NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-15-2019, 02:39 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Default Keep Gibby in Your Thoughts

Hall of Fame right-hander Bob Gibson, who won the Cy Young and National League MVP awards in 1968, sent a letter to living Hall of Famers informing them he is battling pancreatic cancer.

He was the only future Hall-of-Famer to play any of his minor league home games here in Columbus...and that wasn't easy for a black man back then.

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 07-15-2019, 07:15 PM
+0m J()rd@N

Wow, that is a tough one. Hoping he still has that high, hard fastball to back that terrible disease off the plate.
1952 Topps - low numbers (-1)
1954 Bowman (-5)
1964 Topps Giants auto'd (-2)
Old 07-15-2019, 08:16 PM
Peter Spaeth

Tim McCarver tells some great stories about him. Several had nothing to do with baseball really, but rather how he educated McCarver about race.

One was this. In the clubhouse after a game, McCarver tells Gibson, there's a colored gentleman here to see you. Oh? says Gibson. What color is he?

I thought it was priceless.

Maybe the greatest stare from the mound in the history of the game.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 07-15-2019, 08:32 PM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

True. I'd sooner go up to bat against Carl Mays.
Old 07-15-2019, 08:41 PM
Kenny Cole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdaddy View Post
Wow, that is a tough one. Hoping he still has that high, hard fastball to back that terrible disease off the plate.
Yeah. It is basically a death sentence. I hate that. Hope he beats it but the statistics aren't good, particularly at his age.
Old 07-15-2019, 11:22 PM
Bob McLean

I have some great memories of him from my teen age years. He was an awesome pitcher, great competitor, and one tough dude. I'm hoping he can knock this one down and hang around a few more years.
Old 07-16-2019, 12:39 AM
David M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurtisFlood View Post
I have some great memories of him from my teen age years. He was an awesome pitcher, great competitor, and one tough dude. I'm hoping he can knock this one down and hang around a few more years.
I agree with you Bob. I grew up watching Gibson and he was one of the most dominate pitchers of his era. Hang in there Gibby and beat this thing!
Old 07-16-2019, 01:52 AM
Dave Foster

This news totally sucks . . . He signed a Perez-Steele and an 8x10 for me about 20+ years ago at the SF Labor Day show. Among my treasures. Nice man. His book, "Stranger to the Game" is a great read and gives a great accounting of what BS he had to endure.
Old 07-16-2019, 04:22 AM
Bill Gregory

This is terrible news. I have tremendous respect for Gibson, and hope he beats this. But Pancreatic cancer is about as nasty as it comes.

He's emblematic of just how the game has changed. Back in the day, if you crowded the plate, and Gibson was on the mound, you were a dead man.

I was very little when he retired, but I've watched full games of the man in his prime. He's the most intimidating player I've seen in the game.

I can't hear the name Bob Gibson, and not think of his follow through. He ended up halfway between first and home when he was done.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 07-16-2019, 04:24 AM

Default Bob Gibson

My thoughts are with him as he battles this dread disease.
Old 07-16-2019, 10:28 AM
David M.

Bill, someone created this fantasy Gibson In Action 1972 card using a similar photo. It might have been you, I don't remember. But I know someone will recognize their work.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1972 Fantasy Topps Gibson IA.jpg (73.3 KB, 354 views)

Last edited by GasHouseGang; 07-16-2019 at 10:29 AM.
Old 07-16-2019, 04:16 PM
Ken Wirt

Such sad news, but hoping for the best. Saw him pitch in 1968 (1.12 ERA, pennant-winning season), and also saw him rack up his 2999 strike out. Best pitcher I ever saw or followed!! Positive vibes...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 175. Bob Gibson.jpg (80.5 KB, 324 views)
Old 07-16-2019, 04:37 PM
Jimmy

My Dad ended up seeing him pitch during the 1967 WS and got his auto, what a player - very sad, God Bless his family

Jimmy
Old 07-16-2019, 05:54 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasHouseGang View Post
Bill, someone created this fantasy Gibson In Action 1972 card using a similar photo. It might have been you, I don't remember. But I know someone will recognize their work.
That was me, in this thread...
http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=219771

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 07-16-2019, 06:01 PM
John Wondowski

Growing up in Detroit, Bob Gibson was the devil - 1968 World Series against the Tigers. I was only seven years old, but I quickly, begrudgingly learned to appreciate his greatness. Hated his guts though, which is the ultimate compliment. Nobody hated Ron Willis. In 74/75 when his decline accelerated, I felt as though I had lost part of my childhood - this man is invincible!

My thoughts and prayers are with Bob Gibson and his family; he will fight as only Bob Gibson can. One of the fiercest competitors to ever don a baseball uniform.

