NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-07-2018, 03:44 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
LOL you'd fit right in on the BST.
LOL but au contraire, I have bought quite a few cards from Board members, and none were discounted by any means. In REA though the cards seem to go into orbit.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 05-07-2018, 03:46 PM
Jay

just a couple 1s
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Magie.jpg (13.0 KB, 563 views)
File Type: jpg Johnson P42.jpg (18.1 KB, 562 views)
File Type: jpg Nap Portrait Hindu.jpg (17.5 KB, 566 views)
Old 05-07-2018, 03:55 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
LOL but au contraire, I have bought quite a few cards from Board members, and none were discounted by any means. In REA though the cards seem to go into orbit.
Of course it depends on what you want, but as someone who just bargain hunts for resale I loved the two lots I won.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 05-07-2018, 04:03 PM

Default A couple

Of things
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1954 Aaron BGS 7.jpg (77.3 KB, 396 views)
File Type: jpg 1906 Philadelphia Athletics Paddle Game.jpg (70.1 KB, 391 views)
File Type: jpg 1906 Philadelphia Athletics Paddle Game Back.jpg (72.8 KB, 390 views)

Last edited by bobfreedman; 05-07-2018 at 06:51 PM.
Old 05-07-2018, 04:05 PM
Peter Spaeth

Great Bazooka Mantle. I have seen only one other one that had the tab although I am sure there are others. Speaking of the tab, I wonder why it says the complete set is 9 players when it's something like 23?

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 05-07-2018 at 04:08 PM.
Old 05-07-2018, 04:18 PM
Howard Chasser

Default Thanks

Quote:
Great Bazooka Mantle. I have seen only one other one that had the tab although I am sure there are others. Speaking of the tab, I wonder why it says the complete set is 9 players when it's something like 23?
I have had my eye on these for a long time. I have been an under bidder in the past. I am aware of 3 other 1959 complete boxes with Mantle - could there be another 1 or 2 or 3 - maybe. Regarding the "9 players". Bazooka first issued the set with just 9 Superstar players. Not sure why (presumably because it sold well) they later added 14 more - These are the super tough short prints.
Old 05-07-2018, 04:40 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcv123 View Post
I have had my eye on these for a long time. I have been an under bidder in the past. I am aware of 3 other 1959 complete boxes with Mantle - could there be another 1 or 2 or 3 - maybe. Regarding the "9 players". Bazooka first issued the set with just 9 Superstar players. Not sure why (presumably because it sold well) they later added 14 more - These are the super tough short prints.
Ah, I get it, thanks. One of my favorite cards in the world, and in the scheme of things they cost very little.

Old 05-07-2018, 05:01 PM
James

Quote:
I can confirm that Peter is a very reasonable buyer on the BST board and will pay strong if the card warrants it. However, using a Spaceballs analogy, he will not go up to "ludicrous speed!" I can not say the same for whoever spent $50k more on a Mantle Dice Game card than a decent Ruth rookie, but maybe I just don't get it.
Old 05-07-2018, 05:13 PM
“the bambino”

Default thanks for nothing!

my wife wishes to thank to everyone who outbid me...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg struck out again.jpg (17.7 KB, 526 views)
Old 05-07-2018, 05:22 PM

Default Rea

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffon512 View Post
I can confirm that Peter is a very reasonable buyer on the BST board and will pay strong if the card warrants it. However, using a Spaceballs analogy, he will not go up to "ludicrous speed!" I can not say the same for whoever spent $50k more on a Mantle Dice Game card than a decent Ruth rookie, but maybe I just don't get it.
+1 Jimbo!
Old 05-07-2018, 05:38 PM
Andrew Hunt00n

Some very nice items on the board here guys! Wow. I really liked several cards like the blank back Wagners that started the thread and the Mantle Bazooka complete box. Was that a Magie error I saw too? Nice.

The Great T206 Back Stamp Project: Click Here
My Online Trading Site: Click Here
Member of OBC (Old Baseball Cards), the longest running on-line collecting club www.oldbaseball.com
My Humble Blog: Click Here
Old 05-07-2018, 05:27 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Thanks James -- who btw is a real pleasure to deal with and has great taste in cards.

Old 05-07-2018, 09:15 PM
Larry

Quote:
Hundreds of Ruth rookies (with different backs, of course), and ONE Topps Dice Game Mantle graded. And Mantle has been keeping close company with Ruth, a phenomena which those of us who also study sabermetric analysis (primarily under Professor Bill James, though not excluding other authors) will not disagree with.

Highest regards,

Larry

Last edited by ls7plus; 05-07-2018 at 09:20 PM.
Old 05-07-2018, 09:40 PM
Joshua

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls7plus View Post
Hundreds of Ruth rookies (with different backs, of course), and ONE Topps Dice Game Mantle graded. And Mantle has been keeping close company with Ruth, a phenomena which those of us who also study sabermetric analysis (primarily under Professor Bill James, though not excluding other authors) will not disagree with.

