NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 07-14-2018, 08:10 PM
Scot

Default Need Advice. What are my options? Any recourse?

Not to long ago, I attended an auction at a local AH. Every so often they have fairly large lot of cards. On the night I am speaking of in this thread, I hit a good score on a 5000 count box of all Nolan Ryan cards and collectibles. Turns out, the box was part of a collection of Ryan specific memorabilia collector from Texas. It contained many Topps, UD, Fleer, Pacific, Phone cards, promo cards and much more. I also found 6 autographed cards. One was an 89 Fleer and the other 5 were Pacific.

Being skeptical of the autographs, I submitted the 89 Fleer to PSA for authentication and Grading (PSA cert 24791888). I was pleased when I received the card back. Naturally, I then submitted the other 5 for the same service. All 5 came back as questionable. I believe they are all authentic.

What to do???? Any advice?

RM4

Successful Transactions: t206hound, LukeLyon, Sebie43, Bocabirdman, tuckr1, Jimivintage, shorttmail66, jcc6252
Old 07-14-2018, 08:19 PM
Steve Zarelli

Post them on the autograph section for opinions.
Old 07-14-2018, 10:02 PM
C0nor D0na.hue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roofman4 View Post
Not to long ago, I attended an auction at a local AH. Every so often they have fairly large lot of cards. On the night I am speaking of in this thread, I hit a good score on a 5000 count box of all Nolan Ryan cards and collectibles. Turns out, the box was part of a collection of Ryan specific memorabilia collector from Texas. It contained many Topps, UD, Fleer, Pacific, Phone cards, promo cards and much more. I also found 6 autographed cards. One was an 89 Fleer and the other 5 were Pacific.

Being skeptical of the autographs, I submitted the 89 Fleer to PSA for authentication and Grading (PSA cert 24791888). I was pleased when I received the card back. Naturally, I then submitted the other 5 for the same service. All 5 came back as questionable. I believe they are all authentic.

What to do???? Any advice?

RM4
Without even seeing them, I would say the odds of you submitting the one good one out of six are highly unlikely. My guess is they saw 5 come in at one time and got spooked and that they'd pass muster if you submitted one at a time.

Last edited by conor912; 07-14-2018 at 10:03 PM.
Old 07-14-2018, 10:50 PM
Eric Bea.chley

Recourse? To who? You did t even know they were part of the lot.
Old 07-15-2018, 07:32 AM
Steve Zarelli

Quote:
Originally Posted by conor912 View Post
Without even seeing them, I would say the odds of you submitting the one good one out of six are highly unlikely. My guess is they saw 5 come in at one time and got spooked and that they'd pass muster if you submitted one at a time.
PSA receives and reviews batches of the same autograph many times a day. I doubt they get “spooked” and fail them all summarily.

This is all speculation until photos of the items in question are posted.
Old 07-15-2018, 11:24 AM
Larry Young

Just keeping sending them in. Eventually they will become authentic.
Old 07-15-2018, 12:45 PM
And.rew Mil.ler

Post photos....Ryan's graph is an easy one to tell....
Old 07-15-2018, 11:28 PM
Jon Canfield

Inexact in any event. I met Shaq earlier this year at a private event and personally had him sign some of my childhood cards of him. I sent them into PSA on a sub and they came back questionable. Clearly they are not - just wanted them protected. Guess they will still in rigids!
Old 07-16-2018, 06:26 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default !

Quote:
Originally Posted by canjond View Post
Inexact in any event. I met Shaq earlier this year at a private event and personally had him sign some of my childhood cards of him. I sent them into PSA on a sub and they came back questionable. Clearly they are not - just wanted them protected. Guess they will still in rigids!
I have always said you are questionable, Jon . And people still pay for an autograph opinion and spend millions on them. I don't know how autograph collectors sleep at night, honestly, unless there is ironclad provenance of the autograph ie.. official document etc... Obviously TPG opinions are just opinions AND MANY times wrong. Since there is no recourse they probably barely care. Next in line please!! LOL

ps...see post 6, how true it is.

Last edited by Leon; 07-16-2018 at 06:29 AM.
Old 07-16-2018, 06:40 AM
Scot

Here they are...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ryan 89 Fleer.jpg (75.6 KB, 143 views)
File Type: jpg Ryan Auto 2.jpg (77.4 KB, 143 views)
File Type: jpg Ryan auto 3.jpg (78.9 KB, 142 views)
File Type: jpg Ryan auto 4.jpg (62.4 KB, 141 views)

Successful Transactions: t206hound, LukeLyon, Sebie43, Bocabirdman, tuckr1, Jimivintage, shorttmail66, jcc6252
Old 07-16-2018, 07:05 AM
Scott Russell

Dare I say the TPG got it right? I think maybe the collector was practicing based on his one good one. He never got close.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions

Last edited by Aquarian Sports Cards; 07-16-2018 at 07:06 AM.
Old 07-16-2018, 09:30 AM
Steve Zarelli

PSA got it right.
Old 07-16-2018, 01:27 PM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Would Ryan have ever signed with such a slant? I am no expert on his signature, got him in person a few times as a player, but it looks like the person tried way to hard.

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”
Old 07-16-2018, 02:49 PM
Jon Canfield

PSA def got it right. Those Pacific Ryan's aren't close.
Old 07-16-2018, 04:52 PM
Michael

the slant on some look extreme on Nolan
Old 07-16-2018, 05:44 PM
And.rew Mil.ler

Those are all clearly bad (except the Fleer!).
Old 07-16-2018, 07:50 PM
M@rk V3l@rd3

While I am known to be critical of the TPAs for many reasons, this time they definitely got it right. All of them, except the Fleer, look terrible.
As far as recourse, I am not sure who you you would get it from. As you posted, you did not know they were there, so no recourse from the Auction as the autos were not the reason you bought the lot and PSA got the opinion right, so no recourse needed from them. Was there someone else?

Other interests/sets/collectibles.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/96571220@N08/albums

My for sale or trade photobucket album
https://flic.kr/s/aHsk7c1SRL