NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 07-21-2018, 09:33 PM
Michael

Default Donald Trump opinion

My 7 month old grandson, Isaac, sent out his first autograph request and this just came 3 months later. I haven't seen it in person yet but my son who is a collector says it doesn't appear to be preprinted on the picture or letter. What do you think? Ghost signed? Auto pen? Real? Let me know your opinion please. No political comments please
trump.jpg
Old 07-21-2018, 10:04 PM
5t3v3...D4.w50n

The signatures are different.

If I were to guess, I'd say the letter is autopenned, and the photo is probably authentically signed. The straightness of the lines in the letter signature just looks to "perfect" to me.

Steve

Current Wantlist:
1909 Obak Howard (Los Angeles) (no frame on back)
1910 E90-2 Gibson, Hyatt, Maddox
Old 07-21-2018, 10:12 PM
5t3v3...D4.w50n

In fact, here's a match to your letter, that I just found at http://www.stephenkoschal.com/news.html.

http://www.stephenkoschal.com/Trump-Autopen-3.jpg

Steve

Edited to add image.

Current Wantlist:

Last edited by Steve D; 07-21-2018 at 10:23 PM.
Old 07-21-2018, 10:58 PM
Michael

Default trump

thanks Steve= great find on the letter. that would be great if picture is real.
Old 07-22-2018, 05:28 AM
Matthew
Ma.tt Wy.llie

They both look like autopen. The picture looks like the same temple as the letter but compressed into a smaller size.
Old 07-22-2018, 02:34 PM
Steve Zarelli

The likelihood of getting an authentic signature from a sitting president is extremely low. Of course anything is possible, but I suspect the photograph is either an Autopen or a printed signature. Can’t make any sort of definitive determination based upon this low resolution photo.
Old 07-22-2018, 02:37 PM
Josh Adams

This is most likely autopenned.

I worked in the White House in the late 90s, and virtually all of the correspondence from the public was autopenned.
Very cool piece nonetheless.
Old 07-22-2018, 03:49 PM
5t3v3...D4.w50n

I did a bit more looking, and I now think the signature on your photo is a match with this autopen, also at the link I posted above:

Steve

Current Wantlist:

Last edited by Steve D; 07-22-2018 at 03:51 PM.
Old 07-22-2018, 04:10 PM
Michael

How close to autopens have to be? My grandsons letter is close to Steves posted but not 100%. The picture is close to the other one posted but with the picture in hand I can point out many small differences. Do autopens change pens once in a while so you get minor differences or are there multiple autopen machines? I had Joe Montana and Elway autopens that were 100% similar but these aren't 100%. What do you think
Old 07-22-2018, 05:51 PM
Shelly Jaf.fe

Your Republicans?
Thought you where in europe? Can we get together to see your stuff ?
last question. When are you back to Hawaii/
Old 07-22-2018, 06:32 PM
Banned

Ready for the ban hammer, but cannot pass on the low hanging fruit. IMO, he is the worst President ever, and has made a mockery of women's rights, civil rights, the Constitution, and everything this country ideally stands for. Can't wait for the midterms.

Been nice mostly lurking.
Old 07-22-2018, 06:38 PM
Mike Navarro

Quote:
Originally Posted by theshleps View Post
How close to autopens have to be? My grandsons letter is close to Steves posted but not 100%. The picture is close to the other one posted but with the picture in hand I can point out many small differences. Do autopens change pens once in a while so you get minor differences or are there multiple autopen machines? I had Joe Montana and Elway autopens that were 100% similar but these aren't 100%. What do you think
Old school autopens showed some variations as the matrices that guided the pen would wear down with use. Plus, if the user moves the paper slightly or the paper moves slightly, there will be small variations. Also, different writing implements can cause different thicknesses, and other slight variations.
Old 07-22-2018, 06:45 PM
Chris

With the large amount of mail some people get, is it possible there would be multiple autopen machines for each person? I'm assuming it's a manual feed process and multiple people would be working on replies.
Old 07-22-2018, 07:15 PM
Steve Zarelli

Quote:
How close to autopens have to be? My grandsons letter is close to Steves posted but not 100%. The picture is close to the other one posted but with the picture in hand I can point out many small differences. Do autopens change pens once in a while so you get minor differences or are there multiple autopen machines?
Autopens can vary slightly based on armature vibration, the item slipping as it is being fed through, the template wearing, etc. It's a myth that "autopens have to be a 100% exact match."

