NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you give an opinion of a person or company your full name needs to be in your post. Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 05-11-2007, 02:24 PM
Administrator

Default Wirephotos

Posted By: davidcycleback

As Mike noted, it can be complicated. However, if a photo has the stamp or tag from a company like ACME you know the photo is old. And, if you know a photo is vintage, that's half the battle price-wise. As long you know it's not a modern reprint and the image is sharp, you don't have to lose sleep over the other details.

Old 05-11-2007, 02:24 PM
Administrator

Default Wirephotos

Posted By: Mike

If the slug is missing from a newsphoto does it lessen the value?

Old 05-11-2007, 02:29 PM
Administrator

Default Wirephotos

Yes it lessens the value. Quite a bit. As this would in most cases, cause the original date to be lost, and the contents to be lost. An example being, " a celebration of some sort". A slug normally gives all names in the photo, including obscure players, or friends or family members of the player, or management. Without the slug, information can be lost forever. But as many have stated, collecting original photos can get very complicated. Get marshall Fogels book. It is awesome.

Old 05-11-2007, 02:32 PM
Administrator

Default Wirephotos

If the photo can be dated and identified as original/vintage (ala has proper stamp), I don't believe a missing paper tag lowers the value. The tags were sometimes taken off by the printers and editors or otherwise could innocently fall off, so a missing tag shouldn't cause lost sleep unless it is needed to authenticate the photo.

However, the captions on the tags are often important for saying who's who and what's what in the image. I had a lot of football photos, and I wouldn't have who were 70 percent of players if it didn't have captions. Also, I would know a scene was from the 1956 Sugar Bowl without the caption or that pic was from Jim Brown's last game .... A lot of these caption details raise value, as a scene known to be from the Sugar Bowl will be more that a scene from the 3rd regular season game, and a pic from from Brown's last game is worth more than a pic from the 3rd from last game.

Old 05-11-2007, 02:52 PM
Administrator

Default Wirephotos

But without the attached "slug" many photos may show babe Ruth for example, but what is he doing? What game is it? Who is he with ? What date was it? is it his first wife or his second ? What hit or home run was it? Was it something important? called shot ? Or just a long meaningless homerun? So I guess I disagree somewhat, in that it does lower the value. maybe I was a little over zealous when I said it lowers it a lot, but yes, it certainly does lower it. I have been collecting Foxx, gehrig, and Ruth newsphotos (NOT WIRE PHOTOS) as there wasn't such a thing back then. I have about 70 of them. So to me, yes it does lower the value. And one more thing, without the slug, it makes it harder to know whether it is a copy or an original. With the attached slug, it is almost always an original.

Old 05-11-2007, 03:01 PM
Administrator

Default Wirephotos

Mike, I agree in that the details from the caption can add value. If it's a face shot of Babe Ruth, one doesn't need a caption to know it's Babe Ruth. On the other hand, if it's the 1942 Army football team portrait, it's beneficial to know the players' name and that the photo was shot before the the big Army Navy game.

So a tag isn't always needed to authenticate a photo, but can add details that will raise the sales price-- especially, when the owner and buyer would know little about the image without the caption.

Old 05-11-2007, 03:20 PM
Administrator

Default Wirephotos

yes, if it is a faceshot of Ruth, then yes, an explanation isn't as important. But what was the occasion? What was the date ? Is the photo original ? Along with Old cardboard, I collect originals of Foxx and Ruth and gehrig. Some of my favorite originals are from the 1934 tour of japan. In many cases there are large group shots. Without the slug attached, many people would remain a mystery for ever.. From an odd angle, maybe Moe Berg looks like Charlie Gehringer, all i am saying, is that with the attachment, it clarifys everything. And to me, Iam willing to pay more, if the newsphoto attachment is there. AGAIN< there are no attachments for wire photos. (That is for anyone who wasn't paying attention to earlier comments)

Old 05-11-2007, 04:28 PM
Administrator

Default Wirephotos

Posted By: Dan Bretta

I have two photos that I'm pretty sure were professionally taken newsphotos, but they have no explanation as to what was going on....with some research you can uncover what is going on in a photo and a date.

I have yet to figure out what the exact date of these photos, but it probably wouldn't be too hard to get that since I have figured the year to be 1926 by the uniforms.

This website is invaluable to people like me who try and date photos by uniform styles
http://www.baseballhalloffame.org/exhibits/online_exhibits/dressed_to_the_nines/

The guys shaking hands are the managers - when I first bought the photos they were sold to me as New York Giants v Boston Braves photos, but I quickly determined the ballpark was Fenway so this was a possibility as the Braves did on occasion play at Fenway...the more I looked at the photos I believed the managers to be Dave Bancroft and Bill Carrigan, but uniform styles didn't match for any time period when both were managing - a little more research led me to 1926 when Lee Fohl was the Red Sox manager. So just by some research which is most of the fun of collecting these photos for me I determined the date, and the subjects of the photos. The game is obviously an exhibition game between the two Boston clubs in 1926....I'm sure a newspaper search would reveal the exact date, but I haven't done that yet.

Old 05-11-2007, 05:58 PM
Administrator

Default Wirephotos

Let's see what on the back of them...Curious

Old 05-11-2007, 06:04 PM
Administrator

Default Wirephotos

Posted By: scgaynor

A general rule of thumb is that a photo of a player who is not in uniform (NIU) is generally worth no more than 50% (often only 20-30%) of one where he is in uniform. There are, of course, expections.

The missing "slug" is not that big of a deal most of the time. It might make the photo worth 10-20& less, but often does not really effect the value at all. The image is the key, it is one of the reasons that most news service photographs are tough to value. Unlike a baseball card, each is different in some way.

Scott