NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-07-2017, 10:15 AM
Orlando Rodriguez

Default On a positive note...

This board is so often full of negativity, fighting, and insulting, that we tend to forget just how many wonderful guys there are in this hobby. As I sit here in Miami, waiting for what appears to be an extremely powerful hurricane, I have received offers from so many members (friends and strangers alike) to bring my family to their homes. Total strangers on this board have invited me up to stay with them in Wisconsin and California. Friends that I have made on this board, and often only communicate through text, have invited me to stay in their homes in Georgia, Minnesota, New York, and even the West Coast of Florida. I write this because it is so easy to begin disliking the board as a whole, due to the words and actions of only a few. There are so many good, and caring people on this board, and I think it should be acknowledged and celebrated.

Last edited by orly57; 09-07-2017 at 10:43 AM.
Old 09-07-2017, 10:19 AM
Peter Spaeth

Are you going to stick it out or evacuate?

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 09-07-2017, 10:27 AM
Gobucsmagic74

Good luck Orlando. I'll be riding it out just up the road from you in Rockledge, Fl just north of Melbourne
Orlando Rodriguez

I planned to evacuate, but my wife insisted on waiting, assessing, evaluating, thinking, meditating, and all other forms of paralysis by analysis, that it's now more irresponsible to leave than to stay. The expressways heading North are all clogged up, and gas throughout the state is extremely limited. Unlike other hurricanes, this one threatens the entire state (rather than just south Florida for example). As such, the gas is in short supply throughout the state. A friend of mine recently arrived in Orlando, normally a 3 1/2 hour drive, in 9 hours! And forget catching a flight ANYWHERE. I think the cure may be worse than the disease at this point. Thankfully, I am well prepared, and my house is equipped with hurricane-impact windows and a new roof.
Old 09-07-2017, 10:31 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by orly57 View Post
I planned to evacuate, but my wife insisted on waiting, assessing, evaluating, thinking, meditating, and all other forms of paralysis by analysis, that it's now more irresponsible to leave than to stay. The expressways heading North are all clogged up, and gas throughout the state is extremely limited. Unlike other hurricanes, this one threatens the entire state (rather than just south Florida for example). As such, the gas is in short supply throughout the state. A friend of mine recently arrived in Orlando, normally a 3 1/2 hour drive, in 9 hours! And forget catching a flight ANYWHERE. I think the cure may be worse than the disease at this point. Thankfully, I am well prepared, and my house is equipped with hurricane-impact windows and a new roof.
Yeah, I know Rick Scott keeps telling people to leave but where do they go, and how do they get there? It doesn't seem realistic to move millions of people. A friend of mine on the Gulf Coast made a similar decision. Let's hope it turns a little east and no matter what happens, best wishes to you and all Board members in the path of the storm for your safety.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 09-07-2017 at 10:32 AM.
Old 09-07-2017, 10:46 AM
Jeff G@rf!nkel

Good luck and be safe.

My parents are in Boynton Beach and my wife's parents are in Hudson on the West coast. It will be an anxious weekend for all.

Jeff
Old 09-07-2017, 10:49 AM
€dw@rd Sk€£t0n

God bless you and you and your family will be in my prayers. If it is not too late, I suggest you re-consider and get out of there. I know baseball cards are last on someone's mind when facing a hurricane, but in your case I know you have a very magnificent and expensive collection. I hope they are somewhere safe, too. Best wishes to you.

Collecting PCL, Southern Association, and type cards.
http://hangingjudgesports.com
Old 09-07-2017, 10:56 AM
Orlando Rodriguez

Quote:
Originally Posted by edjs View Post
God bless you and you and your family will be in my prayers. If it is not too late, I suggest you re-consider and get out of there. I know baseball cards are last on someone's mind when facing a hurricane, but in your case I know you have a very magnificent and expensive collection. I hope they are somewhere safe, too. Best wishes to you.
Thanks guys. You know Ed, on Tuesday I decided to take my cards to the safety deposit box in my bank. I feared that during the hurricane, I may be faced with the decision of saving either the cards or my wife. I feared I would chose wrong, and save my wife. Since she doesn't fit in the box, I took the cards to the bank instead.