Highest regards,

Larry
I don’t think there are hundreds of Ruth’s rookies. 71 graded by PSA and 41 graded by SGC. There are probably as much if not more resubmission than there are raw. Not exactly hundreds. There are 1235 52 Topps mantles graded by PSA alone, which is 10x the amount of total graded Ruth rookies (all backs).
Old 05-07-2018, 10:33 PM

Wow, super nice proof, Michael. I didn't even see that one in the auction.
Old 05-07-2018, 11:38 PM
Travis Wise

Default Came away with this

I won the 1923-24 Thomas Gutierrez album and could not be happier! These usually got for quite a bit more. Condition is not the best, but who really cares when you have something this awesome.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg item_49812_1.jpg (82.6 KB, 649 views)
Old 05-07-2018, 11:51 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Great pick up Travis. Congratulations!
Old 05-08-2018, 02:25 PM
Al Jurgela

Default Super Deal!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlwise12 View Post
I won the 1923-24 Thomas Gutierrez album and could not be happier! These usually got for quite a bit more. Condition is not the best, but who really cares when you have something this awesome.
Well done Travis! Well Done! I think that you will love that when it is in hand!
50 Hage's Dairy (Minoso)
All Oscar Charleston Cards
Rare Soccer cards
Rare Boxing cards
Old 05-07-2018, 11:32 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls7plus View Post

Highest regards,

Larry
Larry-Time to recount. If you ignore Sporting News ad backs(they are not broken out from blank backs), there have been 35 Ruth rookies graded, across all ad backs.
Old 05-08-2018, 11:44 AM
R0b Sm!th

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
Larry-Time to recount. If you ignore Sporting News ad backs(they are not broken out from blank backs), there have been 35 Ruth rookies graded, across all ad backs.
oldjudge - Can you explain a little more? I know that the Sporting Life backs only come in the latter M101-4 series, but do you only consider the blank back Ruths rookie cards, or are there other backs?

The peculiarities of the different backs is very confusing to me.
Old 05-08-2018, 12:06 PM

Default Rea

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertsmithnocure View Post
oldjudge - Can you explain a little more? I know that the Sporting Life backs only come in the latter M101-4 series, but do you only consider the blank back Ruths rookie cards, or are there other backs?

The peculiarities of the different backs is very confusing to me.
FYI, while the timing of their release during the 1916 Calendar Year varies and remains somewhat ambiguous, all 1916 Ruth cards (blank or ad back) are considered his rookie card. Also, many collectors believe the M101-5 related issues (e.g., Famous & Barr/M101-5 blank backs) to be among the earliest released issues. A moot point because a “Rookie card” designation is typically ANY cardboard issue released during the entire calendar year (not predicated on which month during the year the card was issued).
Old 05-08-2018, 01:34 PM

Michael, seems the Board is happy with your decision to ignore my advice to pick up that Magie error SGC 30, instead of the proof. So if you cant beat'em, join'em. Great proof!! I guess I gotta get me a proof one of these days.
Old 05-08-2018, 01:36 PM
Peter Spaeth

I understand Larry's point about relative scarcity, but to me even if it's 100 or more a Ruth rookie card is still a much bigger deal than a 1/1 60s Mantle issue. Mantle -- great player, all the more so because of the perfect storm that made him an icon. But Ruth is on another level, and it's prewar. It's all a subjective judgment though.

Old 05-08-2018, 04:48 PM
R0b Sm!th

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintageclout View Post
FYI, while the timing of their release during the 1916 Calendar Year varies and remains somewhat ambiguous, all 1916 Ruth cards (blank or ad back) are considered his rookie card. Also, many collectors believe the M101-5 related issues (e.g., Famous & Barr/M101-5 blank backs) to be among the earliest released issues. A moot point because a “Rookie card” designation is typically ANY cardboard issue released during the entire calendar year (not predicated on which month during the year the card was issued).
Vintageclout - Thanks for that info. All things being equal though, I would prefer to have the M101-5 version of Ruth over the M101-4 just for the simple fact that it was produced earlier in the year. I understand that they may both be considered his "Rookie card," but I would still prefer to have the earlier one, especially because they seem to be more scarce.

So, besides the blank back, Famous & Barr and Standard Biscuit versions, are there any other Ruths that are generally considered to be from the earlier "M101-5" series?
Old 05-07-2018, 09:09 PM
Larry

Quote:
+1 there, Pete. I was the under-bidder on the '54-56 PSA 9 Spic & Span Aaron, at $8400 (it went for $9k with the BP) and was amazed. One of the 3 9's went for $3600 with BP at a Heritage auction less than one week earlier (probably the worst of the 3, though, with the ink too dark) and one changed hands on ebay for quite likely in the $6K range just a day or so before REA ended (opening bid: $7,000; auction didn't go forward because card "no longer available," so I'm guessing $6K and change).

May we fare better in the future and highest regards,

Larry

Last edited by ls7plus; 05-07-2018 at 09:18 PM.