NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-10-2019, 12:49 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default Board Features

Since I just had a nice board member ask me about an id of a member, and his response was -
"Sweet! Been on here for around nine years and never knew that. Thanks, Leon."
I figure I might as well point out there is a thin blue line across all of the pages, with small words in it. One of them is the word Community. If you click on that there is s drop down menu and there are members ids, a lot of photo albums (free to use ) and so forth.
One other thing, members can set their number of posts they see in a thread, up to 80 posts per page, in order to not have tons of pages in longer threads...Happy roaming..
(was glad to get these back a while ago )
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pe100comparison.jpg (77.0 KB, 975 views)

Last edited by Leon; 02-17-2019 at 11:47 AM.
Old 02-10-2019, 01:58 PM
Fred

What happened to the links to ebay searches for the different cards? I used that a lot and it's been gone for a short while now.
Old 02-12-2019, 09:55 AM
Doug Doremus

Have to agree with the post above.
I miss the separate links for ebay searches.
Old 02-12-2019, 09:57 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougscats View Post
Have to agree with the post above.
I miss the separate links for ebay searches.
Give them time, many will probably be back. Are there specific searches yawl want up there? Babe Ruth, Ty Cobb, Gehrig etc...?
Old 02-12-2019, 04:40 PM
Doug Doremus

T206.

I’ve checked it every day for years.
I know that T206’s are included in the pre-war category, and that I could screen them out. I used to do that and maybe will again.
But the Net54 link was best.
Old 02-17-2019, 11:44 AM
Tony S.ti.ns.a
Tony Stins.a

Default Particular year affinity groups?

Leon,

Your post got me thinking: I am a collector of a lot of things, but right now my focus is 1949 Bowman baseball. Does Net54 now have, or have they ever had, affinity groups for specific sets? I am interested in connecting with other collectors or with dealers who have 1949's as I try to upgrade my set. Are there any board features that cater to this kind of interest?

Tony
Old 02-26-2019, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Since I just had a nice board member ask me about an id of a member, and his response was -
"Sweet! Been on here for around nine years and never knew that. Thanks, Leon."
I figure I might as well point out there is a thin blue line across all of the pages, with small words in it. One of them is the word Community. If you click on that there is s drop down menu and there are members ids, a lot of photo albums (free to use ) and so forth.
One other thing, members can set their number of posts they see in a thread, up to 80 posts per page, in order to not have tons of pages in longer threads...Happy roaming..
(was glad to get these back a while ago )
Leon - is there a way to search threads/posts for a full phrase? For example, if I want to search for "Charles Nelson Riley", can I get results for just that exact phrase and not for anything with Charles, Nelson, or Riley in it? I seem to not be able to do this. Thanks.
Old 02-26-2019, 02:18 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejharrington View Post
Leon - is there a way to search threads/posts for a full phrase? For example, if I want to search for "Charles Nelson Riley", can I get results for just that exact phrase and not for anything with Charles, Nelson, or Riley in it? I seem to not be able to do this. Thanks.
We probably need a s/w upgrade but the pain involved probably isn't worth the gain yielded, at this point. I use simple searches on our forum or I use Google and search Net54 and whatever..... Even though we aren't very Google friendly it seems to find us. I wish I had a better answer. Other members might know more than me about it.

Tony- There is a section of the board where post war but pre-1980 baseball cards are talked about, that is where you might discuss those cards.
http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7

Doug- we are putting some of the links back up there. IT will roll out over the next few days or so. You can see what some of it looks like under the archive tab.

Last edited by Leon; 02-26-2019 at 02:21 PM.
Old 02-26-2019, 02:19 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Someone posted this a while ago and I copied it. Sorry that I can't give proper credit to the net54 member, but here's the answer you're looking for:

A far better way to search the forum for old posts is to go to the url/address box and type "search site:www.net54baseball.com" (without the quotes) followed by a space and then whatever it is that you want to search for. This will let you use Boolean operators built into Google that Net54 doesn't allow (AND and OR) and quotation marks to search for an exact phrase. It is much better than using the forum's search option.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 02-26-2019, 02:23 PM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
We probably need a s/w upgrade but the pain involved probably isn't worth the gain yielded, at this point. I use simple searches on our forum or I use Google and search Net54 and whatever..... Even though we aren't very Google friendly it seems to find us. I wish I had a better answer. Other members might know more than me about it.

