NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-25-2014, 10:42 AM
Mi_ch.ael Bo,rk_in

Default The World According to Mr. Mint

I was reading Sports Collectors Digest this week and saw the latest advertisement from Mr. Mint.

I had a little extra time so I read his 8 listed accomplishments in the full page advertisement.

He claims that he has "spent over 150 million dollars in vintage cards and related memorabilia" during the past 30 years.

That seems pretty high. To put that into proper context, that is an average of $5,000,000 a year. Considering that the REA spring auction does about 10 million dollars, that means that Mr. Mint, Al Rosen, purchases the equivalent of half the REA catalog every single year! If Al Rosen is not paying winning auction-house pricing, than he needs to purchase a lot more to spend an average of 5 million a year.

Do you think he's blowing smoke or is he the undisputed greatest buyer of sports memorabilia in the hobby?

This is the same guy that won't reply to any of my emails when he announces his show schedule and I politely ask him to keep an eye out for a ring that I may need from the city and team that he is due to visit.
Old 08-25-2014, 10:47 AM
Peter Spaeth

In further context that is over $12,000 per DAY.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 08-25-2014, 11:01 AM
Ja.son Hugh.es

That's chump change, just ask him. It always used to make me laugh out loud when I would see people approach his booth back in the day and ask for his autograph. Whether it was his book or on one of the many trinkets he used to hand out. In full disclosure, I buy and sell autographs, but seriously a baseball card dealer? Jason
Old 08-25-2014, 11:03 AM
Mike

The claim is even more remarkable. He says he spent $150M/$5M a year/$12K a day. REA's $10M is prices realized, no? Mr. Mint claims that he spent that much. He obviously would have a large out-going dollar figure.
Old 08-25-2014, 11:38 AM
Rich Klein

Al used to publish his tax return (with the SSN blacked out, etc) in SCD each year to quell the people who doubted him. If he is not at $150MM spent over the years, I'll bet he's darned close.

Rich
Old 08-25-2014, 11:50 AM
Daryl

In the Tango Eggs thread, there were a few posts about Mr. Mint advertising them in SCD after the find, but no one received callbacks to be able to actually buy any. I've also read that he doesn't sell - only buys - at shows. Where does Mr. Mint sell? Has anyone here ever purchased from him?
Old 08-25-2014, 11:54 AM
"Thumbs Down Guy"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duluth Eskimo View Post
It always used to make me laugh out loud when I would see people approach his booth back in the day and ask for his autograph. Whether it was his book or on one of the many trinkets he used to hand out. In full disclosure, I buy and sell autographs, but seriously a baseball card dealer? Jason
Hey, you never know. Seriously, there may come a time when people will want to break out into various - I don't know if this is an appropriate word - "fringe" aspects of sports and sports memorabilia. Don West, the former Shop At Home pitchman, actually has his own autographed cards from his post-SAH career as a TNA Wrestling announcer, but I was interested in them because of his SAH notoriety.

If there are people who want Alan Rosen's autograph, and he's willing to give it to them (for free), more power to 'em. On the other hand, I can understand how seeking out a dealer's autograph can be seen as silly, and just as I stand up for those who might want to get such an autograph, I also respect the opinions of those who wouldn't add them to their collections even if the dealers paid them.
Old 08-25-2014, 11:56 AM
And.rew Whi.te

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4815162342 View Post
In the Tango Eggs thread, there were a few posts about Mr. Mint advertising them in SCD after the find, but no one received callbacks to be able to actually buy any. I've also read that he doesn't sell - only buys - at shows. Where does Mr. Mint sell? Has anyone here ever purchased from him?
He sells but not just to the general public. He is a flipper and flips the deals he picks up at shows and gets those deals to the dealers he knows will have interest in what he has picked up and will pay good money for his "finds". I have seen this on numerous occasions when he has interrrupted a conversation I was having with a dealer only to butt in without even an "excuse me" and just lays the finds on the table and starts to negotiate with the dealer.
Old 08-25-2014, 12:03 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Dunaier View Post
Hey, you never know. Seriously, there may come a time when people will want to break out into various - I don't know if this is an appropriate word - "fringe" aspects of sports and sports memorabilia. Don West, the former Shop At Home pitchman, actually has his own autographed cards from his post-SAH career as a TNA Wrestling announcer, but I was interested in them because of his SAH notoriety.

