NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-01-2009, 04:01 PM

Default FedEx is aweful

I just returned home and found a FedEx package at my front door with a quite valuable card inside. This is probably the tenth time they have done this - left a package requiring a signature on the front porch. The package clearly says "ADULT SIGN". Usually they give a faint knock on the door and by the time I get to the door they are pulling away in their truck, but the package is there. I would never do it, but it is tempting to file a claim that the package never arrived just to make a point. Have others had bad experiences with FedEx? This is more the norm than the exception with me. I knew a package was coming this week and as I drove up, I half expected it to be sitting at the door.
JimB

Last edited by E93; 12-01-2009 at 04:38 PM.
Old 12-01-2009, 04:48 PM

Always glad to vent our bottomless spleen at FedEx, even though our problems with them were in a different vein and go back more than twenty years. We had a lot of occasions then requiring same-day shipment of artwork and/or documents to recipients in other cities. Twice the material did not arrive until the next day. The first time it happened one FedEx rep told us "same day" meant "in the next 24 hours," not the same calendar day, although higher-ups contradicted that. The second time we were told same-day service was not available to the destination city and we (us, not FedEx) "should have known that." That was the last time we ever used them.
https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/baseballgames/

Successful transactions with: bocabirdman, GrayGhost, jimivintage,
Oneofthree67, orioles93, quinnsryche, thecatspajamas, ValKehl
Old 12-01-2009, 04:59 PM
{K.e.v.i.n_C.u.m.m.i.n.g.s}

Default Same With Me

On more than one occasion I have paid for the service and neither the recipient nor anyone else has signed for the delivery. On at least one occasion of which I am aware, the driver signed for it himself.

Tom Boblitt works for UPS, but he may have an insight into this - I have heard that some or all of the FedEx drivers are independent contractors. Since they technically don't work for FedEx or gain any benefits from them, FedEx doesn't have as much clout making them follow the rules.
Old 12-01-2009, 05:07 PM
Bob Hamlin

I just sold some cards and I am sending them overnight Fed-ex.......should I send the cards needing a signature even if the buyer tells me its not needed? Its a funny situation, I kinda want to send them that way, but if the buyer isnt home, I dont want them to have to run all over the earth to get them from Fed-ex Hub. What to do? It is a board member.
Old 12-01-2009, 05:11 PM

How do you guys insure valuable baseball cards through Fed Ex? Doesn't the back of the airbill limit coverage to $500 for collectibles like rare baseball cards irrespective of the amount of coverage purchased by sender?
Old 12-01-2009, 05:19 PM
Dan Bretta

I've never seen the face of my FedEx driver...always the back of his head as he's running to his truck...Also the driver has never once knocked or rang the bell.
Old 12-01-2009, 05:32 PM
FredYoung

I quit using FedEX some time ago--used to send & receive from SGC w/ them but no more! USPS Registered Mail gets my cards back to me just as fast & the postman ALWAYS comes to the door for delivery & a sig!

Last edited by GoldenAge50s; 12-01-2009 at 05:50 PM.
Old 12-01-2009, 05:44 PM
Barry Sloate

Fed Ex is fine if you are sending documents, but it is a terrible way to ship valuables such as baseball cards. I would rather have a package sent to me by registered mail, even if it takes a week to get it. People who use Fed Ex for collectibles are making a mistake.
Old 12-01-2009, 05:49 PM
Bradley Holt

Default UPS over FedEX!!

I've always used FedEx when shipping valuable cards and never had a problem, now that being said I could always use an altrnative service like UPS if needed. I have to admit leaving unsigned package at the door is extremely bad!!!

How do people feel about UPS's service? Maybe it's time to change companies!
Old 12-01-2009, 06:06 PM
Dan Bretta

UPS has never left a package at my door that needs a signature, but they also drop and run. I once caught them leaving about 9 boxes (Hunt auction winnings...nothing real expensive, just one of their huge lots) on the side of my house while I was home. No knock on the door...I came out and asked him what he was doing and he said he tried the front door...that was a lie because my dog would have gone insane had he come to the front door.
Old 12-01-2009, 06:08 PM
Johnny S

UPS leaves packages on my doorstep just like Fedex, the Postal Service does as well unless it has to be signed, then I have to go to post office to pick it up. Once the post office left a d.c. package at the wrong house but luckily I got the package and haven't had anything taken from my doorstep.
Old 12-01-2009, 06:45 PM
Scott Mt. Joy

I have the same problem with UPS doing the same thing, what really gets me going is when they just leave stuff and its raining. We have complained a couple times to no avail. Fedex is ok but have also been know to leave stuff a few times.

Our postal carrier is great so I use USPS for as much as possible.
Old 12-01-2009, 06:51 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

I use FedEx almost exclusively and their service, both support people and drivers, is fantastic. I know my driver (as I know my UPS driver) and they are both extremely efficient. I had a card shipped International Registered Mail from the UK in early October. The card arrived in the states on October 14 but I never received it. Unfortunately, it was a unique discovery copy of a Gleason N288. A claim was filed in the UK but no word on what has happened yet. So, I trust FedEx more than registered mail, at least the international variety.