Tony- There is a section of the board where post war but pre-1980 baseball cards are talked about, that is where you might discuss those cards.
http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7

Doug- we are putting some of the links back up there. IT will roll out over the next few days or so. You can see what some of it looks like under the archive tab.
I would second using the google search. If you put site:www.net54baseball.com in the google search along with your search phrase it will only search this site for that phrase. The only real limitation I have found are areas (BST) that aren't searchable for non members and therefor won't show up in a google search.
Old 02-26-2019, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bn2cardz View Post
I would second using the google search. If you put site:www.net54baseball.com in the google search along with your search phrase it will only search this site for that phrase. The only real limitation I have found are areas (BST) that aren't searchable for non members and therefor won't show up in a google search.
Thanks all; the Google approach works very well.
Old 02-28-2019, 03:06 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Thanks all; the Google approach works very well.
Google is your friend. We got the links added back so folks can click away if they want to. And T206s are on top because why not? Also folks shouldn't forget to check out our community tab for lots of members albums of cards.
Old 03-08-2019, 06:27 AM
Doug Doremus

Default Pre-WWII Cards Ebay link error?

I think that the Pre-WWII Cards ebay link is erroneous.
When I press it, I get only T205 listings.

Also, can you restore/add the ebay promotions link?
Old 03-08-2019, 06:44 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

WE will get the pre war one fixed. Of course it is T205s, what do you think I collect? I will see what we can do about the promotions link too...
thanks for the feedback

Quote:
I think that the Pre-WWII Cards ebay link is erroneous.
When I press it, I get only T205 listings.

Also, can you restore/add the ebay promotions link?
Old 03-09-2019, 08:56 AM
Arnie

Never knew about the albums feature, I would love to have an album with a lot of my cards in it. I assume its not unlimited in size, how big can an album be? For instance, I have scans of sheets in my collections that are full page size, how many of those full size pages could i put in an album here?
Old 03-30-2019, 07:51 AM
Doug Doremus

Does anyone else have a problem with the Pre-WWII link?

My link is still not working properly, showing only T205’s.

Maybe it’s a problem with my program?
Old 03-30-2019, 08:04 AM
Bry@n

Hey ma - look, I was quoted!!

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=201527

I thought a general tips thread would be helpful, but it didn't get too far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
Someone posted this a while ago and I copied it. Sorry that I can't give proper credit to the net54 member, but here's the answer you're looking for:

A far better way to search the forum for old posts is to go to the url/address box and type "search site:www.net54baseball.com" (without the quotes) followed by a space and then whatever it is that you want to search for. This will let you use Boolean operators built into Google that Net54 doesn't allow (AND and OR) and quotation marks to search for an exact phrase. It is much better than using the forum's search option.
Old 03-30-2019, 01:42 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

No, I have been remiss in getting it fixed. I will get it done asap. Thanks for the reminder. As for Tapatalk, I am not a fan personally, but many members like it.

ps...Arnie, the picture albums are limited. Since you asked I just looked and made the album area bigger. Now instead of 6 albums of 25 pictures, each member can have 10 albums of 25 pictures. And the size of each is probably limited to 85kb as with other forum picture hosting (though I have seen a bit above that, but not much). We are using quite a bit of data space and the costs go up with increased usage. That is one reason for some limits.

Quote:
Does anyone else have a problem with the Pre-WWII link?

My link is still not working properly, showing only T205’s.

Maybe it’s a problem with my program?

Last edited by Leon; 03-30-2019 at 02:06 PM.
Old 03-30-2019, 01:58 PM
Rick McQuillan

Default Pictures

Hi Leon, I currrently have 126 pictures in my T213-2 folder. 25 pictures per page. Plus, I have had 7 albums for quite some time.

Rick

http://www.net54baseball.com/album.php?albumid=449

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.

Last edited by buymycards; 03-30-2019 at 01:59 PM.
Old 03-30-2019, 02:02 PM
je.sse @rnot

That 80 posts per page was a real game changer when I first found out about it. If there's a way to do it I would recommend making that the default setting.
Old 03-30-2019, 02:14 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Well, I don't want to blow the board up or delete it by accident , but I think I just made the standard to be 50 posts before it is another page. Any members that have it set from 50 to our max of 80 won't be affected. Making it start at 80 probably isn't an issue either so we'll see.

And Rick, I thought it was 200 pics before but could be wrong. It doesn't look like most folks use all of their space anyway. So I am not sure it's an issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 View Post
That 80 posts per page was a real game changer when I first found out about it. If there's a way to do it I would recommend making that the default setting.

Last edited by Leon; 03-30-2019 at 02:57 PM.
Old 03-30-2019, 02:18 PM
Rick McQuillan

Default 80

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 View Post
Hi Jesse, click on your username, then on User CP. Click on Edit Options, then scroll down to thread display options, then number of posts per page.

Rick

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.
Old 03-30-2019, 02:55 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by buymycards View Post
Hi Jesse, click on your username, then on User CP. Click on Edit Options, then scroll down to thread display options, then number of posts per page.

Rick
Thanks Rick, but I found out about this feature a while back. Just meant making the higher post count per page a default setting would be useful for those who don't know about it.

And Leon that sounds good. I think it was 10 per page when I first signed up. I said something about scrolling through 10 pages of responses when someone pointed out the 80 option.