NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-20-2009, 03:08 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default 1935 Circa Toledo Mud Hens photo card

Just picked this up off of a gentleman who always seems to have odd items. This is currently known as an uncataloged Circa 1935 Toledo Mud Hens Issue....Anyone, besides Frank W , ever see any others?

Old 11-20-2009, 03:25 PM
Bob Lemke

Default He looked old even then

. . . and he was only 37 in 1935.

Link to my custom cards gallery:
http://tinyurl.com/customcards
Old 11-20-2009, 03:28 PM
Frank Wakefield

I've not seen one of those. And that's a nice card, there, Leon.
Old 11-20-2009, 04:04 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default Thanks!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankWakefield View Post
I've not seen one of those. And that's a nice card, there, Leon.
Thanks Frank. I really enjoy talking about esoteric cards, and pre-war cards, in general. I understand there is one more known from this "set".

Sometimes I think there should be a category we call "photo-cards" as I think that would be the correct one for "cards" like these. I can think of several others like this, similar to pictures, also. best regards
Old 11-20-2009, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Lemke View Post
. . . and he was only 37 in 1935.
Living in Toledo can do that to a man
Old 11-20-2009, 07:05 PM
Frank Kealoha Ward

Maybe with the Mgr card now we can get closer to the date of issue....

I believe I came up with the year (ca.1935) by averaging out the years Powers played for them.

Here is the only one Ive seen beside Leon's.
Dont own it anymore...

1.5" by 2.1" real photo
Old 11-20-2009, 07:21 PM
Frank Kealoha Ward

Looks like the years will be closer to 1936-37. Haney started Managing in 1936 (some sources say 1935) and Powers last season with them was 1937.
Old 11-20-2009, 07:26 PM
Clayton

Default Photo Cards

I found a 1966 Toledo Mud Hens Team Issue in the Beckett Almanac,says it's a 25 card set,cards measure approximately 3 3/16" by 5" and features borderless black-and-white player photos.The backs are blank and unnumbered.I know your card is a 1935,but the description of the 1966 seems similar,doesn't it?By the way Leon,nice find!!
Old 11-20-2009, 09:12 PM

Would any of you speculate that this may have been some sort of team-issued "photo pack"? The lack of corporate sponsorship would be indicative of this.

Not being a card collector, it has never failed to surprise me that these types of "sets"/types are collected in the same fashion as actual cards (although to a lesser extent, I assume). If I had ever been a type collector, I would have immediately labelled such issues as decidedly being on the memorabilia end of the spectrum. Therefore, they would be immediately rendered inconsequential to the completion of my collection. I assume it's all a matter of personal preference?
Old 11-20-2009, 10:46 PM
Frank Kealoha Ward

Too small to be a photo pack (1.5" by 2.1" for the Powers card, Leons is slightly bigger).

I call these "Album Cards", similar to the many Cuban Issues of the 40's and also things like this...

1940 UO-Unc. Associated Stations (gasoline station) SF Seals (1.75" by 2.4")
These were collected then glued into an album provided by the gas station

Last edited by fkw; 11-20-2009 at 10:48 PM.
Old 11-21-2009, 09:45 AM

I have two. Picked up the Powers from Frank not too long ago. This one I've had for a while:

mudhen2.jpg
Old 11-21-2009, 12:20 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default Jodi

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBirkholm View Post
Would any of you speculate that this may have been some sort of team-issued "photo pack"? The lack of corporate sponsorship would be indicative of this.

Not being a card collector, it has never failed to surprise me that these types of "sets"/types are collected in the same fashion as actual cards (although to a lesser extent, I assume). If I had ever been a type collector, I would have immediately labelled such issues as decidedly being on the memorabilia end of the spectrum. Therefore, they would be immediately rendered inconsequential to the completion of my collection. I assume it's all a matter of personal preference?
Hi Jodi
It is exactly like you said, all a matter of preference. I speak from the perspective of being a (mostly) type card collector. I also accept the fact that some people don't feel it's even a legitimate way to collect. That is certainly their prerogative to feel that way. I don't begrudge anyone their opinion as long as it doesn't hurt anyone else.

For me, I need to have something more than "an" ACC (American Card Catalog) focus, though that is 1 of the 2 foci . If I didn't do it that way I would run out of stuff to collect, for the most part. How fun is that? So I have a strict ACC focus and I have a 2nd method that is unfocused, which is where this "photo-card" falls. BTW, I think the "what is a card" debate is always fascinating . Hope this helps explain where I am coming from. Happy Collecting.

edited to add - THANKS GLEN- for posting the scan of the other card. That's 3....and thanks FKW for chiming in, as always.

Last edited by Leon; 11-21-2009 at 12:23 PM.