Last edited by wondo; 07-16-2019 at 06:05 PM.
Old 07-16-2019, 06:10 PM
Peter Spaeth

Before the 9th inning of game 7 of the 64 World Series, Gibson went to Johnny Keane and told him he had nothing left. Keane said, you have a four run lead, it's not like you're going to give up four home runs. Gibson proceeds to give up two home runs. Keane leaves him in. He eventually wraps up the game. When asked why on earth he had left Gibson in, Keane said, I had a commitment to his heart.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 07-16-2019, 06:35 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Before the 9th inning of game 7 of the 64 World Series, Gibson went to Johnny Keane and told him he had nothing left. Keane said, you have a four run lead, it's not like you're going to give up four home runs. Gibson proceeds to give up two home runs. Keane leaves him in. He eventually wraps up the game. When asked why on earth he had left Gibson in, Keane said, I had a commitment to his heart.
Thank, Peter. That was awesome!

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 07-16-2019, 10:52 PM
David M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
See I knew someone would let us know who created it! Sorry Darren, I didn't remember who made them, but I saved all the Cardinals!
Old 07-17-2019, 11:54 AM
Doug Goodman

He graciously signed this for me before a Giants / Braves game at Candlestick in the early 80s.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Auto-Gibson Bob.jpg (82.4 KB, 193 views)
Old 07-17-2019, 12:32 PM
Al Richter

I heard McCarver tell a story about going to the mound to steady Gibson down after a couple of walks and Gibson telling him to get his ass back behind the plate because all Tim knew about good pitching was that he could not hit it
Old 07-17-2019, 01:03 PM
Tony

There would certainly be less bat flipping and grandstanding if Gibson were pitching today. He’d probably be suspended half the season if he was. The game really has changed. Hopefully he still has some of that fiercely competitive spirit left.

Last edited by Nunzio11; 07-17-2019 at 01:33 PM.
Old 07-17-2019, 01:17 PM
Sc.ott Ver.renti

his is incredibly sad news. My Dad was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer 10 years ago in May 2009. At the time we thought he was considered "lucky", because the spot on his pancreas was in an operable location, which afforded him the opportunity to have what is called the Whipple procedure. Many pancreatic cancer patients are not so lucky.

They opened him up for surgery, and realized the cancer had already spread to his liver. They closed him back up, and there wasn't much else they could do. They tried chemo, but he was so weak already having recovered from a failed surgery, he couldn't handle it. He passed away in December of 2009. I miss him every day.

Pancreatic cancer is a nasty, nasty disease. I wouldn't wish it on my own worst enemy.

Prayers to Bob Gibson and everyone else fighting it.
Old 07-17-2019, 01:17 PM
Sc.ott Ver.renti

his is incredibly sad news. My Dad was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer 10 years ago in May 2009. At the time we thought he was considered "lucky", because the spot on his pancreas was in an operable location, which afforded him the opportunity to have what is called the Whipple procedure. Many pancreatic cancer patients are not so lucky.

They opened him up for surgery, and realized the cancer had already spread to his liver. They closed him back up, and there wasn't much else they could do. They tried chemo, but he was so weak already having recovered from a failed surgery, he couldn't handle it. He passed away in December of 2009. I miss him every day.

Pancreatic cancer is a nasty, nasty disease. I wouldn't wish it on my own worst enemy.

Old 07-17-2019, 02:59 PM
Greg Z@y@tz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooptown View Post
This is incredibly sad news. My Dad was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer 10 years ago in May 2009. At the time we thought he was considered "lucky", because the spot on his pancreas was in an operable location, which afforded him the opportunity to have what is called the Whipple procedure. Many pancreatic cancer patients are not so lucky.

I have a similar story regarding to my Father-In-Law, but will spare you all the details. If you get to choose your cancer, you would not pick this one - IT SUCKS!!

All the best to Mr. Gibson & his Family.
Old 07-21-2019, 10:12 PM
K@t Alex@nder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggoman View Post
I have a similar story regarding to my Father-In-Law, but will spare you all the details. If you get to choose your cancer, you would not pick this one - IT SUCKS!!

All the best to Mr. Gibson & his Family.
Similar story here - my mom lost her two best friends to pancreatic cancer in a matter of months. As a pre-war fan I've always considered Gibson as one of my favorite "modern" players. Thanks to those who have shared stories and pictures. Prayers to Gibby as well as his family.
Old 07-21-2019, 11:34 PM
Rob Sl@+kin

Cancer has never been up against Bob Gibson... and I would love to see Gibby knock it flat on its ass.

Thoughts and prayers for strength to Bob Gibson and his family.
Old 07-22-2019, 09:48 AM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooptown View Post

yes it is, very sorry for what you and especially your dad went through.
Both my parents were taken from Pancreatic Cancer in their 60's and there was no whipple attempt for either of them.

As for Bob Gibson, He was always one of my favorites. He would not sign my friends ball when he was 10 and snubbed him. The life long cardinal fan hates him to this day for it.

My other story is that a friend of mine pitched for the Mets as a rookie when Bob Gibson was his pitching coach and Joe Torre was the manager.

he asked gibson for advice and he said "Son, just throw the f***en ball as hard as you f***en can. He heeded the advice and on the first pitch of his first game on a cold night in Chicago, he hurt his arm.

He said he was never the same, though he finally made it back to the bigs a few years later to win a world series and comeback player of the year.