NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-02-2012, 03:51 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default Huggins and Scott Auctions ending this evening

As a courtesy for Huggins and Scott being a perennial and great Net54baseball advertiser I just want to let folks know their auction is ending this evening. Good luck everyone....and please don't bid on what I am bidding on ..

http://www.hugginsandscott.com/

Last edited by Leon; 02-02-2012 at 03:52 PM.
Old 02-02-2012, 05:43 PM
Reg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
As a courtesy for Huggins and Scott being a perennial and great Net54baseball advertiser I just want to let folks know their auction is ending this evening. Good luck everyone....and please don't bid on what I am bidding on ..

http://www.hugginsandscott.com/

Wow! Just logged in to see where some of the T206s I've bid on are at, prices seem pretty high when you add in the BP. They seem way higher than what things have been ending on the bay? Granted some of the cards are pretty strong for their grade but.... I guess I'm missing something??? It almost seems this way with every auction house?? Why do the prices seem to end higher (with the BP) than what they go for on the bay?
Old 02-03-2012, 07:49 AM
Steven

Reg: Couldnt agree more. I here on the board about professional services, guarantees, etc. Ive won from 5 auction houses now, paid top dollar for every one, paid high shipping fees and some dont take cc or pp...PITFA. Ebay just seems to have less on it compared to the growing number on the auction houses with their outrageous BP....rant is over.
Old 02-03-2012, 08:38 AM
Scott

Default lot #1

lot #1 was a nice assortment of cards, went for $14000...

but i cant imagine all the GLUE on the back of those cards to keep them in place in such a strange circular display pattern...

also a mystery as to what backs there are...hmmm like rolling the dice maybe?
Old 02-03-2012, 08:41 AM
Josh Margolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas-guy View Post
Wow! Just logged in to see where some of the T206s I've bid on are at, prices seem pretty high when you add in the BP. They seem way higher than what things have been ending on the bay? Granted some of the cards are pretty strong for their grade but.... I guess I'm missing something??? It almost seems this way with every auction house?? Why do the prices seem to end higher (with the BP) than what they go for on the bay?
I agree completely. The lot of Matty, Young and Johnson SGC 30s had my eye, but at that price w/premium, I was convinced I could do better on Ebay.
Old 02-03-2012, 08:47 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default somebody

Somebody else seems to be collecting the photos used to make cards with. The little Double Play Greenberg - Newsome combo cost me a few pretty pennies.

To expound on the above thoughts, there are some folks who don't have the time or inkling to mess with ebay anymore, therefore they bid strong in auctions which cater to their interests.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pphotogreenbergdoubleplay.jpg (67.3 KB, 216 views)
Old 02-03-2012, 09:05 AM
P.hil €lli$

If anybody here won Lot #6 which was (59) SGC50 T206s, there is one Hall of Famer in that group that I would really like to get my hands on.

PM or email if you are interested in parting with one of your HOFers.
Old 02-03-2012, 09:47 AM
€r!©k §µmmær$

Quote:
To expound on the above thoughts, there are some folks who don't have the time or inkling to mess with ebay anymore, therefore they bid strong in auctions which cater to their interests.
I think you hit the nail on the head. The lot of 103 SGC 40 T206s went for a 50% premium over eBay in my opinion.
Old 02-03-2012, 10:05 AM
Steven

Quote:
What exactly do these auction houses do that caters so much to these folks? I am no high roller, and as usual Im sure I am missing something. But I typically pay more in shipping, wait longer to get the item and pay more to win it in the first place. I just seem to be finding less on ebay these days and am using the auction houses more out of necessity than desire. Not trying to bag on the auction houses, just staing the truth in my limited experience.
Old 02-03-2012, 10:11 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainier2004 View Post
I just seem to be finding less on ebay these days and am using the auction houses more out of necessity than desire.
You answered your own question. Also, How about the dozens of shady auctions, reprints, fraud and so forth on ebay? Of course auction houses aren't perfect but you don't see the amount of issues you do on ebay, not even remotely close imo. That being said I still like ebay, even with it's pimples.
Old 02-03-2012, 10:29 AM
Pete
Pet.er ian.nic.elli

1. Huggins and Scott is great

2. If you have the time, energy, and patience to weed through ebay, you can build a very strong collection for a small amount of money. Just my two cents.

W600 Cobb and Wagner
Sporting News/Collins McCarthy Jackson
Seamless Cobb rookie
Low Grade Ruth rookie

Cards:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/189414509@N08/albums
Old 02-03-2012, 11:40 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
You answered your own question. Also, How about the dozens of shady auctions, reprints, fraud and so forth on ebay? Of course auction houses aren't perfect but you don't see the amount of issues you do on ebay, not even remotely close imo. That being said I still like ebay, even with it's pimples.
I buy plenty of stuff off ebay, AND through the auction houses - in both cases you have to dig around for the deals.

I find it interesting that some are complaining about auction house prices, and comparing them to ebay prices. I hesitate to say this, but...

...are you guys just really cheap? The items that go cheap on ebay are generally either BIN accidents (seller didn't know he could sell for more), or straight auctions with no reserves, and are almost always single cards, and are generally run-of-the-mill cards that most advanced collectors couldn't care less about. I see people complain here about the high ebay BIN's, and how they yearn for the good old days when you could see lots of straight auctions, but...

