NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-26-2014, 09:34 PM
A.J. Johnson

Default Most rare 1914 CJ?

I was talking to a fellow collector today about which card he thought was the hardest to find in the 14 CJ set. Obviously Del Pratt is the first to come to mind with at last check only 19 total PSA/SGC cards graded, but that is not the whole story is it, because there are others with fewer cards graded (Shotten, Cady, Keating, Becker). Does anyone know the real story behind the mysterious Pratt card and why it's prices are exponentially more than the other low pop players?
Old 08-26-2014, 09:51 PM

My guess would be the obvious that it's pose differs from the 1915. Unlike the Lord, Zieder and Mathewson cards which also vary between the 1914 and 1915, the Pratt is simply harder to find. Low population is one thing on SGC and PSA reports, but if the same card exists in both sets such as the Cady, this knocks down the price.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1914 Cracker Jack Pratt [Front].jpg (24.7 KB, 374 views)
Old 08-26-2014, 09:59 PM
Steven

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 93 e145 Pratt.jpg (76.9 KB, 373 views)
Old 08-26-2014, 10:35 PM
Barry

Well, seeing that everybody is showing their Pratt's…..

Granted the Cady is represented in both the 1914 and 1915 sets, but it is still numerically the least common 1914 CJ. Just sayin'……..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg #93 Del Pratt.jpg (77.8 KB, 360 views)
File Type: jpg #87 Forest Cady.jpg (75.2 KB, 360 views)
Old 08-26-2014, 10:50 PM
A.J. Johnson

This is just turned into a show me your D*#@ I mean Pratt contest. haha
I wish I had one to whip out (like in real life it would be far below average). lol

seriously...anyone know why these are so expensive? So far the best reason is there's no same pose in 15's. Gotta be more to this....could it be that this card was hyped at one point and prices have stayed inflated from this false hype?

Quote:
Originally Posted by btkpath View Post
Well, seeing that everybody is showing their Pratt's…..

Granted the Cady is represented in both the 1914 and 1915 sets, but it is still numerically the least common 1914 CJ. Just sayin'……..
Old 08-26-2014, 11:08 PM
Barry

I had heard from a VERY reliable source at one time that the Pratt family bought up all the cards that they could find, and this source had sold the Pratt family several of the cards in the past. I know this was the case with other families of players' cards from other sets.
Old 08-27-2014, 06:49 AM
Greg Mitchell

I'm the one who did, and updated, the recent "combined pop report," which only focuses on the numbers, but I have to say--how much difference is there between a card with 19 pop and, say, 27? Especially since you could have more listed but more of other never graded; or even if graded not likely to be circulated any time soon; or in a Titus-itis move, someone is collecting and keeping a large number of one player. I wonder if going by how many have been put for sale in past decade is better gauge...
Old 08-27-2014, 07:20 AM
Barry

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregMitch34 View Post
I wonder if going by how many have been put for sale in past decade is better gauge...
Valid point…..

Cady sales recorded on VCP 3
Shotten sales reported on VCP 7
Pratt sales reported on VCP 9

Obviously does not include private sales or raw card sales, but, as Greg mentions, might be another gauge to use to assess rarity.
Old 08-27-2014, 07:28 AM
Greg Mitchell

Also, in my combined pop report, I added listings for graded cards greater than '3" and greater than '4" and there are some stark differences. However, I mainly did the HOFers and a few others before running out of gas so did not do for the really scarce cards...so, again, if you're looking for, say, a "5" for someone that card could be virtually the highest graded where a less common card could have several 5s or better...
Old 08-27-2014, 07:33 AM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

Lou Lowdermilk called. He says you should stop prying into things you weren't meant to know.
Old 08-27-2014, 08:38 AM
Sean Costello

Quote:
Originally Posted by darwinbulldog View Post
lou lowdermilk called. He says you should stop prying into things you weren't meant to know.
This is funny.

