NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-03-2015, 02:33 PM
Glyn Parson

Default E125

Wagner $300 about 10 months ago in an antique store.
Old 05-04-2015, 07:55 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default The Trucker Boy Find...

Around 10 yrs ago I saw this card on ebay (ungraded of course). No one bid on it and I ended up winning it on the second listing. The seller had around 750 more cards I ended up getting too. Some were uniquely known in the hobby and they were collected by the guys grandfather in Northern California....

Old 05-04-2015, 08:05 AM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcbgcbrcb View Post
Gehrig RC for under $900, that's a $5K+ card, WOW!
Yikes! I been looking for one of these Gehrig RCs for a while (in a lower grade)
I even saw where Leon had a photo or sorts of it back in 2012.
Old 05-04-2015, 08:19 AM
Anthony Rodriguez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean View Post
I bought this one for $30 on ebay. The seller didn't know about the Factory 42, and I didn't notice it until the card arrived.

Attachment 168053

Attachment 168054
I have one!
Old 05-04-2015, 09:09 AM
J0$H B^ck!ey

Jealous of that Merkle in general. I love that card and I've never found it anywhere close to $30.
22/39 Unique Backs 56%
80/86 Minors 93%
25/48 Southern Leaguers 52%
6/10 Billy Sullivan back run 60%

237PSA / 94 SGC / 98 RAW

Excel spreadsheets only $5
T3, T201, T202, T204, T205, T206, T207, 1914 CJ, 1915 CJ, Topps 1952-1979, and more!!!!

Checklists sold (20)

T205 8/208 3.8%
Old 05-04-2015, 11:32 AM
Sean Costello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshchisox08 View Post
Jealous of that Merkle in general. I love that card and I've never found it anywhere close to $30.
That's probably my fault. I've been hogging them.
Old 05-04-2015, 11:35 AM
Andrew Aronstein

It was mentioned in several articles in the 70's but but my father discovered his first Wagner (of three) in 1972 when someone responded to a want ad he put in the paper for T206's.

A woman one town over from him responded to the ad and said she had a large collection of tobacco cards both non sports and T206's. My father picked through the good T206's and pulled what he needed to complete his set. Before he left he decided to take a look at all the ones that were in bad shape too and there he found a Wagner with three borders missing. He paid twenty cents for this card . He sold it in 1974 when he discovered his 3rd Wagner in Vermont.

Here is an article from 1973 that briefly mentions the find:

https://news.google.com/newspapers?n...,2860504&hl=en

Last edited by TCMA; 05-04-2015 at 11:38 AM.
Old 05-04-2015, 11:37 AM
Andrew Aronstein

Last edited by TCMA; 05-04-2015 at 11:38 AM.
Old 05-04-2015, 12:18 PM
Anthony Rodriguez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean View Post
That's probably my fault. I've been hogging them.
I actually got mine for $25
Old 05-04-2015, 01:57 PM
Sean Costello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enfuego View Post
I actually got mine for $25
Anthony, you should post it.
Old 05-04-2015, 02:11 PM
Cain J.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCMA View Post
It was mentioned in several articles in the 70's but but my father discovered his first Wagner (of three) in 1972 when someone responded to a want ad he put in the paper for T206's.

A woman one town over from him responded to the ad and said she had a large collection of tobacco cards both non sports and T206's. My father picked through the good T206's and pulled what he needed to complete his set. Before he left he decided to take a look at all the ones that were in bad shape too and there he found a Wagner with three borders missing. He paid twenty cents for this card . He sold it in 1974 when he discovered his 3rd Wagner in Vermont.

Here is an article from 1973 that briefly mentions the find:

https://news.google.com/newspapers?n...,2860504&hl=en

I didn't know this story thank you for sharing. I love to hear about the good old days of T206's.
Old 05-04-2015, 03:17 PM

Default Here One of MiNe...

A lil over 10 years ago... I bought this one of a kind Jordan SL'er Proof fir around $1500.

Ohhh, He Also came wit a MaTTY T206 ~ w/ only the Yellow ink!

As Johnny has stated, "Those were the Days"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PROOF_T206_Jordan.jpg (18.6 KB, 408 views)
Old 05-04-2015, 05:23 PM

That Jordan proof is a super card!!!
Old 05-04-2015, 11:37 PM
Joshua
J0shua Le.vine

OBCers remember this one...

