NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-03-2008, 11:46 AM
Administrator

Default Nice work Tim Newcomb and Todd Schultz! M101-4 and M101-5

Posted By: Jimi

Hey guys,

Great work on the M101-4 and M101-5 write up in Old Cardboard. I just got it in the mail today and read your article first. The pictures were helpful, especially regarding the different backs. I have always enjoyed that set though knew very little on it. Too bad I can't afford to work on that set though!

Hey, Tim, e-mail me when you get a chance. Let's catch up!

Jimi

Old 07-04-2008, 07:27 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Andy Baran

When I was still collecting baseball cards, the M101-4/5 were among my favorite sets. The article was very informative. There was one topic that was not covered that I hoped would be discussed. Does anyone have a theory as to why certain cards (Ruth, Baker, etc.) have grayed out backgrounds rather than real backgrounds?

Old 07-04-2008, 08:48 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

I read the article last night. It was very informative and well done....As maybe one of the first M101-4/5 back collectors out here I really enjoyed the in depth discussion on them too. Way to go guys!!

Old 07-04-2008, 03:47 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Scot Reader

I have been looking forward to this article. Thanks Tim and Todd!

Old 07-04-2008, 08:33 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul

It is an outstanding article. I was a little surprised by the estimate that there are only about 70-100 "sets" of M101-4, including all backs combined (and even less of M101-5). Does that mean that each player in M101-4, taking all backs into account, is about as scarce as a T206 Wagner?

That actually reminds me of a second questions. Why did Burdick have such a hard time documenting and ultimately acquiring a T206 Wagner? If I remember correctly, for many years he was not convinced of its existence. And he acquired the card only a few years before he donated his collection. But he had so many other cards that were so much rarer than the Wagner. Why could he find these, but not Wagner?

Old 07-04-2008, 09:56 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave Hornish

Yes, a great article; I really liked the back gallery. Well done lads!

Old 07-05-2008, 10:55 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Tim Newcomb

For your kind words about the article. It was fun to do.

Paul's question is a good one -- we went back and forth about whether to include numbers of that kind-- (like are there 25-50 Green/Joyce cards known total, etc.) In the end this is the only such estimate we went with, knowing it would be questioned (by us too).

But on the other hand, there are tons of cards a lot scarcer than the T206 Wagner-- E cards, T cards, etc. etc. That card is only "rare" in its specific context of T206. Its value is the product of a perfect storm-- a very scarce card in the most widely-collected set, an A-list HOFer, the anti-smoking Wagner lore, and now decades of hobby legend behind it.

One other thought: a while back when I polled M101-4/5 population among this group, we got a total in the low thousands-- the equivalent of 6-8 sets at most. I think mine accounted for 25-30% of that total (I had about 300 cards in the two sets at the time). From that surprisingly low number owned by a group of avid collectors, I guess I extrapolated that there were not a huge number of sets out there-- dozens more, certainly, but not hundreds and hundreds.

Anyway, we can continue to discuss. I got a note this morning from a man who gave me a lead on where the Mall Theatre was located! I'm about to look into it.

Tim

Old 07-05-2008, 11:47 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian Weisner

Hi Tim and Todd,
The article was fantastic... I've read it twice and I'm sure I will have to go through it another 10-15 times before it all sinks in. I only collect certain players from the issues, but I will probably start a back collection soon. Be well Brian