If there are people who want Alan Rosen's autograph, and he's willing to give it to them (for free), more power to 'em. On the other hand, I can understand how seeking out a dealer's autograph can be seen as silly, and just as I stand up for those who might want to get such an autograph, I also respect the opinions of those who wouldn't add them to their collections even if the dealers paid them.
I hope Don West was a nice guy, cause Al Rosen was an a$$hole.
Old 08-25-2014, 01:32 PM
Jonathan Sterling

I have bought material from Al Rosen I have sold to Al Rosen and I have Cosigned to his auctions. Examples bought an 1871 Boston Program, a Lone star type. Being from NJ I set up next to Mr. Rosen at a small show in the 70's. I was half his age and he treated me like an equal he had questions and opinions like anyone else coming into the hobby at that time.
He was always drawn to Rare cards and had a knack for finding them that is unparalleled. NOTHING but respect for Al Rosen he has helped this hobby and done very well for himself. My only negative memory of Al is me still kicking myself for not saying yes when he asked me if I wanted a 61 Dice game May's for $100. I walked around room came back to his table to buy it and it was sold. (gonna have to let that go one of these days). And I have never know him to tell anything but the truth.
Jonathan Sterling
Old 08-25-2014, 01:53 PM

Xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Last edited by chris6net; 08-25-2014 at 02:32 PM.
Old 08-25-2014, 02:16 PM
GaryPassamonte

Jonathan-What is an 1871 Boston program? I'd like to see an image.
Old 08-25-2014, 02:38 PM
Rich.ard Dwy.er

Better question: Out of that 150 million dollars, how much did he low ball his customers? $149 million?

Last edited by rdwyer; 08-25-2014 at 02:41 PM.
Old 08-25-2014, 02:48 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Dunaier View Post
Hey, you never know. Seriously, there may come a time when people will want to break out into various - I don't know if this is an appropriate word - "fringe" aspects of sports and sports memorabilia.
If there are people who want Alan Rosen's autograph, and he's willing to give it to them (for free), more power to 'em.
Well, the 2015 Allen & Ginter product could have his signature as a celebrity. This year they had Dr. James Andrews relic (tie?) cards included in their set, along with Chef Anthony Bourdain and Mallrats director Kevin Smith.
Old 08-25-2014, 02:54 PM
Mike

Last time I seen him was years ago in the Detroit area yelling at the Hotel Receptionist about his air conditioner not working and that he wanted a complete refund on his bill. He is like "a bully", which we try to teach our kids not to be. He does turn over his buys fast, inventory is not good. Cash flow is !
Old 08-25-2014, 03:05 PM
David M.

The main items I remember him actually selling to the public were the 1952 Topps high numbers. He ran full page ads in SCD selling those cards for weeks. That's definately something I wish I could have afforded to buy from him!
Old 08-25-2014, 03:15 PM
K!ya S@bet

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdwyer View Post
Better question: Out of that 150 million dollars, how much did he low ball his customers? $149 million?
I am not sure why this is a bad thing. No one has to sell to him, if he makes an offer and people sell then it is on them. Obviously he is doing something right.

I don't like the guy in fact I think he is pretty despicable in his practices but every seller attempts to purchase items for as low as possible. Basic economics.
Old 08-25-2014, 03:18 PM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksabet View Post
I am not sure why this is a bad thing. No one has to sell to him, if he makes an offer and people sell then it is on them. Obviously he is doing something right.

I don't like the guy in fact I think he is pretty despicable in his practices but every seller attempts to purchase items for as low as possible. Basic economics.
+1...this is what any and every successful dealer does.
Old 08-25-2014, 03:37 PM
Banned

He used to sell many of his items to Brian Morris and Paul Lewicki. Someone told me that Joe Esposito is the main recipient of his current finds.

As far as him always telling the truth, I beg to differ. Getting his start by getting (stealing)Drakes Cakes sets out the backdoor of the factory, and being backed on the huge Post and Jello card find, I believe by Stephen Juskewycz, are very different than the trust fund story he enjoys telling.

D@v1d davls
Old 08-25-2014, 03:47 PM
keith janosky

I remember in SCD about 4 years ago he was going to retire but since I see him at the Chicago show 2 times a year since looks like that never happened. I also remmebr him crying about not getting the front spot at the Nationals a few years ago so he boycotted them and hasn't been there since. He probably thought the National would fold cause because he decided to never show up anymore. Boo Hoo

Last edited by keithsky; 08-25-2014 at 06:28 PM.
Old 08-25-2014, 05:11 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Default Mr. Mint & Me:

A few months ago, when I was agonizing over whether or not to buy Goudey #144, I said 'what the heck' , picked up the phone and called the number listed in his ad.

I could not have been more pleasantly surprised. Not only did Mr. Rosen answer the phone himself, he seemed more than happy to chat with me. When he said that he thought the specific card I was inquiring about was a good deal, it eased my mind enough to go forward with the deal.

