NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-06-2014, 05:43 PM
Ben A.

Default New Member Intro

Hello gentlemen, let me start off by saying that I’m a “long time lurker - first time poster,” if such a thing exists, and if that does not make me sound sketchy enough I also obsess over small rectangular pieces of cardboard (preferably between the years of 1947 through 1957). Furthermore, I fixate over a team I never did, nor never will, watch play – the Brooklyn Dodgers.

I have not been much of a poster on forums, as I usually like to listen (or in this case read). However, there are times when I would like to add to the conversation so therefore a formal introduction is somewhat necessary.
I’m perhaps a bit of a paradox as a collector because I’m a set registry guy, but specialize in “collector” grade specimens. Why the set registry? Or better yet, how can I detach myself from the stigma associated with most set registry people? Well, in a nutshell, from moving to just collecting the 1955 Brooklyn Dodger roster (which is how I started sixteen years ago), to my first TPG card of Jackie Robinson (holy shit look at how good that is for a 5!), the set registry helped to guide and enhance my collecting focus. It also helped to broaden my horizon as a collector – it introduced me to Wilson Franks, Red Hearts and Old Gold, 1950 Drake’s and the elusive but affordable (which is an oxymoron in my opinion) - r423’s. Also, from a collector who started in the hobby alongside the advent of ebay, TPG’s gave a baseline of assurance that you knew what you were getting without having seen the card in person. I’m sure this will come off to some of you as Fanboyism, and in a way it is, but it’s the real McCoy. I do not deal with the high-end, where yes indeed, they do print money. I will not say I know the difference between an “8” or a “9” (or a 10 for that matter). I’m just proud of a set that I’ve been diligently working on for over ten years which is only 45% complete.

To me EXMT is the “goldilocks.” If you’re not anal on centering, and I know a lot of you guys are, excellent-mint cards can look pretty damn good. You can even find them centered too.

I find the net54 community a true asset to the hobby, and I’ve learned a great amount by lurking here over the years. I love this hobby and I love this site.

In earnest,

Ben A.
Old 01-06-2014, 06:58 PM

Default Welcome Ben!

great to have you aboard......Dodgers rock....

try a t206 on for size some day

Peace

Johnny
Old 01-06-2014, 08:52 PM
Bill Gregory

Welcome to the forum, Ben!

You certainly could do worse than picking the Dodgers to collect. I'm a Braves/Brewers guy myself, as Milwaukee is my home town. But I love the history of the Trolley Dodgers. In fact, I just watched Brooklyn Dodgers: the Ghosts of Flatbush last night. I'm sure you've seen it, but on the off chance you have not, it's an HBO Sports production, and it is outstanding. It's perma-saved on my DVR, and a must see, in my opinion.

I look forward to seeing some of your collection.

Bill

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 01-06-2014, 08:54 PM
Bill Gregory

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvster View Post
great to have you aboard......Dodgers rock....

try a t206 on for size some day

Peace

Johnny
Yup yup, some really nice Superbas/Dodgers in the T206 set.

My favorite is the Nap Rucker portrait.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 01-06-2014, 09:16 PM
Ben A.

Default thanks guys

Bill, I always liked your posts and you seem like a really good person, so thanks for the welcome. Need to upgrade my scanner, but I did get some really nice pickups this month. I'll post later in the post-war section.

Ben
Old 01-06-2014, 09:35 PM
Bill Gregory

Quote:
Originally Posted by dembums View Post
Bill, I always liked your posts and you seem like a really good person, so thanks for the welcome. Need to upgrade my scanner, but I did get some really nice pickups this month. I'll post later in the post-war section.

Ben
Why, thank you.

There are several Dodgers I want to add. Jackie, of course, Campy, Sandy Koufax, Pee Wee Reese (love the '53 Bowman Color Reese card), and Duke Snider just to get started. I almost bought a Carl Erskine last night, but I'm being good right now.

If I ever get my time machine fixed, we'll go catch a game or two at Ebbets Field. hot dogs are on me.

Old 01-06-2014, 10:09 PM
Tim

Default Welcome

Welcome aboard. Good choice, Dodgers. Here is a Pee Wee Reese rookie and some '52 Bowmans................
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Reese54.jpg (32.7 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg Campanella44.jpg (27.4 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg hodges80.jpg (30.4 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg dressen188.jpg (30.7 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg Newcombe128.jpg (31.9 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg Roe168.jpg (36.3 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg Snider116.jpg (31.6 KB, 63 views)
Old 01-07-2014, 11:15 AM
Barry Arnold

Default newbie

welcome aboard!
it's great to see a long time lurker become 'visibly' one of us!

all the best,
barry
Old 01-07-2014, 12:13 PM
nels0n aud.et

Welcome