NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-30-2005, 03:03 PM
Administrator

Default My National Trip Report

Posted By: cmoking

I had been to two other Nationals, in Anaheim and Atlantic City. I wasn't as focused in my collecting back then, and maybe that's why I had much more fun this time around. I knew exactly what I wanted (33, 34 Goudeys and World Wide Gum), I was comfortable with pricing and grading. So I was prepared this time.

I flew into Chicago on Thursday morning. Stupid me, but I flew into Midway and got a hotel room right next to the airport. Little did I know that it would take me 1.5 hours from my hotel to the convention center, each way. Man, that Chicago traffic is brutal. Next time I'll know to stay right where I need to be.

From the airport I drove right to the National. I was excited and I knew there was one dealer I wanted to hit right away and buy some cards that they had shown on their website. But the show was so large with so many dealers, it took about an hour to see them.

I was able to see several cards that are going to be in auctions in August. That really helped, as I was able to put some cards aside (in my palm pilot) as "not worthy" and decide I won't bid on them. For example, I have interest in the Memory Lane 33 Goudey #53 Ruth PSA 7, and their scan on their site looks nice - except for the centering, it looks like a fine 7. But when I looked at it carefully in person, I was very disappointed. I would call it a solid to high-end 6, but I wouldn't pay the price of a 7 for it. Then again, I also saw a 6 of the 53 Ruth that I thought was a low end 6, so it is possible that I am just very picky on these 5 figure cards (and I should be!) But it also makes me wonder how often some of these cards were submitted and re-submitted in order to get that grade. If a card is $7K in a PSA 6 and $20K in a PSA 7, and you have a card you think is a tweener, how often would you submit it in order to get a chance at a 7 (assuming you are going to sell it). $50 a pop is nothing compared to the $13K increase in price. The Mastronet auction has a 33 Goudey #2 Vance in a PSA 8, and although the corners look great, the toning is ugly and really detracts from the card. The way Mastro scanned the card in their catalog/website, it is really tough to see the toning, but you can see it on the scan of the back if you look carefully. This is a $5K-$7K card, and very difficult to find in 6 or higher, but it is not nice looking as an 8 should be. It may seem that I'm bashing PSA, but I also saw one card that I really needed in a SGC holder - 57 Earl Clark SGC 80 (6), but it had one horrible corner and was off-center to boot...I thought that was equal to a PSA 4 or 5, definitely not a 6. So, there you go, equal billing for both compaines. Interestingly, I bought two GAI 7 cards (Lazzeri and Paul Waner) which I thought were fantastic, while in the past I had always been disappointed with GAI graded cards that I got in the mail. Sorry for the long tangent. My thoughts are that it was fantastic to see cards in person. When I buy online, I'm too often disappointed by the quality of the card when I receive them - that's because the scan is sometimes better than the card. But when I can see the card in person at a show, it makes the buying decision much easier, because then I'm buying the card, and not the scan. By the way, there are a few cards that I thought were great in the upcoming auctions, but I won't say which ones they are

Here are some Goudeys I bought at the National. All are in PSA holders.

Here are the two in GAI holders. The Lazzeri looks like it has a major problem on the bottom left corner. In person, it doesn't look that bad, but that is still a possible problem if I am going to try to get it into a PSA holder.

I had previously contacted Elliot and we had agreed to try to meet at Scott's table. I went over there not knowing anyone, and Scott told me that Elliott had just left. I missed him on Thursday. I tried again twice on Friday, and missed him both times too. But still, thanks a bunch to Scott for trying. Nice guy. I also meant Leon (and a few others, but forgot their names, sorry) who seems like a great guy. Leon wondered why I didn't want to use my real name in this forum, I just wasn't comfortable for now, maybe in the future. Just a paranoid guy I guess.

I met another high end Goudey collector - even more high end than me, and we exchanged some interesting stories. Actually, I don't think my stories were that interesting, but his stories were definitely very interesting to me. He was also able to find one of the cards he was missing in high grade, and I was almost as happy for him as I was for the cards I found myself!

All the dealers I talked to were cordial, nice and easy going. Everyone gave a discount (some small, some large) off of their listed prices. All one has to do is ask "how much are you asking for?" even if the price was listed on the card. There were some dealers I knew I had a better grasp of the market prices than they did, as they were still fumbling for SMR and not realizing some of the pop and other issues. But I'm assuming they bought their cards at an even lower price, so everyone is happy.

I also picked up a couple of W551 cards and a complete high-end 1960 Fleer set (only 2 graded cards though). The W551s were Frank Baker and Walter Johnson, which I'll scan later on. I showed them to Leon, because I wasn't completely confident they weren't counterfeit. Leon said he wasn't an expert on them, but after looking at them, he was sure they weren't based on their aged look. Thanks Leon.

I had a great time. Thanks to everyone. My bank account is much smaller, but I'm very happy.

Old 07-30-2005, 04:02 PM
Administrator

Posted By: dennis

those are great goudy's! i'm buying the stars(minor)in good to vg/ex due to my limited budget.that cuyler is wonderful,it is the first goudey card i ever owned and everytime i see one it makes me realise what a wonderful set that it is.i live about 40 miles west of chicago (far west burbs) and it takes a while to get anywhere as the HGWYS. here are not that wide as say LA.i would have liked to have gone but work and lack of funds kept me far away. keep posting those scans of your 33's.

Old 07-30-2005, 04:09 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Greg Ecklund

Very nice cards! The color and focus on those are great. I really like the look of the Lazzeri - it has always been a favorite of mine, though I haven't picked one up yet.

Thanks for sharing your finds.

Old 07-30-2005, 04:12 PM
Administrator

There was a bunch of raw Goudeys at many tables too. Alot of them at reasonable prices. Too bad you can't make it, you still have tomorrow though!

One of these cards is a PSA 6, guess which one?

Interestingly, 4 of the cards I picked up are in the Mastro auction at the same grade. So I will quickly know if I got a fair price or not.

Old 07-30-2005, 04:20 PM
Administrator

i'd guess the huebbel is a 6.

Old 07-30-2005, 07:21 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave H

Hey congratultations on your trip. I am a fellow Goudey collector and have even won some of your eBay auctions. Good to see you made progress on your set. I hope to be at the National next year or even the eastern national next month!

Old 07-30-2005, 11:17 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Elliot

Sorry i wasn't able to hook up with you. I was in Chicago with my family and that limited my time at the show. Did I miss you at the dinner? Those are some wonderful Goudeys that you picked up at the show. I didn't purchase a single Goudey as i had limited time and some other things that i was looking for.

P.S. I see that you were still able to purchase some WWG's on ebay.

Old 07-31-2005, 04:30 AM
Administrator

Dennis is right, the Hubbel is the 6.

Elliot, no problem, family always comes first! I have been picking up WWG here and there, but very tough to find. I was able to pick up one card in VG condition for my 33 set at the National, only 3 left to go.

Old 07-31-2005, 05:33 AM
Administrator

which 3 are you missing?

Old 07-31-2005, 06:22 AM
Administrator

I'm missing the following 33 WWG:

74 Leo Durocher
76 George Walberg