I was just someone taking up his time and using his experience to get a valued opinion. He got nothing but the goodwill I am now sharing.

I did not buy the card from him and have never done business with him, but in my small experience, the man is a good guy. I treated him like a gentleman and got the same back from him.

Thanks Al !

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 08-25-2014, 05:22 PM
Archive

While walking into a National, he asked me once if I wanted his autograph. I replied with "Why would I want your autograph"?

That pretty much ended the conversation.
Old 08-25-2014, 05:29 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jantz View Post
While walking into a National, he asked me once if I wanted his autograph. I replied with "Why would I want your autograph"?

That pretty much ended the conversation.
LOLOLOLOL That's actually pretty funny.
Old 08-25-2014, 06:09 PM
T@yl0r $ch0ck

I met him at a local show about 10+ years ago and he couldn't have been nicer. I walked past his table and asked him how it was going. He said not bad but not a lot of people selling (obviously, there to buy) so it wasn't a great show for him so far. Didn't seem like a complaint to me, just a statement of fact. Then he asked if I had anything to sell. I told him not really and we probably spent the next 20+ minutes talking about the state of the hobby, grading cards, etc. May very well have been because he didn't have anything better to do and was in a good mood, but all-in-all a nice, friendly conversation. When I went to move on, he gave me a copy of his book and didn't even offer to autograph it, so I guess YMMV.
Old 08-25-2014, 06:12 PM
Dav1d Sh1p$ey

Never bought anything from him. Never sold anything to him. I have held 2 Honus cards in my life and 1 was at his table. The uncut strip Honus. So I am a fan of his. Not sure I am a big enough fan to want his autograph. If I did own his autograph, I would try to trade is for a Ted Z auto lol.
Old 08-25-2014, 06:15 PM
T@yl0r $ch0ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
+1...this is what any and every successful dealer does.
Yeah, and from some of the OBO stories I've heard here, what some 'collectors' do as well.

(Not directed at Pete, just a general comment)
Old 08-25-2014, 08:12 PM
D3nn!s B@!!ou

I've seen him set up at the west valley in in west warwick since I was 7. My impression is this, he is a very good business man who does at times rub people the wrong way but also can be very engaging. For all his wealth and success, I feel bad for him. I've watched him thumb through beautiful cards with very little joy whatsoever. It must take a lot to get him charged. I can still rummage through low grade commons for miscuts and registry errors and be thrilled at a 2 dollar purchase. There is a price to pay for turning a hobby into a career.
Old 08-25-2014, 08:24 PM
Joe M.

I set up at many shows where he was a table holder in Michigan. Very aggressive, but he was successful. Not a favorite of mine but had lots of cash and always carried a gun with him. He did buy and sell a bunch of cards.

Joe

Collecting Detroit 19th Century N172, N173, N175.
N172 Detroit. Getzein, McGlone, Rooks, Wheelock, Gillligan, Kid Baldwin Error, Lady Baldwin, Conway, Deacon White

Positive transactions with Joe G, Jay Miller, CTANK80, BIGFISH, MGHPRO, k. DIXON, LEON, INSIDETHEWRAPPER, GOCUBSGO32, Steve Suckow, RAINIER2004, Ben Yourg, GNAZ01, yanksrnice09, cmiz5290, Kris Sweckard (Kris19),Angyal, Chuck Tapia,Belfast1933,bcbgcbrcb,fusorcruiser, tsp06, cobbcobb13
Old 08-25-2014, 09:01 PM
Al

Default Alan

Back in my hay day when I was doing shows Alan was always set up at the Rothstein shows.(until a big blow out but thats a story for another day!) Alan was always a pain in the A$$ but we had alot of respect for each other. We would talk he would come to my table, with 100 dollar bills in tow. I did a few very big deals with Alan and one thing I can say when it came to getting paid for something, he really wanted there was no one faster than Alan. If you had something he wanted he usually paid very fair. I found one of the deals in my archives , I had to block out my personal info but let me tell you that was a big deal we did! 10% down I loved it! Wow almost 20 years ago!!

Trying is the first step towards failing, and failing is the first step towards success!

Life's lessons cost money Some lessons cost a lot..