The signatures below are the same Autopen patterns, likely signed within minutes of each other. Note the differences... the G of Gene, R of Ron, E of Evans, etc.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Apollo+17+Autopens.jpg (69.5 KB, 514 views)
Old 07-22-2018, 08:03 PM
Michael

Default Steve

those are really big differences. makes it very hard to discern when something is an autopen
Old 07-23-2018, 06:35 AM
Steve Zarelli

Quote:
those are really big differences. makes it very hard to discern when something is an autopen
This is kind of an extreme example, but it illustrates the point well. I can't tell you how many times I've told someone their item was an Autopen, and they will argue it's not an Autopen based on a tiny variance from a published pattern.
Old 07-23-2018, 06:53 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by sago View Post
Ready for the ban hammer, but cannot pass on the low hanging fruit. IMO, he is the worst President ever, and has made a mockery of women's rights, civil rights, the Constitution, and everything this country ideally stands for. Can't wait for the midterms.

Been nice mostly lurking.
buh bye. Don't let the door hit you in the arse....
Old 07-23-2018, 09:12 AM
Manny
Banned

Definitely an autopen. I sent a TTM request to Bill Gates when I was a kid and he sent me back a glossy signed photo and a signed letter on Microsoft letterhead. I discovered both were autopens years later. I'm sure Trump's staff handles all TTM requests as a courtesy to his fans.

Also, this signature is probably a stylized version of his real signature, made to look nice. They took all the elements of his full signature and created an archetypal version for the autopen machine. Think of Arnold Palmer's signature on his golf courses, Ronald Reagan's signature on the cover of his autobiography, etc. His real signature would be much sloppier and differ a bit more from known examples. His campaign trail signature was basically a line of zig zags.

Last edited by SetBuilder; 07-23-2018 at 09:12 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 07-23-2018, 09:24 AM
Manny
Banned

I just noticed. Look at the date.

July 16, 2018. He was in Helsinki meeting with Putin.

Couldn't possibly have signed that letter.
Old 07-23-2018, 02:05 PM
Michael

sounds like we have autopens only. the photo wasnt dated and he was home the 17th but that is being overly optomistic
Old 07-23-2018, 03:01 PM
Michael I.

I sent Mr Trump auto requests in mid 90"s and got these back. what do you guys think?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg attachment.jpg (76.4 KB, 506 views)
Old 07-23-2018, 05:39 PM
Steve Zarelli

I believe that is secretary.
Old 07-23-2018, 05:58 PM
Michael

Default trump

these were in person maybe 2007
ZZZ Trump 2004 UD #89.jpg

ZZZ Trump 2004 UD 90.jpg
Old 07-23-2018, 08:20 PM
Pete Sycks

Most sitting Presidents don't sign as mentioned above. I've written foundations of previous Presidents and most will sign their books through the mail, but nothing outside of that. I'd love to have a baseball from most of them.

http://syckscards.weebly.com

Always looking for 1938 Goudey's
Old 07-23-2018, 08:48 PM
Dan Bretta

How could anyone tell if his signature is legit. There does not seem to be any consistency in the number of peaks in his first and last name.
Old 07-23-2018, 09:43 PM
Weingarten's Vintage

Default Trump

Seismometer

Www.weingartensvintage.com

https://www.facebook.com/WeingartensVintage

http://www.psacard.com/Articles/Arti...ben-weingarten

ALWAYS BUYING BABE RUTH RED SOX TYPE 1 PHOTOGRAPHS--->To add to my collection
Old 07-23-2018, 09:52 PM
5t3v3...D4.w50n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Young View Post
Seismometer

I've always likened Trump's signature, to a city skyline. He did make his money building skyscrapers.

