NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 06-08-2010, 02:49 PM
Dan Bretta

Default OT: Interesting Story On Pete Rose and Corked Bats

http://deadspin.com/5555714/this-is-...ses-corked-bat
Old 06-08-2010, 03:08 PM
Joe Jesselli

Black BET-sy
Old 06-08-2010, 03:20 PM
Johnny S

Wow is that funny. It will only add to his legacy and present another round of money making opportunties for Charlie Hustle, great news for all Sports Books across the country !! If they x-rayed Petes head all they would find is a big empty space of air.
Old 06-11-2010, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidekellyslide View Post
Pete cheat? Who woulda guessed?
He still belongs in the HOF- the guy could play! As a competitor, there is no doubt that he wanted to beat your ass every day that he stepped on the diamond....

Last edited by Scott Garner; 06-11-2010 at 07:09 AM.
Old 06-11-2010, 10:33 AM
Jeff

Pete Rose a cheater and liar, I find all this extremely hard to believe.
Old 06-11-2010, 10:58 AM
Johnny S

A friend of mine was in Vegas 7-8 years ago and was in line at a sports book waiting to place a bet. The guy in front of him was at the window for a long time and finally turned around with a stack of slips about two inches thick and a menacing grin on his face, it was Pete Rose !!
Old 06-11-2010, 04:12 PM
Gr.eg Per.ry

I thought this was interesting, from the article:

Quote:
It's simple physics: a bat that's been hollowed out with a drill, its innards replaced with cork, will be lighter without sacrificing power. Lighter bat, quicker swing, better contact on the pitch. That's how the thinking goes, anyway; MythBusters looked into it and found that the ball comes off a corked bat markedly slower, and concluded that the cheaters have only been cheating themselves.
Old 06-11-2010, 05:21 PM
Mike Rich@rds0n

I'm not sure I believe Myth Busters findings on that. Players at all levels have been screwing around with corked bats (even for fun) for as long as I can remember and as a player you notice a difference. The rule of thumb is have the most mass (largest bat) that you can swing without slowing down your swing. Adding cork would allow you to swing a "heavier" bat "faster". Of course, you also weaken the bat when you do that and it wouldn't last as long. In softball, companies have made billions by coming up with stronger, lighter aluminum so that you can swing faster but the bat is as strong as a heavier type of aluminum allowing the ball to travel farther...or velocity times mass equals distance (or momentum)
Old 06-11-2010, 10:32 PM
William Peebles

It doesn't really matter if it made the bat more powerful or not. All Pete was trying to do was put the ball in play out of the reach of a fielder for a single. A lighter bat helped him hold onto his career and reach his ultimate goal. It also doesn't matter, in the grand scheme, because of his greater offense. If he didn't get caught and eventually made the Hall, this story would be pretty damaging. Yet another fallen hero in the world of baseball. Fortunately, Pete took care of his own PR and did himself in in the reputation department. Thanks Pete!

http://www.huntingtonbaseballco.com
Old 08-10-2010, 01:04 AM

In case you're interested in hearing another side to this story, I talk about some of the flaws of the deadspin.com article during Hour 2 of the 7/18/10 edition of Ken Broo's Sports Talk show on WLW700 radio in Cincinnati.

http://www.700wlw.com/cc-common/podc...st=KenBroo.xml
Old 08-10-2010, 08:25 AM
Jason

Default But Mike,...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2686 View Post
I'm not sure I believe Myth Busters findings on that. Players at all levels have been screwing around with corked bats (even for fun) for as long as I can remember and as a player you notice a difference. The rule of thumb is have the most mass (largest bat) that you can swing without slowing down your swing. Adding cork would allow you to swing a "heavier" bat "faster". Of course, you also weaken the bat when you do that and it wouldn't last as long. In softball, companies have made billions by coming up with stronger, lighter aluminum so that you can swing faster but the bat is as strong as a heavier type of aluminum allowing the ball to travel farther...or velocity times mass equals distance (or momentum)
replacing the wood with cork means they are no longer swinging a heavier bat...
Old 08-10-2010, 08:41 AM
Mike Rich@rds0n

true, it's not heavier but it does have the same mass as the heavier bat and that's where the difference comes in...in my opinion.
Old 08-10-2010, 01:58 PM
Dave

Pete Rose really is incorrigible.

Not only does he cork his bat, but he uses the corked bat to break Cobb's record..............and then sells the corked bat to a collector along with who knows how many other corked bats from the same season to other collectors, never believing anybody would ever notice that there is something wrong with the bats.

Pete may have gotten an "A" in woodshop, but he certainly failed at ethics and common sense.
Old 08-18-2010, 04:51 PM
Shinzo Shimozukawa
Banned

Last edited by shimozukawa; 02-16-2011 at 11:41 PM.
Old 08-18-2010, 07:55 PM
Mike Rich@rds0n

I'll have to disagree with that one. Players have been corking bats for years...and for power, not for hits. Even if just for fun during batting practice, the balls tend to jump and go further from the corked bat...however you want to explain it. I've known a few bat doctors in my day...and even used some of those bats during bating practice for fun, and there is a difference in distance.
Old 08-18-2010, 09:06 PM
Shinzo Shimozukawa
Banned

Last edited by shimozukawa; 02-16-2011 at 11:41 PM.
Old 08-19-2010, 05:52 AM
Mike Rich@rds0n

You may be right about contact versus actual energy. How about this...if you take two bats, one a 34oz and one a 40oz, chances are good that the hitting surface at the sweet spot is larger at the sweet spot of the 40oz. If you then cork the 40oz so that it swings like a 34oz, you have the velocity of swinging a 34oz with the hitting area of a 40oz. I agree that you can wait later on your swing but I'm also wondering how the cork affects the rebound/trampoline affect of the bat as the ball and bat meet. (and when we say cork, it could be rubberball shavings etc.). Quite possibly the bat now has more give at the core and creates more return energy.
Old 08-19-2010, 03:08 PM
Shinzo Shimozukawa
Banned

Last edited by shimozukawa; 02-16-2011 at 11:42 PM.
Old 08-22-2010, 02:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimozukawa View Post
In Rose's case, it's much simpler: Rose wasn't trying to hit the long ball. He was just trying to hit. Corking his bats would increase his bat speed, which would give him more time to decide whether he wanted to swing at a pitch or not. This, in turn, would increase his propensity for manufacturing a hit out of every at bat. Looking at his stats, I would have to say Rose began corking his bats between 1979-1981. This is when his SLG dropped below his OBP.
fyi, as regards Rose, the corking accusations are limited to 1985 only. No one has found any corked bats from any other year -- and there are many, many Rose bats in the hobby.