NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

View Poll Results: Is your T205 Matty raw or graded?
Raw 24 29.63%
Graded 57 70.37%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-23-2018, 07:57 PM

Default What percentage are graded?

A while ago we had a thread about the percentage of pre-war cards that are graded. The consensus seemed to be that it's in the low single-digits. And that's got to be right. However, anyone who is curious about this question is not interested in low-grade Heinie Groh strip cards. They're interested in significant cards. This is harder to figure a priori, so I thought that a poll is in order.

So the question for the poll: if you have a T205 Matty, is it graded or raw? If you have more than one, put your best one in the poll and then mention any other(s) in the comments.

I picked the T205 Matty because it's a significant but not a rare card. So we should get a decently sized sample. I also picked it because I don't have one, so I'm not biasing the results any.

One downside I can see to picking this card is that T205 is a popular set for set builders, and plenty of set builders like to keep their cards in binders, so the proportion of raw T205 cards is probably greater than for cards from sets that people don't build.

Another problem with doing a poll like this here is that I gather that the people on the board are not casual baseball card collectors, so you folks are really not a random sample. On the other hand, collecting pre-war baseball cards isn't the sort of thing that people tend to do casually - so maybe skewing the sample towards serious collectors isn't that big of a deal.
Old 09-23-2018, 08:12 PM
Brian

I have 2 both graded the lesser grade is the Cycle variation.
Old 09-23-2018, 08:17 PM

I would say that the percentage on here with graded cards is going to be much higher than the general population. Active collectors are more likely to have graded cards than older inactive collectors.
Old 09-24-2018, 09:06 AM
Michael G0nz@lez

My best one is graded. I have one raw as well.

See the Want List for "Successful net54 transactions" list.
Old 09-25-2018, 08:25 AM

Do not have this card, but if I did, it will likely be raw.
Old 09-25-2018, 11:22 AM

Default just a hunch...

I could be wrong, but of the raw T205 Matty's I bet the majority would be equivalent to third party grades of 4 or less. Of the true honest EX 5 or better, possibly a higher percentage are slabbed. Same goes for the major HOF'ers in the T206's.
Old 09-26-2018, 09:48 AM

I collected the set and all the T205s are in a binder. The Matty is EX.

Last edited by tbob; 09-26-2018 at 09:48 AM.
Old 09-29-2018, 03:26 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

My continuing partial set is a mix of raw and graded as I plod along. The Matty is graded. I have to think that higher end HOF'ers have a higher percentage of them being graded too. So another question might be more broad and only ask how many T205s are graded vs ungraded? And I think the original hypothesis that there are more folks doing the T205 set than some more obscure ones, set builders like binders and binders are more conducive to raw cards. Therefore, there might be a higher percentage of raw T205s than others, is accurate too. I guess there are approx. 6-12%, known T205s which are graded. Of known Matty's I think you could triple that number. Those are wild guesses because who really knows?

Last edited by Leon; 09-29-2018 at 03:28 PM.
Old 09-30-2018, 11:59 AM
Paul Herbener

I’ve got 3 higher ones graded and a lower (fair) Piedmont 42 ungraded.
Old 09-30-2018, 09:53 PM

The poll has been running for a week, it sounds like a good time to try to draw some conclusions.

Including those mentioned in the thread, 66% of the T205 Mattys represented here are graded. There were a total of 80 cards reported.

rats60 is thinking that inactive collectors (who aren't reading net54) are less likely to have graded cards. So maybe 66% is an over-estimation. On the other hand, for sets that are less set-builder-friendly, you'd expect a higher percentage to be graded. (The hazard of doing a poll on a card from a non-set-builder-friendly set is that the sample reported wouldn't be big enough to generalize from.) So we have two considerations that are external to the poll, which would push the results in opposite directions.

So even if the over all percentage of pre-war cards that are graded is very small (and it must be), it seems that the percentage of significant pre-war cards that are graded is pretty healthy. Maybe even >50%, if the population of non-active collectors isn't too big.
Old 10-01-2018, 05:43 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I think there are a LOT of collectors who don't do grading and don't do internet (forums.) That number is shrinking daily though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nat View Post
The poll has been running for a week, it sounds like a good time to try to draw some conclusions.

Including those mentioned in the thread, 66% of the T205 Mattys represented here are graded. There were a total of 80 cards reported.

rats60 is thinking that inactive collectors (who aren't reading net54) are less likely to have graded cards. So maybe 66% is an over-estimation. On the other hand, for sets that are less set-builder-friendly, you'd expect a higher percentage to be graded. (The hazard of doing a poll on a card from a non-set-builder-friendly set is that the sample reported wouldn't be big enough to generalize from.) So we have two considerations that are external to the poll, which would push the results in opposite directions.

So even if the over all percentage of pre-war cards that are graded is very small (and it must be), it seems that the percentage of significant pre-war cards that are graded is pretty healthy. Maybe even >50%, if the population of non-active collectors isn't too big.