...those days are gone, and I think it's your fault. The new 'market value' is what you pay for singles from auctions like Huggins and Scott and the high BIN's on ebay (generally lowered by the 'make offer' prices and the offline email deals). The straight auctions for highly desirable cards might get up there, but rarely does anything else. By refusing to bid straight ebay auctions up to these 'market value' prices, you have effectively killed the ebay auctions for decent cards. I suspect the ones that go for high amounts in straight auctions are shilled up.

Sellers can sell their cards for what they want, using auction houses and high BIN's, so they have no need for the 'take it up the @ss' ebay auctions.

Okay, now slaughter me.
Old 02-03-2012, 12:11 PM
Steven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
I buy plenty of stuff off ebay, AND through the auction houses - in both cases you have to dig around for the deals.

...are you guys just really cheap?
I can see your point about deals on both places, just needing to dig around, and yes I am cheap...

My comments are NOT about prices but why would you be willing to pay more for card x from an auction house b/c they "cater to you"...i dont feel they cater to me with higher s/h fees and slower ship times PLUS paying them a premium. Slaughter?

Last edited by rainier2004; 02-03-2012 at 12:11 PM.
Old 02-03-2012, 12:12 PM
I@n Cl@rke

Quote:
so they have no need for the 'take it up the @ss' ebay auctions..
Scott, I ended up with one of your T205's (Bresnahan). I don't have access to VCP but assume it sold for a good deal under fair market price, and was about 15-20% lower than my high bid. I'd probably also have been willing to fight some more had someone exceded my high bid, but no one did. It's a relatively low dollar card but multiplied by the number of cards in your offering (or any other true auctions) I can see how those hits would add up fast.

I've bought some really nice cards from you recently, and hope your auctions even out eventually.

Thanks,
Ian
Old 02-03-2012, 12:20 PM
Reg

Quote:
Okay, now slaughter me.
Lol! I'm pretty new to the auctions houses (just registered for most in the last 3 mo.) but from what I see some of the cards just bring crazy prices. I wouldn't say I'm cheap but I do (like most) like a deal. I guess I haven't got to the point that I can't find something on eBay yet, my collection is still pretty small and I have a lot of cards I would like to get that pop up from time to time. If the "market" price is what the auction houses are bringing I'm fine with that, I was just surprised how much higher they are?
Old 02-03-2012, 12:21 PM
I@n Cl@rke

.. re- auction houses, I received my Goodwin winning yesterday (my first), only a week after the auction closed. I was mindful of BP and shipping when I made my max bid the day the auction opened. I like that their format sort of promotes early bidding rather than waiting till auction's end to snipe like eBay. I think the price was fair, and their quick shipment far exceeded my expection based on other auction house purchases. I couldn't be happier with them, but do also see/understand previously mentioned points regarding auction houses.
Old 02-03-2012, 12:53 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

I won the taxi driver poster, thought I did decent it will be close to 450 linen backed, copper framed and shipped

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 02-03-2012, 01:00 PM
Belltown Vintage

Guys, I really appreciate your light-hearted response to my post .

When I said 'slaughter me', I was referring to this post, not to Sunday night when many of you actually did . It's all good - I have been testing various auction formats for slabbed and raw cards, and am still of the opinion that selling raw commons, or slabbed low to mid-grade non-rarities, individually on ebay in an auction-style format, is generally not in a seller's best interest. Thus, the high BIN's that you guys complain about.

Regarding high prices in the auction houses, I was surprised at what the complete T205 set went for in the Clean Sweep Auction Wednesday night - I had it valued at $30,000, cards priced individually. It went for about that, with the juice, me being the underbidder. Great, great set, with lots of higher-grade rarities.
Old 02-03-2012, 01:08 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by itjclarke View Post
Scott, I ended up with one of your T205's (Bresnahan). I don't have access to VCP but assume it sold for a good deal under fair market price, and was about 15-20% lower than my high bid. I'd probably also have been willing to fight some more had someone exceded my high bid, but no one did. It's a relatively low dollar card but multiplied by the number of cards in your offering (or any other true auctions) I can see how those hits would add up fast.

I've bought some really nice cards from you recently, and hope your auctions even out eventually.

Thanks,
Ian
Thanks, Ian. No biggy - I'm glad you got the Bresnahan. I love going through huge stacks of raw cards, so I'll continue to buy those, just for the fun of it, but I'll value them a bit lower in the future. I think it goes back to childhood when Dad would buy bags of pennies from the gum ball man, and we would sort through them on the living room floor. Huge lots of raw cards are similar - you never know what oddities you might find.
Old 02-03-2012, 01:36 PM

I think it's obvious that the high prices realized for last night's auction were due to the descriptions
Old 02-03-2012, 01:44 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orioles1954 View Post
I think it's obvious that the high prices realized for last night's auction were due to the descriptions
There were descriptions? I only look at pictures.
Old 02-03-2012, 01:49 PM

Quote:
There were descriptions? I only look at pictures.
Ha! I'm in charge of plotting those as well.
Old 02-03-2012, 01:55 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orioles1954 View Post
Ha! I'm in charge of plotting those as well.
Of course I was only kidding...I did read the descriptions and they were nice and succinct. I just wish there weren't the other bidders costing me money.