NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present)

Old 12-12-2023, 06:34 AM

Default 1991 Topps DS Poly Pack Wrappers

Has anyone ever opened (to confirm true DS cards are inside) a 1991 Topps Pack wrapped in polypropolene wrappers?

It occurred to me that Topps was experimenting with a number of production methods (wrappers, last year of gum)/printing (UV brightener) during the production of this set (and therefore has a lot of variations) including wrapping card packs in polypropolene wrappers instead of wax paper.

I have seen a number of DS packs - but they are all wrapped in wax. Anyone?

-Z
Old 12-12-2023, 07:08 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach Wheat View Post
Has anyone ever opened (to confirm true DS cards are inside) a 1991 Topps Pack wrapped in polypropolene wrappers?

It occurred to me that Topps was experimenting with a number of production methods (wrappers, last year of gum)/printing (UV brightener) during the production of this set (and therefore has a lot of variations) including wrapping card packs in polypropolene wrappers instead of wax paper.

I have seen a number of DS packs - but they are all wrapped in wax. Anyone?

-Z
Did they use polypropylene wrappers on the regular issue and if so what is the difference?
Old 12-12-2023, 10:01 AM
Dylan

I cant speak for DS with certainty but I do believe that they all came from wax/paper packs.

As for the regular cards, I have not observed any major difference in contents between poly or wax wrapper packs. I think the same combinations of err/cor cards can be found in both, save for the possibility of a few rarer variations only found in specific types of packaging.

Oddball, promos and variations:http://www.comc.com/Users/JunkWaxGems,sr
Old 12-12-2023, 12:08 PM
Steve Birmingham

I would like to mention that while the 91s are the most obvious, the backs reacting to UV or not goes back much farther, at least the mid 1980's.
Old 12-13-2023, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
I would like to mention that while the 91s are the most obvious, the backs reacting to UV or not goes back much farther, at least the mid 1980's.
Thanks Steve, didn't know that. Why do you think they printed some of the set with UV brighteners added to the red ink and some of the set without?

One of the oddities of the set.
Old 12-13-2023, 07:26 AM
Joe W.
J0seph Wi.er

All of the stat back box variations I found were discovered in jumbo cellos

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-13-2023, 07:32 AM
β∪τ∁ℏ †∪RΩεΓ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach Wheat View Post
Thanks Steve, didn't know that. Why do you think they printed some of the set with UV brighteners added to the red ink and some of the set without?

One of the oddities of the set.
JMHO. I doubt they even considered that there were UV brighteners in the ink. It just matched what they needed and they used it.

A complete WAG on my part.

Butch.

Completed: 1969 - 2000 Topps Baseball Sets and Traded Sets.

Senators and Frank Howard fan.

I collect Topps baseball variations -- I can quit anytime I want to.....I DON'T WANT TO.
Old 12-13-2023, 07:34 AM
β∪τ∁ℏ †∪RΩεΓ

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4reals View Post
All of the stat back box variations I found were discovered in jumbo cellos

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ugh, thanks Joe. ;-)

If the boxes of cellos that I have left are jumbo, I know what I will be doing this weekend. "Lookin' for Cal in all the wrong places, searching for Cal in so many faces."

Butch

Completed: 1969 - 2000 Topps Baseball Sets and Traded Sets.

Senators and Frank Howard fan.

I collect Topps baseball variations -- I can quit anytime I want to.....I DON'T WANT TO.

Last edited by butchie_t; 12-13-2023 at 07:35 AM.
Old 12-13-2023, 10:29 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by butchie_t View Post
JMHO. I doubt they even considered that there were UV brighteners in the ink. It just matched what they needed and they used it.

A complete WAG on my part.

Butch.
That would be my thinking too. Multiple plants, some using ink with a brightener, some not.
To make it worse, there are some that react with a very dark red color. under specific UV wavelengths. They're much less common, although it is possible I just didn't get batches from the right source.

Why that is for sets that are older I'm not sure. It's much less pronounced, and affects green as well as orange.
I plan on going through all years after the holidays to get an idea of how far back this goes. I do know that many sets have dull or bright back colors under normal light.