily esoteric jargon.
There are definitely some cards in our hobby that just have an "it" factor. It's like you look at them for the first time and just know they'd be a collection cornerstone. I remember making my first steps into the PreWar space, and that Shoeless card, along with the CJ Cobb, really commanded attention. The D304 Cobb was another. Obviously the Goudey Ruths and the blue '33 Gehrig Goudey come to mind as well, among some others.

Basically, there are some cards we own that when another cool card comes up, we're okay with selling to grab the new one. Then there are those cards that we just know we can't ever sell, because we'd eventually want to get another example into the collection. Those are the cards that a collector has to always have a copy of, or it's as if the collection is incomplete.
Old 02-11-2018, 09:32 AM
Orlando Rodriguez

Yeah Matty, your 14 cj JJ suggestion got me thinking about the Mount Rushmore of baseball cards. I'm sure it's been done on n54 before. And as I recall, Joe Orlando put together a Mount Rushmore of: t206 Wagner, 1952 Mantle, m101 Ruth, and the Hank Aaron rookie. I think the CJ JJ has a strong claim for the spot given to the Hank rookie.

Last edited by orly57; 02-11-2018 at 02:29 PM.
Old 02-11-2018, 09:35 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Gonna be an Exhibit card because...

My long-planned book on Exhibit sports issues will be out before the National. I've already written the chapters on boxing, PC back baseball and champions sets.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 02-11-2018 at 09:36 AM.
Old 02-11-2018, 10:19 AM

Not suggesting they take off to the moon, but there has to be some goodly headroom with Colgan's Chips (Cobb & Wagner) and Domino Discs (Johnson, Matty, Cobb). These seem to have been relatively stagnant last chunk of years. Or do big time collectors don't really care for these issues and they will forever more be cast-offs.
Old 02-11-2018, 10:29 AM
Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by orly57 View Post
Yeah Matty, your 14 cj JJ suggestion got me thinking about the Mount Rushmore of baseball cards. I'm sure it's been done on n54 before. And as I recall, Joe Orlando put together a Mount Rushmore of: t206 Wagner, 1952 Mantle, 1915 Ruth, and the Hank Aaron rookie. I think the CJ JJ has a strong claim for the spot given to the Hank rookie.
I agree. In general I look to the cards that command a tidy sum even in the very lowest conditions; it just speaks to their significance and intrinsic value.
Old 02-12-2018, 12:58 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Colgan's are cool

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 02-12-2018, 01:42 PM
Ralph Gee
Banned

Default vintage

Yes, I can answer that

the 2018 Topps Heritage vintage cards are going to look like the 1969 design

This concept is getting so stale...these " vintage throwback classics are now looked at as " not very vintage or old or throwback at all...most collectors decided way back when, that any vintage old cards made in the late 60s..are considered " too new " to even collect. many don't even collect 50s anymore
Old 02-12-2018, 01:59 PM
Ne@l K

a clean T205 Johnson

Successful transactions with Peter Spaeth, Phil Garry, Don Hontz, JStottlemire, maj78, bcbgcbrcb, secondhandwatches, esehobmbre, Leon, Jetsfan, Brian Van Horn, Brian Dwyer, MGHPro, DeanH, canofcorn, Zigger Zagger, conor912, RayBShotz, Jay Wolt, AConte, Halbig Vintage and many others
Old 02-12-2018, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hangman62 View Post
Yes, I can answer that

the 2018 Topps Heritage vintage cards are going to look like the 1969 design

This concept is getting so stale...these " vintage throwback classics are now looked at as " not very vintage or old or throwback at all...most collectors decided way back when, that any vintage old cards made in the late 60s..are considered " too new " to even collect. many don't even collect 50s anymore
I couldn't disagree more. When I started collecting cards I was 10 years old and began collecting cards of recognizable HOFers like Mays and Mantle. The first batches of cards I bought were 60s stars and HOFers. Then I progressed to pre-war. I would think the evolution is similar for others too. Getting a kid interested in old Topps sets is the only way to further vintage interest. I don't think any 10 year kid is going to tell you cards that look like older sets they've never seen are stale.
Old 02-12-2018, 06:22 PM
Ne@l K