Last edited by orly57; 09-07-2017 at 02:57 PM.
Old 09-07-2017, 11:18 AM
Paul

My thoughts and prayers are with You, your family, and all of the residents of Florida and surrounding areas during this difficult time. Stay safe..
Old 09-07-2017, 01:32 PM

Orlando - thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. Residing in Houston, my family and I lived through Harvey over the last couple weeks.
Even though our home was spared, many Houstonians are not nearly as fortunate. The positive from this devastation, many neighbors, first responders, churches, local govt, complete strangers, people from all states, etc. have all come together to make a positive impact in helping Houstonians/Houston recover as quickly as possible by providing the basic necessities and anything else needed or required to help get them back in their homes. Sometimes a tragic situation brings out the very best in people.
Adam B

I would have to consider taking someone up on that offer. Most models now show Miami taking a direct hit. Godspeed, Orlando.
Old 09-07-2017, 10:31 AM
Bob Donaldson

Nice post!

Best of luck during the hurricane

Bob
Old 09-07-2017, 10:26 AM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

thoughts and prayers to you and your family.

Yes just like real life, there are plenty of good people just need to know where to look
Successful transactions with: Drumback, Mart8081, Obcmac, Tonyo, markf31, gnaz01, rainier2004, EASE, Bobsbats, Craig M, TistaT202, Seiklis, Kenny Cole, T's please, Vic, marcdelpercio, poorlydrawncat, brianp-beme, mybuddyinc, Glchen, chernieto , old-baseball , Donscards, Centauri, AddieJoss, T2069bk,206fix, joe v, smokelessjoe, eggoman, botn, canjond

Looking for T205's or anything Babe Ruth...email or PM me if you have any to sell.
Old 09-07-2017, 12:04 PM
M@tt McC@rthy

Be safe Orlando...and everyone else who is in harm's way....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I collect Hal Chase, Diamond Stars (PSA 5 or better), 1951 Bowman (Raw Ex or better), 1954 Topps (PSA 7 or better), 1956 Topps (Raw Ex or better), 3x5 Hall of Fame Autographs and autographed Perez Steele Postcards. You can see my collection by going to http://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/BigSix.
Old 09-07-2017, 12:50 PM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

Be safe bro!!!
I been watching it here in North Georgia. I know we will get some rain bands from it, but nothing compared to you guys.
That reminds me to hit ol' Bob in Savannah up and see what he is doing.
Ping Bodie, Sam Rice
Old 09-07-2017, 12:57 PM
Bob Davies

Best of luck sir. My sister in law and her family bailed; told us it took them 9 hours to get from the Keys to Orlando. And she said all gas stations all the way had incredible lineups, if they even had gas. Their goal is to get to the Panhandle.

I sat through a Cat 4 in Daytona Beach when I was working there a number of years ago. Scary sh*t, especially for a Canadian not used to storms like that.

Again, prayers and best wishes to you, your family, and all residents.
Old 09-07-2017, 01:03 PM
Bry@n

Stay safe!

I lived in New Orleans during Katrina and left the morning the storm hit and never once regretted that decision. We stayed for tropical storms and a Cat 1 and even being without power and access to stores for days on end is miserable even when there is no major damage.

Charge up all of your stuff now and turn off the wifi on your phone as soon as the power goes out as that kills the battery, I also suggest turning phones off when you aren't using them once the power goes out.

I don't know the elevation of your house and whether or not you have an attic/crawlspace, but make sure that you have an ax on the topmost level of your house just in case as it will be hard to get onto the roof without one.

Get your best cards in ziploc bags or something!!!

Good luck and stay safe.