Here's another signature (autopen) that looks like a seismograph reading (it's astronaut Jeffrey Hoffman):

Steve

Current Wantlist:

Last edited by Steve D; 07-23-2018 at 09:57 PM.
Old 07-24-2018, 08:09 AM
Steve Zarelli

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidekellyslide View Post
How could anyone tell if his signature is legit. There does not seem to be any consistency in the number of peaks in his first and last name.
It is a challenge. I've been studying it for a while and it took some time before I felt like I was getting a handle on it. I'm not claiming to be an expert, but I can sort it out most of the time.

Don't count peaks and valleys. It's not reliable.

Real examples have the sharp, jagged appearance seen in the in-person cards above. Trump is also very consistent in angle and slant.

There are a few secretaries in play. The secretaries tend to be slightly softer in the angles. In the through the mail index cards above, note the rounded bottom of the D and the softer curves along the baseline. Also, the secretary doesn't tower the D, J and T as high above the other letters.

His signature evolved significantly from the 80s to now. I focus on full name signatures and won't waste time with the abbreviated campaign trail signatures. In my view, those cannot be reliably authenticated in many cases.
Old 07-24-2018, 10:12 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by sycks22 View Post
Most sitting Presidents don't sign as mentioned above. I've written foundations of previous Presidents and most will sign their books through the mail, but nothing outside of that. I'd love to have a baseball from most of them.
I was watching the President-signed baseballs in the recent Hunt auction but couldn't touch any of the ones I was interested in.

A lot of collectors like Ike!
Old 07-24-2018, 10:27 AM
Manny
Banned

Trump likes to write in all capital letters, so when viewing the zig-zags as capital letters, his signature can be quite legible at times. But there only seems to be a structure to the zig-zags when he's trying to be neat.

Here is one of his nicer examples. I think it's from the guestbook at the Holocaust museum.

As you can see, his first and last name is readable.

Sometimes though, he just draws zig-zagging lines with no rhyme or reason which don't correspond to letters at all. Some can go on for a while in a long line before he ends it with the final letter P in his last name.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dontrumpsig.jpg (30.3 KB, 406 views)
Old 07-27-2018, 10:08 PM
Joe F.ey

I just purchased a large signed book and photo collection. The collection was from a doctor in NYC who attended charity dinners for years and there are as many signed programs and playbills as books included. The collection is less sports and more politics/celebrity related. Ironically, I was surprised to find a few Trump items mixed in with some of the less valuable celebrities - I guess the guy forgot about them...it was a nice surprise.

Just had to share since I saw this thread...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BB00DED6-D806-4A0E-A27A-B1F61FF25D61.jpg (15.9 KB, 426 views)
Old 07-30-2018, 08:19 AM
Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Obviously the misinformed Sago doesn't live in Texas.
Old 07-30-2018, 11:54 AM

Quote:
A bit harsh for a first "offense," wouldn't you say, Leon?
Old 07-30-2018, 03:34 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Atkatz View Post
A bit harsh for a first "offense," wouldn't you say, Leon?
no...
Banishment isn't always permanent. But to flagrantly say you know you are going to be banned for doing something that will get you banned, and then doing it anyway, well, I would say he got exactly what he wanted and knew he was going to get. I wish they were all this black and white. Unfortunately they aren't. Hope that clarifies my thought on it?
Old 07-30-2018, 05:04 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
no...
Banishment isn't always permanent. But to flagrantly say you know you are going to be banned for doing something that will get you banned, and then doing it anyway, well, I would say he got exactly what he wanted and knew he was going to get. I wish they were all this black and white. Unfortunately they aren't. Hope that clarifies my thought on it?
Hard to argue with that. He got the banishment he knew he deserved.
Old 07-31-2018, 08:51 AM
Richard Simon

Since I do not want to be banished I will keep my opinions about Trump to myself, FB and my circle of family and friends .