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
I couldn't disagree more. When I started collecting cards I was 10 years old and began collecting cards of recognizable HOFers like Mays and Mantle. The first batches of cards I bought were 60s stars and HOFers. Then I progressed to pre-war. I would think the evolution is similar for others too. Getting a kid interested in old Topps sets is the only way to further vintage interest. I don't think any 10 year kid is going to tell you cards that look like older sets they've never seen are stale.
agreed

Plus, anyone who has a substantial collection better hope and pray that kids are still collecting .... we need a replacement base, and it appears it ain't happening

Successful transactions with Peter Spaeth, Phil Garry, Don Hontz, JStottlemire, maj78, bcbgcbrcb, secondhandwatches, esehobmbre, Leon, Jetsfan, Brian Van Horn, Brian Dwyer, MGHPro, DeanH, canofcorn, Zigger Zagger, conor912, RayBShotz, Jay Wolt, AConte, Halbig Vintage and many others
Old 02-12-2018, 08:03 PM
Tyler Smith
Tyler Sm.ith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal View Post
agreed

Plus, anyone who has a substantial collection better hope and pray that kids are still collecting .... we need a replacement base, and it appears it ain't happening
I can thankfully say I believe you’re wrong on this Neal. I’m 32 and amazed at how people in the 25-35 year old range are getting back into it. There seems to be a common theme I’ve noticed. Kids who collected in the late 80’s through early 00’s first get lured back in with high end boxes and breaks (tribute, museum, et cetera), then start buying the vintage cards they wanted as kids but could never afford. It’s never going to be like the 80’s again with virtually every boy in the country ripping packs of 88 donruss and fleer but I actually think the demand for vintage and high end modern items is going to greatly surpass everyone’s expectations (or should I say hopes?) over the long term. Many reasons for this but I think people only focus on schoolboys ripping packs for an indication of the hobby’s future.

As for cards of the year, again the Frank Robinson rookie as well as early Jackie and Willie cards. Amazingly undervalued IMO.

Last edited by ronniehatesjazz; 02-12-2018 at 08:06 PM.
Old 02-12-2018, 08:08 PM
Ne@l K

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronniehatesjazz View Post
I can thankfully say I believe you’re wrong on this Neal. I’m 32 and amazed at how people in the 25-35 year old range are getting back into it. There seems to be a common theme I’ve noticed. Kids who collected in the late 80’s through early 00’s first get lured back in with high end boxes and breaks (tribute, museum, et cetera), then start buying the vintage cards they wanted as kids but could never afford. It’s never going to be like the 80’s again with virtually every boy in the country ripping packs of 88 donruss and fleer but I actually think the demand for vintage and high end modern items is going to greatly surpass everyone’s expectations (or should I say hopes?).

As for cards of the year, again the Frank Robinson rookie as well as early Jackie and Willie cards. Amazingly undervalued IMO.
I would hardly call a 25-35 year old that is getting back into the hobby a kid ... that is the age that I got back into the hobby, probably like many of us.
I'm talking about 8-12 year olds, which is how old we were when we started - gotta start to get back in. Packs are too expensive and they didn't have snapchat when we were young.

Of course there are exceptions I guess ...

Last edited by Neal; 02-12-2018 at 08:10 PM.
Old 02-13-2018, 10:20 PM
C0le Hibb@rd

1949 Bowman Paige- same year as the iconic 1949 Leaf, and looks even better

T206 Cobb red- more common than green, but looks just as good

1951 Bowman Mantle- has quietly risen over the years. I remember getting a PSA 1 for like 700 5 or 6 Years ago

W514 Joe Jackson- probably one of the cheapest cards you can get of him honestly, but its rarity and the fact that it was from 1919 (100th anniversary coming up) are key

Successful BST deals with: Smanzari, Edwolf1963, Sean1125, scmavl, Runscott, jthorst75, EYECOLLECTVINTAGE

Last edited by vintagerookies51; 02-13-2018 at 10:22 PM.
Old 07-25-2018, 12:42 PM
Ethan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
Gonna be an Exhibit card because...

My long-planned book on Exhibit sports issues will be out before the National. I've already written the chapters on boxing, PC back baseball and champions sets.
Exhibits do seem to be drawing a lot of attention! Early vintage postcards in general are becoming more mainstream. Such an interesting side of the hobby with many rare and yet to be discovered examples out there.