Last edited by batsballsbases; 10-15-2014 at 08:25 AM.
Old 08-25-2014, 09:28 PM
Banned

Last edited by Rollingstone206; 10-11-2014 at 05:24 PM.
Old 08-25-2014, 09:34 PM

He used to do shows in St. Louis a long, long time ago. I remember him lurking outside in the hallway approaching people carrying boxes, hoping to make a buy before they entered the room. I believe he was asked not to come back after that. At a May 1984 show prior to the banishment, he was set up at a dealer table. I walked by and he asked if I had anything to sell. I said no I was just looking for items on my want list. He asked me what I was looking for and one of the cards on my list back then was a NM 1962 7th series checklist. To my astonishment, he turns around and pulls out a box of 1962 NM 7th series checklists. It was like a magic act. What he was doing with them, I have no idea, but I bought five of them for the whopping price of 50 cents each. I'll bet no one else ever bought anything from him for less than a dollar!
Old 08-26-2014, 07:55 AM
Joshua
J0shua Le.vine

I like Mr. Mint for one reason...he is a draw for people who sell...Back in my early days of collecting there used to be a big show once a year at the L.A. Convention Center. He would set up his table close to the door and people would come to sell to him. I figured out pretty quick that he was not interested in off-grade cards (especially small collections)...as people walked away from his table, I often asked what they had. I picked up some great off-grade cards like '53 Reese, '52 Robinson, '53 Mantle, e-101 Magee, etc. just by hanging around for an hour or so.

Of course, he thought I was poaching his sales and asked me to leave in a not so nice way but the promoter sided with me saying that competition is healthy.

At the National a few years later, I saw him set up again but he was buying everything and was turning the off-grade over to other dealers on the cheap (I think Bill Henderson was set up next to him and he got a bunch of stuff).

Joshua
Old 08-26-2014, 08:17 AM
Dan Bretta

I remember when he tried to take over the vintage Star Wars toys hobby....He and Josh Velinsky of Plastic Dreams in New Jersey even started an action figure grading company. I not only had to see his mug in the SCD, but also Toy Shop magazine.
Old 08-26-2014, 08:23 AM
Trae Regan

So that's where all the T206 Titus cards are going.
Old 08-26-2014, 10:12 AM
Rhett Yeakley

IMO there is not a bigger jerk in the hobby than Alan Rosen.

For a few years my brother and I would do the Pittsburgh (Robert Morris) show while I was going through Dental School and before the show would open the regular dealer traffic would stop at our table and make fairly sizable purchases. Alan was always there to make purchases and paid promptly (which was great) but if he wasn't the first one there you could see him getting seriously annoyed, and one year as I was just arriving he was at our table making himself at home going through the stuff we had just brought in and had not yet unpacked making a stack of stuff he wanted to purchase which was a bit annoying but he did buy stuff so no major problem.

Anyways, the last year I did the show Alan was not the first to our table but Terry Knouse Sr. was and I was consummating a deal with Terry when Alan began getting really annoyed and asked for his total and when I replied that I would be with him in just a second he threw my stuff on the table (pretty hard) and started yelling at me that I was an idiot and that that was a "hell of way to do business" with someone of his stature, never mind that I have done more business in my life with Terry. I told him he better leave or there would was going to be a problem.

While he may be nice at times and may increase traffic at a show I have never understood why the other dealers put up with his poaching of all walk-ins and his entitled attitude is not a good thing for the hobby. A complete waste of space that has seen his time as a dominating force in the hobby completely disappear.

ebay store: kryvintage-->https://www.ebay.com/sch/kryvintage/...p2047675.l2562

Last edited by rhettyeakley; 08-26-2014 at 10:46 AM.
Old 08-26-2014, 10:17 AM
Greg Ryk0w$k1

Never met the guy, but from reading all this, he sounds like quite the gem!

https://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/gregr2
Old 08-26-2014, 10:36 AM
Eric Pugh

Default mr mint - rosen

my mom taught me if I didn't have anything nice to say about someone not to say anything at all. so I'm not going to say anything at all about alan rosen.
Old 08-26-2014, 10:46 AM
Belltown Vintage

Wow, Rhett almost clocked a guy!?!
Old 08-26-2014, 10:49 AM
K&v!/\/ R@g$d@/3

At one time years ago he said he would be interested in buying my stuff , but would not sell me anything directly.
He is a polarizing figure in the hobby, but he did get it some big publicity in the 1990s that helped some parts of this hobby take off.
Old 08-26-2014, 10:52 AM
John P
Joh.n Per.rotta

Default Al Rosen

I have never met or had any dealings with Mr Rosen but I remember reading about the large purchase of 52 Topps High Number cases that he made and sold. So Many High Grade Mantles and cards came from that Find. He used to advertise all the items from the Great Finds that he made. After selling off a lot of these items I am sure that his profits were Huge and it would not surprise me if he spent all those millions on other purchases.