But Leon, I do belong to a photography forum which has a section called The Attic. You can post anything in there that you want to including politics, religion, sex, drugs and rock n roll, etc. Whoever wants to read those posts can and if you do not want to read about those subjects you just avoid it.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 07-31-2018, 12:46 PM
Belltown Vintage

I like the fact that this is one of the few forums that does NOT provide such opportunities to increase my blood pressure.
Old 07-31-2018, 01:20 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

We have always preferred to let people argue politics elsewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardSimon View Post
Since I do not want to be banished I will keep my opinions about Trump to myself, FB and my circle of family and friends .

But Leon, I do belong to a photography forum which has a section called The Attic. You can post anything in there that you want to including politics, religion, sex, drugs and rock n roll, etc. Whoever wants to read those posts can and if you do not want to read about those subjects you just avoid it.

Last edited by Leon; 07-31-2018 at 01:20 PM.
Old 07-31-2018, 01:24 PM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Quote:
...and many of us here thank you for that Leon. This is one of the few places I can get away from all the Political BS.
Old 07-31-2018, 02:17 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

I agree. There are more than enough other places to go and debate politics if and when one wants.

Personally, I'd prefer not to know anyone's politics on this board, and am happy for others not to now mine.

Last edited by drcy; 07-31-2018 at 02:23 PM.
Old 07-31-2018, 02:18 PM
M@tt McC@rthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcy View Post
I agree. There are more than enough other places to go and debate politics and religion if and when one wants.

Personally, I'd prefer not to know anyone's politics on this board, and am happy for others not to now mine.

Amen!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I collect Hal Chase, Diamond Stars (PSA 5 or better), 1951 Bowman (Raw Ex or better), 1954 Topps (PSA 7 or better), 1956 Topps (Raw Ex or better), 3x5 Hall of Fame Autographs and autographed Perez Steele Postcards. You can see my collection by going to http://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/BigSix.
Old 07-31-2018, 03:03 PM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Quote:
I agree. There are more than enough other places to go and debate politics if and when one wants.

Agreed.

My mother always told me to never discuss politics or religion in public as everyone already has an opinion you will never change and it is as fruitful as banging your head against a wall and hoping it will start to feel good.

I once made a slip years ago, not doing it again. Thanks to Leon for keeping it this way and eliminating the building of ill-will against another forum member simply because they disagreed in the voting booth.

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.
Old 07-31-2018, 03:48 PM
Br.ent So.bie

Quote:

Here here!
Old 07-31-2018, 05:55 PM
J0n@th@n P@rker

Quote:
i agree. There are more than enough other places to go and debate politics if and when one wants.

Personally, i'd prefer not to know anyone's politics on this board, and am happy for others not to now mine.
+1000
Old 07-31-2018, 07:08 PM
Michael

thanks. I started the post and specificaaly said No political comments please.
Old 07-31-2018, 07:26 PM
Mike Navarro

I've got 15 or so Trumps and they've been very difficult to sell, but all of the sudden over the past couple of weeks I've sold 2 and had a few other inquiries.

Good to see that turning around finally.

If you are interested in any feel free to click the link in my sig line and ferret around on my page.

Last edited by thenavarro; 07-31-2018 at 07:31 PM.
Old 08-01-2018, 04:37 PM
Manny
Banned

Politics is now a sport. Turn on all the nightly political shows and they look like ESPN Sportscenter. Tickers, roundtable discussions, analysis...pretty soon they'll bring out the telestrator and start drawing on the screen when a politician is giving a speech.
Old 08-05-2018, 01:24 AM
"Thumbs Down Guy"

Quote:
That being the case, perhaps you should change the name of this thread to "Donald Trump autograph opinion." "Donald Trump opinion," by itself, sounds like it's going to be an opinion about Donald Trump.
Old 08-05-2018, 08:56 AM
Christopher Williams

Quote:

I doubt if anyone gets as feverish as myself when it comes to politics!!!

I, for one, am very happy that I can get away from it here.
Old 08-05-2018, 09:26 AM
Scott Russell

I made the mistake of assuming a fellow dealer was simpatico with my political viewpoint. While we're still friendly, my mistake definitely strained our relationship. Lesson learned.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions