NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-05-2021, 11:39 AM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

Quote:
Originally Posted by indy500autographs View Post
Hello, I was at that Ripley auction and hoped to win the board but it went for more than I wanted to pay at the time.

I have several of the game cards but I am looking for more, I think those, as I mentioned to Kin, are really an untapped collectible.

The website isn’t mine unfortunately. That is my good friend Jim Vogel’s site. He’s also a fellow member of the “500 club” , those of us who have autographs of at least 500 of the 784 Indianapolis 500 starting drivers. He has a great website, great resource.
I apologize for the mistake, but collecting autographs of as many of the Indianapolis 500 starting drivers as possible is such a neat niche of the hobby.

Last edited by Bored5000; 10-05-2021 at 11:39 AM.
Old 10-05-2021, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored5000 View Post
I apologize for the mistake, but collecting autographs of as many of the Indianapolis 500 starting drivers as possible is such a neat niche of the hobby.
No apologies necessary! I appreciate your interest!

I have been fortunate to have my collection featured in the Indianapolis Star and Autoweek among others and I am one of the Vice-Presidents of the National Indy 500 Collectors Club. I write a column for the newsletter on autographs and the pursuit of collecting them.

I am always buying and selling vintage Indianapolis 500 autographs if people have any interest in that part of the hobby!
Old 10-06-2021, 11:20 AM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

Quote:
No apologies necessary! I appreciate your interest!

I have been fortunate to have my collection featured in the Indianapolis Star and Autoweek among others and I am one of the Vice-Presidents of the National Indy 500 Collectors Club. I write a column for the newsletter on autographs and the pursuit of collecting them.

I am always buying and selling vintage Indianapolis 500 autographs if people have any interest in that part of the hobby!
Mike Thomsen?

I am a member of the National Indy 500 Collectors Club. I love seeing what is out there as far as Indy 500 history is concerned. I thought your article a couple issues back on the three page letter you received from John Paul Jr. was fabulous. When I was a kid growing up in the late 1980s, I wrote to lots of stick and ball players as well as NASCAR drivers via their team shops. I received lot of autographs in response, but I never received a three-page letter like you received from John Paul Jr. That is extremely cool.

From what I remember, I was unable to write to any Indy car drivers, either active or retired, because I did not have addresses for any of them. Winston Cup Scene used to run a huge listing of the NASCAR shop addresses several times a year, so that was how I had those addresses.

I had actually previously read about your collection in the Indianapolis Star, Autoweek and the Toledo Blade while doing some Google searches. I just did not realize who you were when you first started posting here. I think what prompted me to do a Google search was seeing a Ray Harroun autograph sell on eBay. I know there is added appeal in Harroun being the first 500 winner, but it surprised me somewhat how much his autograph goes for, considering that he lived into the 1960s and returned to the 500 as an old man.

Last edited by Bored5000; 10-07-2021 at 11:32 AM.
Old 10-07-2021, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored5000 View Post
Mike Thomsen?

I am a member of the National Indy 500 Collectors Club. I love seeing what is out there as far as Indy 500 history is concerned. I thought your article a couple issues back on the three page letter you received from John Paul Jr. was fabulous. When I was a kid growing up in the late 1980s, I wrote to lots of stick and ball players as well as NASCAR drivers via their team shops. I received lot of autographs in response, but I never received a three-page letter like you received from John Paul Jr. That is extremely cool.

From what I remember, I was unable to write to any Indy car drivers, either active or retired, because I did not have addresses for any of them. Winston Cup Scene used to run a huge listing of the NASCAR shop addresses several times a year, so that was how I had those addresses.

I had actually previously read about your collection in the Indianapolis Star, Autoweek and the Toledo Blade while doing some Google searches. I just did not realize who you were when you first started posting here. I think what prompted me to do a Google search was seeing a Ray Harroun autograph sell on eBay. I know there is added appeal in Harroun being the first 500 winner., but it surprised me somewhat how much his autograph goes for, considering that he lived into the 1960s and returned to the 500 as an old man.
Hello, yes that is me. I am so pleased you enjoy the articles.

I enjoy doing them, I am hoping to branch out into longer blogs/articles, podcasts, similar to what Kin has done and the gentleman from Prewarsports who I am not aware of his actual name.

As far as Ray Harroun goes, there really is very little of his stuff on the market, I have only come across 15 to 20 in 30 years of collecting.

One potential reason is that he really wasn't as big of a deal until they made him the centerpiece of a lot of the celebrations in 1961, so from then on he signed more until his health declined and he passed away, but while he was there in 1951 at the Borg-Warner party, he really wasn't "feted" until 1961 when he started signing more.
Old 10-09-2021, 02:16 PM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

Quote:
Hello, yes that is me. I am so pleased you enjoy the articles.

I enjoy doing them, I am hoping to branch out into longer blogs/articles, podcasts, similar to what Kin has done and the gentleman from Prewarsports who I am not aware of his actual name.

As far as Ray Harroun goes, there really is very little of his stuff on the market, I have only come across 15 to 20 in 30 years of collecting.

One potential reason is that he really wasn't as big of a deal until they made him the centerpiece of a lot of the celebrations in 1961, so from then on he signed more until his health declined and he passed away, but while he was there in 1951 at the Borg-Warner party, he really wasn't "feted" until 1961 when he started signing more.
Thank you for the information and joining the thread. A podcast concerning your collection and some of the great rarities (aside from the drivers who do not have any examples) would be something I would definitely listen to.

I also think what Formula 1 does with their "Beyond The Grid" podcast with former/current drivers and owners makes for a great listen as well. I have been binge listening to "Beyond the Grid" over the past several months.

Last edited by Bored5000; 10-09-2021 at 02:17 PM.
Old 10-09-2021, 10:55 PM
Kin K.

Having Mike join into this thread will absolutely be an asset.

The only bad is that now he's been turned on to some of the card so we have more competition. LOL

Well, there are three of us here in the Indy500 Collector's Club. I'd love to see us have a site where we can interact, or worst case, a Facebook group. Although mentioning Facebook just gave me the heebie-jeebies.
T206/T213 Scoops Carey back run: 4/4 !00% complete

Focus: open wheel/Indy 500 cards (1911 ATC Auto Drivers (T36), 1954 Stark & Wetzel 500 Winners, 1960 Parkhurst Indy Speedway Winners & 1960s Marhoefer Indy 500), match books & post cards.

Successful purchases from dnanln, pre1960sets, jp1216 & sebie43; RAKs from CW & LuckyLarry
Old 10-10-2021, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beansballcardblog View Post

The only bad is that now he's been turned on to some of the card so we have more competition. LOL

Well, there are three of us here in the Indy500 Collector's Club. I'd love to see us have a site where we can interact, or worst case, a Facebook group. Although mentioning Facebook just gave me the heebie-jeebies.
I have always appreciated your support Kin, you are a great asset to the hobby.

I have learned about a number of interesting sets from you for certain, and I think our discussion on the Avalon Hill cards has been very beneficial to both of us as well.

I am up for a discussion group and I definitely plan a podcast soon.
Old 10-18-2021, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beansballcardblog View Post

Let's work out a group together. I would like to get a podcast going similar to what Val is doing as well. I'd like to interact with Val as well as he has so much knowledge to share.