NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-02-2010, 05:38 PM
Tony Quinn

Default T206 Population Questions

Sorry if this is an already asked question (or stupid too). Is there some kind of report available as to the ease-difficulty of finding the various cards in the t206 set? My question has NOTHING to do with backs, errors, variations, proofs etc. I am strictly interested in knowing where each card ranks on a scale as to the difficulty in finding a particular player regardless of anything other than the card itself. I guess the question in modern terms would be are any "short prints"? I am especially interested in "commons" as opposed to HOF'ers. If the posters would like to rank a top 5 or 10 of the toughest to find cards in their opinion that would be very interesting also. Old Cradboard did a M116 Sporting Life chart like I am thinking of as an example.
Thanks in advance!
Old 02-02-2010, 07:29 PM
Craig Wright

If I understand you correctly, you're more interested in the actually numerical scarcity of a card rather than it being a grade rarity. For example, most T206 with Polar Bear backs are fairly easy to obtain, in the P to Ex grade range. But it would be very rare to find one in NM-Mint grade.

It's been my experience that most T206 are available. Of course, for a few, you'll have to pay 10's of thousands to 100's of thousands to obtain one. It's fairly normal for several of the Big Four (Wags, Doyle, Plank, Magie) to show up in major auctions from time to time. There's nothing stopping a person from picking one up except for the $$$.

The next two would be Demmitt and O'Hara St. Louisians. They were only printed with Polar Bear backs, in equal distribution with other polar bear backs. So, if Polar Bears were the only back on T206's, these wouldn't be rare. But, because other cards were also printed with Piedmont, Sweet Cap, etc backs, they make the Demmit and O'hara less prevalent in the overall distribution of T206's. On ebay, I'd say they show up in low grade at least monthly, but again it is the $$ that determines who gets 'em.

So, if we can put Demitt and O'hara STL's in with Wags, Doyle, Plank, Magie, we have the Big Six.

Next come the Small Six:

George Brown Batting Washington
Bill Dahlen Portrait Brooklyn
Kid Elberfeld Portrait Washington

Brown and Dahlen are 350 series that only made it onto a few of the 350 backs - Pied, OM, Sov, and 2 SCs. I don't believe they made it onto AB, BL, Cyc, Drm, EPDG, PB, or Tolstoi Backs. Poor Kid Elberfeld did even worse, he only appears on the Pied, OM, and one of the SC backs.

Carl Lundgren Ready to Throw Chi Cubs

Lundgren only appears on P150, P350, and EPDG backs, whereas his colleagues in the 150 - 350(Rare) Group managed to get on some Brown Hindus, Sovs, and up to three different SCs.

Red Kleinow Catching Boston Red Sox
Frank Smith White Cap Chi & Bos

The Kleinow and the Smith are 460-only subjects but in theory share a 460 series back profile with 350/360 RP subjects.

Of the Southern Leaguers, Ed Foster has the impression of being rare, but I don't really believe he's anymore scarce than other southern leaguers. I believe there is some hording of Foster cards in order to drive the value up, but I have no proof (and since I have my OMSL & P350 Foster, I don't really care!)

I won't comment on the rarity of Nodgrass, Murr'y, or Dopner since I believe these were unintentional print freaks that were not meant to be and were soon corrected.

As far has the T206 commons go, inevitably, the one you end up needing to complete a subset or team set or whatever will be the toughest darn card to find! Something to do with Murphy's law. I put together an all polar bear back set last year and nearly finished it by mid-summer, but still needed two cards: Abbattichio Blue Sleeves and Camnitz Hands Over Head. I had previously seen them so I knew they existed. Finally, a couple of weeks ago I found and picked up the Abbattichio. I'm still looking for the Camnitz.

There are a lot of great people on this forumn that can give you a far better explanation than I can, but I hope this at least helps the discussion get started.

best regards,
craig
Old 02-02-2010, 07:49 PM
Paul

Default Scot Reader's Inside T206

....Is a must read and has all the scarcity analysis you are looking for. Just google it and you'll find it available as a free .pdf download.

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206