NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 12-08-2007, 09:30 AM
Administrator

Default New Pennant and Request for Feedback.

Posted By: Mike H

This is a December pick up, but I thought it justified a new post. As many of you know, pennants are an area of strong interest for me (as are many other types of memorabilia). However, until recently I had never landed an oversized pennant or a pennant that dates to the teens. That has now changed. We have all marvelled over the collection of our own Mark Steinberg who has one of the finest pennant collections extant. Mark has added significantly to this board and posted some of the most impressive examples of memorabilia I have seen in some time. Recently, Mark gave me an opportunity to acquire one of his treasured large Tigers pennants. I have never seen another example of this piece and fell in love with it the second I laid eyes on it. The combination of size (14 x 36 not including tassels), rich deep color, incredibly detailed tiger head, and unique script text simply blew me away. Thank you Mark.
Now for my question. I am going to have it mounted in an archival quality setting with uv blocking glass etc. I would like to hear your thoughts regarding a background color and frame color. Based on how it looks laying on the Oak table, Im leaning toward a brown background with a tone similar to the colors in the Tiger head and an ornate black, or very dark brown period frame. What do you guys think?

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

Old 12-08-2007, 09:49 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

Wow. Just wow! Awesome pennant Mike!!!

As for background color I like the color of the lettering and for frame color I'd go with black.

Old 12-08-2007, 10:38 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan

WOW! I love that pennant. Very cool! Congratulations!

Old 12-08-2007, 10:57 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Greg Theberge

That is an absolutely gorgeous pennant Mike.

I like Dan's Idea. You don't want the background too dark and a medium tan would look great against a black frame.

I tend to like a strong and heavy/masculine frame that would be appropriate to the period, rather than a more modern frame. Maybe something like this

At least we don't have to worry about these things ever getting slabbed - the most profane and utterly unjust thing anyone can do to a piece of history.

Old 12-08-2007, 11:36 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark

I agree.... I think Dan and Greg nailed it. A tan-toned Mat to match the "Detroit" graphics, and a black frame. You can never go wrong with a Black frame, plus (in this case) it will perfetly compliment the black felt.

I am so glad that this fine piece could go to a such a great collector as Mike... hope you enjoy it for years to come!

Old 12-08-2007, 12:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike H

Thanks fellas. I just returned from a couple framers. Both suggested mounting in a way that allows the pennant to breath (1/4 to 1/2")between the glass and pennant. Both want to stitch from the back in a few spots (obviously without going through the pennant)and use a bit of acid free museum tape in a few spots to mount on a cloth covered backer board. What do you guys think of that?

I liked the backgrounds that were a little bit squash (but not yellow) colored like the lettering or darker tan. I'm definately going with a black frame. Oh, and it's gonna be around $500, but I feel it's important to protect this piece for the next collector I'm preserving it for (He or she will be prying it out of my dead hands, but I'd like it to be in good shape when they do).

Greg, you used suade on that Red Sox pennant correct? Any other mounting suggestions?

Side note: My wife is being totally cool about this whole thing!

Old 12-08-2007, 12:22 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark

Mike:
I bet it will be beautiful...

But I don't fully understand about the "Breathing" thing. I understand that in order to allow it to "breathe", they must secure it to the backing. I am personally just leary of stitching or taping the pennant on the back side.

I guess you can test their tape on a cheaper pennant first, just to be sure it does not "pull off" any of the felt when removed.

Greg:
Your Red Sox example looks like it is right up against the glass. Is this correct? I know that on a previous post, you showed a different framed pennant with a "cut out" in the Mat (around the perimeter of the pennant). That one appeared to have room to breath, probably having a slight gap between the pennant and the glass. Assuming so, how was that one secured to the backing?

I realize this sounds very OCD... but am just curious about alternatives, as I have a bunch of these framed, using only pressure (spring clips) to hold them directly against the glass.

Old 12-08-2007, 12:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Aaron M.

Neutral color on the matting, black or dark wood frame, UV-protected glass, museum tape, and let that sucker breathe so you can appreciate the texture of the pennant (ala the below). Can't wait to see it framed, Mike!

Old 12-08-2007, 03:28 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Greg Theberge

Mike, Mark, Aaron, Dan, guys...

The Red Pennant shown above is stitched in a few spots to the matt. You can't see the stitching at all. I believe it's an invisible stitch that's placed. I THINK the way its done is that the needle is placed into the cloth at a 45 degree angle, it then penetrates the matt, goes out of the matt and back into the pennant at another 45 degree and into the same first needle pass so that you don't see a stitch. (We used to do this placing trim on hats when I used to do Revolutionary War reenacting years ago - you never see the stitching). Anyway, the pennant does NOT touch the glass. Your framer is correct, you have to let the piece be away from the glass to breath.

The second option on my two other pennants is that the pennants are in a clear plastic sleeve. They're held in by friction I believe. This sleeve is then placed behind the matting. You DO see the plastic sleeve when you look at it on an angle.

Personally I like the first way (stitched) better. It's done with museum quality attention (be sure to put archival glass and matting in place to avoid acids and uv penetration).

Of course, then be ready to bend over big time. Framing is ridiculous in price now. I think I dropped close to $300 on framing for the one I pictured (the other two came in frames, they're ok, but not exactly what I would have done if I chose the framing).

Here are some shots, hard to take because of the flash.

In either case, Mike, that is one AWESOME pennant. It should go in the living room.

Greg

Invisible stitch at points, pennant on matt, off glass

Pennant in plastic(?) sleeve, under matt. OK, but Kinda shiney when you look at it from an angle

Old 12-08-2007, 06:31 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Clint

Mike, I think you could frame that with a toilet seat and it would still look awesome. Just like the Mona Lisa, nobody is going to remember the frame once they see this pennant. Congratulations on aquiring such a spectacular piece.

Clint

Old 12-09-2007, 09:54 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Keith

Beautiful Pennant Mike, I love those oversized pennants. I too would go with a solid black frame with a tan/orange background matt.