JP
Old 08-26-2014, 10:56 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klrdds View Post
At one time years ago he said he would be interested in buying my stuff , but would not sell me anything directly.
He is a polarizing figure in the hobby, but he did get it some big publicity in the 1990s that helped some parts of this hobby take off, ........
.....not to mention the 43 home runs he hit in '53.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 08-26-2014, 11:00 AM
Derek Granger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Econteachert205 View Post
For all his wealth and success, I feel bad for him. I've watched him thumb through beautiful cards with very little joy whatsoever. It must take a lot to get him charged. I can still rummage through low grade commons for miscuts and registry errors and be thrilled at a 2 dollar purchase. There is a price to pay for turning a hobby into a career.
Well said. I hope I never get to that point. I still get giddy over the small purchases. I'd hate to lose my passion for the hobby in exchange for greed/desire to make money. Trust me, I ain't making anything when I sell stuff.

HOF "Earliest" Collection (Ideal - Indiv): 244/342 (71.4%)
1914 T330-2 Piedmont Art Stamps......: 114/119 (95.8%)
1923 V100 Willard's Chocolate............: 177/180 (98.3%)
Old 08-26-2014, 11:17 AM
John P
Joh.n Per.rotta

Default Al Rosen

Well said. I hope I never get to that point. I still get giddy over the small purchases. I'd hate to lose my passion for the hobby in exchange for greed/desire to make money. Trust me, I ain't making anything when I sell stuff.

There is a Big difference between The Dealers and Collectors. We Collectors get Giddy over the items we collect. The Dealers get Giddy from the Money they get from us Collectors.

JP
Old 08-26-2014, 11:37 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnP0621 View Post

There is a Big difference between The Dealers and Collectors. We Collectors get Giddy over the items we collect. The Dealers get Giddy from the Money they get from us Collectors.

JP
Where did you learn all this?

There is a big difference between good people and assholes - it doesn't matter what they do for a living, or for fun.
Old 08-26-2014, 11:39 AM
Dave_Berg

In the late 90s he spent a weekend in KC buying from my dad and I. He stayed at a hotel but ate with us. He didn't complain about my mother's cooking, and for that alone I'll give him a pass
Old 08-26-2014, 12:35 PM
Karl Mattson

I used to talk to Rosen at shows and over the phone in the mid-'80s; sometimes he was very pleasant, sometimes less so. At the time I collected mostly Topps test issues, and he helped me cross quite a few toughies off my want list.

Rosen seemed to me to have a small network of backers and silent partners, and in my dealings with him he mostly played the role of broker. I would tell him what I wanted, he would track it down, I would give him a check, and then I would receive my cards in the mail from someone else (most frequently Brian Morris).
Old 08-26-2014, 12:38 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
Where did you learn all this?

There is a big difference between good people and assholes - it doesn't matter what they do for a living, or for fun.
This is one of the exact reasons why I don't do shows anymore. Most collectors look at dealers as people who are only in it for the money and want every item for the lowest price they see something on eBay for within the last year. We were all collectors at one time too and continue to be. Dealers just choose to try to turn part of their hobby in to some business.

These same people assume dealers are makings tons of cash and just don't appreciate people or small sales. Exactly like they described assuming Rosen made made millions off of his 52 topps deal and that is why he can say he spent 5 million per year. If I remember correctly Mantles were only selling for around 3,000.

Like I said earlier, the guy is an asshole and it has nothing to do with the fact that he is a dealer. Also, as earlier mentioned by others he would cry like a little baby if he didn't get his front row table and extra attention. He also used to make promoters pay for his table and plane ticket if they wanted to have the Mr Mint draw at their show thus bringing in all the sheep that he loved to deal with. He probably carried a gun so people wouldn't kick his ass when he started running his mouth about how important he is or how much money he spends.
Old 08-26-2014, 12:43 PM

The last time I saw him at a show he was buying and selling beanie babies...
Old 08-26-2014, 12:59 PM
And.rew Whi.te

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaroncc View Post
The last time I saw him at a show he was buying and selling beanie babies...
Ouch! LOL
Old 08-26-2014, 01:38 PM
Scott
Scott All.en

I met him in the late 70's at a big card show in Plymouth, Michigan. I was about 12 years old. I'm not sure how I knew of him - maybe ads in magazines, but I knew who he was. I walked up to him and asked him about wire photos and if they were worth anything. I had a bunch at home and I had never seen any info on what they might be worth. He actually couldn't have been nicer, and what I remember most was how he spoke to me like an adult and not some dumb kid wasting his time - which I was!

Whether you like him or not - the more that guy was in the news, the more positive publicity the hobby received. Personally, I wish he was more visible these days. Seems like today the only time you read about dealers is when they're being hauled off to jail. It gets old.