NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-01-2015, 05:44 PM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

Default Tell me about this Thorpe card and Matty card

Over the last couple days, a couple of interesting auctions (to me, at least) ended on eBay. Earlier today, a 1931 Swedish Kanolds Kick-Mint card of Jim Thorpe ended on eBay at $636. I am a Thorpe fan and had never seen the card before. I Googled the card and found nothing. The seller is located in Sweden and has sold a bunch of Cloetta Chocolate cards in recent months. In addition, the seller has sold other Swedish/Finnish cards in recent months with advertising for "Forsbergs," "Alfa" and "Mazetti."

I was at least vaguely familiar with the Cloetta Chocolate cards because of the boxers in the set. But has anyone ever seen a Thorpe Kanolds Kick-Mint card before? I scoured the seller's history and Google and the only thing I could come up with was that he did sell one previous Thorpe "Kick-Mint" card last October. Otherwise, I can't find anything about the set or any previous Thorpe sales. Are all those different companies and/or brands related?

I love obscure and esoteric stuff, but couldn't bring myself to bid at that price.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1931-Swedish...vip=true&rt=nc

Also, anyone ever seen the Matty "card" before that sold for $920 a few days ago? The Matty image on the "card" is, of course, not unique. But $920 for a "card" apparently from a candy box?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ANTIQUE-034-...e&rt=nchttp://

Last edited by Bored5000; 02-01-2015 at 05:56 PM.
Old 02-01-2015, 08:39 PM
Chris

I am far from an expert on Swedish cards, but that one looks a lot like the artificially aged fakes on eBay. I may be wrong, but the wear on the back just raises a lot of red flags to me.
Old 02-01-2015, 08:50 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I agree the Swedish card looks suspect but I don't know enough about them to say for sure. The Matty card type was discussed a few days ago. It is a 1910 E-Unc Candy Box card. It has had it's side diamond-shaped tabs trimmed off too.
Old 02-01-2015, 09:02 PM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestdj777 View Post
I am far from an expert on Swedish cards, but that one looks a lot like the artificially aged fakes on eBay. I may be wrong, but the wear on the back just raises a lot of red flags to me.
You may be right. When I did lots of Google searching the last couple days and could turn up nothing about the set other than that particular seller's listing, the thought that it was some kind of fake did run through my mind. If the card would have been less than $100, I may have taken a chance. But when the bidding was already at $400 yesterday, I wasn't going to take that much of a chance on a foreign card I could not find any information about.
Old 02-01-2015, 09:07 PM
Casey Moore

The Kickmint is real. There was another one that sold last year for a similar price. The text on the back of it was slightly different, though. I have seen other cards from this set, but they are certainly quite obscure.
Old 02-01-2015, 09:24 PM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmoore330 View Post
The Kickmint is real. There was another one that sold last year for a similar price. The text on the back of it was slightly different, though. I have seen other cards from this set, but they are certainly quite obscure.
The same seller also sold Kick-Mint cards of Paavo Nurmi ($33) and Ville Ritola ($9) on Sunday. I probably spent three or four hours playing around with Google yesterday to see if I could find anything on the set and a Thorpe card in particular.
Old 02-01-2015, 09:33 PM
Casey Moore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored5000 View Post
The same seller also sold Kick-Mint cards of Paavo Nurmi ($33) and Ville Ritola ($9) on Sunday. I probably spent three or four hours playing around with Google yesterday to see if I could find anything on the set and a Thorpe card in particular.
Same seller on all of them? Well that makes it a little more interesting...
Old 02-01-2015, 09:42 PM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmoore330 View Post
Same seller on all of them? Well that makes it a little more interesting...
Yes.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/m.l.collecti...H_Sold=1&rt=nc