NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-22-2012, 01:17 PM

Default Homemade display

This is definitely something off-beat that my father made for me for my Christmas present to use as a display, he does woodworking for a living. We talked about doing something related to our hometown, Kearny NJ and Dots Miller, who is not only from Kearny but also directly related to six of our relatives. Dot's original house is right around the corner and a couple blocks from my first house, was still in the family until late 2009. I'll post the picture from in town where we got the actual idea we went with, then the display he made along with the inside which hasn't been put together yet(there are 9 more items to put in), probably going to go with velcro to keep the cards in place. Just figured I'd share it here because I really like it and it turned out great.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kearny.jpg (72.2 KB, 608 views)
File Type: jpg P1000328.jpg (63.3 KB, 606 views)
File Type: jpg P1000329.jpg (65.1 KB, 609 views)
File Type: jpg P1000331.jpg (61.7 KB, 607 views)
Check out my two newest books. One covers the life and baseball career of Dots Miller, who was mentored by Honus Wagner as a rookie for the 1909 Pirates, then became a mentor for a young Rogers Hornsby. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CV633PNT The other has 13 short stories of players who were with the Pittsburgh Pirates during the regular season, but never played in a game for the team https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CY574YNS
Old 01-22-2012, 05:44 PM
Richard A.

Creative idea for a display...I like it.

Am curious too, to see the final configuration when it's done. Would be interested in hearing how well the velcro goes if that's what you go with.

Thanks for sharing,

Richard.
Old 01-22-2012, 06:02 PM

That is very cool! Great job
Old 01-22-2012, 06:08 PM

I was actually hoping that someone chimed in about the velco idea. I have a sweet cap pin and a whitehead and hoag pin so not exactly sure how to get those in there, would have to be pretty small pieces of velcro not to be visible but I guess if its black it wouldn't show up with the background.

The rest of the items not shown besides those two pins are:
T206
T205
E90
E92
1922 zeenut
Colgans chip
B18 Blanket
Check out my two newest books. One covers the life and baseball career of Dots Miller, who was mentored by Honus Wagner as a rookie for the 1909 Pirates, then became a mentor for a young Rogers Hornsby. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CV633PNT The other has 13 short stories of players who were with the Pittsburgh Pirates during the regular season, but never played in a game for the team https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CY574YNS
Old 01-23-2012, 05:56 AM
Richard A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by z28jd View Post
I was actually hoping that someone chimed in about the velco idea. I have a sweet cap pin and a whitehead and hoag pin so not exactly sure how to get those in there, would have to be pretty small pieces of velcro not to be visible but I guess if its black it wouldn't show up with the background.
What intrigues me about the velcro idea is that it would allow you to display items of various sizes without having to commit to a given shelf configuration while also granting you the flexibility of rotating what's on display.

In my mind I'm picturing one large piece [or pieces] of velcro covering the entire inside of the display, and then the back of each display piece having the opposite velcro on the corners. That way you can rotate the pieces, take them down to look at [and see the back], etc. Of course, this presupposes that you want to glue velcro to all of your holders.

As for those smaller items -- assuming you don't want to get them graded just for the holder -- perhaps there is some kind of standard card holder [that isn't a top loader] that you can use, and possibly cut out coloured backing to surround the pin/chip, etc.

Just some thinking out loud before I head to work...

Good luck!

Richard.
Old 01-23-2012, 11:01 AM
Ken Wirt

I use screw top hard plastic holders for all my non-graded cards. They closely match the graded cases. I have thought about the velcro idea also. Not having to commit to a shelf separation distance, because of differing card sizes, is an important consideration. The idea of a display resembling a mosaic is appealing.
Old 01-23-2012, 11:07 AM
Belltown Vintage

John, that's great. When are you sending me the original image from Dots' T206 ?!?
Old 01-23-2012, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
John, that's great. When are you sending me the original image from Dots' T206 ?!?
Have you ever thought Scott, that since he only started playing in 1909 that they may not have had an original photo of him and that was just an artists rendition of what he may look like at the plate with no crowd or anything else behind him?

If I find it you will definitely be in the top 5 of people I tell right away
Old 01-23-2012, 04:53 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by z28jd View Post
Have you ever thought Scott, that since he only started playing in 1909 that they may not have had an original photo of him and that was just an artists rendition of what he may look like at the plate with no crowd or anything else behind him?

If I find it you will definitely be in the top 5 of people I tell right away
John, that is a really good idea, but I bet they had a photo - there were photos of almost anyone who ever wore a baseball uniform. From looking at T206Resource.com, it looks like the '350 only' series was printed in 1910, but I could be reading it wrong.
Old 01-23-2012, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
John, that is a really good idea, but I bet they had a photo - there were photos of almost anyone who ever wore a baseball uniform. From looking at T206Resource.com, it looks like the '350 only' series was printed in 1910, but I could be reading it wrong.
They probably had one but I've never seen it anywhere. I know a lot of those pictures are old horner photos, that's how they mixed up Lucky Wright with Eugene Wright and Otto Krueger with Art Kruger, because they just went with pictures of who they thought was the player, they didn't have someone go there and take a pic then make a drawing. Like I said, if I find it I will let you know right away and I'd hope if anyone else found it, or knows of it already, they would do the same
Old 01-23-2012, 07:37 PM

Default T206

Great idea johnny Tell pops i said hi.....

Old 02-04-2012, 10:48 AM

Final draft of the display. Used velcro. Here's why it's in the order it is.

graded cards all at the bottom, same pose straight down the middle, batting poses down the right side, similar backgrounds/color all at the top, and pins just happened to go above the other smaller item.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1000335.jpg (69.3 KB, 108 views)
File Type: jpg P1000332.jpg (61.5 KB, 106 views)
Old 02-04-2012, 11:47 AM
Joe Gonsowski

Nicely done, can keep them safe and dark with a great looking cover and display when desired. May need to build an addition if new items are found.
- 19th century Detroit memorabilia and cards with emphasis on Goodwin & Co. issues ( N172 / N173 / N175 ) and Tomlinson cabinets
- N333 SF Hess Newsboys League cards (all teams)
- Pre ATC Merger (1890 and prior) cigarette packs and redemption coupons from all manufacturers
Old 02-04-2012, 12:11 PM

Well I figured I could always do the inside of the cover although I do want to print out a stat sheet and put that on there. I pretty much made sure I had all the cards I wanted first before I did this. Didn't find the 2nd zeenut yet so that could always go where the pins are and then they could be displayed different. I'm not a big fan of the Tip Top cards even though they're all Pirates so I never bought that and he has a lot of poses repeated through sets
Old 02-04-2012, 12:42 PM
J0N PEDEℜSѺN

Not to hijack the thread - but this is what I emailed z28jd:

Beautiful display. I made the mistake of showing this to my father-in-law (the box builder). He loves the idea. We were tossing a similar idea a couple years ago. More of a dart board style - 2 doors vs. one. After seeing this, I like the one door better. Endless possibilities with the exterior. Design, mirror, plain etc... Maybe a Net54 design? LOL. Velcro is great, or thin adjustable shelves.
Nice work.

He gave me the go ahead. I'm looking for ideas, designs etc to create similar displays. Any demand? Send PMs