OBC, the online trading group, used to host a get together every year in Vegas in May. I used to go every year. There were all sorts of events including a BBQ, trading session, half-rubber (like stickball), a luncheon, a gambling night, a card shop visit, and a golf session. I don't golf so I would scout out baseball card shops (would check out certain shops back then to see which had the best selection of vintage stuff), shows, or even garage sales during the golf portion and would meet everyone for a late lunch afterwards. This was about 17-18 years ago now...My girlfriend at the time wanted to go shopping and there was a small card show at a local mall. She wandered off shopping and I went to the show that was populated with a lot of shiny stuff and slabbed stuff and generally nothing much of interest for me. I was going though a notebook of bell brand dodgers that were WAY overpriced when an older man walked up to the table and tried to get the dealers attention. When the dealer finally looked at him, the older gentleman asked if the dealer was buying old cards. The dealer said sure, opened the plastic bag and looked at two small binders. The first binder contained a bunch of Nolan Ryan cards from 1993ish if I recall and the dealer immediately closed the book and said that he was not interested and literally turned his back on the man who had started to say he had some much older cards and programs. He walked away and I followed. I asked him if I could look. We found a bench in the mall, introduced ourselves (his name was Eugene), sat down and he pulled out the second notebook. I immediately noticed some programs from the late '50s and early '60s. I said "wow" and he showed me some of them. I asked if he was from Pittsburgh and if he "got them at Forbes himself." He said yes, was impressed that I knew about Forbes and we chatted for about a half hour. He then brought out an old autograph book that he said he was keeping and showed me some autographs from the '40s through the '60s incl. Wagner, Clemente, Maz, etc. It was wonderful!! He asked if I wanted to see the older cards. I said sure thinking it would be stuff from the '50s but he showed me some 9 pocket sheets with 1941 Playballs...the first sheet included Hubbel and Ott and the next one included Foxx and Williams (there were several sheets). He said he collected them when he was just 14 or 15 (he was in his mid-80s at this point) and then showed me an article from his cub scout newsletter about how he turned in bottles for nickels and bought cards. I was floored to see an original collection. We talked for nearly an hour about our collections and habits and childhood. At the end, I asked why he was selling. He just said that he wanted them to go to someone who would collect them like he did. He asked how much money I had on me...I said I had just spent most of my money but could get to an ATM and take out $300 but "these are worth more." He said he was just glad to sit with a fan, talk for a few hours and I could have the cards for $300. I said sure immediately. We walked to the ATM and traded my money for his cards...We chatted another 15 minutes and I offered to drive him home but he said he was going to take the bus and run some errands. I got his number and we chatted a few times after that but I never saw him again. Gene passed away about ten years later at 95 or 96 years old. When I sat back down at the mall and waited for my girlfriend to come back, I went through the pages...it was only then that I realized I had just purchased a complete 1941 Playball set in vg-ex condition incl. the Williams in vg and the Dimaggio was ex+...I really wanted to walk over to the rude dealer but my girlfriend showed up first. She was excited about her shoes on sale...I was more excited. We met the OBC guys for lunch and passed around the set to look at...that was probably one of my best buys and most satisfying because I felt that I earned it through my fandom, kindness, and willingness to listen...

And yes, I still own that set!

Joshua
Old 05-04-2015, 11:49 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Joshua - What a cool story! Thanks for sharing!

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 05-05-2015, 08:10 AM
Brendan Mullen

Joshua, awesome story!!
Old 05-05-2015, 08:50 AM
Anthony Rodriguez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wite3 View Post
OBCers remember this one...

OBC, the online trading group, used to host a get together every year in Vegas in May. I used to go every year. There were all sorts of events including a BBQ, trading session, half-rubber (like stickball), a luncheon, a gambling night, a card shop visit, and a golf session. I don't golf so I would scout out baseball card shops (would check out certain shops back then to see which had the best selection of vintage stuff), shows, or even garage sales during the golf portion and would meet everyone for a late lunch afterwards. This was about 17-18 years ago now...My girlfriend at the time wanted to go shopping and there was a small card show at a local mall. She wandered off shopping and I went to the show that was populated with a lot of shiny stuff and slabbed stuff and generally nothing much of interest for me. I was going though a notebook of bell brand dodgers that were WAY overpriced when an older man walked up to the table and tried to get the dealers attention. When the dealer finally looked at him, the older gentleman asked if the dealer was buying old cards. The dealer said sure, opened the plastic bag and looked at two small binders. The first binder contained a bunch of Nolan Ryan cards from 1993ish if I recall and the dealer immediately closed the book and said that he was not interested and literally turned his back on the man who had started to say he had some much older cards and programs. He walked away and I followed. I asked him if I could look. We found a bench in the mall, introduced ourselves (his name was Eugene), sat down and he pulled out the second notebook. I immediately noticed some programs from the late '50s and early '60s. I said "wow" and he showed me some of them. I asked if he was from Pittsburgh and if he "got them at Forbes himself." He said yes, was impressed that I knew about Forbes and we chatted for about a half hour. He then brought out an old autograph book that he said he was keeping and showed me some autographs from the '40s through the '60s incl. Wagner, Clemente, Maz, etc. It was wonderful!! He asked if I wanted to see the older cards. I said sure thinking it would be stuff from the '50s but he showed me some 9 pocket sheets with 1941 Playballs...the first sheet included Hubbel and Ott and the next one included Foxx and Williams (there were several sheets). He said he collected them when he was just 14 or 15 (he was in his mid-80s at this point) and then showed me an article from his cub scout newsletter about how he turned in bottles for nickels and bought cards. I was floored to see an original collection. We talked for nearly an hour about our collections and habits and childhood. At the end, I asked why he was selling. He just said that he wanted them to go to someone who would collect them like he did. He asked how much money I had on me...I said I had just spent most of my money but could get to an ATM and take out $300 but "these are worth more." He said he was just glad to sit with a fan, talk for a few hours and I could have the cards for $300. I said sure immediately. We walked to the ATM and traded my money for his cards...We chatted another 15 minutes and I offered to drive him home but he said he was going to take the bus and run some errands. I got his number and we chatted a few times after that but I never saw him again. Gene passed away about ten years later at 95 or 96 years old. When I sat back down at the mall and waited for my girlfriend to come back, I went through the pages...it was only then that I realized I had just purchased a complete 1941 Playball set in vg-ex condition incl. the Williams in vg and the Dimaggio was ex+...I really wanted to walk over to the rude dealer but my girlfriend showed up first. She was excited about her shoes on sale...I was more excited. We met the OBC guys for lunch and passed around the set to look at...that was probably one of my best buys and most satisfying because I felt that I earned it through my fandom, kindness, and willingness to listen...

And yes, I still own that set!

Joshua
Very touching Story. Thank you for sharing
Old 05-05-2015, 11:05 AM
Ron Skaggs

Default s74 with paper backing

Well just picked this up a couple of days ago off of ebay's buy it now.
If you collect Silks with paper backs you will know how tough these are.
I guess even this longtime dealer didn't realize what he had.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wolter.JPG (24.6 KB, 159 views)
File Type: jpg wolter back.JPG (22.9 KB, 159 views)