Last edited by Sean; 08-27-2014 at 08:39 AM.
Old 08-27-2014, 08:38 AM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

Quote:
... I wonder if going by how many have been put for sale in past decade is better gauge...
I have been saying this for a while now. With cardtarget and vcp it makes sense to look at past sales along with pop reports. Pop reports can be wrong due to cards being submitted multiple times and some cards never getting slabbed. Yet when you use that info along with the sales reports you can get a better picture of what you may see in the future. Neither method alone can give you a full picture. Because past sales don't show cards sold in lots or just because you see 3 sales lately doesn't mean they are 3 different cards it could just be two buyers that tried to flip the same card until it ended up in a collection.

There is so much more info now that can be used to come up with a full picture.

As far as the pratt I fully believe the value is higher because of the particular image is rarer due to only being in the '14 set. There are many collectors that don't give priority to the back that just want one of each image. So the images that are only found in either set go for higher prices, then you add on top of that the limited sales of the '14 Pratt it will lead to higher prices.
Old 08-27-2014, 10:41 AM
Tom Prince

I heard that the Rueckheim Bros. and Eckstein were so overloaded with unpurchased Cracker Jack boxes containing 2nd series cards that in the Fall of 1914 that they rented a barge and dumped 14,999,900 boxes into New York harbor.

I think anyone who wants to collect this set needs to have his head examined. Everyone please report to Barry, stat!
Old 08-27-2014, 10:50 AM
James R. Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniffy5 View Post
I heard that the Rueckheim Bros. and Eckstein were so overloaded with unpurchased Cracker Jack boxes containing 2nd series cards that in the Fall of 1914 that they rented a barge and dumped 14,999,900 boxes into New York harbor.

I think anyone who wants to collect this set needs to have his head examined. Everyone please report to Barry, stat!
Funny chit Tom!
Old 08-27-2014, 12:12 PM
Greg Mitchell

They only dumped them in harbor to "soak" them. So there should be some millions of high-grade 2nd series out there. Check the piers along the West Side Highway and the Battery.
Old 08-27-2014, 01:23 PM
Tom Prince

The time has come for the collecting world to realize that so few 1914's survive because they were produced in extremely limited quantities. And also probably regionally as well. We all point to the fragile nature of the 1914's. But let's face it, all cards are fragile, no matter the brand, especially before plastic sleeves and acrylic. They are all just thick paper. Is the reason that there are piles of t206's everywhere you look at a show because they are of heartier composition? We all have 1914's. They don't melt over time. There are nice ones a century later, and there are mangled ones, but they are still here, stains and all.

There were collectors back then. Cards were a huge selling point for products. Folks did collect. The reverse of the cards told a lie about production numbers to project an immense image for the burgeoning company. They certainly lied about the 2nd series. No doubts there. More would have survived if more could have been collected. There were not a lot around, or not around for a long period of time, or only around in certain boxes in certain areas. That's what I think...
Old 08-27-2014, 01:30 PM
Greg Mitchell

Tom, I think we both predicted a couple of months back that the current CJ craze would NOT produce a lot of higher-grade examples suddenly getting graded and going up for sale but that we'd see a lot of low-graded ones go through that process. So far, I think we are on the money (so to speak). And now it will be easier than ever to spot the newly-graded at SGC at least.
Old 08-27-2014, 02:55 PM
Fr@nk Jenn!ngs

Quote:
And now it will be easier than ever to spot the newly-graded at SGC at least.
Could be "newly" regraded as well.

r/
Frank
Old 08-28-2014, 04:20 PM
Ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by bn2cardz View Post
As far as the pratt I fully believe the value is higher because of the particular image is rarer due to only being in the '14 set. There are many collectors that don't give priority to the back that just want one of each image. So the images that are only found in either set go for higher prices, then you add on top of that the limited sales of the '14 Pratt it will lead to higher prices.
A reasonable theory, but it does not explain the 1914 Zeider throwing pose. There was also a portrait pose of Zeider in the 1914 set. The throwing pose was dropped in 1915, and by your theory should command a higher price than it actually does.
Old 08-28-2014, 06:11 PM
A.J. Johnson

Good point....I think Pratt is one of those hobby hypes that is a self fulfilling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo_450 View Post
A reasonable theory, but it does not explain the 1914 Zeider throwing pose. There was also a portrait pose of Zeider in the 1914 set. The throwing pose was dropped in 1915, and by your theory should command a higher price than it actually does.