NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-04-2012, 11:19 AM
Mike C@.v3

Default What are the reasons for an "Authentic" card?

This seems like an easy question to answer, and it probably is. But I've seen quite a few "Authentic" slabbed cards that look pretty sharp and sell for a high dollar amount. Is it possible for people to send their cards in to a TPG and ask just to slab it for authentication and not designate a number to it? If so, why would they do this? Also, wouldn't this just hurt the sale of the item b/c one would think there was something wrong with it b/c there is nothing explaining the "A" on the slab?

Just seems like these are going for too much if they are altered in one way or another.

The list for the "A" designation (off the top of my head):
1. Trimmed
2. Recolored
3. Skinned or Rebacked
4. Too much card missing for a "1" grade.
5. Certain "off" sets like Jello, Post, Bazooka, etc.,

Here are a few examples of what I'm talking about:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/260919618221

http://www.ebay.com/itm/260919614600
1938 Goudey Graded VG range 37/48
Old 02-04-2012, 12:48 PM
Brian T.

You can add "has a piece of tape on it" as another reason.

... and yes, you can simply ask for it to be Authentic as well.

Last edited by terjung; 02-04-2012 at 12:49 PM.
Old 02-04-2012, 12:54 PM
Mike C@.v3

Quote:
Originally Posted by terjung View Post
You can add "has a piece of tape on it" as another reason.

... and yes, you can simply ask for it to be Authentic as well.
Thanks for the reply. Wouldn't just Authenticating it possibly lower the selling price because there is no way of telling if something is wrong with the card. The only way is to ask the seller and we all know how honest some people actually are
1938 Goudey Graded VG range 37/48
Old 02-04-2012, 12:56 PM
G.r.eg M@r.t.i.n

Erasing a pencil or pen mark
Old 02-04-2012, 01:17 PM

I assume a card is usually graded Authentic because either it's altered (trimmed, whatever) or because the owner realizes it will be graded poor and prefers Authentic to Poor. The owner may think it looks better than the low grade it would get, so prefers the Authentic

Authentic can be assigned by the graders (almost always when the card has been altered), but the owner can also ask for that Grade.

With entombed cards that are autographed, it's a bit of a different deal. You can get a grade for the signature itself and for the card. Many autograph collectors are focused on the signature and don't feel a need for the card to be graded. They aren't into the PSA 8.5, PSA 7.32 thing. Many entombed autographed cards have no grade for either the signature or the card, just the authentic. Some cards have a grade for the signature but not the card. Either way, an Authentic grade for an autographed card doesn't mean the card has been altered. It often just means the collector wasn't interested in paying extra to get a numeric grade. All he cared about that the autograph was listed as authentic.

Last edited by drc; 02-04-2012 at 01:22 PM.
Old 02-04-2012, 05:56 PM
Steve Birmingham

I'm pretty sure that unaltered but undersized cards and ones with unusual cuts would get an "A" as well. I have two that came back from SGC with minsz and miscut top and bottom edges. I can't be sure because I chose the "don't slab as A" option.

Steve B