Last edited by Jobu; 09-07-2017 at 01:51 PM.
Old 09-07-2017, 02:07 PM

Yes, best of luck to Orly and all in FL. I hope that after everything passes, all are safe and the damage is only limited. We'll all be pulling for you this weekend.
Old 09-07-2017, 03:23 PM
C@rl P@rk

Good luck and God bless, Orlando, Mike K and everyone else who is in harm's way. Here is hoping for the best.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 09-07-2017, 05:59 PM
Joe M.

I'm in Fort Myers, staying put, Hurricane shutters up and new home in December 2015. Highways are full and not sure where I would go anyway. And gas is a problem traveling long distances. I thought back roads to Sebring, but might hit anywhere in the sate.

Joe

Collecting Detroit 19th Century N172, N173, N175.
N172 Detroit. Getzein, McGlone, Rooks, Wheelock, Gillligan, Kid Baldwin Error, Lady Baldwin, Conway, Deacon White

Positive transactions with Joe G, Jay Miller, CTANK80, BIGFISH, MGHPRO, k. DIXON, LEON, INSIDETHEWRAPPER, GOCUBSGO32, Steve Suckow, RAINIER2004, Ben Yourg, GNAZ01, yanksrnice09, cmiz5290, Kris Sweckard (Kris19),Angyal, Chuck Tapia,Belfast1933,bcbgcbrcb,fusorcruiser, tsp06, cobbcobb13
Old 09-07-2017, 06:04 PM
T0m C@rf@gn0

I wonder if it might be a good idea for those of you in Florida to try to locate some local ham radio operators. Cell service may be destroyed and without power you may have no way to communicate with loved ones.

Tom C

Last edited by btcarfagno; 09-07-2017 at 06:04 PM.
Old 09-07-2017, 07:17 PM
Frank Evanov

Default Prayers

Prayers for Orlando and his family, and for all those threatened by this fearful storm.
Old 09-07-2017, 08:10 PM
Paul Herbener

Be safe Orly! Prayers your way and to all those in Irma's path.
Old 09-08-2017, 09:20 AM
Rennie
Re.ne Gal.letti

Quote:
Originally Posted by btcarfagno View Post
I wonder if it might be a good idea for those of you in Florida to try to locate some local ham radio operators. Cell service may be destroyed and without power you may have no way to communicate with loved ones.

Tom C
You can also use the Zello app which turns your smartphone into a walkie talkie to communicate with others instantly.

http://zello.com/app
Old 09-08-2017, 09:26 AM
T0m C@rf@gn0

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWG View Post
You can also use the Zello app which turns your smartphone into a walkie talkie to communicate with others instantly.

You youngins and your new fangled doohickies think you are so dang smart!!!

Tom C
Old 09-08-2017, 09:43 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWG View Post

.......until the cell phone towers collapse.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 09-08-2017, 03:28 PM
Mat.thew Zim.mer.man

ORLANDO --I wish you and all those in area(s) safety we have there family too but they have left like most ...

I am sincerely sorry if you are un-happy with me as TOPPSAHOLIC or a person or both. Don't know you. Guessing I'm one of the few that has recently made it un-fun for you?
A shame. --cards is fun its our #1 MO. truth is we don't even really make money we just see moooore cards haha. have made myself entirely accessible to anyone with questions a lesser person wouldn't surface here -- sorry again, sincerely.... moving towards only graded stuff but its tough when you have a lot of low grade junk :<

Safe Travels to all those getting out of FLA and extra prayers for those staying put
Old 09-08-2017, 05:11 PM
Orlando Rodriguez

Classy, Topps. I appreciate it.
Old 09-08-2017, 05:24 PM
Bruce Mattioli

Good luck man, stay safe..
Old 09-08-2017, 05:38 PM
D@le Irv*n

All the best, Orly, and everyone else!

Good luck.
Old 09-08-2017, 05:42 PM
Jeff

Take care Orly! Also, I think it's weird TOPPSAHOLIC shamelessly plugged his business in this thread.

Always looking for interesting pre-war baseball & hockey postcards!