NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-02-2008, 07:03 AM
Administrator

Default Rose Company Postcards...falling off or just another economy result?

Posted By: Dave F

Unfortunately I didn't have the Rose Co. Postcards on my radar last night until it was too late. I was surprised at some of the ending prices. I thought they were quite low. What's the reason? Another result of the economy? Or are they just falling off in value for other reasons? Too many at one setting for an auction? Below are the ending prices on most from Mile High.

1908-09 Rose Co. Postcards Bradley SGC 84 NM 7 $807.00
1908-09 Rose Co. Postcards Bob Rhoades SGC 80 EX/NM 6 $646.00
1908-09 Rose Co. Postcards Ewing SGC 80 EX/NM 6 $711.00
1908-09 Rose Co. Postcards Ganzel SGC 80 EX/NM 6 $587.00
1908-09 Rose Co. Postcards Gilbert SGC 80 EX/NM 6 $533.00
1908-09 Rose Co. Postcards Harry McIntyre SGC 80 EX/NM 6 $1,044.00
1908-09 Rose Co. Postcards Osborne SGC 80 EX/NM 6 $862.00
1908-09 Rose Co. Postcards Patten SGC 80 EX/NM 6 $587.00
1908-09 Rose Co. Postcards Pastorious SGC 70 EX+ 5.5 $1,149.00
1908-09 Rose Co. Postcards Howell SGC 60 EX 5 $533.00
1908-09 Rose Co. Postcards Lee Tannehill SGC 50 VG/EX 4 $484.00
1908-09 Rose Co. Postcards Rube Oldring SGC 60 EX 5 $400.00
1908-09 Rose Co. Postcards Tommy Leach SGC 60 EX 5 $587.00
1908-09 Rose Co. Postcards Milan SGC 50 VG/EX 4 $484.00

Old 10-02-2008, 09:00 AM
Administrator

Posted By: steve yawitz

I'd guess both reasons: a large supply - kinda reminded me of REA's E107's earlier this year - and the state of the Union. For that latter reason, I was actually relieved to have been outbid on one in the wee hours, even though the price was very low relative to previous sales.

http://imageevent.com/yawie99

Old 10-02-2008, 09:28 AM
Administrator

Posted By: peter ullman

i'd say most likely the supply as well. we saw what happened with those d310's on ebay the other day...and now 19th cent only will be selling a load more of them. This usually happens(like the e107's)when the market is flooded.

Old 10-02-2008, 09:35 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

I can't help myself from repeating myself ......supply vs demand. Prices will come down a little when the supply is greater...It will take some time for them to be cubby-holed away and the prices to go back up.....I am not sure if the stock market is hurting or helping? With both cards and stocks down I guess I would rather look at my cards than a stock cert......Kind of weird times right now in the hobby. For all true collectors I think it's a pretty good time.....and since I am both collector and "other" I am kind of neutral....

Old 10-02-2008, 09:48 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave

I decided to put a mid grade t206 set together BECAUSE of the economy. More and more people will slow down or bow out = best time to try to tackle the monster as long as I can afford to.

If you aren't in financial peril right now you should be doing quite well, if you are then you've got things to worry about that don't make old cardboard remotely important.

Old 10-02-2008, 10:12 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve M.

I'm not real sure there are very many Rose "set" collectors out there that would be vying against each other for these cards. That factor likely would keep prices down.

The collectors who are buying these cards are more likely "type card" collectors who would like to have one or two in their collections or "favorite player" collectors going after a specific player or team type.

Even with that analysis I have to say that the prices did "shock" me.

(I know, you're shocked that I even get it)

Old 10-02-2008, 10:26 AM
Administrator

Posted By: boxingcardman

For those of us old enough to have been collecting since the 1970s, when the first big price spikes occurred in 1950s cards, the supply rapidly came to market and prices dropped for a while. I think we are seeing the same effect here with the two sets mentioned.

Plus the economic outlook is leaving many of us feeling like faith healers with appendicitis.

Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc

Old 10-02-2008, 02:40 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve Dawson

For those who like the Rose Co postcards, but can't afford the prices...

Steve

Old 10-02-2008, 04:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: LetsGoBucs

From the NY Times...in an article about the economic impact to smaller businesses:

Some are also nervous about their sales. Michael Frome, 40, a partner in Fromeco Scale Avionics, says they are way off. He and a partner lease space in a hangar in Sandy, Ore., where they and three employees build parts for remote-controlled model airplanes — not the balsa wood variety, but steel planes with wing spans up to 10 feet. Hobbyists buy them for $5,000 to $10,000 and often race them.

A month ago, Mr. Frome realized that the hobbyists, most of them men over 50 with six-figure incomes, had all but stopped buying the planes and replacement parts — including a new electronic device, developed by Fromeco, that logs flight data. Sales plummeted from a $1 million annual rate to half that level, and they are still falling.

Mr. Frome attributes the sudden drop-off to the sophistication of the hobbyists, whom he describes as conversant with Wall Street, investors themselves and shocked more than most by the current debacle.

“I think my customers are quickly reducing their discretionary spending to near zero and squirreling away money,” Mr. Frome said. “Fear and uncertainty grip them.”
----------------------------

Sounds like very similar demographic to vintage baseball card collectors with perhaps an age difference.

Old 10-05-2008, 01:31 PM
Administrator

Posted By: chiprop

Might not be the same story if it were a hall of famer. I would think there would be a fight over a Cobb, Johnson, Wagner, or Young Rose co. pc. Common cards are not really going to do well in this economy unless you have a couple guys trying to complete a set. A Cobb in a high grade similar to Milehigh EX/MT, might fetch $30k or more. Rare hall of fame players from scarce sets will always bring money out of the woodwork.

Old 10-05-2008, 02:24 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

Dan, 30K? For a postcard? What's the record anyone has paid for a postcard?

Old 10-05-2008, 05:06 PM
Administrator

A member on this board has been offer $15,000 for his Rose Co. Cobb in a VG condition, so in EX/MT, I would assume it would sell for more than double. Just a guess. The last Rose Co. Cobb to sell in an auction (SGC 40) sold for almost $8,000 3 years ago to different board member. Joss in a 6 holder recently sold for $6,500.00 Why are you so suprised?

Old 10-05-2008, 05:20 PM
Administrator

I'm surprised because I'm still waiting to hear of an example of a postcard -- which is not unique - selling for 30K. That someone would offer 15K for a decent version of the postcard does not mean in excellent condition it would sell for 30K. Postcards are, unfortunately, the red-headed stepchildren of card collecting and just don't fetch the premium that baseball cards do.

Old 10-05-2008, 05:40 PM
Administrator

Maybe that's because we have not seen a high grade postcard sell at auction. Don't dismiss it, though. I wouldn't have thought I would have seen a Brunner's Cobb sell for over $275,000 either. Anything can happen when one shows up. There are many guys who would love to have a high grade example of a Henry Horner photo of Cobb on a 100 year old BBcard, and there are too few examples available for the masses.

Old 10-05-2008, 05:43 PM
Administrator

Dan, I agree: anything is possible at an auction (including fraudulently reported prices). That being said, with Cobb, Jackson and Ruth any price is possible.